Conservative Party Leadership

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tone it down, MR PC.... There's at least as much intolerance in your "enlightened" east as out west.

Intolerance of Christians, Judeo-Chriostian values, for starters. And the same sneering down their noses as you just demonstrated with that unwarranted attack on westerners.

Go join Brison in the Liberal party, and sneer all you want...until May that is, when Mr harper wipes those smug grins off your faces!

Harper to launch campaign for the leadership today in Ottawa

Is Prentice withdrawing from the race due to lack of funds?

-------------------------------

'Harper a shoo-in? Not quite'

-from Toronto Star

http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/Conte...ol=968350116467

'But while Harper can count on more grassroots money than any other prospective candidate, many charter members of corporate Canada would have given him the cold shoulder. Over the past few weeks, there has been evidence that some corporate heavy hitters are ready to put up a lot of cash to help someone beat Harper for the leadership of the new party.'

Edited by maplesyrup

You are right Neal F. And I want to apologize to Sir for that post. It was unacceptable from me to post this message and if you think I don't like westener, it's not the case. I supported one at the last leadership and I was ready to the same for this one.

Put it on my frustration and not the religion.

Don Newman, host of the CBC show Politics, just announced that CBC Newsworld would be carrying Stephen Harper's launch for the Conservartive party leadership tonight live from Ottawa starting at 7:15 PM (EST).

After his kick-off in Ottawa tonight, Harper's first stop is Fredericton, NB. Probably good symbolic strategy, as all 4 Maritime governments are PC at the moment.

Norm Spector, the New VI's (Vancouver Island television station) political commentator, former Mulroney advisor and Times Colonist journalist, who was a panelist on Polits, stated that he felt Harper was head and shoulders about the rest of the possible candidates.

Rick Anderson suggested that Harper's position wasn't as strong as people think, even in the West, and that he thinks Clement will have a strong showing. Anderson may be just trying to drum up some interest with his comments.

The panelists didn't think much about Stronach's candidacy.

Interestingly enough, there is not one sigle declared candidate right at the moment. That will all change this evening, of course.

Prentice has officially withdrawn according to his website.

Will his supporters scatter or gravitate to one particular candidate?

The Canadian Alliance held its last caucus meeting today in Ottawa. On to better things, they hope.

Chuck Strahl, if he enters the race will surprise.

Both David Orchard and Stockwell Day, will be commenting on CBC Newsworld this evening.

Edited by maplesyrup

I predict...Harper will win the leadership hands down. Not my choice but this will be a good thing. (I'm grasping for some kind of silver lining here.) The closer it becomes to a coronation, the more united the party will be going in to an election. This will be all that saves us because Martin is going to win 265 seats.

I also predicted the War to liberate Kuwait in 1991 would last 6 years. Go figure.

Mackay definitely out of leadership race

Bachand will sit as Independent until next election

-from CBC

----------------------------

'Harper launches one Krafty attack'

by Barbara McClintock

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonNews/es.es-01-13-0015.html

'Harper launched his "One Conservative Voice" rally-style campaign at the Ottawa Civic Centre by taking aim at Paul Martin's privileged background, and styling himself as an average family man from humble beginnings.'

Edited by maplesyrup

Heavy hitters getting behind Paris Hilton- er, Belinda Stronach

Tell me guys, does this still look like an Alliance takeover?

If this woman wins, she'll find herself leading a new PROGRESSIVE conservative Party.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the merger was not such a good idea after all.

Nonsense. The social conservatives will never accept her. Big Corporate overpriveleged spoiled brat. No thanks.

She will never be PM. Conservatives have never ofrmed government without so-cons, and she will, if she's lucky, emerge with party status. It'll be 1993 all over again.

As for Jacko being leader of the opposition, If Stronach wins the leadership, it becomes a reasonable possibility.

Massive Liberal win. itty-bitty opposition. Probably with fewer seats than Broadbent won them in '88.

Come on guys - are you drunk? Stronach hasn't a hope in hell of winning this race. Let's all forget the mediahype this women is getting and look at the facts. She's got no campaign organization on the ground. Nadda, nothing, not even a sitting MP supporting her. So how is she going to win a leadership with no party insiders?

It's unbelievable how easily some of you fall for these media tactics. Just cause she's got a pretty face and lots of daddy's money, doesn't mean she'll be a player in the race.

If you want to see who is going to win this leadership race go to the party's founding meetings that are being held across the country this month and see who's bothering to set up a table at the back of the room. My guess is the only tables set up will be staffed by Harper's people. He's the only candidate who's got people on the ground working the rooms and the people that will make a difference in the end.

Just cause the CBC and the Globe and Mail tell you that she's got a chance, doesn't mean she does. Let's try to think for ourselves.

There will be alot of new memberships sold over the next few weeks, and rest assured that if anyone has the clout to move those numbers in critical areas in Quebec and Ontario, and points east, Brian Mulroney & Mike Harris can.

The contradiction in the two events, signing the agreement with Orchard, and then going against what he agreed to, by merging his PC party with Harper's Alliance party has done MacKay in, at least for the leadership race, if not his own riding in Nova Scotia, in the next election.

This ripping up of the Orchard agreement, has created a large part of the turmoil for the new party, and eventually may be the catalyst for another pary of progressive conservatives being formed by the folks who are opposed to the merger. We will have to wait and see on that one.

Meanwhile we have a leadership contest to watch.

Edited by maplesyrup

If they elect Paris Hilton as leader, then why would they need a new PC party? It'll be there already, and Jolly Joe, John herron and andre bchand are free to rejoin!!!!!

There will be a market for a new Reform party, though.

You are right Neil. In a sense, Stronach can, with all her ressources, sign up and set up an organization fairly quicly.

Don't forget that the Prentice team is waiting for signals from their organiser leader and you have now the MacKay team, at least what's left ready to go now. It's just a matter of who they will support. Tony or Belinda ?

For now, I see Harper pushing very hard the big ball at the end of a rope. But more he is pushing, more the big ball will come back fast and hard on him. :blink:

If, by the wildest stretch of imagination possible, Stronach wins this thing...

We're toast, simple as that.

Martin will throttle her, as will his bloodthirsty Liberal machine.

I would go so far as to say that, if Klein backs her, he runs some serious risks within his own party on the homefront with his own membership.

There is, frankly, an anti-CA stink coming out of the east regarding this whole process.

When the "good ol' boys" of the PCs would rather back someone with virtually NO credentials whatsoever for the job over someone of the proven abilities and trackrecord as does Harper possess, it's a pretty sad statement about the political realities of this country, IMHO.

To put a fine point on it...

If Stronach can and does actually win this race, then I will have final confirmation that I have been kidding myself for about 15 years regarding the future of the west within Canada.

Springer, Let's stop with the east vs west thing. There's alot of us here who want to kick elitist ass as badly as you.

More and more I'm thinking the merger was a big mistake. It seems to have given the Progressives, who were on life support a new lease on life.

Maybe we should have let them have one more election if only so they could die.

You know Pell that some NDpers want to move that party to the centre while others want to move to the left. Jack Layton and Ed Broadbrent disagree on the legalization of pot. Svend wants to remove references to God from the Canadian constitution and I'm sure Bill Blakie would object. Blah Blah Blah

Paul Martin has removed anybody emodied in central policies from the Liberals.

Yet you speak of a historic division within the Conservative Party as if it unique and new. The conservatives have formed governments with more conflict in thier ranks than today. A couple examples, John Crosbie and Joe Clark, Mulroney and Bouchard.

It must be frustrating backing a party that ranks some 10% back of a party one month old, no leader, no platform and oh so (not) divided.

You know Pell that some NDpers want to move that party to the centre while others want to move to the left. Jack Layton and Ed Broadbrent disagree on the legalization of pot. Svend wants to remove references to God from the Canadian constitution and I'm sure Bill Blakie would object. Blah Blah Blah

Paul Martin has removed anybody emodied in central policies from the Liberals.

Yet you speak of a historic division within the Conservative Party as if it unique and new. The conservatives have formed governments with more conflict in thier ranks than today. A couple examples, John Crosbie and Joe Clark, Mulroney and Bouchard.

It must be frustrating backing a party that ranks some 10% back of a party one month old, no leader, no platform and oh so (not) divided.

the NDP is a single party, very few, if no, members threathen to leave.

check the news, see what orchard says

read what neal says right here

this new party has major problems.