What makes incest wrong?

Renegade

I saw a recent story on CNN: Unknowing twins marry each other

LONDON, England (CNN) -- British twins who had been separated at birth learned they were related only after they had become husband and wife, a senior British lawmaker said. The marriage has been annulled.

What makes incest wrong?

What makes this couple brother and sister? Is it simply DNA? Would two adopted kids who grew up in the same household as brother and sister but not genetically related, be considered "brother" and "sister" and any sexual acts between them incest?

It seems to me that our crimminalization of incest is simply based upon past cultural taboos, rather than any rational justification.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes incest wrong?

What makes this couple brother and sister? Is it simply DNA? Would two adopted kids who grew up in the same household as brother and sister but not genetically related, be considered "brother" and "sister" and any sexual acts between them incest?

It seems to me that our crimminalization of incest is simply based upon past cultural taboos, rather than any rational justification.

well, that and the chances of genetic oddities.....not so important in a cosmopolitain world but in our world 200 years ago when the average person doidn't travel farther than 100 miles in their life and marrying 2nd and 3 rd cousins was normal....inbreding was always a danger and incest could be deadly to the offspring.

What makes incest wrong?

I agree, lets keep it in the family people! Breeding between directly related people can mean horrible defects. Related through marriage might be harmless other then being a bit socially awkward.Personally I couldnt imagine being attracted sexually to siblings they grew up with without being slightly perverted.

Edited by Brain Candy

What makes incest wrong?

Relatively speaking ?

Im here all week .Try the veal !

I saw that this week, and on the surface of this story, I can find fault. It was done unknowingly, and love for another can happen obviously.

Genetics as referred earlier is one reason. The icky factor is another, but that comes from knowing thats your sibling.

This one is wierd that way.I was shocked, but only so far as to how twins , unkowingly,could find each other in the sea of partners out there. Talk about a needle in a haystack.

But you know, somewhere a christian poster is tsk tsking this as immoral.

Uh oh....I hear a coronary coming on.

From Stockwell Day?

I have my dinosaur tucked in my pocket if he needs something to hold for comfort.

Uh, let me re-phrase that. I don't want him to reach for my dinosaur.

Edited by jdobbin

well, that and the chances of genetic oddities.....not so important in a cosmopolitain world but in our world 200 years ago when the average person doidn't travel farther than 100 miles in their life and marrying 2nd and 3 rd cousins was normal....inbreding was always a danger and incest could be deadly to the offspring.

So why isn't sexual relationships between two people who are carriers for Tay Sachs criminal?

What if the participants in incest bear no chance of having kids? (eg they are gay or infertile) Should it still be criminal?

Edited by Renegade

N: Unknowing twins marry each other

What makes incest wrong?

In a world of artificial insemination and test-tube babies, the problem becomes even more complex.

Or how about an adopted child marrying a sibling?

Is the question merely DNA or is it also a question of relative information? Should a financial planner marry a client?

I always wonder how Adam and Eve's children managed. Anyone have any clues?
Uh, the history of Eve and Adam is false?

Then again, Queen Victoria was a grandmother to three European Heads of State at a critical juncture in European history.

I'm sure there's a plot for a good Hollywood movie in all this.

Two of my first cousins married in the '60s. At that time, as catholics they had to obtain a special dispensation from the Pope which they were granted. They had four children. One committed suicide, one was born with a congenital heart disease and mildly retarded, and the other two are severely retarded. Was it "wrong" for them to get married? I suppose not. But if you asked their kids I think they may have a different opinion.

In the 70s, my brother and his wife had three children. Two died of cystic fibrosis in childhood the third is healthy but a carrier of the gene. My niece married and her husband was tested; happily, he was not a carrier. They had two healthy children. Mercifully, couples who have the cystic fibrosis gene in the family can now be tested. If they're both carriers, the decision on whether to have children rests with them but the odds are not good.

A couple in love, whether they're related or not, should think of the consequences on the children they may conceive in light of their own particular circumstances. In this day and age, lack of information is no excuse for bringing children into the world who have nothing to look forward to.

As for the twins who somehow hooked up through a twist of fate, well I smell a book or movie coming on.

You wanna tell that to Stockwell Day since it comes from Genesis Book chapters 1, 2, 3 and part of 4, 5?

Oh come off of it, if Stockwell has a right to believe whatever he wants and to criticize him for believing in a religion is ridiculous.

If we were to take pot shots at the Liberal member for wearing a turban in parliament you'd scream bloody murder.

The icky factor is another, but that comes from knowing thats your sibling.

As opposed to some guy greasing his wiener and penetrating some other guy's a-hole? It seems strange that you would consider the latter "normal" but two siblings having consentual intercourse not so. You're really in no position to be making moralizing statements about deviant sexual behaviour; that's something one loses when they condone certain forms of it. All deviant sexual behaviour is immoral and a sin, plain and simple.

As opposed to some guy greasing his wiener and penetrating some other guy's a-hole? It seems strange that you would consider the latter "normal" but two siblings having consentual intercourse not so. You're really in no position to be making moralizing statements about deviant sexual behaviour; that's something one loses when they condone certain forms of it. All deviant sexual behaviour is immoral and a sin, plain and simple.

Tell me Kengs333.....Do you consider fellatio and cunnilingus between husband and wife "immoral behavior". What about masturbation and spontaneous ejaculation?

Oh come off of it, if Stockwell has a right to believe whatever he wants and to criticize him for believing in a religion is ridiculous.

If we were to take pot shots at the Liberal member for wearing a turban in parliament you'd scream bloody murder.

The difference is one wears it on his sleeve, the other on his head.

I wasn't the one that said the story of Adam and Eve was false.

However, as someone who believes in the story of Adam and Eve, I would be curious as to how Day thinks people propagated thereafter.

Edited by jdobbin

I wasn't the one that said the story of Adam and Eve was false.

However, as someone who believes in the story of Adam and Eve, I would be curious as to how Day thinks people propagated thereafter.

It would be a biblical misconception to think that Adam and Eve were the first humans...

001:026 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our

likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea,

and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over

all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth

upon the earth.

001:027 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God

created he him; male and female created he them.

001:028 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and

multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have

dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the

air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

And that was the 6th day in the Yaweh space time continuum....

then, while the primeval man spent his time eating sleeping, and rutting like over fed rabbits in the field, unawares of their humanity or the horrendous shame that accompanies really good sex under the banyan tree....

002:004 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when

they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth

and the heavens,

002:005 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and

every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had

not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man

to till the ground.

002:006 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole

face of the ground.

002:007 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and

breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became

a living soul.

So there you have it. God creates animal man and time passes, Then god creates spiritual man. who will at some point become agrarian man....