Freedom speaks English

Interesting. But my mother owned a 1977 Volvo, which was also a disaster mechanically. Just ask me. I was driving it on the Henry Hudson Parkway when it seized up and had to be towed to a dealership (about 6 months after purchase as a supposedly new car).

I bought a Dodge Aspen the year it came out, a vehicle later described by the Society of Automotive Engineers as the worst car ever made.

Further, you undoubtedly do not comprehend how the purchase of big ticket items from foreign companies effects ultimately your countries balance of payments, and indirectly/directly your own job/income/opportunities.

You undoubtedly do not comprehend that globalization has made your us/them distinctions largely irrelevant. You might think that someone buying a Jeep Patriot over a Honda Accord is more patriotic, but the Patriot is more foreign-made than the Honda.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-0...ent-chart_n.htm

You undoubtedly do not comprehend that globalization has made your us/them distinctions largely irrelevant. You might think that someone buying a Jeep Patriot over a Honda Accord is more patriotic, but the Patriot is more foreign-made than the Honda.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-0...ent-chart_n.htm

Good point here. Thanks for posting it.

Edited by jdobbin

Beats the alternative, like Venezuela, chaos but no freedom.

If you asked a Venezuelan whether they would prefer Jamaica to Venezuela, what do you think they would chose?

More ad hominemm attacks?

The primary laguage of Israel is Hebrew. There are many there who do not speak English. All you have to do is listen to Tzivi Lipni give a press conference. The woman is Minister of Foreign affairs and she is unintelligible in English. As for being a free country - Israel is only free if you are a Jew. Arabs are definitely not free in Israel, even if they are citizens. They are even barred by law from sleeping overnight on "crown land" - i.e. lands adminstered by the JNF.

In both of those countries, English is the language used by the educated people, and is, as a practical matter, the unifying language.

OK JBG. Go to those countries without speaking one of the local languages and see how equal you feel. It won't be long before you are asking your taxi driver to interpret for you - if he speaks English. You want to think of Singapore as a free country? You need to learn what a PAP smear is. You do know what PAP means in this context do you not?

That the Muslim world has been in decline for five hundred years, and is still medieval. I'm not sure that bothers him, but he's sure medieval in his mentality.

More ad homminem attacks?

Because of the chaos caused by the Muslim insurrection.

Philppinos are leaving because of the Muslim insurrection? That's rich.

Don't we all? I know I'll never change your mind. I'm using your posts as a counterpoint to speak with others who have a more open mind.

You might if you knew what you are talking about. You ticked me off by taking one characteristic and labelling it as some sort of freedom marker. English is not a freedom marker JBG.

Edited by Higgly

The US is the boogie man. Man that is coot, I mean cool.

I didn't say the US is a boogie man, or anything remotely like that. You should read posts before you comment on them.

Philppinos are leaving because of the Muslim insurrection? That's rich.

You might if you knew what you are talking about. You ticked me off by taking one characteristic and labelling it as some sort of freedom marker. English is not a freedom marker JBG.

You're a bit "rich" in that sense. I go to the trouble of agreeing with you and saying you made a good point (link) and even there you attack me (link).

I didn't say the US is a boogie man, or anything remotely like that. You should read posts before you comment on them.

I was only commenting to your comment "...you ignore the point that the U.S. has decided freedom is inconvenient, scary, and very September 10." I presumed that you meant that the US uses scare tactics, analogy to boogieman, to institute procedures you view as heavy handed and freedom robbing. The whole 911 Commission Report said that the US had not done enough, and you think it has now done too much. Is that remotely what you meant? One might suggest that your reference to "very September 10" labels you as ...

I'm quite satisfied wtih my succession of Toyota Camrys. My wife is not so satisfied with her Mercury, nor with the Ford Taurus station wagons that preceded it.

I am driving a mercury now, and my parents a taurus station wagon. Well satisfied with them, and with the thought that many families are supported by a Ford plant outside Buffalo, although not as many as previously.

Boeing is one of, if not the biggest positive balance of trade companies, but airbuses are very common. Other postings complain about WalMart, and jobs. My point is it is time for people to start putting money where their mouth is and stop lecturing about what they know and others don't know or understand.

You're a bit "rich" in that sense. I go to the trouble of agreeing with you and saying you made a good point (link) and even there you attack me (link).

Philippinos are leaving because they live in a corrupt state run by a small circle of landowners which makes any sort of economic advancement difficult, if not impossible. Even the great Corry Aquino - mother of the Edsa Revolution that deposed Marcos, was a member of the landowner elite. This is a country where government employees are so poorly paid that they have to have a second job just to make ends meet. They don't care if the second job requires the same hours, because the system is so badly run that they get paid whether they show up or not. All of this is kept running by means of a thoroughly corrupt military and police force.

Muslim insurgency in the Philippines is limited to the island of Mindanao, where the Philippine army has had the bad guys holed up for decades (with generous help from the US of course).

University educated Philippinos live in squalor in Quezon City and luxury in Calgary.

Edited by Higgly

Philippinos are leaving because they live in a corrupt state run by a small circle of landowners which makes any sort of economic advancement difficult, if not impossible. Even the great Corry Aquino - mother of the Edsa Revolution that deposed Marcos, was a member of the landowner elite. This is a country where government employees are so poorly paid that they have to have a second job just to make ends meet. They don't care if the seond job requires the same hours, beccause the system is so badly run that they get paid whether they show up or not. All of this is kept running by means of a thoroughly corrupt military and police force.

Muslin insurgency in the Philippines is limited to the island of Mindanao, where the Philippine army has had the bad guys holed up for decades (with generous help from the US of course).

University educated Philippinos live in squalor in Quezon City and luxury in Calgary.

Spelling like that could get you suspended.....I believe you asked it be so

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The US's "warrantless surveillance programs"? How else is the US to protect itself from a clandestine guerrilla war?

There isn't a guerilla war in the United States, that's a really absurd reason to take away the right to privacy. Perhaps if you simply shred the consitution, give all power over to the government, and then allow a military dictatorship to take power, you can also gain temporary safety as well. Fear makes people do stupid things, one of which is giving over complete control to the government to ensure temporary safety.

There isn't a guerilla war in the United States, that's a really absurd reason to take away the right to privacy. Perhaps if you simply shred the consitution, give all power over to the government, and then allow a military dictatorship to take power, you can also gain temporary safety as well. Fear makes people do stupid things, one of which is giving over complete control to the government to ensure temporary safety.
Not really. The US Constitution protects citizens. Resident aliens are here at our sufference. Overseas communications is similarly not a right. Internal free speech is.

Not really. The US Constitution protects citizens. Resident aliens are here at our sufference. Overseas communications is similarly not a right. Internal free speech is.

Isn't it the point that the government has the power to implement the Constitution ... or not ... to protect citizens ... or not ... as it chooses, by making laws ... or creating crises ... ?

Isn't it the point that the government has the power to implement the Constitution ... or not ... to protect citizens ... or not ... as it chooses, by making laws ... or creating crises ... ?

No...the US Constitution enumerates powers granted to government by the governed. That includes rights that the government may not violate without due process.

I'm not sure I understand. But communications with hostile powers outside of the country has always been regulated.