New Format Experiments - Awful

August1991

What gives?

White spaces between posts?

Endless lists of posts at the bottom of the screen? (We used to have a post, another post, still another post and then another page of posts. Like a book, a papryus parchment, a hieroglyph or a conversation several thousand years ago.) Greg, do you intend to reinvent species communication?

And what about the white vertical bars on screens?

----

Greg, I admire your desire to try and improve life. But as they say in South Carolina, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the change is merely cosmetic, drop it. If the change is substantial (ie. it means we can respond more easily to another post), then consider it.

This is an Internet forum. About 50 or so people regularly drop by and chat. Another 100 or so people drop by and see what's going on. This isn't rocket science. We're not sending women and men to Mars. We're chatting about Canadian politics. Keep it simple stupid.

Greg, all the changes that I've seen so far are purely cosmetic, and irritating.

Edited by August1991

Guest American Woman

I don't have any white bars between posts or lists of posts at the bottom of the screen. The new format works perfectly on my computers. Which format are you choosing-- and have you tried them both?

• Forum Admin
This is an Internet forum. About 50 or so people regularly drop by and chat. Another 100 or so people drop by and see what's going on. This isn't rocket science. We're not sending women and men to Mars. We're chatting about Canadian politics. Keep it simple stupid.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

The recent changes to the forum templates were addressing the width of the forums. No other cosmetic issues were addressed.

No one has registered a complaint about the appearance of the forums, so I assume this is an issue with your computer/browser, not the forum templates.

I've also done extensive testing in different browsers and operating systems, and see none of the issues you've described above. For a live example, see here: http://browsershots.org/http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/

I don't have any white bars between posts or lists of posts at the bottom of the screen.
Neither do I.

I routinely access the forums with all sorts of combinations of browsers (Firefox, Opera, Safari and Internet Exploiter) and operating systems (Linux, Mac9, Mac OS X and Microsoft) without a hitch.

I only get a semblance of this problem when I set my Display Mode to Outline which presents a threaded version of the posts at the bottom which appears as a recursive directory tree.

This list displays the first line of each post. Each post is displayed chronologically. With a branch, each post is clearly identified as a reply to a specific post.

What gives?
You must provide more information about what you see.

First, is your forum Display Mode set to the Standard, Outline or Linear mode?

These options are customized on an individual basis by the user. This setting is found under the Options menu in the top right corner. If you have JavaScript active in your browser, you are presented with a drop down menu. If you have turned JavaScript off, you would be sent to the bottom of the page and presented with the same three options in a horizontal menu.

I still have the white bars between posts.... using Standard format. IE 7 on Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Actually, I also have the white bars on Firefox using Windows XP Pro.

Hmmmm... I'm pretty sure they weren't there before... but perhaps August just had me looking at something I hadn't seen before.

• Forum Admin

Look at the browser screen shots on this page:

http://browsershots.org/http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/

if you are seeing anything different, then it is probably an issue with your particular browser or OS, not the actual forums.

There is a very small and insignificant horizontal white bar between each of the forums, topics, and replies. This is an issue with the forum CSS and will be fixed shortly. However, this bar is so small I can't really see it being an issue with anyone using the forum.

There is a very small and insignificant horizontal white bar between each of the forums, topics, and replies. This is an issue with the forum CSS and will be fixed shortly. However, this bar is so small I can't really see it being an issue with anyone using the forum.

That's what I'm talking about... I must just not have noticed until August pointed out a similar issue. No biggy Greg.