Rural Subsidies

Renegade

11,yonge,17 400,60 ,35,6 .....

Hey guyser I thought you knew better than that, 17 is the only one that goes up on the east side of the park, 11 goes up the middle and 69 goes up the other side. These are the only higways that will get you into the north.

11 and yonge by the way are the same highway, 400 becomes 69, 35 ends at the park, 6 ends at Tobermorry and then you have to get a ferry.

Just where do you guys thing the North begins, well it is North Bay, the area I am talking about is just below and it is called the Near North. Surely to goodness you know where that is.

Edited by margrace

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, interesting are you people of the ilk that think the north begins at Barrie?

Even better, are you one of the people of the ilk that thinks it starts in North Bay?

Muskoka was part of Northern Ont, but the govt removed "some" of that status w respect to some funds (complicated) but Parry Sound remains as N Ont.

That also includes Tobermory.

Surely to goodness you knew this !?!

Even better, are you one of the people of the ilk that thinks it starts in North Bay?

Muskoka was part of Northern Ont, but the govt removed "some" of that status w respect to some funds (complicated) but Parry Sound remains as N Ont.

That also includes Tobermory.

Surely to goodness you knew this !?!

All very interesting but weren't we discussing the cost of highways, their accessabiltiy and why we needed to subsidize them.

All very interesting but weren't we discussing the cost of highways, their accessabiltiy and why we needed to subsidize them.

We were until you posted we didnt know where northern ontario was. But we did , and you didnt, and of course now you want us to get back on track. I see....hmm....

Anyhow, how about subsidies that northerners get when renewing licence plates ? That is one I will never understand. If the roads being built come out of general coffers, and they do for the most part, and those same coffers are filled overwhelmingly by the rest of Ontario, why would the residents of N Ont pay at least the same licence fees as the rest of us?

Perhaps I can understand a truckers licence being pro rated since they are restricted in spring from driving on many roads, but beyond that......

We were until you posted we didnt know where northern ontario was. But we did , and you didnt, and of course now you want us to get back on track. I see....hmm....

Anyhow, how about subsidies that northerners get when renewing licence plates ? That is one I will never understand. If the roads being built come out of general coffers, and they do for the most part, and those same coffers are filled overwhelmingly by the rest of Ontario, why would the residents of N Ont pay at least the same licence fees as the rest of us?

Perhaps I can understand a truckers licence being pro rated since they are restricted in spring from driving on many roads, but beyond that......

I don't license a car so I don't know about that subsidy and I don't live in the North I live in the Near North. I just wanted to know if Renegade had ever thought of the fact that from Muskoka to the North there are only 2 roads to get through on. If you go over to Ottawa there is only one. For you information 69 goes up the west side, 17 goes up the east side and highway 11 goes up the centre. I was answering his original question.

I just wanted to know if Renegade had ever thought of the fact that from Muskoka to the North there are only 2 roads to get through on. If you go over to Ottawa there is only one. For you information 69 goes up the west side, 17 goes up the east side and highway 11 goes up the centre. I was answering his original question.

I know exactly where the roads are and where they go. I kind of figured this out since I drive them virtually every single weekend from April 1 to Dec 1 , and a few betw those dates too.

I beleive you live in the North. The "near" is merely marketing to get people to drive there to spend their money.

I don't license a car so I don't know about that subsidy and I don't live in the North I live in the Near North. I just wanted to know if Renegade had ever thought of the fact that from Muskoka to the North there are only 2 roads to get through on. If you go over to Ottawa there is only one. For you information 69 goes up the west side, 17 goes up the east side and highway 11 goes up the centre. I was answering his original question.

It is difficult to know if rural roads are subsidized or not because as far as I am aware the Province doesn't show the funding for roads in a way that makes it transparent where the funding is coming from. Besides a vehicle and drivers registration, other sources of funds are gasoline taxes, and general income, sales, and other taxes.

To address your question, it is irrelevant if there are only 2 roads, 1 road, or no roads at all. If ther are only 2 roads, it makes those roads all the more valuable to the users and of course they should see the value of paying for those roads. If they are looking to fund new road development, why should non-users be required to fund roads they don't see much (if any) benefit from?

Some things are more expensive in rural areas. However, some things, namely housing, is MUCH cheaper in rural areas than urban areas. I would be happy to subsidize services like phone & mail, just as soon as those in rural areas offer to subsidize me purchasing a house. B)

Land is cheaper, not houses bin rural areas. In many cases the house costs more, but offset by cheaper land prices. (not on the water thought)

Some things are more expensive in rural areas. However, some things, namely housing, is MUCH cheaper in rural areas than urban areas. I would be happy to subsidize services like phone & mail, just as soon as those in rural areas offer to subsidize me purchasing a house. B)

A house is an capital investment not a service. Unless you do it wrong you will recoup more than you paid when you sell. Urban property values tend to rise at a greater rate than rural values so you stand to gain more even though you paid more. Not a good example.

A house is an capital investment not a service. Unless you do it wrong you will recoup more than you paid when you sell. Urban property values tend to rise at a greater rate than rural values so you stand to gain more even though you paid more. Not a good example.

Rural properties just outside the urban areas are some of the hottest properties in Ontario (the shorter the commute the better). Like any real estate investment the three keys to increasing the value is "location, location and location". In Toronto people are gobbling up large lots and splitting them in to two, building 2 new homes where one once stood. I know a guy who took a $550k house in Forest Hill and built 2 $1.5mil houses, all for a one year investment.

Rural properties just outside the urban areas are some of the hottest properties in Ontario (the shorter the commute the better).

Exactly, the closer to the city the better. If the lots are subdividable soon the density will be so high those areas will no longer be rural, they will just be another part of the city. Old houses on city lots in the west end of Vancouver are going for 1.5 million and up. The next day the bulldozers are in and a few months later there is a shiny new 3.5+ million house with a for sale sign on it, but not for long.