Rice admits U.S. handling of Arar case 'imperfect'

The U.S. government admitted on Wednesday for the first time that the 2002 deportation of Syrian-born Canadian Maher Arar to a Syrian jail was not handled properly.

"Our communication with the Canadian government on this [case] was by no means perfect; it was in fact quite imperfect," U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said in Washington.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/10/24/rice-arar.html

Take your meds Bush_Cheney2004. Looks like your government is <gasp> admitting a mistake.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/10/24/rice-arar.html

Looks like your government is <gasp> admitting a mistake.

Would you say the only good Tory is a suppository? heh

I don't think this was unexpected after several Congressmen including Republicans expressed doubts after seeing the Intel on Arar.

With the movie Rendition in the theatres and people expressing concerns about being snatched up and sent someplace for torture, it is difficult to reconcile Arar's case with the evidence the Congressmen saw this week.

Take your meds Bush_Cheney2004. Looks like your government is <gasp> admitting a mistake.

I don't think diplomacy should be confused with any formal admission of wrongdoing. Do you only take Ms. Rice seriously when she says what you want to hear?

As for taking "meds"....I have no experience with such things.....but apparently you do.

Would you say the only good Tory is a suppository? heh

I don't think this was unexpected after several Congressmen including Republicans expressed doubts after seeing the Intel on Arar.

With the movie Rendition in the theatres and people expressing concerns about being snatched up and sent someplace for torture, it is difficult to reconcile Arar's case with the evidence the Congressmen saw this week.

LOL. Suppository. Hah ha. Good one.

Imperfect? Not good enough, Condi. Get a grip.

I don't think diplomacy should be confused with any formal admission of wrongdoing. Do you only take Ms. Rice seriously when she says what you want to hear?

As for taking "meds"....I have no experience with such things.....but apparently you do.

On the contrary, I take Rice seriously all the time even when I think she is lying. She's a powerful person and can do damage. And when she says that the action is imperfect and the USA will try to do better in the future, damn right it is admission of wrong doing.

As for me taking meds ... "apparently" I do? By that post? Yeah, yeah. It's pretty transparent where that's coming from.

Guest American Woman
Have you ever notice that the Bush gang will come out and apologize and say they were wrong after the world already knows it and they have gotten what they wanted for whatever they did?

They didn't apologize though.

Guest American Woman
Very true.

I found her admission to be carefully crafted , as it should be at this time.

I doubt very much that an apology is forthcoming. Frankly I see no reason why if they relied only on our intelligence.

I have to say, I agree with everything you said.

Very true.

I found her admission to be carefully crafted , as it should be at this time.

I doubt very much that an apology is forthcoming. Frankly I see no reason why if they relied only on our intelligence.

If they relied on our intelligence, for which our government has issued the appropriate mea culpas - including one from the PM in the House, then they should take Arar off the no-fly list. This is not the issue. They just do not want to admit in front of the world that what they are doing by shipping people off to be tortured by somebody else is wrong. After Wolfowitz, Bush and Cheney, Rice is my favourite idiot. John Walters is after Rice.

Guest American Woman
If they relied on our intelligence, for which our government has issued the appropriate mea culpas - including one from the PM in the House, then they should take Arar off the no-fly list. This is not the issue. They just do not want to admit in front of the world that what they are doing by shipping people off to be tortured by somebody else is wrong. After Wolfowitz, Bush and Cheney, Rice is my favourite idiot. John Walters is after Rice.

But, but ... your ambassador to Syria said Canada had no reaon to believe Arar was being tortured. Nice to know that our idiots mean more to you than your idiots do, though. :rolleyes:

Canada most definitely was not squeaky clean in this mess, including, apparently, caring more about the information gathered than the interrogation. <_<

I noticed I got virtually no comments on Canada's role in the Arar situation. I guess the ten million erases your part in it. Is that it? If we pay off the Iraqis before we leave, will that make us squeaky clean in your mind too? Would you suddenly respect Bush, Cheney, et al?

Edited by American Woman

Sorry higgly .

They can stand behind the info we gave them , rightly or wrongly as it were. There is nothing that says they have to make changes. It is their no fly list , and it is their decision whether to amend it or not.

Your reasons may be valid. But in the end, what of it? All that really matters to me is that there is an acknowledgement an error ocurred . Beyond that, not much one can do.

Guest American Woman

I have to wonder what difference it would make if the U.S. took him off our no-fly list or not. Surely he wouldn't want to come here after what happened, would he?

I have to wonder what difference it would make if the U.S. took him off our no-fly list or not. Surely he wouldn't want to come here after what happened, would he?

Ringling Brothers are in MSG soon and the Nutcracker and Rockettes are worth the price of admission...oh maybe not that price.

Could be for business reasons. He was down there for some time prior to all his troubles.

He was invited by Congress to speak and couldn't go because of the no-fly list. Given the previous visit, he probably didn't want to end up in Syria again.

Which gets us back to the US vetting overflights. What if he as business in Asia or South America? Will he have to go via Europe to stay out of US airspace?

But, but ... your ambassador to Syria said Canada had no reaon to believe Arar was being tortured. Nice to know that our idiots mean more to you than your idiots do, though. :rolleyes:

Canada most definitely was not squeaky clean in this mess, including, apparently, caring more about the information gathered than the interrogation. <_<

I noticed I got virtually no comments on Canada's role in the Arar situation. I guess the ten million erases your part in it. Is that it? If we pay off the Iraqis before we leave, will that make us squeaky clean in your mind too? Would you suddenly respect Bush, Cheney, et al?

The Canadian Prime Minister apologized in the House of Commons and Arar is being paid compensation. Our idiots recognized when they've screwed up and make amends. Your idiots on the other hand...

Sorry higgly .

They can stand behind the info we gave them , rightly or wrongly as it were. There is nothing that says they have to make changes. It is their no fly list , and it is their decision whether to amend it or not.

Your reasons may be valid. But in the end, what of it? All that really matters to me is that there is an acknowledgement an error ocurred . Beyond that, not much one can do.

The acknowledgement is bupkis if he is still being kept on the no-fly list. If he was tortured in Syria as a result of faulty information coming from Canada, and if Canada has admitted the information was wrong, then anything that proceeds from that is fruit of the poison tree. The man was asked to testify before Congress and couldn't go because he is on the no-fly list. The situation is ridiculous. Just another of many, many incidents that bring discredit on the US.

The Canadian Prime Minister apologized in the House of Commons and Arar is being paid compensation. Our idiots recognized when they've screwed up and make amends. Your idiots on the other hand...

Canadian government are idiots for paying out that kind of money without established proof.

IMO the most they should have offered Arar is 'a cash for life job' as a junior computer consultant in the federal government.

Yes...he wants more than $10 million CDN and 15 minutes of fame. I for one don't believe he was "tortured" at all.....prison conditions in Syria do not constitute torture.

Secretary Rice simply stated that communications with Canada were imperfect, which could clearly be a reference to the bungling RCMP. No apology can be gleaned from this, and Mr. Arar stays on the list...and AW has indicated, why the hell would he want to come back to the USA.

Ban him for life....just because America has the sovereign right to do so.

The acknowledgement is bupkis if he is still being kept on the no-fly list. If he was tortured in Syria as a result of faulty information coming from Canada, and if Canada has admitted the information was wrong, then anything that proceeds from that is fruit of the poison tree. The man was asked to testify before Congress and couldn't go because he is on the no-fly list. The situation is ridiculous. Just another of many, many incidents that bring discredit on the US.

He was tortured , the CDN govt knows that , and I suspect that because of what they know they paid him off. Nothing else makes sense.'

But so what if is bupkis? He is on a no fly list, along with many hundreds of others that should not be on there. Ted Kennedy is on the list...oh wait a sec, maybe he should be.

Anyhow, the poison fruit works in law, and this is not a court room. The US has soverignty and can add and delete as they see fit.

The fact that Congress invited him and he cant go is what gives this legs. It shows what politics is all about. Apart from that , their border , their call.

There are numerous people who cannot get in the states for dumb minor indiscretions that ocurred many decades ago. All signs suggest that one has re-habbed from the one joint bust in 1972 , but they still cant get in.

...The fact that Congress invited him and he cant go is what gives this legs. It shows what politics is all about. Apart from that , their border , their call.

Agreed....Arar is just a pawn in domestic American politics...they don't give a damn what happens to him after that.

There are numerous people who cannot get in the states for dumb minor indiscretions that ocurred many decades ago. All signs suggest that one has re-habbed from the one joint bust in 1972 , but they still cant get in.

Yup...where do people get the cockeyed idea that they have the right to enter the US (or Canada)? Record or no record. At least the illegals know they are breaking the law!

Arar is trying to pursue a lawsuit against the US government; I believe his demands include financial compensation. It is not clear whether this lawsuit will be allowed to go forward.

If Arar is removed from the US no-fly list and the US government offers a public apology, the US government would de facto be admitting to its culpability in the harm he suffered in Syria. The US would then have no choice but to pay him compensation. Given the US government is the defendant, any damages would far exceed the 10 million dollars he got from Canadian taxpayers.

This may explain why an official apology will not be extended and his name wil be kept on the no-fly list. Rice's pronouncements would no doubt be used as ammunition in favour of Arar's suit against the US government.