Obama's "Beer and Popcorn" Moment

I'll leave that up to you. I haven't been here that long, and either I wasn't paying attention to the thread or it was before I joined.

Even though I consider McCain a step up from George Bush, the only way he could really separate himself from being viewed as Dubya's third term is if he changed his extreme war hawk position on Iraq and other foreign interventions. He believes the Neocon strategy too much to put any distance between himself and the Bush Admins disastrous war policy.

Because of the structuring of the Electoral College Democrats always have an uphill struggle. In the US each state has a minimum of three (3) Electoral Votes. When you add in Alaska and a few others, the Democrats are already starting from way behind. And if you consider that some of thethe so-called "big states", to wit, Texas, Georgia and Florida often, though not always, vote Republican, the Democrats start out deep in the hole, especially since it's not unknown for even California to go Republican every now and then, and other large states such as Texas and Florida are usually "red" states. Basically, the system makes it much harder to elect a non-Southern, non-centrist Democrat than almost any Republican.

Also, much of the so-called "Red State" people are not antiwar. That's just a fact.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Also, much of the so-called "Red State" people are not antiwar. That's just a fact.

I don't think some of our gracious hosts understand that, or flatly refuse it as a possibility. I mean c'mon folks, President Bush was re-elected in 2004. Popular thinking that the Democrats are a slam dunk to win the presidency takes a hit with each passing day of incredible campaign bungling.

Popular thinking that the Democrats are a slam dunk to win the presidency takes a hit with each passing day of incredible campaign bungling.

Oh, c'mon, by the time a Dem candidate is picked and he is on his merry way, the masses will forget about all the bashing that went on, within I would say, about 24 hours? Most people have the attention span of a knat when it comes to politics or hollywood stars. Can you say Britney? :lol: Hell, it's been so long since I've heard anything about her, a good 3 weeks, I can't even spell her name right.

Edited by Carinthia

Why would Senator McCain want to distance himself from the policies deemed good enough for NATO/Canadian "interventions" (e.g. Serbia, Haiti, Afghanistan) ?

Were those interventions worthwhile either?

The excuse for bombing Serbia into leaving Kosovo was a claim that there was a mass genocide going on. A claim that turned out to be as factual as the WMD's in Iraq. Did conditions in Haiti improve after the Clinton administration overthrew the military regime? Is supporting Hamid Karzai's government in Afghanistan worthwhile, when it is an Islamic theocracy not much different than the Taleban regime?

Have you seen the new US embassy in Iraq....it's bigger than the Vatican!

?????????????????????????

Because of the structuring of the Electoral College Democrats always have an uphill struggle. In the US each state has a minimum of three (3) Electoral Votes. When you add in Alaska and a few others, the Democrats are already starting from way behind. And if you consider that some of thethe so-called "big states", to wit, Texas, Georgia and Florida often, though not always, vote Republican, the Democrats start out deep in the hole, especially since it's not unknown for even California to go Republican every now and then, and other large states such as Texas and Florida are usually "red" states. Basically, the system makes it much harder to elect a non-Southern, non-centrist Democrat than almost any Republican.

Also, much of the so-called "Red State" people are not antiwar. That's just a fact.

Once the dust as settled, I'm betting you're going to see a rout of biblical proportions! Right now, John McCain appears close in election polls because very little attention is being focused on him. Once the general election starts, McCain has to run on a platform of continuing the Iraq War indefinitely, and has to lead the governing party in a bad recession year. The Bush Administration was hoping that foreign investors would still be putting the dollars they earn selling products to Americans to work in American stock and bond markets. It appears that the inevitable collapse of the real estate market arrived a year too early!

Now, their slim chance of holding on to power - continued economic growth - has evaporated, and the economy is another albatross around the neck of Bush's heir. If it was possible for a candidate from the governing party to win under these conditions, there still is the problem that the candidate is a lacklustre performer. He doesn't show any degree of understanding of the economic situation and he's even confused about the situation in Iraq - twice, mixing up Sunnis and Shiites, and which group Al Qaeda belongs to.

With all of these huge negatives, fiddling and strategizing in the Electoral College will make little difference! Incumbent Republicans are fleeing the ship in the face of huge losses in the House and the Senate. How can you seriously talk about red states at a time when the Republican Party couldn't even hold on to Dennis Hastert's seat in that special election last month? Lots of Republicans are going to get washed out to sea this November!

Oh, c'mon, by the time a Dem candidate is picked and he is on his merry way, the masses will forget about all the bashing that went on, within I would say, about 24 hours? Most people have the attention span of a knat when it comes to politics or hollywood stars. Can you say Britney? :lol: Hell, it's been so long since I've heard anything about her, a good 3 weeks, I can't even spell her name right.
And the GOP is going to forget what has come up in the last month or so? Is the blogosphere going to forget as well?

The blogosphere gives an enormous advantage to the GOP. Mass media is overwhelmingly Democratic and they are no longer the sole gatekeeper to the news.

Edited by jbg

WIP

There's nothing wrong with being ordinary. My formal education ended after high school, but I make an effort to keep learning. What is inexcusable is being wilfully ignorant, like continuing to support the same people and the same policies that are ruining your life!

Not sure about intelligent people, but rational people won't allow anyone as innocuous as the government 'ruin their life' they take responsibility for their own life and succeed or fail by their own merits.

Maybe you have failed more often than not and are projecting your anger?

WIP

Not sure about intelligent people, but rational people won't allow anyone as innocuous as the government 'ruin their life' they take responsibility for their own life and succeed or fail by their own merits.

Shallow argument since your home province is an obvious example of how government can impoverish people through over-taxation, over-spending, and cronyism. Can anyone actually start a business there now who isn't a member of the Irving family? For years, young Maritimers who've wanted a better life, have taken the responsibility for their own success by moving to Ontario and Alberta.

Maybe you have failed more often than not and are projecting your anger?

I've done okay for myself, raised a family, and have provided my kids the opportunities for higher education (I still have one in high school). What makes me angry is people who form opinions and choose sides in debates on little more than faith that their side is a righteous cause. This is the biggest reason why politicians are invoking God and prayer into their speeches in greater numbers. An appeal to faith is an emotional appeal, and candidates want a campaign based on emotional appeal more than logic or reason, since adherents, I mean supporters, will cling to the candidate even if their policies are wreckless and dangerous.