Quote of the Day/Week/Month/Year

August1991

Osama bin Laden, 52, on US President Barack Obama:

"He has followed the steps of his predecessor in antagonising Muslims ... and laying the foundation for long wars," bin Laden said in a tape released shortly after Obama arrived in Saudi Arabia on Wednesday.

"Obama and his administration have sowed new seeds of hatred against America," bin Laden said referring to what he claimed to be a US support to Pakistan in its fight against Taliban in the Swat region, which has displaced 2.4 million people.

Bin Laden warned the American people against the risk of extended wars because of the policies of the different US administrations.

"Let the American people prepare for to harvest the crops of what the leaders of the White House plant in the next years and decades," he said.

Al-Jazeera

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Osama bin Laden, 52, on US President Barack Obama:Al-Jazeera

You would think he would say at least something about the auto industry bailouts, credit crunch or Detroits chances at another Cup..almost like it was a boiler plate press announcement...I tell you, Bin Laden will never get elected with lame statements like the alst one.

US President Barack Obama in an interview with Canal Plus:

“What I want to do is to create a better dialogue so that the Muslim world understands more effectively how the United States but also how the West thinks about many of these difficult issues like terrorism, like democracy, to discuss the framework for what's happened in Iraq and Afghanistan and our outreach to Iran, and also how we view the prospects for peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians.

"Now, the flip side is I think that the United States and the West generally, we have to educate ourselves more effectively on Islam. And one of the points I want to make is, is that if you actually took the number of Muslims Americans, we'd be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world. And so there's got to be a better dialogue and a better understanding between the two peoples.”

White House

Various estimates put the number of Muslims in the US anywhere between 3 and 8 million with an often quoted number of 6 million. The Pew Research Center has polled Americans on religious identification and it arrived at an estimate of 1.8 million or 0.6% of the population, marginally above those who identify themselves as "New Age" (0.4%).

Contrary to Obama's claim or definition of "largest", and using the number of 6 million Muslims in America, this would make it about the 30th largest Muslim country in the world. (Afghanistan and Syria, for example, have more than 6 million Muslims.)

Edited by August1991

US President Obama:

As the Holy Koran tells us, "Be conscious of God and speak always the truth." (Applause.) That is what I will try to do today -- to speak the truth as best I can, humbled by the task before us, and firm in my belief that the interests we share as human beings are far more powerful than the forces that drive us apart.

I don't know, but I think this is the first President that referred to the Koran as a foreign policy guide? I can tell you the Koran didn't tell Bush or Clinton anything. Weird how he referred to "us". Made me uncomfortable when I watched it.

US President Obama:

I don't know, but I think this is the first President that referred to the Koran as a foreign policy guide? I can tell you the Koran didn't tell Bush or Clinton anything. Weird how he referred to "us". Made me uncomfortable when I watched it.

The Koran is a better guide on flight paths between Logan International Airport and Newark International Airport, each headed to Lower Manhattan, than a guide to foreign policy. In both cases not very good.

What part do you disagree with: the conscious of god part, or the speaking the truth part?
Muslims have different standards for allegiance to the truth, depending on who the listener is. So with it, if Allah doesn't mandate a neutral ethical posture, as a G-d Allah isn't very good.

And the flight path......

Muslims have different standards for allegiance to the truth, depending on who the listener is. So with it, if Allah doesn't mandate a neutral ethical posture, as a G-d Allah isn't very good.

Ah.. the truth part. That's what I figured.

Federal Natural Resources Minister Lisa Raitt, 41, caught on the forgotten tape recorder of her $120,000/year Communications Director, Jasmine MacDonnell:

... on cabinet colleague Leona Aglukkaq:

"I think her staff is trying to shield her," says Ms. Raitt. "Oh God. She’s such a capable woman, but it’s hard for her to come out of a co-operative government into this rough-and-tumble. She had a question in the House yesterday, or two days ago, that planked. I really hope she never gets anything hot."

... on Chalk River:

Ms. MacDonnell said the isotope issue is hard to control, "because it’s confusing to a lot of people."

"But it’s sexy," says Ms. Raitt. "Radioactive leaks. Cancer."

"Nuclear contamination," says Ms. MacDonnell.

"But it’s only about money," says Ms. Raitt.

... on Hy's:

"I don’t do the Hy’s thing," she says. "I can’t. I’d love to, but I can’t. That’ll be a career limiting move, as we would say. Speaking of career limiting moves, I’m in shock that that MP Joy Smith brought forward private member’s legislation on human trafficking."
The Chronicle-Herald

US President Barack Obama on street protests after the Iranian election:

"I think it would be wrong for me to be silent about what we've seen on the television over the last few days. And what I would say to those people who put so much hope and energy and optimism into the political process, I would say to them that the world is watching and inspired by their participation, regardless of what the ultimate outcome of the election was. And they should know that the world is watching.

"And particularly to the youth of Iran, I want them to know that we in the United States do not want to make any decisions for the Iranians, but we do believe that the Iranian people and their voices should be heard and respected."

Link

Timothy Denton, 59, CRTC Commissioner:

"However, if the Canadian portion of the Internet could be placed under the Act, and speech involving video, or sound, became a licensed activity, we would have reversed several centuries of constitutional evolution and gone back to the days prior to 1688 of licensed printing presses or, in our case, licensed video telephone transmissions as well as licensed computer users. Several important political revolutions have been fought to ensure freedom of the press and speech; it would be repugnant to nibble away at it in defence of anything as comparatively unimportant as Canadian broadcasting policy. Yet such a possibility does not lack for advocates."
CRTC

Artemis, 41, resident of Tehran:

“People want freedom and justice,” she said. “They stole the vote. No one in his right mind believes this result.”

She said she had been afraid to voice criticism before. “The neighbours listen to you, and people go to prison just for what they say, or what they write. But this is contagious. What you are seeing, all these people, this comes from 30 years of oppression and now we have had enough.”

Sunday Times

South Carolina Governor Mark Sandford, 49, in emails to Maria, his Argentinian girlfriend:

"As I told you before, you brought happiness and love to my life and (I) will take you forever in my heart. I wasn’t aware till we met last week, the strong feelings I had for you, and believe me, I haven’t felt this since I was in my teen ages, when afterwards I got married. I do love you, I can feel it in my heart, and although I don’t know if we’ll ever be able to meet again this has been the best that has happened to me in a long time You made me realized (sic) how you feel when you realy (sic) love somebody and how much you want to be beside the beloved.

"Two, mutual feelings …. You have a particular grace and calm that I adore. You have a level of sophistication that so fitting with your beauty. I could digress and say that you have the ability to give magnificent gentle kisses, or that I love your tan lines or that I love the curve of your hips, the erotic beauty of you holding yourself (or two magnificent parts of yourself) in the faded glow of the night’s light - but hey, that would be going into sexual details …

"Three and finally, while all the things above are all too true - at the same time we are in a hopelessly - or as you put it impossible - or how about combine and simply say hopelessly impossible situation of love. How in the world this lightening strike snuck up on us I am still not quite sure. As I have said to you before I certainly had a special feeling about you from the first time we met, but these feelings were contained and I genuinely enjoyed our special friendship and the comparing of all too many personal notes …

The Columbia State

Ayatollah Sayyid Ahmad Khatami:

"I want the judiciary to ... punish leading rioters firmly and without showing any mercy to teach everyone a lesson," said Khatami, an influential cleric close to Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. "Based on Islamic law, whoever confronts the Islamic state ... should be convicted as mohareb (those who wage war on God) ... They should be punished ruthlessly and savagely.

"Anyone who takes up arms to fight with the people, they are worthy of execution," Khatami said.

Toronto Star

Toronto Mayor David Miller, 50, Harvard graduate born in San Francisco whines about a garbage strike:

"I want to say to the unions, and to the people they represent: Enough is enough," the mayor told a news conference.

"There's been progress at the bargaining table this week and now is the time to end this strike, allow children in Toronto the opportunity to use their public services, and allow us to get back to normal."

Toronto Star

US President Barack Obama describes the situation of Russian President Dmitri Medvedev and Russian PM Vladimir Putin:

"My understanding is, is that President Medvedev is the president, Prime Minister Putin is the prime minister, and they allocate power in accordance with Russia's form of government in the same way that we allocate power in the United States," Obama said.
AP