Conservativism is not a choice!

Guest coot

You can't stand the fact that your interpretations were completely wrong, so you label my rational elucidations "dodging and weaving?" Wow. Your intellectual dishonesty and inability to truly discuss the issue are amazing, though I'm not sure they are representative of your overall political philosophy.

I made no generalizations. I said it takes all kinds. I said there is a vast range of different responses to different stimuli, and that makes for a wide political spectrum, which I defined by its extremes. Because, for lack of reading skills, you misunderstood, you got all huffy. It's kind of funny debating with people who are more emotional than rational, but ultimately kind of tiresome.

You are insinuating very very broad rationalizations.

You insinuated that a left winger is more compassionate than a right winger and have provided NO PROOF to back up this claim and in fact I would say the exact opposite.

Here is one that doesn't fit in with your 'theories' that you like to insinuate yet don't have the courage to stand behind.

Woman tend to be more left wing then men. Women also tend to be harsher law and order types. (lock them up and throw away the key).

So what would your bigotry deduce here Coot? Woman are more or less compassionate than men?

You know what tiring is? Seeing the same old tired cliche's being parroted around here by young, idealistic left wingers who believe this stuff because they were told it is that way. That's it. No individual thinking on the issues - just PC GroupThink.

Not good enough for me and others who do not subscribe to Groupthink. You want to make these illogical and uneducated statements - be prepared to back them up or look the fool.

Your choice.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, I didn't say that left-wingers are more compassionate. You would do poorly on an LSAT because you misinterpret what you read and extrapolate incorrectly.

You didn't have to type it for me to see that's EXACTLY what you think and that's EXACTLY what you were insinuating.

Feel free to keep backpedaling.

Hopefully you learn from this exercise.

Somehow I doubt it.

I haven’t learned much, but some of my pre-existing conceptions have been reinforced, such as how many conservatives will stubbornly hold to a principle even after being proven wrong and having all evidence point to the contrary. You don’t have a clue EXACTLY what I think, because your reading skills are too rudimentary to even comprehend what I state explicitly. You overlook more than one posting on this board that imply (or clearly state) that left-leaning people are stupid, immature, and “warped,” and dwell on your own misinterpretation of what I said and your defensive reaction to any potential slight to right-leaning people. Why the selective sensitivity to generalizations and bigotry (real or imagined)?

It's funny though how you label clarification as backpedalling, but it's kind of a pathetic debating technique. Perhaps you can learn from this too---about your own obvious biases, prejudices, and stubborn obtuse nature.

And maybe (with reference to the poll) you can develop a better appreciation for art.

Edited by coot

You can't stand the fact that your interpretations were completely wrong, so you label my rational elucidations "dodging and weaving?" Wow. Your intellectual dishonesty and inability to truly discuss the issue are amazing, though I'm not sure they are representative of your overall political philosophy.

I made no generalizations. I said it takes all kinds. I said there is a vast range of different responses to different stimuli, and that makes for a wide political spectrum, which I defined by its extremes. Because, for lack of reading skills, you misunderstood, you got all huffy. It's kind of funny debating with people who are more emotional than rational, but ultimately kind of tiresome.

Typical leftist response. Is it genealogical?

According to a recent Zogby poll, liberals and conservatives aren't just different politically--they're pretty much different in every respect. Apart from a mutual enjoyment of the TV show House, there's not much else they have in common.

I always suspected as much. I think it has more to do with how your brain is wired than how your life experience has shaped your views.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/6843.html

What about people like me that are far left on most issues but a bit towards center on others?

...To be clear, this survey verifies to me my pre-existing belief that political persuasion is derived from the same stuff that determines your appreciation for music, your taste in food, your overall intelligence, and your sexuality.

The survey has no statistical relevance for unsampled populations (i.e. Canada, Namibia, or Thailand). That it confirms your self admitted bias/belief system is hardly a surprise.

According to coot it is cerebral, such as a brain dysfunction. A frontal lobotomy may do the trick.

There will be a screening program developed shortly, most certainly, after which frontal lobotomies may be legislated. Entirely a genetic abnormality unfortunately, but entirely within the capability of scientific remedy.

What about people like me that are far left on most issues but a bit towards center on others?

I don't think it takes into account people who claim to be far-left but whose beliefs are actually far-right.

The survey has no statistical relevance for unsampled populations (i.e. Canada, Namibia, or Thailand). That it confirms your self admitted bias/belief system is hardly a surprise.

I understand that you perceive U.S. citizens as being very special, but people are people.

Edited by coot

I understand that you perceive U.S. citizens as being very special, but people are people.

Would you draw the same conclusions concerning surveys about guns....or abortion....or capital punishment? I think not. It is amazing to find a nation with some individuals so quick to make much of differences between Canada and America, only to find repeated embrace of all things Yankee....from media to health care to domestic security.

Is it just the cold, boring time of the year? Or what?

A Canadian conservative is no different than an American one; a Canadian liberal is just the same as a U.S. liberal. There are just more conservatives per-capita in the U.S., so your surveys on abortion and capital punishment would show different results in terms of the wider population.

But Canadian conservatives are just as inclined as U.S. conservatives to want to give the state the power to kill its citizens and interfere with women's autonomy over their bodies.

A Canadian conservative is no different than an American one; a Canadian liberal is just the same as a U.S. liberal. There are just more conservatives per-capita in the U.S., so your surveys on abortion and capital punishment would show different results in terms of the wider population....

No, a typical Canadian conservative (e.g. CPC member) would not pass muster as a conservative in the USA. The American brand of conservatism, while having some range in positions, is decidedly more to the right on most issues.

There is no shortage of domestic political analysis in Canada, complete with surveys. Even more telling is the additional association made to American media. Mexico doesn't have this kind of political neurosis vis-a-vis Yankees.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

No, a typical Canadian conservative (e.g. CPC member) would not pass muster as a conservative in the USA. The American brand of conservatism, while having some range in positions, is decidedly more to the right on most issues.

Sure, the far-right element may not be as dominant in Canada as it is in the U.S., but the range of the political spectrum is the same. We have wingnuts that are equally wingy to your wingiest wingnuts.

What's House?

Tuesday nights 9pm pst. I forget what channel.

It's show about an asshole doctor. He is an asshole who does everthing wrong but somehow it comes out right (he cures the patient). He is a prick to everyone. This TV character would vote right wing LOL.

Hey all of you Dr. House fans out there -- Hugh Laurie is gay and he's British. I doubt if Hugh Laurie, the person would be anything but a flaming lefty!

:lol:

edited to add: what an amazing actor Hugh Laurie is! He pulls it off -- a gay man with a british accent in a role where he is an American (no discernable accent) and a real right wing jerk.

He should win awards for the role as it is so far removed from his actual self it's amazing that he can pull it off episode after episode.

Edited by Drea

Tuesday nights 9pm pst. I forget what channel.

It's show about an asshole doctor. He is an asshole who does everthing wrong but somehow it comes out right (he cures the patient). He is a prick to everyone. This TV character would vote right wing LOL.

I see your depth of understanding of religion is rivalled only by your understanding of conservatism.