Support our troops, U.S. that is

What is unacceptale about Bush saying:

THE PRESIDENT: If there's any comparison between the compassion and decency of the American people and the terrorist tactics of extremists, it's flawed logic. I simply can't accept that. It's unacceptable to think that there's any kind of comparison between the behavior of the United States of America and the action of Islamic extremists who kill innocent women and children to achieve an objective, Terry.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...20060915-2.html

Michael Moore would be proud!

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I have a problem with the President telling us what to think and what not to think.

Really? Are you an American citizen? Even if you are, why do you care what Prsident Bush thinks about what you should think?

Besides, as stated, it was "unacceptable" to the president to think in such a way about American foreign policy vs. terrorist targeting of civilians, a topic already beaten to death in this forum.

Keith Oberman made an ass out of himself with this Michael Moore-esque moment.

Really? Are you an American citizen? Even if you are, why do you care what Prsident Bush thinks about what you should think?

Seems to me you're assuming his target audience. Where did he say "I think it is unacceptable.."

So let me put it to you. You seem to think his remarks were acceptable. Do you care that you top guy is telling you what to think or what not to think? If you do, that's dangerous territory.

Edited by jazzer

Well, then let me put it to you. You seem to think his remarks were acceptable. Do you care that you top guy is telling you what to think or what not to think? If you do, that's dangerous territory.

Any reasonable person reading the quote in full context would not interpret it that way, and may actually agree with what he said. He is not the "top guy" telling me what to think anymore than what we get from the campaign rhetoric from Clinton or Obama.

On your side of the fence, it is even more meaningless.

Seems to me you're assuming his target audience. Where did he say "I think it is unacceptable.."

Even better....by extension, your logic assumes that President Bush was speaking to everyone in North America, if not the entire planet? That would be absurd, and inconsistent with telling them all how to "think".

You didn't even bother to provide the quote in context, for obvious reasons.

So in a discussion of America politics you have to be a U.S. citizen to have any merit? That's elitism. I gotta wonder why you post so much on a Canadian forum anyway. Been kicked out of of U.S. ones?

Of course not, but why would you pay attention to the "top guy" of a foreign sovereign even if he said/meant such an absurd thing? Do you take equal interest in what other world "leaders" would have you think, say, or do?

I post in many forums to be the ugly American that exists in your mind. I have never been "kicked out" of any forum.

Merit does not equal relevance. The same would be true for my comments about Canadian politics...irrelevant...as I lack standing and citizenship.

Merit does not equal relevance. The same would be true for my comments about Canadian politics...irrelevant...as I lack standing and citizenship.

Please keep in mind this is a CANADIAN forum. To imply that Canadian comments in the U.S. politics section are irrelevant is elitism. I think you have a problem in general with Canadians who disagree with you, and that's too bad. But you will not stop me from posting in this section because you think my comments are meaningless. We call it freedom of speech here, and all opinons/comments (outside of personal attacks and other objectional material) are encouraged and welcomed.

Edited by jazzer

Please keep in mind this is a CANADIAN forum. To imply that Canadian comments in the U.S. politics section are irrelevant is elitism. I think you have a problem in general with Canadians who disagree with you, and that's too bad. But you will not stop me from posting in this section because you think my comments are meaningless. We call it freedom of speech here, and all opinons/comments (outside of personal attacks and other objectional material) are encouraged and welcomed.

No one is trying to stop you from posting anything, but in this case, your post has neither merit or relevance, just the usual itch to bitch about President Bush. So you were engaged by a different point of view.

By your own admission, my opinion that your comments are irrelevant is protected speech and is encouraged / welcomed.

So what's the problem?

No one is trying to stop you from posting anything, but in this case, your post has neither merit or relevance, just the usual itch to bitch about President Bush. So you were engaged by a different point of view.

By your own admission, my opinion that your comments are irrelevant is protected speech and is encouraged / welcomed.

So what's the problem?

You seem to have an adverse and sarcastic opinion everytime some shows your mentors in a negative light, even when the presentation is factual. You say you don't want to enter into the Federal Politics section but you have no problem running down our previous administrations in other sections. Seems to me while you are welcomed here, as a guest, you are probably making more enemies than friends with your attitude. But yeah, you're right, free speech has to allow for such acerbity.

Edited by jazzer

You seem to have an adverse and sarcastic opinion everytime some shows your mentors in a negative light, even when the presentation is factual.

Nonsense...you wanted to recycle that silly sound bite without context and I called you on it. As a matter of fact, other MLW members have already beaten you to the punch on most of these issues in other threads.

You say you don't want to enter into the Federal Politics section but you have no problem running down our previous administrations in other sections. Seems to me while you are welcomed here, as a guest, you are probably making more enemies than friends with your attitude.

Hint: I am not here to make friends. You are also a guest here in case you didn't realize it. Nevertheless, and on balance, my pithy contributions are not only a contrarion American perspective, but prevailing Yankee domestic and foreign policy.

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

But yeah, you're right, free speech has to allow for such acerbity.

Good...see how I turned the tables on you?

Good...see how I turned the tables on you?

I had you pegged from day one BC, not hard with a handle like yours. You like to demean those who disagree with you, like the ugly American you say you are. Go ahead and post to your heart's content. I certainly have better things to do with my time. A further discourse with you will obviously be useless. I presented a solid case that showed what Bush said could also be interpreted as I described. As an English major, I stand by my elucidation and leave you to bully those who dare challenge your "opinions."

Edited by jazzer

I had you pegged from day one BC, not hard with a handle like yours. You like to demean those who disagree with you, like the ugly American you say you are. Go ahead and post to your heart's content. I certainly have better things to do with my time.

But yet you remain engaged. It is my intended purpose to demean your position, not you personally, unless you take it to that level.

A further discourse with you will obviously be useless. I presented a solid case that showed what Bush said could also be interpreted as I described. As an English major, I stand by my elucidation and leave you to bully those who dare challenge your "opinions."

You most certainly did not. Why didn't you present the quote in complete context? I'm only an electrical engineering major, but I certainly know better when it comes to words and context.

You are not being "bullied" when challenged with an opposing view.

One last thing. We can argue all day about in context, out of context, but that's a non-negotiable item for you and me. If you only had the balls to look at some of the clips I provided a link for, you might realize whatever one else knows: your boy(s) in the big house are not very well like by your people, consistently. Their actions have created untold misery for the families of those innocent young soldiers the prez put on the front line. All that money he spent on the Iraq fiasco could have maybe helped some of the 40 million+ who don't have any health care. But no, the USA always needs an enemy to make themselves feel superior to anyone else. Well guess what, you've created more countries that despise Americans and the present Government. The end.

Edited by jazzer

One last thing. We can argue all day about in context, out of context, but that's a non-negotiable item for you and me. If you only had the balls to look at some of the clips I provided a link for...

Look, I will just give you the standard package, because we've seen and heard it all before. In case you didn't realize it, MSNBC originates in the USA, and my cable distributor provides it as part of basic and extended. I live in America, not your refried, twice removed, YouTube.com version of America.

, you might realize whatever one else knows: your boy(s) in the big house are not very well like by your people, consistently. Their actions have created untold misery for the families of those innocent young soldiers the prez put on the front line.

Yet they were returned to office in 2004. Imagine that!

All that money he spent on the Iraq fiasco could have maybe helped some of the 40 million+ who don't have any health care. But no, the USA always needs an enemy to make themselves feel superior to anyone else. Well guess what, you've created more countries that despise Americans and the present Government. The end.

America does not have a please-love-us gene like Canada. We were born by booting your king in the ass. It wasn't the end...it was the beginning. How do you like us now?

"If there's any comparison between the compassion and decency of the American people and the terrorist tactics of extremists, it's flawed logic. I simply can't accept that. It's unacceptable to think that there's any kind of comparison between the behavior of the United States of America and the action of Islamic extremists who kill innocent women and children to achieve an objective, Terry."

On this subject President Bush is very much mistaken, as the Unites States Government is the largest supporter of terrorism in the world - this, I suppose, is why Bush commands his subjects never to think these forbidden thoughts, because they are terribly true.

Guest American Woman
I have a problem with the President telling us what to think and what not to think.

There's been a lot of that going on, starting with "you're either for us or against us" and I have a problem with it, too. I really have a problem when he 'speaks for Americans.' He sure doesn't speak for me! (On a lighter note, he can barely speak for himself).

This following poem is composed entirely of actual quotes from George W. Bush.

Make the Pie Higher

I think we all agree, the past is over.

This is still a dangerous world.

It's a world of madmen

And uncertainty

And potential mental losses.

Rarely is the question asked

Is our children learning?

Will the highways of the internet

Become more few?

How many hands have I shaked?

They misunderestimate me.

I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity.

I know that the human being and the fish

Can coexist.

Families is where our nation finds hope

Where our wings take dream.

Put food on your family!

Knock down the tollbooth!

Vulcanize society!

Make the pie higher!

Make the pie higher!

link

There's been a lot of that going on, starting with "you're either for us or against us" and I have a problem with it, too. I really have a problem when he 'speaks for Americans.' He sure doesn't speak for me! (On a lighter note, he can barely speak for himself).

This is just another corruption...and ironic from those who often go on and on about the seeking the "truth":

Here is what President Bush really said:

"Over time it's going to be important for nations to know they will be held accountable for inactivity," he said. "You're either with us or against us in the fight against terror."

Or the original version from 2001:

...We will starve terrorists of funding, turn them one against another, drive them from place to place, until there is no refuge or no rest. And we will pursue nations that provide aid or safe haven to terrorism. Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists. (Applause.) From this day forward, any nation that continues to harbor or support terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime.

Michael Moore apparently has alert pupils!

Guest American Woman
This is just another corruption...and ironic from those who often go on and on about the seeking the "truth":

Here is what President Bush really said:

"Over time it's going to be important for nations to know they will be held accountable for inactivity," he said. "You're either with us or against us in the fight against terror."

And here's what I said he said: "you're either for us or against us"

Thanks for clearing that up; I said "for" where he said "with," and I think "with" is even worse than "for," so I won't be making that mistake again.

And here's what I said he said: "you're either for us or against us"

Thanks for clearing that up; I said "for" where he said "with," and I think "with" is even worse than "for," so I won't be making that mistake again.

That's OK...I'm use to cleaning up after you. No problem at all.

Full quotes in context are free.....

Guest American Woman
That's OK...I'm use to cleaning up after you.

:lol:

What you're "used to" is claiming that you are cleaning up after me. But as long as you keep making my case even stronger, like you just did, I'll leave you with your delusions. So once again, thanks for setting the record straight. :)

Why are people using bits of sentences instead of full quotes? Seems disingenuous to say the least. But hey, I can try the same thing.

his remarks were acceptable.
personal attacks and other objectional material) are encouraged and welcomed.
you are cleaning up after me

So once again, thanks for setting the record straight. :)

Anyways. The President doesn't tell people what to think. He has opinions. And he expresses his opinions. Free speech is a right for all, even Presidents. You are clearly free to disagree with his opinions, as I'm free to disagree with his and/or yours.