Is the Harper government doing a good job?

Is the Harper government doing a good job?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think they've done a decent job two years into their term as government of Canada. Taxes were lowered, but the recessoion fears recently have absolutely nothing to do with Harper's policies, but the state of the economy down south. The federal accountability act got passed in the first two months, and they really handled the Chinese tainted product situation really well by setting up an open website for all the products that were tainted.

Afghanistan and the environment are the weak points, but at least they're doing something unlike the liberals who were just chair warming for 13 long years.

Mulroney-Schrieber deal was a nonstory.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! Me the die hard!

I think they have done a decent job, but could have been better.

1) Atlantic Accord - LEAVE IT ALONE! Why the hell did they do what they did and then sign an agreement that was almost the same but worded differently. Left a bad taste in the mouths of Atlantic Canadians. A lot of people give Harper that squinty eyed look now.

2) Communication with the press - You gotta make that better. He comes off and rigid and cold. He needs to learn how to use the press, much the way the Liberals did.

3) Afghanistan - The money hole. NATO countries are going to be having debates soon on progress and future troop deployments. This things needs to have a action plan put in place and make it work no matter what. Boom or Bust is what I think might happen in the future....I'm hoping for boom with all my heart!

Overall a good showing for a new party that didn't have much experience with Federal politics (Compared to the Liberals).

I'll vote CPC again.

The conservatives are the absolute worst party for Canada to have in power, especially with an authoritarian weasel like Harper as leader. I can't stand them. They will ruin our economy like conservatives do every time they get power. Then it will be up to the Liberal to spend the next 10-20 years repairing the damage the conservatives have done. AS long as the Conservatives are in power we will be nothing but America's little bitch. When we remember that we are CANADIANS who have a right to make our own laws and enforce them how WE see fit, we will send these raptureists packing, and their "the world is 6000 years old" followers can follow behind them, thumping their bibles to the tune of the stars and stripes forever.

This minority Conservative government has been very busy. To illustrate this, I borrowed the following list of things accomplished from the blogosphere:

(1) ON THE ENVIRONMENT

• Provided $30 million towards the clean-up of Randle Reef in Hamilton Harbour, as part of the Government of Canada’s Action Plan for Clean Water;

• Expanded Nahanni National Park by 5000 square kilometers;

• Created $2 billion ecoEnergy Initiative to promote smarter energy use, greater use of clean energy sources, and cleaner use of traditional energy sources;

• Created a $1.5 billon trust for clean air and climate change in partnership with the provinces and territories, such as the development of an East-West electrical transmission interconnect between Manitoba and Ontario and support for the development of a “hydrogen highway” — a network of hydrogen fuelling stations for fuel celled buses and vehicles in British Columbia; and

• Created a $300 million Chemicals Management Plan to regulate chemicals harmful to human health and the environment.

(2) ON TACKLING CRIME

The government has passed a law and order bill that would:

• Crack down on street racing;

• Crack down on money laundering by organized crime and terrorists;

• Invested $16.1 million to protect youth at risk;

• Invested $64 million in a National Anti-Drug Strategy;

• Established federal Ombudsman for Victims of Crime;

• Took action to arm border guards;

• Invested $1.4 billion to strengthen our national security and further protect against the threat of terrorism; and

• Invested in 1000 new RCMP personnel and are working with the provinces and municipalities to hire 2500 more municipal police.

(3) ON ACCOUNTABILITY

“The Conservative government passed the Federal Accountability Act which:

• Bans political contributions by corporations and unions;

• Reduces personal political donations from $5000 to $1000 per year;

• Strengthens the power for the Auditor General to ‘Follow the Money’;

• Provides real protection for whistleblowers; and

• Instituted fixed election dates.

(4) ON CHILD CARE

The Conservative government instituted the following measures (here) at the time of the spring 2007 budget:

• “Delivered choice and support to parents through the Universal Child Care Benefit — $1200.00 per year in direct support for every child under six — over $3.7 billion in 2006 and 2007 to help parents with the cost of child care.

(5) ON HEALTH CARE

While health care is a provincial responsibility, the Conservative government has done the following:

• Implemented a 10-year $41.3 billion federal/provincial plan to strengthen health care;

• Provided $612 million in new funding to help provinces reduce patient wait times;

• Established the Canadian Partnership Against Cancer with $260 million in funding over five years to implement a national cancer strategy;

• Provided $300 million to protect women from cancer of the cervix;

• Increased funding for new training spaces to address the shortage of doctors, nurses and other health care professionals;

• Invested $400 million in the Canada Health Infoway to develop electronic health records and reduce medical errors”;

• Redressed Hep C compensation; and

• Provided support for HIV/AIDS vaccine research.

(6) ON SOVEREIGNTY

The Conservative government has a four-pronged Arctic agenda that consists of protecting national sovereignty, economic development, northern input and control (to end paternalistic federal policies) and environmental protection.

Other concrete accomplishments include:

• Construction of eight Arctic offshore patrol ships;

• Construction of an Arctic deep water port;

• Invested $20.5 million into climate change research in the Arctic; and

• Contributed $150 million for scientific research to coincide with the International Polar Year.

(7) ON LOWERING TAXES

Here is what the Conservative government has done, or will do, for taxpayers:

• Implemented a taxpayers Bill of Rights;

• GST cut from 7% and now to 5%;

• Moved the lowest personal income tax rate to 15 per cent from 15.5 per cent, effective Jan. 1 2007, undoing a change made in the first Conservative budget;

• Created the new Working Income Tax Benefit;

• Created the new $1000 Canada Employment Credit;

• Created the new $2000 Child Tax Credit amount for every child under 18;

• Increased the amount all Canadians can earn without paying federal income tax to $9600 in 2007 and 2008 and to $10,000 in 2009;

• Enacted income splitting for Canadian seniors and pensioners;

• Delivered new tax credits for public transit, kid’s sport, textbooks, tools and apprentices;

• Eliminated income tax on student scholarships, fellowships and bursaries;

• Cut taxes on small businesses;

• Ensured fairness for single-earners by ending the marriage penalty;

• Eliminated the corporate capital tax; and

• Enacted the “Tax Back Guarantee” a plan to use interest sayings from national debt repayments to reduce personal income taxes, each and every year.

(8) RIGHTING HISTORICAL WRONGS

• Improved national unity by passing the motion to confirm “Quebecois as a nation within a united Canada;”

• Indian Residential School Settlement Agreement;

• Chinese Head Tax Eliminated;

• Provision of $20,000 to every Chinese immigrant and/or surviving spouses who paid the head tax plus a $24 million towards an”historical recognition program;”

• Agent Orange compension package of $96 million to provide $20,000 to those affected;

• Prime Minister calls for Air India public inquiry; and

• Air India Memorials unveiled across Canada.

(9) THE MILITARY

• Increases military spending to a post-war peak, including a systematic upgrade of combat equipment.

Yes, there are things the Conservatives could do better, like improving communications with Canadians and the press. Overall, I give them a passing grade.

. They are also getting rid of annoying left-wing lobby groups such as the gays and feminists.

Another "too funny" post.

However, in spite of my leanings , I think they have done a pretty good job. Image wise I think stevie needs to wrok harder but that hasnt prevented him from doing his job so far.

Best government Canada has ever had in my opinion. They are cutting taxes, supporting the military, fixing the justice system, are accountable, repairing relation with US, etc. They are also getting rid of annoying left-wing lobby groups such as the gays and feminists.

I'd really like to know more about how the Conservatives are "getting rid of" gays and feminists, Monty. How exactly are they disposing of them, throwing them into the fire pits of Hell from where they came?

With your attitude I'm surprised you havn't been nominated as a conservative candidate for the next election.

Capricorn, since you are from Ottawa, you should also to be fair and honest as the Cons say they are, put out the the negative side for Canadians can also judge. The accountability act , I believe is not a done deal. There are parts of it the Cons haven't yet passed about lobbyists which Harper made a point of saying he would correct but hasn't. The deep water port at Churchill is part of the superhighway for trade so this actually will benefit all of NA not just Canada when the NAU comes into being. The energy partnership was produced by the Liberal govt as was told to Baird in a committee meeting which he agreed.

Capricorn, since you are from Ottawa, you should also to be fair and honest as the Cons say they are, put out the the negative side for Canadians can also judge.

Topaz, re your use of "Cons" I suggest you read Charles' post in News and Announcements regarding the use of short forms on the forum.

Being from Ottawa does not compel me to be fairer and more honest than other Canadians.

I won't "put out the negative side" as I am sure supporters of the opposition parties will come through just fine without my help. Stay tuned. ;)

Edited by capricorn

Topaz, re your use of "Cons" I suggest you read Charles' post in News and Announcements regarding the use of short forms on the forum.

Being from Ottawa does not compel me to be fairer and more honest than other Canadians.

I won't "put out the negative side" as I am sure supporters of the opposition parties will come through just fine without my help. Stay tuned. ;)

OK, so rules are a Liberals are Liberals and Conservatives are conservatives unless I view them as ALLIANCE/conservatives? Explain to me how two parties can come together that couldn't be further apart on their thinking. Which party give up their political beliefs? This is a serious question and no "conservative" or former alliance member has answered it yet.

Here you go Capricorn.

#4 Child care.

Why the Conservatives even think of this farce as a positive is beyond me. No new childcare spaces with billions spent. Nevermind the fact that it is you and me paying for people to keep popping out kids and giving them an incentive to do so. My friend who doesn't use or need daycare, is saving the cheques so his son can buy a nice truck when he is 16. Maybe I can get a few rides for the money I contributed.

I was against this from the start and the more money that gets spent the worse I think it is.

One thing I like that they did is the public transit credit, which you lumped in with another farce of a credit, the child sport credit.

Now why would you give money back to a family who could already afford to put their child into a organized sport while totally ignoring those who can't afford such a thing in the first place?

You only get the credit if you already had the money to sign up and buy the necessary equipment. It does nothing for the families who can't come up with the initial fees to join a league in the first place. These are the kids we need to get into after shool programs and organized sports.

The GST cut is another one I find is all sizzle and no substance for the average middle to low income family. Only those with high amounts of disposable income to spend on GST applicable items are really benifiting from the reduction.

Overall though, this Govt. has performed better than I had ever expected and has at the very least earned a passing grade.

Edited by Who's Doing What?

OK, so rules are a Liberals are Liberals and Conservatives are conservatives unless I view them as ALLIANCE/conservatives? Explain to me how two parties can come together that couldn't be further apart on their thinking. Which party give up their political beliefs? This is a serious question and no "conservative" or former alliance member has answered it yet.

Why don't you start a new thread to compare the now defunct Alliance party and the Conservative party? I am not a former Alliance member and know very little about it.

Here you go Capricorn.

#4 Child care.

Why the Conservatives even think of this farce as a positive is beyond me. No new childcare spaces with billions spent. Nevermind the fact that it is you and me paying for people to keep popping out kids and giving them an incentive to do so.

I'm against any kind of government run and subsidized child care program. I would prefer the private sector set up day care programs regulated by the provinces.

My friend who doesn't use or need daycare, is saving the cheques so his son can buy a nice truck when he is 16. Maybe I can get a few rides for the money I contributed.

Good for him/her if he can afford it. Sounds like he/she has a pretty good plan. Not to mention the money saved could be used for another contingency.

One thing I like that they did is the public transit credit, which you lumped in with another farce of a credit, the child sport credit.

In my post, I mentioned I borrowed the list from the blogosphere. It was not I that lumped the two credits together. The important thing is that they are both on the list.

Now why would you give money back to a family who could already afford to put their child into a organized sport while totally ignoring those who can't afford such a thing in the first place?

You only get the credit if you already had the money to sign up and buy the necessary equipment. It does nothing for the families who can't come up with the initial fees to join a league in the first place. These are the kids we need to get into after shool programs and organized sports.

This I agree is a big problem. I don't know what the answer is to this dilemma.

The GST cut is another one I find is all sizzle and no substance for the average middle to low income family. Only those with high amounts of disposable income to spend on GST applicable items are really benifiting from the reduction.

The GST reduction was debated ad nauseum in another thread. As I said in that thread, if the GST cut allows high income earners to save on their purchases good for them. The GST cut is popular with most Canadians and who am I to criticize them if they agree with it.

Overall though, this Govt. has performed better than I had ever expected and has at the very least earned a passing grade.

Agreed.

I'm against any kind of government run and subsidized child care program. I would prefer the private sector set up day care programs regulated by the provinces.

The government promised to deliver 125,000 spots with private business help. Solberg says it is "not doable".

If Canadians are looking for a party to support money to actually build daycare spaces, they should vote for another party.

The government promised to deliver 125,000 spots with private business help. Solberg says it is "not doable".

Good. I don't want the government involved beyond regulating the care providers.

If Canadians are looking for a party to support money to actually build daycare spaces, they should vote for another party.

Sounds fair to me.

Edited by capricorn

Listening to Windsor On radio today, the Alliance/Conservatives is very likely going to lose one of their members in the next election. I tried to find a link but isn't a big enough deal for the press. This is the problem, the Essex Ford plant was closed by Ford and people lost their jobs. The CAW went to the province and the Ottawa and the Liberals said yes and the Federals said no to any kind of help. Call-ins are saying they aren't asking for a hand out they are asking for an investment, they pay taxes and just want their tax dollars back. Their rep. Jeff Waston, even worked in a factory and he isn't doing anything to help his area. If they don't get help then, its unemployment and welfare and people losing their homes is that what this Federal government is all about? The CAW isn not going to take this seating down. They are thinking seriously of going to Ottawa in masses. This may be the break the Liberals need to bring now the government and go to an election.

Listening to Windsor On radio today, the Alliance/Conservatives is very likely going to lose one of their members in the next election. I tried to find a link but isn't a big enough deal for the press. This is the problem, the Essex Ford plant was closed by Ford and people lost their jobs. The CAW went to the province and the Ottawa and the Liberals said yes and the Federals said no to any kind of help. Call-ins are saying they aren't asking for a hand out they are asking for an investment, they pay taxes and just want their tax dollars back. Their rep. Jeff Waston, even worked in a factory and he isn't doing anything to help his area. If they don't get help then, its unemployment and welfare and people losing their homes is that what this Federal government is all about? The CAW isn not going to take this seating down. They are thinking seriously of going to Ottawa in masses. This may be the break the Liberals need to bring now the government and go to an election.

The problem isn't with the conservatives, it's with Ford.

So you want Govt. to regulate, but not run, daycare? :rolleyes:

What is the $100 a month anyway, if it is not a Govt. subsidy?

Good for him/her if he can afford it. Sounds like he/she has a pretty good plan. Not to mention the money saved could be used for another contingency.

Not "Good for him". This is a perfect example of the rediculousness of the program. Someone who doesn't need daycare is recieving our tax dollars for no other reason than the fact they have a young kid. Then you have the high income earners who will likely be giving most if not all of the subsidy back to the Govt. at tax time and the boondoggle becomes even bigger. We just wasted more money processing and delivering the cheques, only to have it taxed back.

Here is a few questions for you.

For 3.7 billion dollars how many buildings could be built to house daycare centres?

How many real tangible spaces could be created?

How many daycares do you know of that will look after a child for $100 a month?

Edited by Who's Doing What?

So you want Govt. to regulate, but not run, daycare? :rolleyes:

Yes, for example establishing the qualifications of day care providers, provider/child ratios, health regulation of day care centre, etc. Day care centers should be left to the private sector to create and operate.

What is the $100 a month anyway, if it is not a Govt. subsidy?

Not "Good for him". This is a perfect example of the rediculousness of the program. Someone who doesn't need daycare is recieving our tax dollars for no other reason than the fact they have a young kid. Then you have the high income earners who will likely be giving most if not all of the subsidy back to the Govt. at tax time and the boondoggle becomes even bigger. We just wasted more money processing and delivering the cheques, only to have it taxed back.

The subsidy is expensive to administer. I'm not particularly happy about this subsidy but I can live with it.

Here is a few questions for you.

For 3.7 billion dollars how many buildings could be built to house daycare centres?

How many real tangible spaces could be created?

I don't know.

How many daycares do you know of that will look after a child for $100 a month?

Other than grandma and grandpa, none.

The problem isn't with the conservatives, it's with Ford.

True, but the company and the caw is asking for investment money to keep the company running and jobs kept. The province is putting up 30 mil and that's what the Fed's were asked and they said no. The liberals have saved jobs by doing this in the past but this gov't doesn't want to help. You think if the oil sector in the years to come, got into trouble and needed help from the Federal government and Harper was PM he'd say no?? Couldn't see him saying no to Alberta or the family oil drilling business.

True, but the company and the caw is asking for investment money to keep the company running and jobs kept.

If Ford wants investment money they should look for investors, not Canadian Taxpayers who will never see a cent return on investment. If the CAW wants to make ford morfe attractive for investors, they should negotiate lower wages.

While there may be a vested reason for Ontario to prop up the sick man, there's no good reason for Ottawa..

My advice to the workers of Essex, move to Cambridge or Aliston*

*where toyota and honda operate