Prime Minister Receives International Human Rights Award

I didn't notice much play on this story - something that all Canadians should be proud of.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today became the first Canadian to receive the B’nai Brith International President’s Gold Medallion, in recognition of the Government’s efforts to fight discrimination and uphold human rights in Canada and around the world. The Prime Minister received the award at B’nai Brith International’s Board of Governors meetings, held in conjunction with the B’nai Brith Canada annual Policy Conference, the first time such a joint meeting has been held outside the United States.

“The award of the Gold Medallion generously acknowledges that the actions of our Government are guided by the principle that hate and discrimination have no place in a civilized society,” Prime Minister Harper said. “It’s a special honour to be so recognized by one of the world’s largest and oldest human rights organizations.”

Previous recipients of the Gold Medallion include United States’ Presidents Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy, as well as British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and Israeli Prime Ministers David Ben-Gurion and Golda Meir.

A Link to Stephen Harper's acceptance speech can be found here (Look down the right side in the "Audio Centre" for June 27th): http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?id=1725

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today became the first Canadian to receive the B’nai Brith International President’s Gold Medallion, in recognition of the Government’s efforts to fight discrimination and uphold human rights in Canada and around the world.

What precisely has he done to warrant this award? I don't recall human rights being a high priority with him.

Hurray for Harper and for Canada. The first Canadian ever to receive the award. I noticed the MSM didn't give this good news story much coverage. Best to continue pushing the perception that Harper is a bully. ;)

Mazel tov!!!

Hahaha, I laughed so hard when I read this I had to be rescued from choking. Our Steve, who wouldn't sign the UN Aboriginal Declaration, who has cut women's programs, the Court Challenge Program, etc got this award? Hahahahaha. But then I read that Henry Morgentaler received the Order of Canada. The bottom of the barrel has been scraped.

Best to continue pushing the perception that Harper is a bully.

Make no mistake, he is a bully. He wouldn't have earned the on-going label and reputation is he wasn't.

Ho ho ho, what a funny world.

How the OP article describes the award does not seem to mesh with the description given on Wikipedia:

B'nai B'rith International bestows various recognitions and awards, including its Presidential Gold Medal awarded every few years to honor the recipient's commitment to the Jewish people and the State of Israel. Recipients have included David Ben Gurion, John F. Kennedy, George H.W. Bush, Stephen Harper, and Golda Meir. In November 2005, the Gold Medal was given to former Austrian chancellor Franz Vranitzky, and in May 2006, it was awarded to Australian Prime Minister John Howard.

It makes more sense that he would be awarded it for that than for blanket fighting of discrimination and upholding human rights.

Edited by Remiel

...to honor the recipient's commitment to the Jewish people and the State of Israel. ..

OK, now it makes more sense.

It will, however, be spun as this

in recognition of the Government’s efforts to fight discrimination and uphold human rights in Canada and around the world.
when quite clearly it just ain't so.

Hahaha, I laughed so hard when I read this I had to be rescued from choking. Our Steve, who wouldn't sign the UN Aboriginal Declaration, who has cut women's programs, the Court Challenge Program, etc got this award? Hahahahaha. But then I read that Henry Morgentaler received the Order of Canada. The bottom of the barrel has been scraped.

Make no mistake, he is a bully. He wouldn't have earned the on-going label and reputation is he wasn't.

Ho ho ho, what a funny world.

Fortunata, if Harper discovered a cure for cancer and made all Canadians love one another, you'd still find a way to hate the guy.

"We have only presented our Presidential Gold Medallion for Humanitarianism to a handful of outstanding, exemplary, and distinguished recipients," said Moishe Smith, B'nai B'rith International's Ottawa-based President. "This highest of honors is reserved for only those individuals who have demonstrated inspired international leadership and service to society well beyond the call of duty." Canada's prime minister joined the ranks of the past recipients of this award who include David Ben Gurion, the founding prime minister of the State of Israel; Golda Meir, the first woman prime minister of Israel; U.S. President Harry S Truman; U.S. President John F. Kennedy; and Malcolm Fraser, former prime minister of Australia.
B'nai B'rith

It seems like Harper is in good company.

Not likely, but we can take your reaction to this award as a good indicator of future behaviour.

Don't mistake this for a humanitarian award. It's not. It's a friend to Israel award, which there is nothing wrong with, but I'd rather we take a middle road between Israel and Palestine where we might be able to help (as doubtful as any "helping" might accomplish). Steve is no more a humanitarian than I am a Buddhist monk. He's the type that kicks you when you are down as soon as everyone's back is turned. Give him a majority and he'll kick you right in front of everybody. Haha, humanitarian. That makes me laugh.

IF he discovered a cure for cancer and/or made all Canadians love one another instead of trying to divide and conquer I'd vote for the guy.

Well, he did reopen Chalk River, which was essential to treating cancer patients around the world. Does that not qualify as humanitarian? And what Tory candidate will you be voting for?

The reopening of Chalk River was not a humanitarian move, it was a political move. In the short run, it was good (for him), but if there is ever an accident at Chalk River, Harper (and the Conservative Party) will be completely screwed. Unfortunately, it seems that the reactors that were supposed to replace the current one for supplying medical isotopes were scrapped. So, the current reactor has to keeping going and going. Nuclear reactors are not the Energizer Bunny, however. They can only last for so long.

The B'nai B'rith "Presidential Gold Medallion" is not a human rights award. B'nai B'rith, for that matter, is not a human rights organization.

The Presidential Gold Medallion award is very specifically an award that recognizes people who have shown a commitment to Zionism.

Well, he did reopen Chalk River, which was essential to treating cancer patients around the world. Does that not qualify as humanitarian? And what Tory candidate will you be voting for?

Re-open being the operative word. No cure.

.. Chalk River was not a humanitarian move, it was a political move.

Exactly. And the way it was done? Firing done in the dead of night; firing someone for closing it whose job it was to oversee the safety? Her job was nothing to do with the isotopes Chalk River produced, but she got fired for not keeping the plant open to produce them.

earlier on it was said Harper is divisive in how he runs Canada, I say Trudeau was worse.

I'm beginning to think ... but the Liberals... is the Conservative's whole raison d'etre.

Don't mistake this for a humanitarian award. It's not. It's a friend to Israel award, which there is nothing wrong with, but I'd rather we take a middle road between Israel and Palestine where we might be able to help (as doubtful as any "helping" might accomplish). Steve is no more a humanitarian than I am a Buddhist monk. He's the type that kicks you when you are down as soon as everyone's back is turned. Give him a majority and he'll kick you right in front of everybody. Haha, humanitarian. That makes me laugh.

Jews disagree with you.