Conservative Party Leadership

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As previously predicted:

Stronach wins key Quebec organizers

Canadian Press

Ottawa — Belinda Stronach has won the support of a group of key Tory organizers in Quebec, a province that could swing the Conservative leadership outcome.

But opponents are accusing the millionaire businesswoman of using her riches to buy up longtime backroomers and warn she could do the same with party members.

"We call her Magna Bucks," said Richard Decarie, a former Tory strategist now organizing for former Alliance leader Stephen Harper in Quebec.

"They made their decision based on dollars. We are scared if memberships are bought, the contest has no weight."

The backroomers were reportedly offered between $35,000 and $50,000 each for about two months' work, said Gord Haugh, a longtime aide and organizer for leadership hopeful Tony Clement in Ontario.

"It's not a pretty game," he said. "It just makes it an uneven playing field when someone can go in and — without regard to cost — buy up whatever they want. That's not what politics is about."

Mr. Haugh also said Ms. Stronach's team has tried to woo away his chief organizer for B.C. and Alberta.

Senator Pierre Claude Nolin, one of Ms. Stronach's key Quebec organizers, said Friday that while his campaign has a substantial budget, the defectors were not swayed by money.

"It was an old network of friends who are very happy to be together again," he said. "Do we have a budget? Yes, we have a budget. But that's our challenge — to regroup the old network. There's no big magic behind that."

In separate meetings starting last week, about half a dozen high-profile Quebec organizers sat down with Ms. Stronach, Mr. Clement and Mr. Harper. Among those who opted to join Ms. Stronach were Dany Renaud, Bernard Cote, Luc Ouellet, Jose Nicholas and George Villeneuve, said Mr. Nolin.

Three organizers who had signed on to work for Mr. Clement's campaign also defected, including Leo Housakos.

Mr. Nolin said many of the recruits have worked with him on Tory campaigns dating back to 1984.

Ms. Stronach's efforts may be well-placed. Quebec is virtually a blank slate, where selling a few memberships could mean a sweep on ballot day.

Under the system negotiated during the merger between the former Progressive Conservative and Canadian Alliance parties, every federal riding was given equal weight in selecting the leader.

That means Quebec's 75 ridings outweigh Alberta and British Columbia combined, despite the dearth of party members.

Only about 300 of the 53,000 mail-in ratification votes to approve the merger last month came from Alliance party members in Quebec.

Michael Fortier, Mr. Harper's campaign co-chair, said Quebec ridings like Trois-Rivieres had a combined membership of just 31 people in December. Terrebonne-Blainville had 15, and Rimouski-Neigette-et-la-Mitis had only five.

That means that, unlike many Alberta ridings with 5,000 or more party members, it wouldn't take much work to tilt the balance in many Quebec seats, said Mr. Fortier.

And on March 20, each will be worth the same 100 points in the leadership tally as any other federal riding. In total, Quebec will add up to 7,500 points, nearly half the 15,401 points a candidate needs to win on the first ballot.

Mr. Fortier, who lives in Montreal, agreed that Ms. Stronach used her money to buy the support of the Quebec circle.

"They're a well-oiled campaign, they've got a lot of money, and some of them may have actually made the decision to go to her because commercially it was perhaps an interesting proposition," he said.

"You have to differentiate between people who are volunteers and just do things because they think it's the right thing .-.-. and people who, while being Conservatives, also make a living out of organizing campaigns."

But the decision by some to join Ms. Stronach isn't a fatal blow, he added.

"We would have liked these people to work with us," he said, but there's a "whole host" of Alliance members willing to organizer for Harper.

"They exist and they're with us."

Mr. Decarie said fears are mounting within the Quebec wing of another scandal like that in 2000, when money flowing through Alliance leadership candidate Tom Long's campaign wound up buying memberships for some 3,000 people in the Gaspe region. The people turned out to be long gone or deceased.

"If (Ms. Stronach's organizers) start buying memberships it could be very damaging for the party for sure," he said. "The Conservatives who are working on the ground are very disappointed with what they are seeing."

A Stronach insider called the fears "highly speculative."

Mr. Harper wants an all-candidates debate in French as soon as possible, Mr. Decarie said. Both Mr. Clement and Mr. Harper are bilingual. Mr. Harper hopes to reveal the unilingual Ms. Stronach's key weakness in the province. But Mr. Fortier acknowledges Mr. Harper should probably have devoted more time to Quebec during his period in the Opposition Leader's office.

"He'd probably tell you you're right, he should have."

Mr. Nolin said English Canada is far more obsessed with Ms. Stronach's lack of French than Quebeckers. He said "respect for the francophone difference" is far more important, something Ms. Stronach demonstrated when she met with Quebec organizers on Sunday.

Insiders said former prime minister Brian Mulroney's organizers are already working for Ms. Stronach behind the scenes. A formal endorsement would boost her profile, Mr. Fortier said.

Mr. Nolin said the two are friends and speak regularly.

What's the big deal, do you want to win or not? Harper is damaged goods, just like MacKay. They both should have stayed out of the race.

If Harper wins I predict that the PC Party of Canada will revive and the whole merger will have been be a waste of time.

EDITORIAL: The Tory Trudeau?

http://www.squamishchief.com/madison%5CWQu...A4?OpenDocument

By Tim Shoults

'The race to play sacrificial lamb to Prime Minister Paul Martin just got a little more interesting — to the point where this spring’s anticipated federal election might end up becoming a contest after all.

The emergence of auto parts magnate Belinda Stronach as a candidate for the Conservative Party of Canada is good news not only for the fledgling party, but for our democratic system.

With apologies to supporters of former Canadian Alliance leader and front-runner Stephen Harper (including local MP John Reynolds), his victory would sound the death knell of the newly-united right before it can even contest an election. The former Preston Manning policy man, who not long ago called for a “firewall” around his native province of Alberta to shut out the federal government, has about as much Prime Ministerial potential as former Bloc Quebecois leader Lucien Bouchard.

If the right is content to give up on Eastern Canada — and therefore, any hope at power — merely consolidate its shrunken western base and hope for better luck or more Liberal arrogance next decade, then Harper is the man to lead it.

But if the Tories want a real shot at power, it’s time for a completely new face. In fact, a new face may make all the difference.

Paul Martin can try to rejuvenate the Liberal party after a decade of Jean Chrétien, but he can’t erase his connections to that past — nor can he turn back the clock on his own age after being spitefully denied his chance for so long. Running against a fresh-faced leader, free of the taint of political strife, Martin could see his cakewalk turn into a fight for survival.

If Stronach can successfully make it out of the backrooms of conservative politics to take the leadership of the Conservative Party of Canada this spring, she certainly fits the bill.

Remember, the last federal leader to come out of the political wilderness was also relatively young, also came from a fairly tony family background, and, while interested in politics for many years, never sought the hurly-burly of elected office before emerging from nowhere to claim the top job.

That young man’s name was Pierre Elliot Trudeau.

The comparison is far from perfect — but at this first impression, she has at least the potential to be the same kind of breath of fresh air that helped propel Trudeaumania in 1968.

You never know…'

What's the big deal, do you want to win or not? Harper is damaged goods, just like MacKay. They both should have stayed out of the race.

Yes I do want the Conservative party to win. And I have seen this script played out before in 1993 with Ms. Campbell.

The Liberal press is building up the worst candidate, one they know has no chance at all against Layton and Martin. Soon as she is crowned winner the knives come out and they will destroy her.

And this time there won't be anything left. Kim managed to get two seats. Kim actually had experience and opinions on issues. The average Canadian has a better platform than Belinda. I am sure her high price help will eventually create a platform for her but if she gets the leadership than the debates in the next election campaign are going to be the nastiest thing you've ever seen.

January 24, 2004

Just speech-less

By LICIA CORBELLA -- Calgary Sun

She came. We saw. She did not conquer. For a while, it seemed as if Belinda Stronach just might make believers of the 1,350 Calgarians assembled at the Telus Convention Centre yesterday morning.

The room was truly abuzz. It was palpable. Anticipation was high. The numbers tell the story.

Edmund Oliverio, publicist for the Calgary Chamber of Commerce, says notice of this event went out last Thursday afternoon and "by Friday morning the ballroom at the Chamber, which holds 300 people, was sold out."

Granted, compared to most political events, this non-fundraiser was cheap, setting back Chamber members just $40 and non-members $55.

By early Monday, the Chamber started talking to the Hyatt, and by early afternoon they had to book the Convention Centre.

Despite the early hour, the room was electric.

"There she is!" exclaimed an excited gent at the table behind me, when Stronach first entered the room.

And the electricity grew when it became evident Stronach was making the rounds. She's good at it too, the schmoozing. Way better than her top competitor for leader of the Conservative Party, Stephen Harper, who will schmooze, if absolutely necessary -- which, for politicians, should be always.

And the excitement continued to build. Steve Snyder, president and CEO of Calgary-based TransAlta, opined to the assembled throng: "Belinda, your offer to serve brings a renewed energy and vitality to this new party."

Who could argue that? She's been in the news every day for two weeks and she only announced her candidacy Tuesday.

The anticipation was building. The building was buzzing. Belinda came to the podium. The atmosphere crackled.

Then, she started to speak. And then came the Pop! and the, Psssssssssss. It was as if someone rammed a spike into the collective psyche of the room, or at least sprayed it with a giant can of Static Guard.

I have never seen someone lose a crowd quite as fast as Stronach did. She didn't get her second round of limp applause until the third-page of her abysmal speech.

And what's with that? The woman makes $9 million a year, has, apparently, been working towards this day for 10 months and that's the best speech she can buy?

But it's not just the poorly written speech. Worse yet is the passionless, stilted delivery. This woman is wooden.

She may be friends with Bill Clinton, but she's clearly never asked him for any help in the art of oration.

Again, for someone who's apparently been assembling a team to help her with this for 10 months, how is it possible that she hasn't learned how to deliver a speech, beyond what you'd expect in elementary school? I'm not trying to be mean here, just honest.

Her policies are slapdash, too. On Wednesday when asked about western alienation in Vancouver, Stronach said: "I would, let's see, I think it's important that we look at Canada as ... I want to make sure I ... that we allow each region to prosper and we figure out what is the best strategy for each region to prosper." Oy vey.

Yesterday, she had it figured out, though. She'd let provinces elect their senators.

Many politicians, past and present were there.

When asked on the record how they thought she did they said things like: "She's a talented business person," or "not bad for a beginner."

Off the record, they said, "she's not ready," and, even more candidly, "that was the worse speech I've ever heard."

Meanwhile, her opponents for the job of Conservative Party leader -- Harper and Tony Clement -- are viewed as being all steak and no sizzle. Stronach is supposed to be more sizzle with a good helping of steak.

Not so. It was evident, very early on in her speech, with her rigid delivery and thin policy that Stronach is more fizzle than sizzle, let alone steak. Maybe in four or five years.

Like I've already said: It's great she's joined the race. She's brought excitement and interest to the new party, but it'll be a disaster if she wins.

From"RICK BELL -- Calgary Sun

Pop goes politics

By RICK BELL -- Calgary Sun

So what. So Belinda is poor on policy.

So Belinda offers pap instead of principle. Bland not buzz.

So?

Few give a farthing, except nattering nasty newshounds and dying-off dinosaurs who still somehow cling to the neanderthal notion politics should be at least a teensy weensy bit about something.

They are silly souls in the age of reality TV that isn't real, song contests with precious little singing, where people are famous for being famous.

Belinda is about the best marketing massage of the masses money can muster. Content is for chumps. It's the image.

With prefabricated pop culture why not prefab politics?

And who'd think the Tories would be so hip to the hype.

It works.

Of course, so does hypnosis. Yesterday, a record stampede of suits cancel power breakfasts and early-morning trundles on the treadmill to be in on the happening, to be able to tell one and all: Do you know who I saw today? Belinda.

Ralph's energy czar, Murray Smith, is overheard asking some oilpatch dweeb what the yuppie thinks of "the new phenom."

Art (Hang 'em High) Hanger, one of the tough hombre MPs of the old Reform days, is caught on camera and he's so excited you'd figure he's just seen the latest episode of Cops.

The press sit serious at a table, like judges for Canadian Idol.

Belinda's speech is a bore.

This is the same platter of platitudes Belinda provides when she announces she should be prime minister. So what.

"Of course it is," says an indignant handler.

"You'll hear it again and again and again."

Thought so.

She believes in honesty, integrity, compassion, working together and listening, openness, reaching out to youth, yadda yadda yadda. (Isn't that word from a hugely popular show about ... nothing?)

Less taxes, more spending.

Baking a bigger economic pie. (Someone left the cake out in the rain.) Her heart goes out to farmers over mad cow.

She'll have ideas on how to run the country sometime but they'll only be something to discuss.

Belinda is open and inclusive. ( I am looking for the closed and exclusive candidate myself.)

She admits a steep learning curve (yah, steep as in Everest.)

She says get involved (buy a membership) and join her on the journey (her journey ... to Ottawa).

At a "structured media availability" Belinda speaks of "western alienization." (Hey, the old Chretien move of mispronouncing words, a sure route to Sussex Dr.)

She returns retorts in lofty lobs such as:

a) we need to strengthen the democratic process

B) we need to fix the system

c) we need more input

d) we'll consult FILL IN THE BLANK HERE

e) we'll work on what unites the country

The political junkies titter over the thin thoughts but so what? Almost everybody who sees Belinda wants to believe. They know there is precious little in their bullpen to pitch the get-rid-of-the-Grits gab.

So who cares about the performance. Belinda is a) fresh B) new and c) I'm sure with experience she'll be a star.

Just what the spin doctors ordered.

As one of their ilk is heard to say: "They have a leader who was born in the '30s, we have a leader who is in her 30s."

And, after all, Rod Love is running her Alberta operation and he patented Ralph's "Man of the People" trademark.

Yes, Belinda is a winner. Rich, good-looking and smart. Well, two out of three ain't bad. I hear leadership hopeful Tony Clement's Calgary kickoff is also at the Telus Convention Centre ... ooops ... no that's the phone booth across the street.

Belinda does provide one peculiar phrase.

After a series of brilliant bafflegabs she says: "I think this race should be about ideas."

Ideas?

Belinda, don't mess up a good thing.

Belinda's resume is thin

National Post

Saturday, January 24, 2004

Re: Enter Belinda, editorial, Jan. 21.

Ask yourself, how many women or for that matter men with no university or college education and very few years of experience and accomplishment are hired by multinational, multi-billion dollar corporations as CEOs or presidents? Famous CEOs like Bill Gates of Microsoft and Larry Ellison of ORACLE built their companies from zero to $multi-billion firms with their own wits and imagination, although they did not possess university degrees. Being daddy's little girl seems to be Belinda's only credential leading to her appointment to the illustrious role of CEO of Magna International and now her bid for the leadership of the new Federal Conservative Party of Canada.

I am the CEO of a privately-owned, multi-million dollar technology company that I built from scratch with not one penny from anyone -- banks, friends, or relatives. So when I read about Ms. Stronach's bid for the Conservative leadership, I feared, as do most Canadians now, that credentials, experience, service, and vision mean nothing in this country. Basically, power can be purchased at any price, if someone like Ms. Stronach can run,or God forbid, win the Conservative leadership. When smug Canadians claim how different we are from Americans, in that we don't buy political leadership and the power that comes with it (like George W. Bush), we are lying to ourselves. If we give Ms. Stronach any attention or credibility, we will be no different than our American relatives -- where $millions are a pre-requisite for political office.

In my career, I have had to interview thousands of candidates. If I looked at Ms. Stronach's resume, my analysis would be as follows: no university education, no political experience, no demonstrable community service, no vision (plagiarizing former Ontario premier Mike Harris's political platforms doesn't count), no ability to comprehend what it is like to put in the time, sweat, and tears to build experience, knowledge, and mastery of one's talents. No empathy or ability to stand in the common man or woman's shoes (calling herself a working woman is akin to calling Queen Elizabeth a working mother). No speaking ability in French (a pre-requisite for Federal office), even with the elegant privilege of summering in the South of France. In short, I would throw her political resume straight into the garbage.

I am quite sure that the NDP's Jack Layton, Ed Broadbent and Liberal Prime Minister Paul Martin are delighted that Ms. Stronach is running for office, because if by chance she wins the Conservative leadership race, Mr. Martin's win is a guaranteed slam dunk, and the NDP will also gain ground as the only real opposition. The fact that Conservatives would even allow someone like Ms. Stronach to run for leadership makes one think that this party espouses the same values: That money buys power implicitly and explicitly in this country and real sweat of your brow accomplishment means nothing.

Mary-Ann Massad Johnson, CEO and President, Knowsys Group Ltd, Richmond Hill, Ont.

Maple, what did you think ? My 2 cents worth? Belinda is the puppet on the strings of John Laschinger, and his rich Bay St. legal eagle friends. John et al. are savvy, experienced, smart, ruthless and 'pragmatic' ie. non - ideological. They must perceive that BS's image [and perhaps b.s.], is necessary to appeal to some voters that are fence straddlers.

Well though John and co., are light years smarter than I am, i would kindly disagree with their analysis.

Policies, content and substance do matter. 10 years of John Christ was enough - and Martin has given us little fodder to think he will be any different - we will see some hints during the Throne speech of what he wants to do, but I would guess it will amount to 'not much'.

Running BS against the Liberal media machine is like sending Mary and her lamb to visit the wolf.

Not a good policy nor strategy for the new Conservative party. It makes the Conservatives about as serious as a Super Bowl where Justin and Janet vy for dummies of the year with flash dancing.

Unnecessary.