Conservative MP Lukiwski still hasn't reached out to gays

Are these folks kidding? Did they actually expect to hear from him? Don't they know that politics is the business that has turned meaningless, servile apologies into an art form? As they say in Ottawa, "When you can fake sincerity you have it made". :P

Conservative MP Lukiwski still hasn't reached out to gays

Nearly two months later, Regina gay community activists say they haven't heard from Tory MP Tom Lukiwski.

Conservative MP Tom Lukiwski, who offered an emotional and national apology in the Commons on April 4 and attracted national headlines after the Saskatchewan provincial NDP released a 17-year-old video tape of him making derogatory remarks about homosexuals, still hasn't reached out to gays in his riding.

Nathan Markwart, a board member of the Gay and Lesbian Community of Regina (GLCR), a not-for-profit organization that runs a community centre in Mr. Lukiwski's riding, said his organization, along with other Regina-based gay advocacy groups, sent a letter on April 11, both through the mail and electronically, in which they invited Mr. Lukiwski to meet with them, but Mr. Lukiwski did not respond.

"[Mr. Lukiwski] stated he is going to spend the rest of his life making amends, well when does that kick in? It's been quite a long time [since we sent the letter] and we still have received nothing. He says the only explanation is that it was stupid, thoughtless and insensitive, well I would say isn't it thoughtless and insensitive not to engage the community after you've received an invitation to?"...

Mr. Lukiwski immediately apologized outside the House of Commons and then made a more formal apology the next day in the Chamber where he pledged to "spend the rest of my career and my life trying to make up for those shameful comments."

(full story)

GAYS

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This happened years ago.

Not one of us can look back at our lives and say we have never done anything to make us feel ashamed / whatever.

If I had been him I simply would have stood up and stated "that was me then - I am a different man today - judge me on today or not at all"

The gay community is not such a "clean group" itself - and has cast many dispersions / allegations and such over the years - perhaps it is simply time for the whining to stop and for people to move on.

As the only white guy at a beer and poker call of sorts last friday night I was called whitey at least a dozen times by some pretty good guys - should I sue? Or should I take it up with the local media? After all two of them were pretty big business leaders in the community. And at least one is a financial supporter of the local MP in a big way.

I must be able to profit from this somehow. Suggestions?

Or maybe I should let it go - after all one of them is coming over to the house in a couple of days to help me with some wood cutting projects - his talent is far greater than mine in this arena.

Or should I wait until I have benefitted from his help in the work shop - and THEN sue?

:lol:

Sometimes folks take themselves far too seriously.

Borg

You really think most people care if this guy hasn't 'reached out' to the gay community. :rolleyes:

I don't know what most people think in the General Public.

What do most MPs think or MPs in the CPC think about this.

I don't know if John Baird Feels the Same way about it as other MPs from other parties.

I don't know if Stephen Harper feels the Same way, since he is our Prime Minister.

I don't know if Jim Flaherty feels the same way

I don't know if Dion, or Layton feel the same way.

What do they think?

I wonder.

You really think most people care if this guy hasn't 'reached out' to the gay community. :rolleyes:

The gay community certainly does.

And women generally prefer if the political parties they are thinking about voting for aren't intolerant.

I don't know what most people think in the General Public.

What do they think?

I wonder.

No idea and I don't care, so far there aren't any 'thought police', AS for me, I don't think the guy has to do any more, he's apologized - case closed.

Yes, from the banner holders of personal responsibility we hear that he's done enough. His promise to make amends can be broken and that's completely fine.

At least the NDP made Svend Robinson resign when he did something wrong.

Oh well...

Svend committed a crime which would have put him in jail in most countries. So far it is not a crime to talk like a jackass on occasion.

April 4th is "history" ?

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...hub=CTVNewsAt11

Lukiwski seeks forgiveness as Liberals slam Tories

Updated Fri. Apr. 4 2008 10:49 PM ET

Lukiwski also vowed to spend the rest of his life trying to make up for the comments.

I guess there's a different standard for your favourite politicians.

Tory MP skips gay pride parade.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

REGINA -- A Conservative member of Parliament, who promised earlier this year to spend his life promoting tolerance after a video surfaced of him making anti-gay remarks in 1991, was a no-show Saturday at Regina's gay pride parade.

Gay groups said they were disappointed that Regina-Lumsden MP Tom Lukiwski didn't even respond to an invitation to attend the parade.

"Mr. Lukiwski stated in his public apology ... that he would spend the rest of his life making amends,'' said gay pride spokesman Nathan Markwart. "Well, when exactly does that kick in?

I wonder what amends Lukiwski means?

Edited by jdobbin

April 4th is "history" ?

What he said was 'history', not when it was made public...

As for a gay pride parade, why should he have to attend something that is often lewd, rude and crude, to put it mildly, - such displays are offensive to many people.

As for a gay pride parade, why should he have to attend something that is often lewd, rude and crude, to put it mildly, - such displays are offensive to many people.

So what amends do you think he means?

So what amends do you think he means?

Maybe be more personally tolerant? Funny what the passage of time can do. I'm 60 - a young 60 I might add....but back in 1991, I was very loose-lipped with the use of words like queer and faggot and was upset with how the word "gay" had been hijacked. I wouldn't say I was totally intolerant but I sure wasn't anywhere close to embracing their acceptance in mainstream society. I still find that the Gay community "tries too hard" and trying to convince me that gays form 10% of the population is over the top. Having said that, my attitude has really softened - I accept that there is a place in mainstream society for Gays. My Tennis Club again hosted the Toronto Gay Open Tennis Championship......but you see, I still find humour in saying "use the showers at your own risk"......ah, what the heck - we're human and fallible. So do I embrace the Gay community - no....but do I accept them and respect each of them as individuals?......more so every day......but don't look for me in the Gay Pride festivities any time soon.

Edited by Keepitsimple

I guess I can say that no one has seen evidence to the contrary that he a tolerant person. Actions would speak volumes.

There's no evidence he hasn't become more tolerable. He's might not be not openly supportive, but gay pride parades aren't exactly everyone's bag.

I doubt he'll be playing Twister with Scott Brison anytime soon either.

There's no evidence he hasn't become more tolerable. He's might not be not openly supportive, but gay pride parades aren't exactly everyone's bag.

I won't hold my breath on seeing on seeing any change.

I doubt he'll be playing Twister with Scott Brison anytime soon either.

And there's the right wing that we all know and love!

I won't hold my breath on seeing on seeing any change.

And there's the right wing that we all know and love!

Oh, I don't know! I'm considered rightwing in many circles and I couldn't care less if someone's gay.

However, I do blame all gays for some really bad disco music and for the idea of men using hair spray. I also refuse to eat quiche.

I can get along with almost anyone, as long as he doesn't try to tax me for his OWN pet hobby horse!

One might note that Brison left the Tories because he was a bleeding heart, not because he was gay. Or maybe because he was in a snit for not winning the CPC leadership...

I guess I can say that no one has seen evidence to the contrary that he a tolerant person. Actions would speak volumes.

So one should attend some thing that makes them feel uncomfortable in order to demonstrate "tolerance"? Sounds more like hypocrisy to me.

I'm around the same age as Keepitsimple and my views concerning homosexuality have also changed a great deal over the years. I would say that 90% of those in our age bracket who would claim otherwise are full of it.

I was walking through Westminster one morning and stumbled on the London gay pride parade. It was a hoot but do I agree with officially sanctioned celebrations based on sexual orientation or would I make a point of attending one? No. Would that make me a homophobe? I don't know but not according to several gay acquaintances that I have shared many beers with on occasion.

I do eat quiche (as a matter of fact I can whip up a pretty good one myself) but am more from the "real men eat anything" school.

Lukiwski doesn't have to 'do' anything, all he has to do is make sure that he doesn't denigrate gays, which as far as we know he hasn't done since the original scoop and following apology. Why should he have to, they certainly aren't going to vote for him anyway.