How Immigration Policy has Created a "Cultureless" Canada

jbg

I speak English with a fairly noticeable French-Canadian accent. I suppose I am not Canadian enough.

And how does a Canadian drsses, pray tell?

My mother never liked hockey. I suppose she wasn't Canadian enough

We obviously do not share the same belief or the same attitude towards freedom and our fellow citizens (meaning, among other things, I do not think of slavery as a good idea). I suppose I am not Canadian enough.

As it was said by someone else on this thread, nothing that didn't happen with immigrants who came before. It actually started with the English and French settlers.

Canadians, like any other people, have a certain shared vision and cultural value set which constitutes the collective personality of the country. Arrogant, obnoxious, poorly educated Frenchmen are part of that mix.

Unfortunately.

Everything you put into the mix becomes a part of a nation's personality.

Now if you add in hundreds of thousands of people every year whose cultural value system and belief set are wildly different than that of Canadians you're going to begin to shift that "Canadian" personality. It's unavoidable. So if you people are comfortable with growing communities of anti-semitic, homophobic mysogenists who don't believe in basic freedoms then so be it. But don't pretend they're not going to have an affect.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canadians, like any other people, have a certain shared vision and cultural value set which constitutes the collective personality of the country.

And of course, part of that shared vision is Multiculturalism, meaning in general, Canadians see having many cultures being present within the Canadian nation as being a positive factor, you however, don't see things that way:

Arrogant, obnoxious, poorly educated Frenchmen are part of that mix.

Unfortunately.

This of course means, that you're out of line with Canadian values.

Of course, that doesn't stop you from criticizing the extreme minority of new Canadians for being out of line in a different manner.

Perhaps you should take a look in the mirror before criticizing others.

Now if you add in hundreds of thousands of people every year whose cultural value system and belief set are wildly different than that of Canadians you're going to begin to shift that "Canadian" personality.

Prove they're "wildly different" and prove it's changing the national personality.

So far in this post all you've done is rant, nothing more.

Surely you don't expect us to believe the things you write based on the reasoning of "because I said so"

Surely you don't expect us to believe the things you write based on the reasoning of "because I said so"

Stop speaking for others. You don't speak for "us".

-------------------------------------

...and the horse I rode in on???

---Letter from Roger Meyers, Jr to Marge Simpson

And of course, part of that shared vision is Multiculturalism

Did Canadians ever ask for multiculturalism? Were they ever presented with an option? Were Torontonions asked, in 1970 or so, if they wanted half the people in their city to be foreign born - from third world countries? Did they enthusiastically agree this was a great idea?

Who, aside from the urban elites in central Canada, ever said that multiculralism was the thing we should be striving for? Most of those urban elites, btw, live far away from the urban slums now filled with third world immigrants.

I used to live in an area where white, English speaking people were a definite minority. As I grew more financially secure, I began moving to nicer areas - which happen to be whiter areas. I now live in your typical upper middle detached home with lots of trees and no non-white neighbors. It's quite a difference from where I used to live, and, quite frankly, I greatly prefer it. The neighbours here all talk with each other and there's no crime.

Canadians, like any other people, have a certain shared vision and cultural value set which constitutes the collective personality of the country. Arrogant, obnoxious, poorly educated Frenchmen are part of that mix.

What would I know about Frenchmen? I am Canadian. But you're on to something here. After all, you are a living proof that arrogant, obnoxious, poorly educated and prejudiced individuals are part of the Canadian mix.

Now if you add in hundreds of thousands of people every year whose cultural value system and belief set are wildly different than that of Canadians you're going to begin to shift that "Canadian" personality. It's unavoidable. So if you people are comfortable with growing communities of anti-semitic, homophobic mysogenists who don't believe in basic freedoms then so be it. But don't pretend they're not going to have an affect.

I am most certainly not confortable around anti-semitic and homophobic INDIVIDUALS who don't believe in basic freedoms. Or xenophobic homophobic individuals who proclaim their attachment to basic freedoms while believing they mostly apply to them only.

Edited by CANADIEN

And of course, part of that shared vision is Multiculturalism, meaning in general, Canadians see having many cultures being present within the Canadian nation as being a positive factor, you however, don't see things that way:

This of course means, that you're out of line with Canadian values.

What is sorely lacking in this country, however, is any sense of what 'multi-culturalism' really is. I think what most Canadians think when they hear 'multi-culturalism' is families speaking their own language at home and eating exotic food. Families and friends who listen to Indian or Japanese music or have a Jamaican wedding might be considered 'multi-cultural'.

What is, unfortunately, NOT in my definition of multi-culturalism would be entire communities of ethnic peoples living completely apart from Canadian economic and legal systems, who at the same time demand the same social services as the average Canadian. If you visit certain areas of Toronto, for example, you'll find entire malls filled with stores selling pirated DvDs out in the open, with people bartering and insisting on nothing but cash payment (for obvious reasons). This would not fly in your average 'Canadian' communities, but it is allowed for some reason in our 'multi-cultural- ones.

When entire communities live outside Canadian laws, share nothing of our values, don't speak a word of english (thereby excluding us from their communities and cultures), how is that really MULTI culturalism??? That's more like a slow, step by step annexation of the country.

Edited by Moonbox

I used to live in an area where white, English speaking people were a definite minority. As I grew more financially secure, I began moving to nicer areas - which happen to be whiter areas. I now live in your typical upper middle detached home with lots of trees and no non-white neighbors. It's quite a difference from where I used to live, and, quite frankly, I greatly prefer it. The neighbours here all talk with each other and there's no crime.

I too live in a nice crime-free area. Great old houses, trees, friendly neighbourhood. I didn't go around the block before choosing that area to make sure that people had the "right" skin colour and spoke the "right" language with the "right" accent. In fact, I didn't even particularly care that the oldest MOSQUE in Toronto is a two-minute walk from my place.

So prey tell, what should the likes of Adrienne Clarkson or Oscar Peterson do to be deemed good enough to be deemed worthy of living in your neighbourhood... change their skin colour?

Edited by CANADIEN

What is, unfortunately, NOT in my definition of multi-culturalism would be entire communities of ethnic peoples living completely apart from Canadian economic and legal systems, who at the same time demand the same social services as the average Canadian. If you visit certain areas of Toronto, for example, you'll find entire malls filled with stores selling pirated DvDs out in the open, with people bartering and insisting on nothing but cash payment (for obvious reasons). This would not fly in your average 'Canadian' communities, but it is allowed for some reason in our 'multi-cultural- ones.

1) entire communities live apart from eco/legal systems? Name one.

2)Entire malls offering pirated DVDs? Say it aint so. Thats a legal issue, not to mention there are a few home brewed crooks in our midst-but lets not pick on them , hell they were born here and can operate outside the legal system. For cash only? Say it aint so. Ah, but then the CNE grounds (cash only) and the myriad of shops that do the same owned by 4th gen canadians escape your wrath?

3) Wouldnt fly in your avg "CDN" communities huh? Why so? Apart from the fact they are not used to it and majority rule tends to come into place, could it be because since no one speaks it in an avg community, and most people need some service, they tend to speak english?

When entire communities live outside Canadian laws, share nothing of our values, don't speak a word of english (thereby excluding us from their communities and cultures), how is that really MULTI culturalism??? That's more like a slow, step by step annexation of the country.

Nobody excludes anyone from culture. And since you are talking about TO, lets see...."Taste of the Danforth " isnt for handing out samples of ashphalt , but rather greek food. .....the Italian Street fair in woodbridge is not geared for Italians, but the rest of the people of TO.....Little India festivals are for the citizens to come and try different foodstuffs/culture in the hopes of acceptance and the almighty dollar.

We could start a festival called "Canadiana food" and we could gear the advertising towards true blue canucks, and when like 5 people show up we will see how silly that is.

You mean like....hmmm...Little Italy in the 40-50's and 60's , or Maple in the 70's and 80's? Or Woodbridge in the 90's to today? The horror, no one in the cafe I took lunch at the other day was speaking english/french.

It kills me no end to go to Chinatown and hear all the asians speaking their native tongues incessantly, be it the kitchen supply shop or the dry goods store. I get so mad hearing Mandarin all the time and when I go to the counter the clerk is blabbing this and that in that same Mandarin , and then.....she says "Hi, that will be $8.76 please.Need a bag for your goods? No. ok have a great day"

The greek cafe on danforth, damn greeks speaking dopolopolous this and that , the punjab dropping F bombs in his native language, going into the roti place on Vaughan and hearing patios. So annoying, why dont they speak english.....becauase they have the luxury of both languages.

I just joined this forum. I must say I am rather surprised at the negative comments about "immigrants" to Canada. Are we not all immigrants?

I'm interested in whether the statements made here about the ratio of refugees/family reunification and 'economic' class are true.

The info presented on the first page suggests not:

Economic - 58%

Refugee - 11%

Family - 28%

Thus, Economic (points system) immigrants are the largest group.

I am not sure how this relates to what the ratio was back in the 50's, but I expect there were MANY refugees from the war who were old or infirm family members or refugees without papers or anything else.

I don't believe anyone in this thread has proven differently as there are more 'impressions' than facts presented.

Can anyone prove me wrong with facts?

What is true is that the countries of origin and skin colour of the majority of immigrants has changed and, let's be honest, that does affect some people's 'impressions'.

100 years of immigration

Edited by tango

I just joined this forum. I must say I am rather surprised at the negative comments about "immigrants" to Canada. Are we not all immigrants?

No.

What is true is that the countries of origin and skin colour of the majority of immigrants has changed and, let's be honest, that does affect some people's 'impressions'.

What is true is that in the past, we were a fairly rural people, and not particularly sophisticated. Most immigrants were at approximately the same level of education and sophistication as we were. Now we're among the most advanced nations on earth in terms of scientific and cultural sophistication, yet many of our immigrants are even more socially backward than the immigrants we used to get in the thirties and forties.

The EIGHTEEN thirties and forties.

Edited by Argus

So prey tell, what should the likes of Adrienne Clarkson or Oscar Peterson do to be deemed good enough to be deemed worthy of living in your neighbourhood... change their skin colour?

Both Ms Clarkson and Mr Peterson (rip) have or had the same culture as me. It's not a matter of skin colour, these days. Though I notice some are quick to play that card in hopes of pulling off a Strawman...which that certainly was. These same folks are the ones that cry 'racist' when you say you don't like Islam...seemingly overlooking that Islam is merely a religion/mythology and that Muslims come in every colour of the rainbow.

There....that's my Wizard of Oz

Are we not all immigrants?

My family has been here for five generations on my fathers side and over ten generations on my mother's side. At what point is one thought to be a 'native' of this land? Never? For example, when I go to my hometown where I was born, why is a 20 year old "First Nations" Indian born elsewhere but living there thought to be more 'native' than I?

JB Globe: And of course, part of that shared vision is Multiculturalism, meaning in general, Canadians see having many cultures being present within the Canadian nation as being a positive factor, you however, don't see things that way:

I'll parrot Mark Steyn yet again: Canadian core values are that we have no core values. Multiculturalism is the same as saying you believe in EVERYTHING which is the same as saying you believe in NOTHING.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The arrogance of Mark Steyn knows no bounds.

---Prince Turki al-Faisal, Saudi Ambassador to Britain

Edited by DogOnPorch

Not at all!

They should just stop being Liberals! :lol:

Vive les molsons! Pas de Mauditz bierre!

Vive le Chambly!

So, in response to my accusation that you're making unsubstantiated claims you . . . Make more unsubstantiated claims? Wonderful . . .

Did Canadians ever ask for multiculturalism? Were they ever presented with an option? Were Torontonions asked, in 1970 or so, if they wanted half the people in their city to be foreign born - from third world countries? Did they enthusiastically agree this was a great idea?

Like I've said before - if citizens really, really don't like the policies of their government, they vote for a new government.

If many people were in fact outraged by the Multicultural Act, it would've been an election issue in '72 or '74, but it wasn't. The closest thing Canada has come to organized opposition to progressive immigration reform or Multiculturalism was the negative reaction to the '67 Green Paper on immigration - and that was spearheaded primarily by ad-hoc xenophobic or racist organizations created in response to the findings of that study.

Sorry to break it to you, but there was and is no conspiracy here - the fact of the matter is that while people may have problems with specific programs/policies, Canadians support Multiculturalism and immigration in general.

Who, aside from the urban elites in central Canada, ever said that multiculralism was the thing we should be striving for?

Even one year after 9/11 (a period marked by increased anxiety about immigration), support for Multiculturalism still stood at 72%.

Source: http://www.queensu.ca/cora/_files/diversity_dasko.pdf

Now as for your claim about multiculturalism only being supported by "urban elites" - do you have any data that supports this? Or is this another baseless claim of yours?

After all, if it was only the domain of urban elites, you'd never get 72% approval.

I used to live in an area where white, English speaking people were a definite minority.

Where?

As I grew more financially secure, I began moving to nicer areas - which happen to be whiter areas.

Where?

Also - we're getting to a point where whiter doesn't equal safer: ie - small cities of under 100 000 in Ontario are almost always overwhelmingly white, yet the overall crime rate is 43% higher than in a city like Toronto (even violent crime is higher).

Source - Statscan study mentioned here - http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...Od8Yx05hpLZvS0g

It's my belief that ethnicity in and of itself has no causal relationship to crime (meaning I don't believe white people are inherently more or less criminal than other people), and we should instead be looking at economics, law enforcement and social services.

I hope you actually manage to cite a source in your response to my post - it would be a first.

Stop speaking for others. You don't speak for "us".

Obviously.

I was speaking on behalf of those opposed to this notion of "new immigrants are the devil, old immigrants were saints"

Since we're on the other side of the debate table, it's the responsibility of Angus, yourself and others to convince us that your views are correct - and that requires arguments that are based in fact.

So far there's been no information provided by your side in this post that demonstrates there's any factual basis to this claim.

So, speaking on behalf of the other side of the debate, I'm telling you guys - you can't possibly expect us to buy this line on the basis of "trust us, it's true" you have to SHOW us it's true.

I mean really - would you believe me if I said "group x of people are negative and we need to kick them out of the country" and provided no basis for those claims?

This is the main reason why this xenophobic line of thinking is such a hard sell - either you guys are too lazy to go and source your arguments, or you can't source your arguments because there's no factual information to back them up (ie - they're not based in reality).

What is sorely lacking in this country, however, is any sense of what 'multi-culturalism' really is.

There's no problem with coming up with a better definition, I'd support any public discussion on updating the idea of Multiculturalism for today, after all - ideas need to stay relevant, what worked in the 70s may not work today.

They key would be however is it would have to be an honest discussion - it shouldn't be used by groups with an agenda (ie - xenophobes, be they anglo-Canadian, Jewish, Jamaican, or otherwise).

What is, unfortunately, NOT in my definition of multi-culturalism would be entire communities of ethnic peoples living completely apart from Canadian economic and legal systems, who at the same time demand the same social services as the average Canadian.

I'm really not aware of this on a large scale (as you said "entire communities") such places are usually VERY small (ie - I used to live across the street from an orthodox synagogue in North York, Toronto that had maybe 300 members, many lived close by and had some businesses in the area, and they didn't really associate with anyone, even us fellow Jews, but they were only a few hundred in a large community of tens of thousands that was fully-integrated).

So I'd need to see where these large, isolated communities are first, otherwise we should deal with this issue with the fact in mind that most of these isolated communities are small, and most immigrants do integrate.

If you visit certain areas of Toronto, for example, you'll find entire malls filled with stores selling pirated DvDs out in the open, with people bartering and insisting on nothing but cash payment (for obvious reasons). This would not fly in your average 'Canadian' communities, but it is allowed for some reason in our 'multi-cultural- ones.

I'm assuming you're talking about Pacific Mall, just across Steeles in Markham (north of Toronto). I don't really really think DVD bootlegging is tolerated any more just because the mall happens to have mostly Chinese tenants. The reason that there's still bootlegging going on there is because bootlegging is a next to impossible crime to deal with from a police standpoint. Officers are reluctant to tie up manpower and money on a detail unless they actually make an impact on the structure of that criminal enterprise.

Every time they hit up Pacific Mall, within a few weeks it's up and running again - the thing is though, the same can be said about DVD bootlegging operations run by online rings of geeky white kids. Police aren't avoiding Pacific Mall because it's Chinese, they're avoiding it for the same reasons they're avoiding throwing resources at DVD bootlegging in general.

When entire communities live outside Canadian laws, share nothing of our values, don't speak a word of english (thereby excluding us from their communities and cultures), how is that really MULTI culturalism???

I agree that wouldn't be multicultural at all, but as I've said before - do places like this even really exist on a large scale? Granted I'm only going by what I read and my experiences working on multicultural/immigration issues and growing up/living in Toronto.

Is Vancouver that radically different, for example? I've heard people say it's not as integrated - I'm heading there next week for the first time, it'll be interesting to check it out.

Like I've said before - if citizens really, really don't like the policies of their government, they vote for a new government.

Are you for real buddy?? What a retarded statement.

You are presuming Canada is a united democracy thinking as one for the betterment of us all. Not the case, Canada's immigration policies since the signing of the 1982 Constitution reveals Canada's stripes. The politicians used this constitution to drive the pre-1982 Canadians into minority status. Canadians of old are powerless to elect politicians to undue the scourage inflicted on Canadians. Canadians of old are powerless to democratically stop what the Conservatives, Liberals and the media have done to Canada. As we speak, the conservatives immigration policy is one that panders to the greed of employers. Canada is giving issueing work permits as fast a torrential rain. Once these people are here they are fast tracked to permanent residence status. Not only are these newcommers getting a voice to nullify yours they are taking away employment opportunities and driving down wages and quality of life. What is this doing for democracy buddy?? There is no democracy in Canada. Canada is a fraud and whore to this world. Canada should be ashamed of the democracy it has created since 1982.

The only righting of this inflicted anguish by the political whores of this country is to petition the queen to repeal the statue of westminister and subordinate Canada to the supervison of the UK parliament and the European Union. Canada's politicians and political parties can not be trusted to do right by Canada and Canadians. These politicians have sold Canada and Canadians out for their own gain or their corporate sponsors greed. Canadians have one trump card, petition the Queen's office and outline the immolation and the dilution of democracy inflicted on Canada since the 1982 Constitution. Her office is the key to quashing these Corrupt politicians.

You are presuming Canada is a united democracy thinking as one for the betterment of us all. Not the case, Canada's immigration policies since the signing of the 1982 Constitution reveals Canada's stripes. The politicians used this constitution to drive the pre-1982 Canadians into minority status. Canadians of old are powerless to elect politicians to undue the scourage inflicted on Canadians. Canadians of old are powerless to democratically stop what the Conservatives, Liberals and the media have done to Canada. As we speak, the conservatives immigration policy is one that panders to the greed of employers. Canada is giving issueing work permits as fast a torrential rain. Once these people are here they are fast tracked to permanent residence status. Not only are these newcommers getting a voice to nullify yours they are taking away employment opportunities and driving down wages and quality of life. What is this doing for democracy buddy?? There is no democracy in Canada. Canada is a fraud and whore to this world. Canada should be ashamed of the democracy it has created since 1982.

The only righting of this inflicted anguish by the political whores of this country is to petition the queen to repeal the statue of westminister and subordinate Canada to the supervison of the UK parliament and the European Union. Canada's politicians and political parties can not be trusted to do right by Canada and Canadians. These politicians have sold Canada and Canadians out for their own gain or their corporate sponsors greed. Canadians have one trump card, petition the Queen's office and outline the immolation and the dilution of democracy inflicted on Canada since the 1982 Constitution. Her office is the key to quashing these Corrupt politicians.

Now I have to ask you, are you for real?

Stick to claiming First Nations don't have languages.

The problem with most immigrants is that more often than not they choose not to assimilate into Canadian culture. I live in a very diverse area, and what saddens me is the general lack of passion for Canada and its people. I'm a proud Canadian. Most immigrants could care less about anything involving Canada. I doubt they know the second line to our national anthem.

I know this is a touchy subject. There's a fine line between bigotry and nationalism. But I think it's important for Canadian identity that everyone who lives in the country is proud of the people and their accomplishments. Not everyone has to drink beer and watch a hockey game, but there has be some general passion and respect for the country that provides your livelihood.

don't tell me that. Tell that to the guy who thinkshis neighbourhood is nicer because there are no non-whites.

No one has said that. You're just inferring it because you don't understand English very well and, well, you don't seem to be very bright.

People didn't see this kind of thing coming back in 1970 when the immigration rules were loosened. It's a slow building thing, and if you told people in Toronto or Vancouver in 1970 or so that loosening immigration would result in whites being in the minority in their city within four or five decades they'd have laughed at you, and the media would have mocked and derided you as an insane racist for such scaremongering. Besides, while polls have consistently shown that people want major reforms to immigration their votes are on bedrock financial issues which they see as immediate. Immigration is not seen as an immediate thing, and so while people care, they don't care as much as they do about taxes and health care.

Sorry to break it to you, but there was and is no conspiracy here - the fact of the matter is that while people may have problems with specific programs/policies, Canadians support Multiculturalism and immigration in general.

The trick is always in how you ask, and what you ask. Canadians are a nice people. When you say "multiculturalism" they kind of think it means everyone from different backgrounds holding hands and singing oh Canada together. Ask them if they think government should be aiding newcomers to retain their old cultures and languages though instead of assimilating and see what answer you get. Ask them if government should give newcomers preferential hiring above Canadian born people and see the answer. Ask them if the government should be bringing in tens of thousands of people every year who think women are inferior and homosexuals should be imprisoned or killed and see what you get. Ask them if they'd rather raise their family in a neighborhood which is 80% made up of third world refugees and immigrants who speak little English, or among those raised in Canada and see what answer you get.

Edited by Argus

I always get a good laugh when someone who writes something like that - or homophobic drivel, or rants about how slavery could be a good idea, to name a few - say that others don't seem very bright. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

As I said before, I live in a better area than the one I lived in before. Must be because there are more non-white people.

Edited by CANADIEN

Ask them if they think government should be aiding newcomers to retain their old cultures and languages though instead of assimilating and see what answer you get.

I am a Canadian, and I don't care what languages other people speak between themselves. I don't care what cultural traits they adopt or preserve, as long these do not conflict with the rights of other Canadians.

Ask them if government should give newcomers preferential hiring above Canadian born people and see the answer.

I am a Canadian, and people who are legally in Canada have the same rights as people born in Canada when it comes to employment. You say the government give them preferential treatment? Prove it.

Ask them if the government should be bringing in tens of thousands of people every year who think women are inferior and homosexuals should be imprisoned or killed and see what you get.

I am a Canadian, and we already have plenty or Canadian-born people who believe women are inferiors ("they should be in the kitchen instead of stealing men's jobs" -- and no, I don't claim you ever said something like that) or that homosexuality should be treated as a disease or a crime. If Canadian-born people have a legal right to hold such opinions, so do people born elsewhere.

Ask them if they'd rather raise their family in a neighborhood which is 80% made up of third world refugees and immigrants who speak little English, or among those raised in Canada and see what answer you get.

I am Canadian, and I would raise a family anywhere that is safe, with nice old houses and trees... no matter where my neighbours were born and grew up.

Edited by CANADIEN