The deficit is up

HisSelf

Why are we running a deficit?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the last quarter, the Canadian government has run a deficit for the first time in years.

wrong.

They didn't run a deficit for a quarter. A fiscal quarter is 3 months, they are reported to have run a deficit for two months.

They call it a 'quarter' because there are 12 months in a year. 12*1/4 = 3.

so there ya go.

Also, the deficit can't be 'up' if there was no deficit before, it just merely be.

maybe you were talking about the debt? if so, you would be wrong there too as the government has reduced that by 22 billion over 2 years.

Edited by White Doors

I'm not voting because I think it is a combination of a slower economy (Canada will probably be shown to be in a recession in a few months), poor choice in cutting taxes (income tax cuts sure look a lot better than yet another cut to the GST - oooh, look at the tax I saved on the TV I did not buy! :rolleyes: ) and typical minority government increases in spending.

wrong.

They didn't run a deficit for a quarter. A fiscal quarter is 3 months, they are reported to have run a deficit for two months.

They call it a 'quarter' because there are 12 months in a year. 12*1/4 = 3.

so there ya go.

Also, the deficit can't be 'up' if there was no deficit before, it just merely be.

maybe you were talking about the debt? if so, you would be wrong there too as the government has reduced that by 22 billion over 2 years.

Here we go. Statistics. And damned statistics. Or is it damned... something else?

Why would a country give tax cuts when the country is at war? Do we know how much we are spending for equipment and military supplies?? 3X the Cons thought an election would happen and they went out and spent and now when an election could happen they ran out of money! I thought Harper's education is business but one sure can't tell by the way the manage out money.

:lol:

I know. It's like deja vu all over again.

The neocons operate on a single principle: if you say something often enough, everyone will come to think it is true. It's because they hire the same idiots who write the advertising we all fast forward through.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time...

Essence of Goebbels. Some of the time.

I know. It's like deja vu all over again.

The neocons operate on a single principle: if you say something often enough, everyone will come to think it is true. It's because they hire the same idiots who write the advertising we all fast forward through.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time...

Essence of Goebbels. Some of the time.

Funny I find that with you and a former poster named Higgly.

You make broad pronouncements to be taken as truth. You do not bother to back up your claims and when your claims are shown to be wrong (as I did above) you simply ignore it because it does not fit into your agenda. That is the definition of an extremist.

Just because you ignore it, doesn't mean it 'goes away' and other people DO see it and DO ignore your uneducated ramblings, as it seems it is probably best to do.

Funny I find that with you and a former poster named Higgly.

You make broad pronouncements to be taken as truth. You do not bother to back up your claims and when your claims are shown to be wrong (as I did above) you simply ignore it because it does not fit into your agenda. That is the definition of an extremist.

Just because you ignore it, doesn't mean it 'goes away' and other people DO see it and DO ignore your uneducated ramblings, as it seems it is probably best to do.

What can I say. I'm dealing with a pink ass ding dang doo.

And thanks for ignoring my uneducated ramblings.

And thanks for ignoring my uneducated ramblings.

Don't waste your time thanking him. If you did that you'd have nothing to do but thank all of us who ignore you and your largely unfounded opinions. All you'd be doing with your time is thanking everyone who ignores you, and what about all the people who laugh at you? Are you going to thank them as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Smallc we are back in the black. It seems the record will show each quarter to be in the black. Even though minority governments typically spend more, and the Conservatives are no exception, They have managed to stay in the black. An accomplishment in itself.

Edited by Pliny

Yes, Smallc we are back in the black. It seems the record will show each quarter to be in the black. Even though minority governments typically spend more, and the Conservatives are no exception, They have managed to stay in the black. An accomplishment in itself.

We are in the red because we just handed over billions to the folks that have billions - go to a senior on bay street and ask him how we are doing - they always answer "we are in good shape" - well what about us?

We are in the red because we just handed over billions to the folks that have billions - go to a senior on bay street and ask him how we are doing - they always answer "we are in good shape" - well what about us?

The average Canadian is doing better than they've ever done before according to MacLeans and other sources that I've seen recently. I'm not saying it has anything to do with Stephen Harper though.

The average Canadian is doing better than they've ever done before according to MacLeans and other sources that I've seen recently. I'm not saying it has anything to do with Stephen Harper though.

Well now the full picture is revealed. Jim Flaherty, a guy whom Ontarians have grown to know and trust almost as far as they can throw him, has shown that, yes folks, there was a deficit in the first two months of the quarter (hold on, ladies and germs, who reports on a two month basis?) but, in the third month of the quarter, we ripped a 1.5 billion surplus!

Holey hole in a doughnut, Baitman. Does this mean that we now have a syncopated reporting schedule? First we get a report for the first 2 months, then we get a report for the last month. Hang on folks. This just in. In the last 10 minutes of the quarter.... Or does it mean that we are heading for an election?

"Steven Haper is a stand up guy" (quote from a recent Conservative Party TV ad).

Well now the full picture is revealed. Jim Flaherty, a guy whom Ontarians have grown to know and trust almost as far as they can throw him, has shown that, yes folks, there was a deficit in the first two months of the quarter (hold on, ladies and germs, who reports on a two month basis?) but, in the third month of the quarter, we ripped a 1.5 billion surplus!

Holey hole in a doughnut, Baitman. Does this mean that we now have a syncopated reporting schedule? First we get a report for the first 2 months, then we get a report for the last month. Hang on folks. This just in. In the last 10 minutes of the quarter.... Or does it mean that we are heading for an election?

"Steven Haper is a stand up guy" (quote from a recent Conservative Party TV ad).

I wonder why it was so important for you to bring up the first two month report then?

Can't anyone find out how they are doing every month?

Well, isn't that typical, a Conservative bringing us back to a deficit. So, what else is new?