Running On Dad's Record

Borg

I would like to think Canadians are smart enough to see this - but in my heart I suspect they do not.

Anything to get another lib government I suppose.

More tax money for left wing policies.

Another kebecer to rescue Canada?

Borg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Justin Trudeau to outline vision for Canada's future

Liberal fundraiser a chance to draw young people into process and `refresh' party, organizer says

Dec 20, 2007 04:30 AM

Les Whittington

Ottawa Bureau

OTTAWA–Justin Trudeau, the brightest young star on the Liberal scene, will talk about his vision of Canada at a party fundraiser tonight in Toronto.

Trudeau, the son of ex-prime minister Pierre Trudeau who plunged into electoral politics in Quebec last spring, is addressing the topic: "The Way Ahead – the Liberal Party in 2008."

Bringing Trudeau to Toronto is part of the effort to generate new thinking about Liberal goals and prompt interest among young people in the political process.

"The real purpose of this is to give as many people as possible the chance to participate in the most important project the Liberal party has before it right now," said organizer Senator Jerry Grafstein. That's for the party to "renew itself and refresh itself," he said.

Trudeau, who turns 36 on Christmas Day, set off a jolt of national interest and widespread leadership speculation last spring when he won the nomination to run for the federal Liberals in the Montreal riding of Papineau.

His views on the future of Canada and the party take place against a backdrop of simmering unease with current Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion.

While any leadership bid by Trudeau is likely years away, some Liberals are already looking to him as a possible champion of the idea of a strong national government capable of bringing Canadians together.

There is a sense among some Liberals that to court votes in Quebec, the party under Stéphane Dion is not adequately defending the need to keep the federal government from devolving too much power to the provinces.

One area where questions of national values and standards have emerged is in the tense debate over fundamental Canadian rights in Quebec's public study of what constitutes "reasonable accommodation" of immigrants and religious minorities.

Condemning what he calls the politics of fear, Trudeau has stressed the importance of protecting the individual liberties guaranteed in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms brought in by his father.

Instead of "mistrust" and "division," there's a hunger for "the politics of openness and understanding" that stresses "the common values which unite us," Trudeau told CTV recently.

Tonight's event, which is a fundraiser for Trudeau's political campaign and for the Liberals, takes place from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the University Club on University Ave.

Edited by Borg

I would like to think Canadians are smart enough to see this - but in my heart I suspect they do not.

Anything to get another lib government I suppose.

More tax money for left wing policies.

Another kebecer to rescue Canada?

Borg

Interesting comment. I don't like JT much myself. I wonder though, are you saying that Canadians generaly prefer a Liberal Gov't? Why do you think that?

Must be something valuable to the majority of Canadians then.

Majority of Canadians? When was the last Federal election a majority of Canadians voted Liberal?

Your value proposition isn't even true. We've gone through swings in Government.

The era of Liberal dominance ended in 1984. Since then we have had 13 years of Liberal rule and 11 of Conservative. Pretty close to even in recent times.

Edited by Michael Bluth

I was hoping we'd hear more about Justin Trudeau. I was just saying that Canada could use another prime minister Trudeau. I can't wait till the Liberals defeat Harper. I might even vote Liberal in the next election instead of ndp. I have more trust in the NDP to end the drug war than the libs, but anything is better than the conservatives.

Majority of Canadians? When was the last Federal election a majority of Canadians voted Liberal?

Your value proposition isn't even true. We've gone through swings in Government.

The era of Liberal dominance ended in 1984. Since then we have had 13 years of Liberal rule and 11 of Conservative. Pretty close to even in recent times.

re read the exchange, then we can talk about it. I guess really you have to look at the entire period, not just the cherry picked one.

we already have another hole in the ass, and he's running the country........right into the ground, lol

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. I do disagree with some of Harpers policies, but on the other hand I also happen to think he's doing quite right in other area's.

I have to agree 100% with you on the whole weed issue. He's taking a very illogical and somewhat primitive stance on that issue. I guess it plays well with conservatively minded voters.

re read the exchange, then we can talk about it. I guess really you have to look at the entire period, not just the cherry picked one.

Which period are you referring to?

Canada has gone through three periods with respect to forming Government.

1867 to 1935 was dominated by conservative PMs. 40 years conservative to 28 years liberal.

1935 to 1984 was dominated by liberal PMs. 7 years conservative to 41 years liberal.

1984 to 2007 has been pretty evenly split. 11 years conservative to 13 years liberal with a conservative incumbent.

Since Confederation we have had a conservative PM for 45% of the time and a liberal PM for 55% of the time.

Generally prefer a liberal government? I guess. 11 times out of 20 is a slight preference but not a great one.

The past 25 years is a pretty good time period to look at for recent history. Is it not?

Interesting comment. I don't like JT much myself. I wonder though, are you saying that Canadians generaly prefer a Liberal Gov't? Why do you think that?

Go away for a couple of hours and the comments flow in.

I am not in favour of libs as government. I am not always happy with the cons, but usually they do as they say they will. I am hard pressed to not approve of that single item.

As for JT - he is simply riding Dad's coattails. Personally, I do not believe he is as in tune to what canada needs - however I do believe the mystique of pierre will carry him. After all generations of social engineering has led many canuckleheads to believe they live in a country that owes THEM a living.

Borg

Go away for a couple of hours and the comments flow in.

I am not in favour of libs as government. I am not always happy with the cons, but usually they do as they say they will. I am hard pressed to not approve of that single item.

As for JT - he is simply riding Dad's coattails. Personally, I do not believe he is as in tune to what canada needs - however I do believe the mystique of pierre will carry him. After all generations of social engineering has led many canuckleheads to believe they live in a country that owes THEM a living.

Borg

Borg is a traitor with a big bank account.

Borg is a traitor with a big bank account.

Well, you of all people???? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just because I am who I am - should I be ashamed?

Hardly.

I believe you to be nothing more than a person who wants to live off the backs of those who work - and are perhaps quite proud of their accomplishments.

My bank account is not as big as I would like, but I do indeed maintain a work ethic that is one of - "never ask someone to do something you would not do yourself."

Perhaps that is why people who work with me have been here as long as they have.

So - what is a traitor? How do you know? Have you ever served your country? Have you ever done things for others that put you at risk? Have you ever been somewhere and asked yourself - "If I do this I might not make it home?"

I have and am quite happy to say that I am a person who stands up to be counted.

Have you ever been counted? Or perhaps you would like to sit on the side lines and let others support you?

Seems to me that you have stated in the past that you are in this situation now. Your own kid(s) - according to you - have acknowlegded this and have moved on.

I may not be perfect, but when I look in the mirror, the person looking back is ok - and when he is not ok, I darned well do something to fix it.

So attack all you want - I will sleep very well at night knowing those who matter to me - friends and family - will come to my assistance if I ever need it. And in return they know I will do the same.

I am also very, very rich with friends and family - to me that is more important then money - and the money I have also does many good things.

Wanna' tell us a bit more about yourself?

Borg