85,000 people used the food bank in Calgary last year

margrace

IOW, the best way to help poor people is to give them money and let them go to the local grocery store and buy the food they need. It's crazy to set up a parallel (and inefficient) food distribution system.

I used the food bank once and also during the same period the Church of Our Lady Immaculate gave my kid and I a voucher to get groceries. I am forever grateful that there was some solace for those in humble beginnings as it were for me.

Ideally, I would imagine those who stumble and falter at varying stages of life, would turn to the food bank. I recalled the kindness of the people. They had much stuff available and we took what we needed. The food bank sent us off to the church who surprisingly never batted an eye to assist, but gave the opportunity to purchase our necessity.

I can never forget those who help, when you needed them the most. I think the church must have also bless us. The same day we took their voucher, I got me a job and I haven't stop working since - YAY. And before you criticised that I was responsible for my sad state, I was too busy making my kid - YAY to that also. She turned out to be a good kid.

I guess like most debates and discussions unless you actually experience the talking of alms, it is easy from a logical point to say get rid of this in favor of efficiency or to question how can this or that be.

The food bank exist as grass-root savers, it works.

Ideally, I would imagine those who stumble and falter at varying stages of life, would turn to the food bank....

The food bank exist as grass-root savers, it works.

Do not think of it as your failing. This is an outcome of the economic system. In any free market there has to be an entire range of products, those that have a market and those that do not. If the product is human, we cannot turn our backs and still be humane...

"Fast food is cheaper, thus poor people tend to go for the cost savings.'

Not at all. Fast fod is cheaper only if you have poor eating habits and try to make the equivalent garbage.

A hearty bowl of oatmeal with milk and brown sugar and a banana on the side is about 40 cents. Agreed.... you couldn't make an egg Mcclogg-artery-fat mcmuffin for 40 cents.

"100 miles to the nearest bakery"....and you don't have sufficient income and use the food bank? Get off your ass and move to where you can provide for yourself and your family. Talk about shiftless and needing a kick in the ass. Boo! Hoo!

Grrreat Idea!

Move to downtown Vancouver from the sticks and not only will you not be able to afford food, you won't be able to afford rent either!

Do you see what you are saying?

If you have never been poor you have no clue what it is like. If you have never forgone a piece of bread because your kid needs it, you have no clue what it is like. If you've never had to juggle (should I buy food or pay the rent?) you have no clue.

If you are single and poor -- you have no clue what it is like to have a little mouth to feed (besides your own).

Grrreat Idea!

Move to downtown Vancouver from the sticks and not only will you not be able to afford food, you won't be able to afford rent either!

Do you see what you are saying?

If you have never been poor you have no clue what it is like. If you have never forgone a piece of bread because your kid needs it, you have no clue what it is like. If you've never had to juggle (should I buy food or pay the rent?) you have no clue.

If you are single and poor -- you have no clue what it is like to have a little mouth to feed (besides your own).

Vancouver? Why not move to a thousand other places. There are atlases you can borrow from the library. more likely you don't have the ambition to move your ass and get your act together. Please don't come to Alberta. We don't need negative no-can-do whiners. It's unfortunate some kids are stuck with parents who use victimhood as excuse for failure and perpetuate the poverty on to their families.

Edited by oreodontist

Some people are irresponsible spendthrifts but that does not take away from the fact that there is a need for foodbanks. That foodbanks play an important role in many people's lives.

It is obvious that you are very young and have not experienced a very wide array of circumstances in your life. Anything can happen to anyone, anyone can lose their job or be hurt and unable to work; their families still need to eat.

And what is your issue with food banks anyway? Did you get turned down? It's not like foodbanks cost you any money -- so what's your issue?

Edited by Drea

Not at all. Fast fod is cheaper only if you have poor eating habits and try to make the equivalent garbage.

A hearty bowl of oatmeal with milk and brown sugar and a banana on the side is about 40 cents. Agreed.... you couldn't make an egg Mcclogg-artery-fat mcmuffin for 40 cents.

"100 miles to the nearest bakery"....and you don't have sufficient income and use the food bank? Get off your ass and move to where you can provide for yourself and your family. Talk about shiftless and needing a kick in the ass. Boo! Hoo!

Boy are you some nasty person, I take it you don't know how to read. I never said I used the food banks, I said I volunteered at ours do you? No I guess not since you can't read properly. Go back and read and you will find I am a retired senior citizen who volunteers at the food bank. You apparently have little knowledge of most of Ontario. Lots of places are many miles from a bakery and from your beloved Walmart

What do you think would be the cost of food riots?

Talk about ignorant about economics!

Food riots? Are you joking? The closest that you'll see in Canada is people eating packaged food in supermarket aisles and then not paying.

----

Apart from legitimate concerns about poverty in Canada, irresponsible parents and how governments should help certain individuals and children, it remains that food banks are a really dumb way to distribute food. We have now in Canada one of the most efficient systems for producing and distributing food - it involves farmers across the continent, transport companies, food processors, food wholesalers and all manner of retail stores open all hours of the day and night.

Why would anyone want to set up a parallel food distribution system?

People who organize food banks are like people who set up a tin-can telephone system to transmit a message - when there's the Internet available.

Its not a "parallel" food distribution system.

The food in the foodbank is purchased from grocery stores and donated. So the grocery store is still involved in the distribution. Foodbanks also recieve free food from them (damaged but edible fruits and veggies, dented cans, torn bags, day old bread). This food would just go to waste (tons of it does) if not to the foodbank.

Its not a "parallel" food distribution system.
It's not? Then what is it?
The food in the foodbank is purchased from grocery stores and donated. So the grocery store is still involved in the distribution. Foodbanks also recieve free food from them (damaged but edible fruits and veggies, dented cans, torn bags, day old bread). This food would just go to waste (tons of it does) if not to the foodbank.
Oh. Food Banks are like a Loblaws Clearance Warehouse. Why didn't you just say so?

Is the existence of clearance warehouses evidence of dire poverty in Canada?

Edited by August1991

I was watch the news and whoever said food was cheap, well, not for long. Apparently ALL food is about to go up and up. There's a short of grain in the world so anything that has wheat in it is going up. The basics, bread, eggs,milk and meat all going up. The guy on the news said better fill your freezer now because the food you buy NOW will be worth more in the months to come. I think the government of this land should help with these banks because what they do in Ottawa or the provinces capital reflects back on the public and you won't see any politican going to a Food Bank but maybe we should.

Apart from legitimate concerns about poverty in Canada, irresponsible parents and how governments should help certain individuals and children, it remains that food banks are a really dumb way to distribute food.

I agree with you August. Some people legitimately need a helping hand to make ends meet. What gets me are those deadbeat parents that squander money on their personal pleasures and when money runs out they turn to food banks to feed themselves and their kids.

I may be wrong but I believe these food banks get some government funding for part of their operations. Granted, volunteers man the food banks but there are other expenses to cover such as overhead, i.e. rent, hydro, telephone, heat etc., somebody has to pay for this.

What I think may be better is a voucher system where recipients would go to the grocery store and do their own shopping. This would also open their eyes as to the real cost of food and force them to make responsible decisions as consumers. At the food bank, there is no cashier and everything is just dumped into bags and away they go. In my mind, a voucher system would also be less demeaning than having to visit a food bank where they pretty well limited to what is available there. Also, food banks have a limited variety of fresh food and meats further limiting choice by the recipient.

I just feel there must be a better way than what we're doing right now.

It's not? Then what is it?

Oh. Food Banks are like a Loblaws Clearance Warehouse. Why didn't you just say so?

Is the existence of clearance warehouses evidence of dire poverty in Canada?

How our food bank operates, we have a certain amount of money donated, and lately the Ont. government gives us a little. We have been operating for over 10 years and this is a new development. The milk board donates fresh milk every week, we did have an organization called Harvest Share that had mileage money given to them by the government but that has been withdrawn and because the people had to drive an average of 3 to 4 hundred miles once a week, it had to be shut down. It collected food from various locations, mainly breads and dessert types that would otherwise go to the dump.

We have a lot of food donated from vaious organizations and from our one grocery store. The food in the grocery store is put in a box by people buying their groceries. We have our location donated to us and we pay hydro because of the fidges and freezers. We share along with other food banks in our area food that is sent from various producers. Eg overrun of frozen soups etd.

In the winter we sometimes have fresh meat, moose, deer and bear. These are given my the MNR people from illegal kills and we have to pay for processing and inspection. We also get pork and beef donated by local farmers ocassionaly and in the fall we get fresh fruits and vegetables from local gardeners.

Every year our firedeptment, ambulance drivers and other organizations have a donation day when they go around and collect food from local citizens who donate it.

We usually serve 70% children and the rest adults.

Some people are irresponsible spendthrifts but that does not take away from the fact that there is a need for foodbanks. That foodbanks play an important role in many people's lives.

It is obvious that you are very young and have not experienced a very wide array of circumstances in your life. Anything can happen to anyone, anyone can lose their job or be hurt and unable to work; their families still need to eat.

And what is your issue with food banks anyway? Did you get turned down? It's not like foodbanks cost you any money -- so what's your issue?

Wrong. It's obvious you need to get off your ass moving. We raised 3 children and put two through university and one through trade school. We ourselves ate Kraft dinner and put ourselves through university. We also moved several times and took responsibility for ourselves.

Hint: once you run out of excuses for failing to provide for your children, you may get your act together. Yes, you WILL lose your job and people do get ill. That's why you need to put a dollar in the cookie jar today. It's called being responsible and not going 'Boo! Hoo! Poor me ' when crap happens. Mills do close, mines close, companies shut there doors. Any decent parent plans for that now and doesn't not put their kids at the fate of others.

Victimhood is a terrible example for your children. The overwhelming majority of Canadians have full bellies and provide for their children. Are they all more intelligent? all have better social skills? Why can they manage and you don't? Ask yourself why they can do it and what steps you can take to follow their example. Don't keep finding excuses to be a loser.

Wrong. It's obvious you need to get off your ass moving. We raised 3 children and put two through university and one through trade school. We ourselves ate Kraft dinner and put ourselves through university. We also moved several times and took responsibility for ourselves.

Hint: once you run out of excuses for failing to provide for your children, you may get your act together. Yes, you WILL lose your job and people do get ill. That's why you need to put a dollar in the cookie jar today. It's called being responsible and not going 'Boo! Hoo! Poor me ' when crap happens. Mills do close, mines close, companies shut there doors. Any decent parent plans for that now and doesn't not put their kids at the fate of others.

Victimhood is a terrible example for your children. The overwhelming majority of Canadians have full bellies and provide for their children. Are they all more intelligent? all have better social skills? Why can they manage and you don't? Ask yourself why they can do it and what steps you can take to follow their example. Don't keep finding excuses to be a loser.

Most of us land on the right side of lady luck, and yes that is the way the world runs. Listening to the stories from people often makes me cry. Why certain families, ones who try so hard, are singled out for such bad luck is hard to understand. Its easy to be critical when you have never been there.

And yes a lot of us lived exacltly like you, my children put themselves through their education. They all have done wll and some extremely well. But we had unexpected deaths and illnesses to deal with and we survived. But that does not explain why some have such a hard time.

Yes there is the odd one I would like to shake but then that is the way of the world isn't it.

Why do you hate children whose parents are not rich? Why are you angry with those who are "poor"? Foodbanks don't cost you anything. Those of us who want to donate do so with our own money or grocieries.

Do you slam the door when the Salvation Army does their annual "walk and knock"?

"Damn people sucking up resources! Should be born rrrich, like me! says the newbie. :rolleyes:

Well that's when social services step in and take the children away.

Most of us land on the right side of lady luck, and yes that is the way the world runs. Listening to the stories from people often makes me cry. Why certain families, ones who try so hard, are singled out for such bad luck is hard to understand. Its easy to be critical when you have never been there.

And yes a lot of us lived exacltly like you, my children put themselves through their education. They all have done wll and some extremely well. But we had unexpected deaths and illnesses to deal with and we survived. But that does not explain why some have such a hard time.

Yes there is the odd one I would like to shake but then that is the way of the world isn't it.

Unexpected deaths are no excuse to not being resposible today. Of course bad things happen. Deaths...job loss. What about TODAY? The difference between responsible individuals and the chronic victims is the former don't wait to be leaves blowing in the wind. Most land on their feet and it's not to do with lady luck or being dealt the right cards. It's undestanding that (especially when there are children) not to leave things to luck. Fools have the irresponsible attitude 'we'll manage somehow'. Folks with their act together prepare themselves for challenges. Millions of people came to Canada and millions have moved within Canada. Not surprising the #1 reason for the thousands of young people is change and 'to make money'. The #1 reason for people with children is 'better opportunity and a secure future for their children'. They don't wait to be victims.

Firstly, I more than likely make more money than you do.

Secondly, I more than likely am more thrifty than you are.

Who do you think you are? Coming on MLW and insulting posters Mr. Newbie. Pffft. For all we know you live in your grandmother's basement... ;)

If you have an issue with foodbanks that is not my problem. Tomorrow when I do my weekly shopping I will still donate to the bin just like I always do.

There will always be people such as Margrace and myself who believe in helping others. It's just in our nature to want to help others. It's called altruism -- a concept you are more than likely unaware of.

Children need to eat, whether or not their parents just ran out of money or if they are utter losers.

I would rather give to the foodbank than give the parents more money to spend at the pub.

(Skipping over 'Hysterical Drea')

What I think may be better is a voucher system where recipients would go to the grocery store and do their own shopping. This would also open their eyes as to the real cost of food and force them to make responsible decisions as consumers.

Agreed. Food banks in large cities have become institutions in themselves. There are costs involved beyond direct government dollars. Food vouchers put decisions in the hands of the user.

Re self-supporting charities. they are usually a positive and do a lot of good for society. But, they cost all citizens. A hundred dollars donated to a non-profit organization is often a hundred dollars of income exempt from taxes. Someone donating a hundred dollars to a Ballet company, food bank, Red Cross, etc. may be saving $25 in taxes....taxes not available for schools, healthcare and so on. Usually the end use of donations is a positive that outweighs the exemption but it's not at no cost to taxpayers.

So it is cheaper. Thats all you had to say.

Great idea , one cannot afford to put food on the table, but of course they could afford to move.

I uh, see a problem. It is not a black and white world.

(Skipping over 'Hysterical Drea')

Agreed. Food banks in large cities have become institutions in themselves. There are costs involved beyond direct government dollars. Food vouchers put decisions in the hands of the user.

Not skipping over... just ignoring the insult ;)

Food vouchers can be sold and the money used for drugs. This leaves children going hungry.

Re self-supporting charities. they are usually a positive and do a lot of good for society. But, they cost all citizens. A hundred dollars donated to a non-profit organization is often a hundred dollars of income exempt from taxes. Someone donating a hundred dollars to a Ballet company, food bank, Red Cross, etc. may be saving $25 in taxes....taxes not available for schools, healthcare and so on. Usually the end use of donations is a positive that outweighs the exemption but it's not at no cost to taxpayers.

As an altruist, I believe in giving to those less fortunate. It is a shame that some take advantage but, as I have said before we can't let that stop us from helping those with legitimate needs.

Yes its like another volunteer service we provide. When you are dying of cancer and want to stay in your own home,we will come in and sit with you, provide you with a cup of tea and let your Wife/husband catch up on some sleep or get out of the house. We will have saved the money it cost to keep you in the hospital and given some time to someone.

Of course this does not make money for you either does it and that seems to be the main idea. That is why the country is going down the tubes, people can think of nothing but money.

Then there are the retired boomers in our area who run most of these services. Seems they are giving back what this country gave them, but I guess you don't have time, too busy spending all your money.

It a good thing for your future that people such as I and Drea do care about others.

Edited by margrace

Yes its like another volunteer service we provide. When you are dying of cancer and want to stay in your own home,we will come in and sit with you,

While I may disagree with you on various issues, I respect and am happy that you are out there doing this job.

It is a noble calling and thank you for that.