Manitoba NDP Shopping Spree

Manitoban sure seem to like the way us NDP'ers do things, they have given us a bigger majority every time! The conservative party is practically extinct in Manitoba. Good. The cons sold off our telephone system and if they ever get back in they will sell off our power company. They are puppets of the silver spoon crowd. Yeah bring back the Jets, thats what manitobans care about pfffffft! The conservatives fear mongering crime ads really helped them a lot too didn't they? We are not a bunch of scared little pussies who are afraid of poor people, well except those overfed,overpaid, trust fund babies that regularly vote conservative.

Winnipegers like the way NDP does things

Struthers is toast next election, he narrowly beat a rookie PCer who entered the campaign late. If what Dobbin says is true about the Liberals influencing the NDP, look to them to get more votes. The NDP is going to hurt in it's rural ridings due to it's hog moratorium. I expect the Liberals to pick up some seats in Winnipeg.

The cons are in power in Saskatchewan, Sasktel and Saskpower and SGI still are crowns.

What's wrong with selling the power company, I'd like to invest in MB hydro and have more competition so my power bill goes down.

Having people in at the legislature to complain at 2 in the morning does not look good for any government. I expect a change next time around.

Hell, if Dobbin wanted to run in Winnipeg in the next election, I'd change my signature to vote Dobbin. Whatever gets those commies out of the legislature.

Edited by blueblood

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winnipegers like the way NDP does things

not a winnipegger, definitely rural, heavy hog factory area, landslide for our guy, bigger landslide each of last 3 elections. the 3 or 4 guys that own the pig factories might be mad but 90% of us are happy that the mla's listened to what we were askin them to do and moved forward. We fully support the moratorium.

it is the pig factories that have killed off the small operation(see family farm) not anything the government has done. I'm sure the very wealthy people that own the pig factories won't vote for us next time, oh well I guess we will only win with 75% of the vote next time.

Struthers is toast next election, he narrowly beat a rookie PCer who entered the campaign late. If what Dobbin says is true about the Liberals influencing the NDP, look to them to get more votes. The NDP is going to hurt in it's rural ridings due to it's hog moratorium. I expect the Liberals to pick up some seats in Winnipeg.

The NDP are risk adverse. They don't introduce a lot of leglation. Half the bills passes last year started off as private members bills, many introduced by the Liberals but some by the Tories.

The Conservatives performed much better in the last session of the Legislature. However, the way the NDP uses the House makes it difficult to get accountability. Until last year, the NDP had ensured some committees didn't meet or they cut short the legislature to very few sitting days.

The Tories run into a big problem each time they try to make gains: Gary Doer.

He is extremely popular and pulls his party ahead with him. The Tories have to chip away at Doer's credibility.

The cons are in power in Saskatchewan, Sasktel and Saskpower and SGI still are crowns.

What's wrong with selling the power company, I'd like to invest in MB hydro and have more competition so my power bill goes down.

Doubtful that bill will go down. The Tories made the argument that MTS bills would stay the same or go down. They haven't in general. A Crown needs to pay corporate tax and that alone means they need to increase bills to pay for that. It was true of MTS, it would be true of Manitoba Hydro.

The Tories are not likely to campaign to sell Manitoba Hydro. It is a non-starter in Manitoba.

Having people in at the legislature to complain at 2 in the morning does not look good for any government. I expect a change next time around.

Hell, if Dobbin wanted to run in Winnipeg in the next election, I'd change my signature to vote Dobbin. Whatever gets those commies out of the legislature.

My riding presently has a long term Tory in it.

Here in Alberta our experience with the PC's selling off provincial crown corporations should be food for thought for any who desire the same outcome for their own provincial citizens. Our utility bills went up drastically, the companies now make far more money and pay less in taxes than they used to. Good deal for investors, they were sold off at fire sale prices and now make large profits.

The NDP are risk adverse. They don't introduce a lot of leglation. Half the bills passes last year started off as private members bills, many introduced by the Liberals but some by the Tories.

The Conservatives performed much better in the last session of the Legislature. However, the way the NDP uses the House makes it difficult to get accountability. Until last year, the NDP had ensured some committees didn't meet or they cut short the legislature to very few sitting days.

The Tories run into a big problem each time they try to make gains: Gary Doer.

He is extremely popular and pulls his party ahead with him. The Tories have to chip away at Doer's credibility.

Doubtful that bill will go down. The Tories made the argument that MTS bills would stay the same or go down. They haven't in general. A Crown needs to pay corporate tax and that alone means they need to increase bills to pay for that. It was true of MTS, it would be true of Manitoba Hydro.

The Tories are not likely to campaign to sell Manitoba Hydro. It is a non-starter in Manitoba.

My riding presently has a long term Tory in it.

Could always run in another riding :lol:

I find my MTS bill to be very reasonable compared to the competition. I'm thinking if MB Hydro is a crown corporation that exports a lot of electricity, why is my hydro still increasing? That's a good point, the NDP raising corporate tax rates when the fed Libs/Cons were decreasing them is actually hurting Manitobans on their hydro bill. I can understand that coming from a private company, but a crown corporation that exports? In theory there should be the Venezuela thing happening and I get dirt cheap hydro and the "foreigners" get "soaked".

Doer has really angered the rural population with his hog moratorium. You and I both know that hog barns are not the only cause of pollution in Lake Winnipeg. There is also the city of Winnipeg itself and people like myself who use fertilizer. All those cause the perfect storm. (Perfect reservoir for Algae ethanol when the technology comes...) My MLA Struthers is toast next election, this was partly his baby, he is the minister responsible for this and has a lot of explaining to do in a predominantly agricultural riding why he wants to attack the ag industry and what ag industry is next in the NDP agenda. Struthers barely beat a rookie PCer who entered the race late. The NDP has also been a real pain in the neck to small business owners starting up, I've heard of a couple that have failed because of ridiculous gov't red tape. Problems in the rural areas with NDP seats might open the doors up for Liberals in Winnipeg to steal.

A well run Liberal campaign will put the NDP out of office, the tories need the Liberals to pull off a win. If the tories win it would be a minority and that would be happy days for the MB Liberals.

As for the NDP being risk adverse, they hit a landmine with the hog moratorium. Other than that I agree.

As for the NDP being risk adverse, they hit a landmine with the hog moratorium. Other than that I agree.

I really haven't seen the uproar that your talking about. The people who hated the NDP before still hate them now and have another reason to complain, thats about it.

I really haven't seen the uproar that your talking about. The people who hated the NDP before still hate them now and have another reason to complain, thats about it.

The legislature packed with farmers till the wee hours of the morning, billboards, an advertising campaign, and media coverage is not an uproar???

The legislature packed with farmers till the wee hours of the morning, billboards, an advertising campaign, and media coverage is not an uproar???

Most farmers rarely support the NDP. A majority of western farmers have a conservative mindset to begin with and so they just don't. Its certainly ot the NDP power base.

Doer has really angered the rural population with his hog moratorium.

Wrong again, MOST rural folks are really happy about the hog moratorium especially in areas of high pig factory concentrations. Sure the wealthy pig factory owners are mad, but the rest of us (who are often downwind) are thrilled that the government has put a stop to hog factory expansion. You are greatly overestimating the ammount of ppl who will vote against the NDP over the hog barn issue. Like usual the wealthy conservatives think everyone thinks like they do but the fact is most of us don't. I bet we get an even bigger majority next time around. All we need is mcfayden to promise the jets, run some fear mongeriing ads, and promise to expand the pig factories and it should be an almost unanimous win for the NDP.

Most rural Manitobans are happy with the NDP??? Really???

Undert the NDP, more ER's have been closed in rural locations with decent populations like Virden and Killarney.

The NDP have made it very difficult to recruit foreign doctors to our rural hospitals. Many foreign doctors won't even consider Manitoba anymore beecause of the difficulties imposed.

You don't know everything Mr. Greenthumb.

Most rural Manitobans are happy with the NDP??? Really???

Undert the NDP, more ER's have been closed in rural locations with decent populations like Virden and Killarney.

The NDP have made it very difficult to recruit foreign doctors to our rural hospitals. Many foreign doctors won't even consider Manitoba anymore beecause of the difficulties imposed.

You don't know everything Mr. Greenthumb.

And yet, the number of doctors in the province is on the rise. It is tough to get them to work in Rural areas, but the problem is being looked at and will be addressed. Its not a problem of who is in government, its a problem of doctors not wanting to work outside of large centres.

Also, the ARHA seems to be about the worst at this type of thing. It may be something to look at.

Edited by Smallc

Wrong again, MOST rural folks are really happy about the hog moratorium especially in areas of high pig factory concentrations. Sure the wealthy pig factory owners are mad, but the rest of us (who are often downwind) are thrilled that the government has put a stop to hog factory expansion. You are greatly overestimating the ammount of ppl who will vote against the NDP over the hog barn issue. Like usual the wealthy conservatives think everyone thinks like they do but the fact is most of us don't. I bet we get an even bigger majority next time around. All we need is mcfayden to promise the jets, run some fear mongeriing ads, and promise to expand the pig factories and it should be an almost unanimous win for the NDP.

The NDP running on how anti-business they are, their policies are keeping us behind other energy exporting provinces such as Sask, and Alberta. That hog moratorium also applies to every hog producer in Manitoba, even the little guys. Even if a person owns 20 pigs, they cannot buy another one in Southern Manitoba all because a few elitists think that pig farmers aren't allowed to get ahead. What ag industry is next? What other business in Manitoba is the NDP going to shut down because some elitists are complaining. Saying who can and can't run a business is not a policy that goes well with the electorate. The left leaning federal Liberal party even knows that.

I'm seeing one long sitting cabinet minister gone the next election at least, maybe two. To think all conservatives are loaded is hogwash, I live in one of the poorest ridings in Canada and my tory MP had more votes than all the other parties put together.

The NDP running on how anti-business they are, their policies are keeping us behind other energy exporting provinces such as Sask, and Alberta. That hog moratorium also applies to every hog producer in Manitoba, even the little guys. Even if a person owns 20 pigs, they cannot buy another one in Southern Manitoba all because a few elitists think that pig farmers aren't allowed to get ahead. What ag industry is next? What other business in Manitoba is the NDP going to shut down because some elitists are complaining. Saying who can and can't run a business is not a policy that goes well with the electorate. The left leaning federal Liberal party even knows that.

I'm seeing one long sitting cabinet minister gone the next election at least, maybe two. To think all conservatives are loaded is hogwash, I live in one of the poorest ridings in Canada and my tory MP had more votes than all the other parties put together.

AFAIK, you can buy pigs in Manitoba, just not if you live in certain areas.

Oh, and according to CBC, the average income for Dauphin - Swan River - Marquette in 2006 was almost 45000, average for Canada and North America. It does though, have a higher than average unemployment rate for Canada and even more so than the province in general at 6.3 percent (mind you, that was 2006, and given recent increases in economic activity throughout the province [even if you haven't seen it] it is probably less than that).

http://www.cbc.ca/canadavotes/riding/217/

Edited by Smallc

Could always run in another riding :lol:

I still have five or so ridings all around me that are either Tory or Liberal.

It wouldn't be easy to run in a riding outside of my area again.

I find my MTS bill to be very reasonable compared to the competition. I'm thinking if MB Hydro is a crown corporation that exports a lot of electricity, why is my hydro still increasing? That's a good point, the NDP raising corporate tax rates when the fed Libs/Cons were decreasing them is actually hurting Manitobans on their hydro bill. I can understand that coming from a private company, but a crown corporation that exports? In theory there should be the Venezuela thing happening and I get dirt cheap hydro and the "foreigners" get "soaked".

The MTS bill went up for everyone after the sale to private interests. The Tories said it would stay the same.

Hydro in Manitoba remains amongst the lowest in North America.

A well run Liberal campaign will put the NDP out of office, the tories need the Liberals to pull off a win. If the tories win it would be a minority and that would be happy days for the MB Liberals.

The Liberals were widely acknowledged to have run a good campaign in terms of policy. It didn't matter with the incredible popularity of Doer.

The NDP has been nothing but bad for Manitoba. They remain popular for one reason only: People are stupid.

So you say. The majority however would disagree that the NDP have been bad for the province with the second fastest growing economy in the country and full employment.

Edited by Smallc

• 2 weeks later...
You are really grasping at straws now. You are just mad the Hugh Mcfayden couldn't "bring back the jets" lol :)

I'm not grasping at straws, this is going to cost me a lot of money. Leave it to the NDP to screw over the small business man. I'm mad because some idiot from Winnipeg doesn't know how to drive and wrecked it for the rest of us.

If I burn my windrows, I go to jail. Looks like I have a bunch of straw to give away...

There's no authorization, it's a flat no.

It's bad for those who know how to burn properly. I mean when a person can't see far, drive slower.

I'm not grasping at straws, this is going to cost me a lot of money. Leave it to the NDP to screw over the small business man. I'm mad because some idiot from Winnipeg doesn't know how to drive and wrecked it for the rest of us.

If I burn my windrows, I go to jail. Looks like I have a bunch of straw to give away...

There's no authorization, it's a flat no.

It's bad for those who know how to burn properly. I mean when a person can't see far, drive slower.

Is this the answer farmers? Suck it up and if a few people die, it is their fault.

There have been a number of times when the wind shifted and fire streaked across the road and people died. And people wonder why there is anger at farmers sneaking out in the middle of the night and setting their land afire.

It is the same lack of responsibility that we saw with the cops in the Taman affair.

So, let' see this citation for a complete ban on stubble burning.

Is this the answer farmers? Suck it up and if a few people die, it is their fault.

There have been a number of times when the wind shifted and fire streaked across the road and people died. And people wonder why there is anger at farmers sneaking out in the middle of the night and setting their land afire.

It is the same lack of responsibility that we saw with the cops in the Taman affair.

So, let' see this citation for a complete ban on stubble burning.

The gov't site says it is a complete ban, but you can appeal.

What you pointed out is irresponsible burning. A couple of idiots ruined it for the rest of us.

Lets not kid ourselves, driving over a hundred clicks in poor visibility is stupidity in itself.

In my area, a lot of producers burn the chaff windrows in a heavy dew in the middle of October when there is no wind. Complete with an 80 ft. fireguard. There is no roaring fire.

The gov't site says it is a complete ban, but you can appeal.

I have still not seen anything to indicate a complete ban.

What you pointed out is irresponsible burning. A couple of idiots ruined it for the rest of us.

No kidding. On several occasions smoke blew suddenly over the busiest highways in the province and people were hurt.