Paying our athletes?

Topaz

A couple of points. First,your national pride is showing through when you're concerned about the cost of paying metal winners.

I guess you assume they will win lots of metals to be worried about the cost.

What if they don't win any? What's the cost then?

Second point,teams like the men's hockey teams made up of professional players are always in the metals.You know the guys who are paid millions.

Should they be denied the winnings?

Maybe they could give their metal money to their favourite charities.

The earning of metals at the Olympics by an athletes is not a given, and to earn $20,000 for a win is an added reward,I say good.

This win has taken the athletes at least four years to prepare for this event and $20,000 amounts to pittance.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of points. First,your national pride is showing through when you're concerned about the cost of paying metal winners.

I guess you assume they will win lots of metals to be worried about the cost.

What if they don't win any? What's the cost then?

Second point,teams like the men's hockey teams made up of professional players are always in the metals.You know the guys who are paid millions.

Should they be denied the winnings?

Maybe they could give their metal money to their favourite charities.

The earning of metals at the Olympics by an athletes is not a given, and to earn $20,000 for a win is an added reward,I say good.

This win has taken the athletes at least four years to prepare for this event and $20,000 amounts to pittance.

It's not about winning the metals but supporting people with dreams. Athletes are perfomance artists in reality. Not much different than composers - dancers and musicans. Not all compostions will be the very best in the world..but maybe more would with respectful funding. .....and saying an athlete spends four years to prepare- is off the mark. They dedicate a life time to the moment they compete. Too give support for four years to a person who was unpaid for the first 20 is a good deal for government.

You have professional entertainers called hockey players who make millions...only because their effort is supported privately and because it is a buisness. Olympic athelete do not endure and perform for the money - they are not driven by greed - but by achievement. It's not just the metal winners that should be paid..but all capable ones giving their all. If you want to say support troops that represent Canada abroad..then support this tiny community of deeply focused and driven individuals..send the kids a check for god's sake...like I said... it does not matter if they are heroic and the country gets and ego boost out of "winning" - it is the brave effort put forth and the spectacle of that effort that should lift the hearts of Canadians..does not matter if they come in first or fourth. What matter is that they put up a good fight...I am sure in the less civilized China..you don't have their competators in training begging at the food bank. They take care of their own- and seems we resent those that take the path less traveled.

How many kids would like a brand new Mercedes-Benz but can't afford it? We should buy one for anyone who wants one. No one should be denied the chance to own a new Mercedes-Benz.

How many kids are prepared to do what it takes to earn a Mercedes Benz? They don't give Olympic medals to anyone who wants one.

So national pride is the reason you think we should be paying medal winners? Well, I don't see how, for example, flying down a hill in a sled a fraction of a second faster than someone else instills national pride, but maybe that's just me... Personally, I take more national pride in the fact that Canada does a relatively good job of taking care of the poor. I take national pride in our education and healthcare systems. I'm sure many other people agree with me. So if helping the poor instills national pride, shouldn't we fund that instead?

You may not see it, but it does. Canada has a great reputation for producing eighth place finishers. Australia has a reputation for producing winners. That perception goes beyond sports.

I think paying atheletes will diminish their incentive to sell shampoo.....

You might have something there. If you pay them now - they may get lazy and not win and then - there would be no endorsements to do for the big bubble bucks --- great...just like some elite types believe that a good and great artist will be spoiled if he or she has a patron and not come up with the great work that comes from suffering and starvation....which makes me wonder...- How come the sudden humor....I like that - this is the first laugh I have had since I got here.

These people wear our colours and represent our country. Why shouldn't we reward them when they are successful? I don't think there are many Canadians who would deny that they feel at least a little pride when a Canadian stands on the podium. Why should it be un Canadian to reward excellence instead of always catering to the lowest common denominator.

These people wear our colours and represent our country. Why shouldn't we reward them when they are successful? I don't think there are many Canadians who would deny that they feel at least a little pride when a Canadian stands on the podium. Why should it be un Canadian to reward excellence instead of always catering to the lowest common denominator.

Probably a better return on investment to reward the pharmaceutical companies.....

I think paying atheletes will diminish their incentive to sell shampoo.....

The problem is that they don't get to sell the shampoo until they have won. So I think it is a good idea to have athletic sponsorship programs and also paying what really amounts to small amounts for each medal.

These people really do give up alot in order to train and prepare for the Olympics and a chance to represent their countries in a positive way.

Will it breed more cheaters? I don't think so, the endorsements that athletes can receive after winning are far more lucrative in many cases than these amounts offered by the government. I would say that if an athlete was going to cheat they would regardless of this new offer.

Will it breed more cheaters? I don't think so, the endorsements that athletes can receive after winning are far more lucrative in many cases than these amounts offered by the government. I would say that if an athlete was going to cheat they would regardless of this new offer.

Which makes the idea of the gov't paying winners redundant. They are professional athletes, let them finance their investment and let them earn their rewards, just like every other Canadian.

Well no, they aren't, they are almost entirely amateurs who work a real job and train at the same time. That is why private companies and governments subsidize them becuase they have to cut down on work in order to do so.

The pros are there for the dream team sports, basketball and hockey. Also, you have to win gold to get endorsements, that doesn't account for the hundreds of others who have given their all.

Edited by jawapunk

Well said Wilber, Most Atheletes are sponsored by the corporate world, They are after all representing Canada and our flag why not invest in thier future. We as tax payers have invested in alot worse. how much of our tax dollars have just our politions wasted....this is not about just money but selling our nation, our pride, who we are as Canadians to the world. Or are we just a bunch of cheap bastards.

Well said Wilber, Most Atheletes are sponsored by the corporate world, They are after all representing Canada and our flag why not invest in thier future. We as tax payers have invested in alot worse. how much of our tax dollars have just our politions wasted....this is not about just money but selling our nation, our pride, who we are as Canadians to the world. Or are we just a bunch of cheap bastards.

Let our brothers and sisters shine.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this one. Apparently, the US, Australia,England, France, and Spain do pay their people. Canada will pay 20,000 for gold, 15,000 for silver and 10,000 for Bronze. Do you think this may lead to more people doping themselves to win?

I think they should definatly be paid,

However, our private sector should be paying for this. RBC, Petro Canada come to mind. Let them adverstise and pay these people.

These are our tax dollars and we were never consulted or asked that our money go into other peoples pockets like this. Especially hockey players and snow boarders and other people who have no business collecting my tax dollars.

So how many kids do you have who would like a try at the olympics, can you afford it. I know, for instance, that the Lees had to mortgage their home to get their girls anywhere near the olympics. Lots of kids never get the chance because it is too expensive. We can feed our poor and support our athletes

Why should I, the tax payer, fund their special interest?

It is no ones God given right to go to the olympics.

However, our private sector should be paying for this. RBC, Petro Canada come to mind. Let them adverstise and pay these people.

These are our tax dollars and we were never consulted or asked that our money go into other peoples pockets like this. Especially hockey players and snow boarders and other people who have no business collecting my tax dollars.

Let the kind corporations pay :blink: .....but rich people are cheap - just like poor people.

Send your own money to them then. But do you have the right to reach into my wallet and send my money to them too?

There is something truly disturbing about the way people feel noble in spending other people's money on someone else.

I completley agree. And these descisions are not made by the actual private tax payer.

Also, why not just let RBC put their logo on their uniform and pay them a bonus if they win a medal. Like just let some bank or oil company fund them.

But reaching into my little pocket as a private tax payer to put in someone elses pocket who wants to persue an interest of theirs?

That hurts me as a citizen that our own gov't would do this to us.

I think we should pay them . Of course they would rather be Italian should they win, the Italians pay $180,000CDN for a gold medal. Not bad.

These people, for the most part are wonderful role models for our children. Better than Halo, better than the NFL, NBA or MLB .

Or we can continue to raise fat lazy kids . Participaction did wonders for the kids yet it was cancelled and we saw the youth get fatter.

We are talking a pittance here folks. Yes I know all about waste in govt. But to me this does not equate. We are talking a few hundred thousand if that.

And no it is not your wallet we are reaching into, how silly. It comes from the Oly Committe , and if it were all funded by govt, it comes from a gen'l account.

As I understand it, this isn't government money, it's private money from the Olympic Foundation?

I don't understand the uproar here, it amounts to 0.00001 cents from each tax payer in all probability.(Didn't actually do the math :) ) I have no problems helping people reach their dreams and watching them do it.

Great. Please send me $20,000. I have a dream....