Why Do Inane Threads Catch Fire and Good Ones Die?

jbg

So far all your posts remind me of a poodle which lives next door and yaps frantically away at everything that comes past the house.
56 posts to go on the "dirty fingernails" thread and this is the level the thread has descended to? I'm not pointing at Argus, but this is truly inane stuff. Argus, for example, did much better here (link) and yet there are only 4 or so responses after the OP there, as opposed to 56 or so at the point where I'm responding on this thread.

Sad commentary. It's almost not worth the effort to put together a good thread. Thoughts?

Discussion happens on threads when it's a topic people are interested in discussing. When it's borrring, they don't read it.
You get an "A" for honesty there.

56 posts to go on the "dirty fingernails" thread and this is the level the thread has descended to? I'm not pointing at Argus, but this is truly inane stuff. Argus, for example, did much better here (link) and yet there are only 4 or so responses after the OP there, as opposed to 56 or so at the point where I'm responding on this thread.

Sad commentary. It's almost not worth the effort to put together a good thread. Thoughts?

It's the irritation factor. If you want a lot of responses, then say something which irritates a lot of people. Be as insulting towards this or that party as possible. Say outrageous things, be insulting towards those who respond. Get people in a lather, make them angry.

BTW, there are actually 56 posts in the latter thread about political correctness.

Mind you, there are over 300 on the dirty fingernails thing.

Threads die because there is only so much one can say, eventually the whole thing gets repetitious, although those with a vested political interest will try to keep it alive.

So true. This is what happened to Tibet threads until the Olympics came along. On the other hand, we have the Middle East with a new outrage every day.

It's the irritation factor. If you want a lot of responses, then say something which irritates a lot of people. Be as insulting towards this or that party as possible. Say outrageous things, be insulting towards those who respond. Get people in a lather, make them angry.
Thanks for the advice. My anger on subjects is usually expressed quietly and not directed at anyone.

• 1 year later...

Look at the Conrad Black thread - over 4000 views ---- it might just be the entertainment value...we can't all be experts all the time - "and Good Ones Die" ? Spice it up - say something that causes out rage or some black darkened humor......or maybe the inane catch fire because.......well - I really don't know - it's easier to be inane I suppose.

Poor jbg. Everyone ignores him. :lol:

Are we counting our success by the number of responses to a posting?

Its so much easier to make silly jokes than it is to actually think, to research a topic and then take a stand, all the while risking that others will tear you down for it.

Argus has demonstrated his mastery of provocative posting, no doubt developed over untold thousands of disdainful, mocking and banal posts. Maybe you should borrow a page from his book, if responses what you want

Poor jbg. Everyone ignores him. :lol:

Its so much easier to make silly jokes than it is to actually think, to research a topic and then take a stand, all the while risking that others will tear you down for it.

Argus has demonstrated his mastery of provocative posting, no doubt developed over untold thousands of disdainful, mocking and banal posts. Maybe you should borrow a page from his book, if responses what you want

Most of you guys do the work.. Dilgent research and are quite serious about using this forum wisely...If I see such a person - being productive and contributing - I have learned to get out of the way - they are out of my league and I will not pretend that I can contruibute...I am learning.

In case you haven't figured it out, inane posters wreck boards.

In case you haven't figured it out, inane posters wreck boards.

Right, as do trolls who attack the person instead of work the ideas. So pick your poison.

Also, some people are not experienced at posting or debating. They should be allowed to learn and grow, which is done by experience. I'm sure you were young and naive once?

Ever tell a lame joke? No? Never?

But jbg, what is it you expect to achieve by complaining about it? There is no rule against inanity. Maybe there should be, but who shall decide what is inane, or what is simply misunderstood. Once upon a time the moderator would jump in and remind everyone to stick to the topic, but they are only people too, they sometimes interfere wrongly and kill discussion that is being enjoyed. Oh well.

No.

A bit of reading (link to source) about what constitutes a debate is in order (excerpts below):

What is debate?

A debate is a contest, or, perhaps, like a game, where two or more speakers present their arguments intent on persuading one another. Men have been debating with one another since the beginning of time when the serpent first debated with Eve the benefits of eating certain fruits in the Garden. We shall limit ourselves here with discussing formal contest debating between educational institutions, or, in the world of homeschooling, between families that choose to bypass educational institutions and educate their children at home.

Why debate?

"He [the student debater] learns to use a library, and to find the exact information he needs in the shortest possible time. He learns to be thorough and accurate. He learns to analyze; to distinguish between the vital and the unimportant. He learns the need of proving his statements; of supporting every statement with valid evidence and sound reasoning—and he learns to demand the same sort of proof for the statements of others. He learns to present ideas in a clear and effective manner, and in a way which wins others to his way of thinking. He learns to think under pressure, to "use his head" in a time of need, to make decisions quickly and accurately. In a word, the essential point in any debating situation is that of convincing the listener that your side of the proposition is desirable."

***snip**

What does inane mean?

Main Entry: inane (link)

Pronunciation: \i-ˈnān\

Function: adjective

Inflected Form(s): inan·er; inan·est

Etymology: Latin inanis

Date: 1662

1 : empty, insubstantial

2 : lacking significance, meaning, or point : silly <inane comments>

• 2 weeks later...
Why Do Inane Threads Catch Fire and Good Ones Die?

Inane threads have lots of posts because Oleg and Benny have lots of time on their hands.

Good threads have few posts because Oleg and Benny haven't found them yet.

-k

Inane threads have lots of posts because Oleg and Benny have lots of time on their hands.

Good threads have few posts because Oleg and Benny haven't found them yet.

-k

Now I didn't name names. Be nice. :lol::lol::lol: