Gore and U.N. Panel Win Peace Prize for Climate Work

jbg

Guest American Woman
BTW...it was 200,000 POUNDs, not american pesos

You don't say. Perhaps that explains why I posted this -- The judge awarded Mr Dimmock two-thirds of his estimated legal costs of more than £200,000, against the government -- eh? :rolleyes:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't say. Perhaps that explains why I posted this -- The judge awarded Mr Dimmock two-thirds of his estimated legal costs of more than ?200,000, against the government -- eh? :rolleyes:

For me to know why you used a question mark rather than the obvious £, I would have to be psychic....but then again, in that post you also use the $ symbol.

I can see now that was a big mistake. Seems to me I remember reading that this man received $200,000 from the court in court costs.

Global warming is real. Temperature measurements, satelite and ground prove it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Satelli...emperatures.png

The question is not whether the global temperature is increasing, it is. The question is how much our release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere is influencing that increase. In other words, is the increase part of the natural warming/cooling cycle of the earth, or is it due to human made greenhouse gas emissions.

I can guarantee you that if the environment ever becomes a political issue in the US election the spinmeisters will be twisting facts to "prove" the data are fallacious or any temperature increases are temporary. At the end of it the public will be so confused...

Look at my quote from George Will above.

Edited by maldon_road

I'm glad I hadn't eaten yet when my wife delivered this "news". I cannot for the life of me fathom Al Gore winning a Nobel Peace Prize, certainly not for "Convenient Falsehoods" </ sarcasm>. Political correctness has sunk to new lows. Well, maybe not. Jimmy Carter and Yasir Arafat also garnered Peace Prizes.

They gave one to Kissinger too, but I'm not you omitted that, what with you being such an ardent lefty and all...

Guest American Woman
For me to know why you used a question mark rather than the obvious £, I would have to be psychic....but then again, in that post you also use the $ symbol.

I have no clue as to what you are talking about. I c&p'd the quote from the article I linked to, including "the obvious pound sign." If your browser/computer can't pick that up, that's not my problem. But here's a tip. Perhaps if you took the time to check out my link, I wouldn't have to waste my time on nonsense like this. :rolleyes:

I have no clue as to what you are talking about. I c&p'd the quote from the article I linked to, including "the obvious pound sign." If your browser/computer can't pick that up, that's not my problem. But here's a tip. Perhaps if you took the time to check out my link, I wouldn't have to waste my time on nonsense like this. :rolleyes:

Sure you did....

Guest American Woman
Sure you did....

I don't know what your problem is, but when I look at my post I see the pound sign. When I look at your quote of my post, I see a question mark. Now either your browser can't pick up the pound sign from my post, or you deliberately changed it to a question mark when quoting me, making you as dishonest as you are annoying. <_<

Edited by American Woman

I don't know what your problem is, but when I look at my post I see the pound sign. When I look at your quote of my post, I see a question mark. Now either your browser can't pick up the pound sign from my post, or you deliberately changed it to a question mark when quoting me, making you as dishonest as you are annoying. <_<

If you can't explain it, blame global warming.

No surprise here. After being crowned by the Nobel Committee he is now an Ambassador for the Environment. If he tossed his hat into the Presidential ring he would be just another of the couple of dozen midgets running for the job. And whenever his movie was shown on TV the other candidates would demand equal time. :rolleyes:

Gore: No plans to run

OSLO – Former U.S. vice-president Al Gore says he has no plans to join the presidential race despite encouragement from thousands of supporters since he won the Nobel Peace Prize for campaigning against climate change.

Gore, who won the popular vote against George W. Bush in the 2000 election, but lost the key electoral college vote after Supreme Court intervention, said it was a “great honour†to win the award. Gore will share the $1.5-million prize with the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

“I don’t have plans to be a candidate again so I don’t really see it in that context at all,†Gore said when asked in an interview with Norway’s NRK public television about how the award would affect his political future.

An organization called www.draftgore.com said more than 200,000 people had signed a petition to urge Gore to run, with a jump of 70,000 signatures in four days after the prize.

http://digital.montrealgazette.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Global warming is real. Temperature measurements, satelite and ground prove it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Satelli...emperatures.png

The question is not whether the global temperature is increasing, it is. The question is how much our release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere is influencing that increase. In other words, is the increase part of the natural warming/cooling cycle of the earth, or is it due to human made greenhouse gas emissions.

I very recently showed YOU in another thread.That there has been NO warming trend since 1998.

I even posted the OFFICIAL temperature data of various research centeres and the links to them.You come up with a link to Wikipedia.The chart at Wikipedia shows the point that since 1998 there has been NO warming trend.It has flattened out.

Shame on you.I even posted a link that had ALL the major groups such as Hadley centre,RSS,MSU,and more in ONE link where you can compare their data.Shame on you.

This despite the continued stepped CO2 increase in the atmosphere.

Edited by sunsettommy

They gave one to Kissinger too, but I'm not you omitted that, what with you being such an ardent lefty and all...

Maybe he did not deserve it EITHER.But he was closer to fulfilling the stated desires of Alfred Nobel when he set up in his will a PEACE prize and the declaration that the recipient of the prize are those who promoted peace.

Al Gore never promoted Peace.He is a self promoter of a designed scaremongering outfit that nets him MILLIONS.A proven liar and a consistent hypocrite to boot.

The use of his whopping doomsday pronouncements seems to pass so easily.A sign of a world of suckers ready to be swooned while the evidence has been coming in for months that there has been NO warming trend since 1998.

Climate change causes civil unrest which causes war.

Dealing with climate change allows us to at least be ready for change and to limit upheaval before it happens. That not only promtes peace, it's the best way to promote peace.

I can guarantee you that if the environment ever becomes a political issue in the US election the spinmeisters will be twisting facts to "prove" the data are fallacious or any temperature increases are temporary. At the end of it the public will be so confused...

Look at my quote from George Will above.

Who are these spinmeisters?

The public over the summer are getting it more and more now.They are losing interest after being LIED to so many times.It is really easy to point them out.

Then if YOU have been paying attention.There has been expose's of poor statistical analysis (James Hansen) and that many temperature reporting stations do not even come close to meeting minimum standards ( Anthony Watts ).

Dealing with climate change allows us to at least be ready for change and to limit upheaval before it happens. That not only promtes peace, it's the best way to promote peace.

Do you actually read history?

Then the usual misuse of the phrase climate change as if this is a recent phenomenon that once did not exist.Do you realize that climate is NEVER static?

I suggest that you reconsider your statement in light of past history.

Who are these spinmeisters?

The public over the summer are getting it more and more now.They are losing interest after being LIED to so many times.It is really easy to point them out.

Then if YOU have been paying attention.There has been expose's of poor statistical analysis (James Hansen) and that many temperature reporting stations do not even come close to meeting minimum standards ( Anthony Watts ).

As an example, George Will, whom I quoted above and no doubt countless other right wing writers who would get involved in the event that global warming were likely to become a significant issue in the US elections.

Don't overestimate the intelligence of the American people to understand things - remember, they voted for George Bush twice.

Then the usual misuse of the phrase climate change as if this is a recent phenomenon that once did not exist.Do you realize that climate is NEVER static?

Climate change in the common present-day vernacular refers to sudden, severe climate events, like the impending shift of the jetstream, turning currently arable land into desert or ice.

It's true that climate change has happened in history. It is also true that it has led to war. Don't you read history? http://www.scidev.net/News/index.cfm?fusea...&language=1

Edited by coot

Climate change in the common present-day vernacular refers to sudden, severe climate events, like the impending shift of the jetstream, turning currently arable land into desert or ice.

It's true that climate change has happened in history. It is also true that it has led to war. Don't you read history? http://www.scidev.net/News/index.cfm?fusea...&language=1

You have a valid point Coot, in the former Africa wars are often fought for land masses that aren't suffering from droughts. I read a recent article on this issue, a small Africian country suffered drought for many years, now that it's ended the fighting has stopped and they are producing (with government seed and fertilizer much to the chagrin of the Aid Agencies) enough food to sustain the populace and a little extra to sell to a neighbouring country. The weather does indeed lead to wars, lack of rain to much rain etc can have bloody results.

As an example, George Will, whom I quoted above and no doubt countless other right wing writers who would get involved in the event that global warming were likely to become a significant issue in the US elections.

Don't overestimate the intelligence of the American people to understand things - remember, they voted for George Bush twice.

George will is not much of a spinmeister.You must be getting desperate when you bring up a weak strawman.Your childish attack of American voters is noted.A common liberal attitude.

I noticed that you were silent on the below quote.It is just a small sampling of revelations and expose's that has happened during the last year.

Hey, you Bush haters need to keep your stories straight. Let me remind you, Gore WON the first election and Kerry won the second Bush mandate. Now go home and try to work up more bitterness. :lol:

sunsettommy @ Oct 18 2007, 05:43 PM)

Coot:

What you described has been true for MILLIONS of years.The Jetstream shifts on a regular basis.Daily,weekly,monthy and yearly cycles are known.Do you have a link to the exhaustive Jetstream page? I have it and I see that Jet streams NORMALLY moves around.You seem to say they are in a fixed place.

LOLOLOLOL!!!

coot @ Oct 18 2007, 03:36 PM)

Sunsettommy:

Do you actually read history?

I suggest that you reconsider your statement in light of past history.

You flatly state that climate change causes civil unrest.You also make it clear to stop it is deal with climate change.You leave no room for the many wars that had nothing to do with the climate at all!

That is why I asked that you reconsider your statement.

From your link:

Although Zhang did not analyse any warming periods, he believes extreme climate events ― both cold and hot ― could have a disastrous effect on the earth's ecosystem.

Not much of a study when NO analysis of any warming periods is included. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile,

Why did the Spanish Armarda of 1588 happen?

Why did William of Normandy invade and defeat the newly crowned English King at the battle of Hastings in 1066 AD?

Why did Adolf Hitler keep expanding his empire to the point of risking war in 1939?

Why did Adolf Hitler attack USSR in June 22 1941?

Why did the American independance revolution occurred in the 1770' and 1780's?

Why did the French revolution develop?

Why did during the long 72 year rule the king of France wage numerous wars against most of Europe?

Why did the Muslim King Salaudin attack and take Jerusalem?

The American Civil war?

You see where I am going here?

Edited by sunsettommy

George will is not much of a spinmeister.You must be getting desperate when you bring up a weak strawman.Your childish attack of American voters is noted.A common liberal attitude.

I noticed that you were silent on the below quote.It is just a small sampling of revelations and expose's that has happened during the last year.

Well, with Gore out of the race the environment is not going to be a key issue. The candidates will continue to concentrate on matters like immigration and Iraq.

As for statistics, that won't prove anything. Politicians are past masters at using only figures to support their policies resulting more often than not in public confusion.

Only the public can make global warming a big issue - when sufficient of them believe there is an immediate crisis and pester the politicians to do something about it. This yet might come about. There are still the UN sponsored "son-of-Kyoto" and the Bush sponsored talks coming up later this year. That might get some attention among US voters but I expect not.

liberal? Don't think so. I'm a fair bit more conservative than the average Canadian.

You flatly state that climate change causes civil unrest.You also make it clear to stop it is deal with climate change.You leave no room for the many wars that had nothing to do with the climate at all!

That's like saying you leave no room for the many accidents that weren't caused by drunk drivers.

Any body of science is subject to challenge and I think sufficient doubts have been raised about the data and methodology used by the global warmers. I think now were are at a stage where the catastrophic predictions of such people (I saw one such the other day predicting the worst calamity in human history by 2050 if we don't do "something") are being being met with a fair degree of skepticism. Add to that the fact that the day that Al Gore got the Nobel Prize (a political award) a judge called the impartiality of his movie into question.

That's like saying you leave no room for the many accidents that weren't caused by drunk drivers.

LOL

You replied to this:

sunsettommy @ Oct 18 2007, 09:07 PM)

Which was a reply to this:

coot @ Oct 18 2007, 03:36 PM)

Your latest reply is illogical since you no longer even support your earlier quotes.I was merely noting that by your own words you made it seem that ALL wars are caused by climatic upheavels.

I disputed it by showing a sampling of past wars that were not caused by climatic upheavels or similar.I hope you realize that some wars are purely caused by political or religious reasons.

Noted the lack of reply to my point about many wars that have nothing to do with significant climate events.

Noted the lack of reply to my minimizing your interesting if incomplete history report that you provided a link to.

Any body of science is subject to challenge and I think sufficient doubts have been raised about the data and methodology used by the global warmers. I think now were are at a stage where the catastrophic predictions of such people (I saw one such the other day predicting the worst calamity in human history by 2050 if we don't do "something") are being being met with a fair degree of skepticism. Add to that the fact that the day that Al Gore got the Nobel Prize (a political award) a judge called the impartiality of his movie into question.

Funny you say that since most of the challenges are coming from people like me.You know the ones who are called "deniers".

We are the ones who are catching the scaremonegering that Gore and Hansen among others present by exposing the rot behind it.

We are the ones that exposed the obvious bunk the "hockey stick" paper was.We are the ones who have exposed Dr.Jones and his (elusive raw data) papers of the last 25 years.We are the ones who have exposed the shoddiness of weather reporting stations here in america and now abroad.

You get the drift?

I saw one such the other day predicting the worst calamity in human history by 2050 if we don't do "something"

Do you realize how worthless this is?

If there were no skeptics to save your asses.We would be in a world of SH!T!

The Environmentalists would have had a field day.

Scepticism saves lives and saves freedoms.