Family Day

Hey guys,

New here, after a lot of heated debate with a few friends, what do you Ontarians think about Family Day?

Personally, most of my family from all parts of Canada are coming to celebrate it with us while my grandparents feel "isn't sunday supposed to be family day?"

Just wondering what are your thoughts about it and McGuinty?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many do not get family day.

In fact I do not know anyone in my business that will get family day.

family day was nothing but a poorly thought out political piece of bad management. Waste of time and money.

Thoughts on M'ginty?

A mouse of a man who I would not cross the street other than to tell him to take a hike.

He will be the ruination of this province.

His "all in the name of tolerance" will create a wide divide that will lead to even more racial intolerance.

I find the man to be really quite disgusting.

Borg

Edited by Borg

It is essentially a payroll tax, a Liberal promise that cost Dalton McGuinty nothing, cost the economy a great deal and has to be paid for by employers. Those workers losing their jobs in Ontario auto plants won't be getting much out of 'family day.'

That's true. All days should be business days. There should be no holidays or weekends at all. It is an impediment to business and smacks of communism.

It is essentially a payroll tax, a Liberal promise that cost Dalton McGuinty nothing, cost the economy a great deal and has to be paid for by employers. Those workers losing their jobs in Ontario auto plants won't be getting much out of 'family day.'

This whining about how it will "cost" the economy is nonsense. When I was in Europe, stores were open from something like 7am to 3pm M-F, a couple hours on Saturday and closed on Sunday. Suggest such a thing here, and people would act like it's the end of the world, but in reality people adjust and the economy functions normally.

Actually, I think it would be fitting to rename our holiday to reflect our superiority over our colonies to the west...

Would that be THIS superiority?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...PStory/Business

Or would it be THIS superiority?

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...hub=TorontoHome

Edited by BornAlbertan

So how exactly does "superiority" simply reflect economic performance? Whatever the case, Flaherty is a holdover from the Harris regime and whatever he says about the economy is tainted by the usual neocon delusions. Simply put, Ontario is the heart of Canada; the rest of Canada would be nothing if it wasn't for Ontario, and the West has always been and will always remain a mere colony of central Canada (Ontario).

So how exactly does "superiority" simply reflect economic performance? Whatever the case, Flaherty is a holdover from the Harris regime and whatever he says about the economy is tainted by the usual neocon delusions. Simply put, Ontario is the heart of Canada; the rest of Canada would be nothing if it wasn't for Ontario, and the West has always been and will always remain a mere colony of central Canada (Ontario).

Actually...it is the lack of economic performance is reflecting the lack of superiority. Sucks, don't it? Ontario needs Alberta $$ soooooo bad right now it must hurt. I mean, the great and mighty Ontario...seeing droves of people running to the west because it is fading into insignificance in the new economic reality that is being realized in Canada. Crying to the feds for more money...booohoooo. The economic power is shifting westward and it hurts...damn nears cuts right to the heart...get it? Ontario = "the heart of Canada"....cuts right to the heart...

Actually...it is the lack of economic performance is reflecting the lack of superiority. Sucks, don't it? Ontario needs Alberta $$ soooooo bad right now it must hurt. I mean, the great and mighty Ontario...seeing droves of people running to the west because it is fading into insignificance in the new economic reality that is being realized in Canada. Crying to the feds for more money...booohoooo. The economic power is shifting westward and it hurts...damn nears cuts right to the heart...get it? Ontario = "the heart of Canada"....cuts right to the heart...

Your over-reacting a tad, dontcha think??? Superiority is determined by a number of things, such as political power, arts/culture, education... The fact that all you can think of is "the economy" really just supports my supposition that there isn't much to Alberta.

Actually, I think it would be fitting to rename our holiday to reflect our superiority over our colonies to the west...

I'm having a hard time telling if this is good-natured interprovincial ribbing, or if you're serious. If you're serious, it's kind of sad really.

Where are Canada's best movie and television productions being made? (hint: not in Ontario.)

Where are Canada's best new musicians coming from? Every part of the country.

Canada's most prosperous places? West.

Best quality of life? Vancouver, allegedly.

Ontario's only remaining "superiority over the colonies" is in two areas: number of MPs, and number of old buildings. Yawn.

Ontario might be a "parent" in confederation, but the "kids" have grown up, and as is often the case, the adult kids have equaled or exceeded their parents in many respects.

Happy Family Day to those of you in Alberta and Ontario (is it called Family Day in Saskatchewan as well?)

And to our friends in Manitoba, have an especially happy Louis Riel Day!

(these t-shirts are rockin'!)

-k

I would love to see a February holiday for us out here in BC.

We should have one called Sihk appreciation day! That'd mess with people's minds! ;)

*just kidding

But I would really like to have a long weekend in between Christmas and Easter. Those three months are a looong haul.

That's true. All days should be business days. There should be no holidays or weekends at all. It is an impediment to business and smacks of communism.

We have plenty of holidays already. This is a typical Liberal (and liberal) promise: someone else has to pay for Dalton's largesse. With Ontario falling behind in Canada we can ill afford such 'tax' burden on employers. This was a cynical attempt by the Mcguinty Liberals to buy votes.

....and the West has always been and will always remain a mere colony of central Canada (Ontario).

And that's exactly the attitude that should awaken those out here to seperation. We're no colony my friend, we fund confederation in Alberta. Canada would be a much poorer nation without us. We run the show now. Ontario had it's time, but it's over now that the endless government subsidies to weak business models has ended. Toronto's finance industry now is based on getting money for oil and gas out west. The TSX is based on oil. Ontario is based on Alberta's oil.

Each Alberta produces nearly twice as much economic value as each Ontarian. The reality of 2008 is much different than the realities of the 80's.

Without Alberta GDP: 1,206,282,000

Without Alberta Population: 29,279,000

GDP per Capita: $41,200

With Alberta GDP: 1,446,307,000

With Alberta Population: 32,649,000

GDP per Capita: $44,299

We provide 20% of the economic activity of the country having just over 10% of the population and increase the GDP by 7% just by being here. Ontario's GDP per capita according to StatsCan is actually below the national GDP per capita, meaning the province is a drain on our economic well being in Canada.

Thanks for coming out though. Reality sucks hey.

Edited by geoffrey

We have plenty of holidays already. This is a typical Liberal (and liberal) promise: someone else has to pay for Dalton's largesse. With Ontario falling behind in Canada we can ill afford such 'tax' burden on employers. This was a cynical attempt by the Mcguinty Liberals to buy votes.

Canada and Ontario are still behind other more productive economies in terms of long work weeks and less vacations. The Swedes are much more productive than us, and have many more vacation and shorter work weeks. As are the Aussies.

Let see, if you work for the auto sector or a company that is foreign owned, you don't get it off. I just wondered why the banks closed when they are under Federal and not provincial? Some groceries closed, some didn't. Alot people would rather have it in the summer when there more to do. If the businesses had stayed open they may have made more money since alot people may have gone shopping.

Let see, if you work for the auto sector or a company that is foreign owned, you don't get it off.

Yes you do.

I just wondered why the banks closed when they are under Federal and not provincial?

Because it's a holiday for Ontarians.

Some groceries closed, some didn't. Alot people would rather have it in the summer when there more to do. If the businesses had stayed open they may have made more money since alot people may have gone shopping.

Maybe, but that's their choice.

I believe the auto-workers don't get off because they already get a lot more holidays like Remembrance Day and SPA days than the rest of Canadians is it not? Then I think they should stop whining about it.

Also, RE: Family Day, I think it was more of a day to balance Ontario's holidays with other provinces right?

Nice discussion though. Thanks guys.

PS. My relatives are very happy with McGuinty on this issue which is interesting. I think Remembrance Day should be a public holiday.

As a small business man ,this holiday is a financial hardship. In my business Febuary is the slowest month of the year for me. One less day of productivity makes it harder to make a payroll. I struggle not to lay people off! They have bills to pay and I like to reward loyalty but this makes it harder to endure.

As a small business man ,this holiday is a financial hardship. In my business Febuary is the slowest month of the year for me. One less day of productivity makes it harder to make a payroll. I struggle not to lay people off! They have bills to pay and I like to reward loyalty but this makes it harder to endure.

interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.

But, Ontario is one of the only provinces which did not have a February holiday so far and whether you call it Family Day or Banana Day it doesn't matter but it was bound to come sooner or later. So my question is, wouldn't it balance the playing field so to speak with other provinces? Plus mondays are generally low-productivity days anyway :lol:

So called Family Day, worthy of a statutory holiday. Remembrance Day, not so much. Way to go Ontario.

The argument for NOT making Remembrance Day a holiday makes sense: people would just consider it another day-off. It's fine the way it is, but I think that the real problem that has to be addressed is how the world wars are dealt with in history classes.