Cdn attitudes toward the opposition parties

I'm surprised our usual poll pundits haven't posted this poll story on Dion and the Liberals.

Looks like people think Layton would be a better PM than Dion.And the Liberals touting themselves as "Environmentalist" didn't fool those polled.

Liberals see assets fade in new poll

The same number (64%) believe that Liberal MPs do not act with honesty and uphold the highest ethical standards. The New Democrats are far more highly rated in this area by Canadians—45 per cent of respondents to an earlier poll say NDP MPs do act with honesty and high ethical standards
Just a quarter of Canadians (25%) felt that Stephane Dion would make a good prime minister, well below the number who believe Jack Layton would be good as leader of the country (37%).
And despite the party’s efforts to the contrary, 64 per cent of Canadians do not think the Liberals care more about the environment than any other party. Roughly 60 per cent from all regions agree this is the case.

Going to be an interesting summer for all the parties.

Going to be an interesting summer for all the parties.

I've expressed my feelings on Angus Reid online polls many times.

This is the quote that caught my attention though.

Yet poor opinion of the party and its members does not translate into lower popularity with voters. Thirty-four per cent of Canadians say they are considering voting Liberal in their riding during the next federal election, more than those who are considering voting NDP (30%).

It's not suprising to me at all. Stephane Dions' placement as Liberal leader has befuddled me from the start.

Laytons' popularity grows but will never be viably considered by Canadians as a future Prime Minister.

There isn't an opposition right now. I voted Conservative despite having Liberal leanings and have seen very little to alter my course the next time around.

The Liberals (unfortunately) continue to be staffed by the same "entitled terds" as before, and offer nothing substantive to justify a changing of the gaurd thus far.

I'm very pleased than someone has finaly taken Atlantic Canada to the boards on the equalization issues aswell. I'm amazed that considering the windfall of natural resources that's graced the Atlantic shores lately, they feel no need to pay back the rest of Canada for what has amounted to a group of welfare states for 50 years.

This is the quote that caught my attention though.
Yet poor opinion of the party and its members does not translate into lower popularity with voters. Thirty-four per cent of Canadians say they are considering voting Liberal in their riding during the next federal election, more than those who are considering voting NDP (30%).

Amazing, the NDP are only 4% behind the official opposition.With a margin of error of +/- 3% 19 times out of 20 this is real close.

For top environmental party, first choice was the Green party, followed by the NDP, then the Liberals at 22 per cent,half of what the NDP received.

Like I said, this is going to be an interesting summer for all the parties.

Amazing, the NDP are only 4% behind the official opposition.With a margin of error of +/- 3% 19 times out of 20 this is real close.

For top environmental party, first choice was the Green party, followed by the NDP, then the Liberals at 22 per cent,half of what the NDP received.

Like I said, this is going to be an interesting summer for all the parties.

It doesn't mention where Tory support is. Below the Liberal support?

It doesn't mention where Tory support is. Below the Liberal support?

As much as you may like to have the Tories in opposition,not everyone can be in opposition.

Logic says a poll that asks a question about opposition party attitudes wouldn't include the governing party.

I would think with 67% of the people in Quebec saying they would not vote for the Liberals, that a question should have asked as to where the Bloc attitude fits in.

As much as you may like to have the Tories in opposition,not everyone can be in opposition.

Logic says a poll that asks a question about opposition party attitudes wouldn't include the governing party.

I would think with 67% of the people in Quebec saying they would not vote for the Liberals, that a question should have asked as to where the Bloc attitude fits in.

I was referring to all of Canada. If 34% would consider voting Liberal and 30% for the NDP, how much for the Tories? Or for the Bloc?

This poll tells me that the Tories are probably in the 30% margin as well nationally.

If you say logic should be used, tell me where you think the Tories are? 36% with the Bloc at 0%?

I was referring to all of Canada. If 34% would consider voting Liberal and 30% for the NDP, how much for the Tories? Or for the Bloc?

This poll tells me that the Tories are probably in the 30% margin as well nationally.

If you say logic should be used, tell me where you think the Tories are? 36% with the Bloc at 0%?

A "consider voting for" question isn't zero-sum.

It is entirely logical that a person could "consider" voting for more than one party.

Hence the vote intentions of the four national parties don't have to add up to 100%. They can be more than 100%.

IF the majority Canadians don't want Dion as PM than the NDP could take over the PM seat if there was an election. Why? I think Libs who don't support Dion will throw their support to NDP because after listening and watching Harper, its time for him to go and bring in change with the NDP. They can't be any worse than the other two parties and Harper has had his chance to show what it would be like under him and I think more voters what him out! Canadians gave him a chance and now why not give the NDP a chance before going back to the Libs?

IF the majority Canadians don't want Dion as PM than the NDP could take over the PM seat if there was an election. Why? I think Libs who don't support Dion will throw their support to NDP because after listening and watching Harper, its time for him to go and bring in change with the NDP. They can't be any worse than the other two parties and Harper has had his chance to show what it would be like under him and I think more voters what him out! Canadians gave him a chance and now why not give the NDP a chance before going back to the Libs?

Because ruling the country is not something that is just passed around the schoolyard for everyone to take turns at.

Dion has a better chance of being elected PM than Layton does - no matter what. And Dion's chances are somewhere between 'slim' and 'none'.

Far too many memories of Bob Rae in Ontario for that to ever happen.

If the NDP couldn't get it done under Ed Broadbent they are definitely not getting it done under Jack Layton.

IF the majority Canadians don't want Dion as PM than the NDP could take over the PM seat if there was an election. Canadians gave him a chance and now why not give the NDP a chance before going back to the Libs?

The NDP has neither the support or the base across Canada to become the ruling party. What it can do, when given the opportunity is provide an effective opposition. A position that the Liberals do poorly for two reasons. 1) they are more interested in finding ways back to power then being a critic of the government or serving the needs of the populace. 2) Many times the current government policy is the same as the Liberals when they were in power and it is their programs and decisions that they must critise and critique. A difficult task to do without being hypocritical. (Think of Afghanistan or Kyoto)

With the Reform Party Gone, the NDP does have the ability to provide a watchful eye, like it has done previously and popularly under Ed Broadbent.

Rather than trying to believe that the NDP can form the next government, I see the possibility of the CPC and NDP carving up Quebec away from the BQ. Whether it happens or not, it is the thought that counts, as I have little use for separatists, or the pretend separatists who get elected under the BQ banner only to collect the Federal Cheque from the rest of the country.

If the Liberals only got half of what the NDP received, the numbers don't add up. Where did you get these numbers from?

Far too many memories of Bob Rae in Ontario for that to ever happen.

If the NDP couldn't get it done under Ed Broadbent they are definitely not getting it done under Jack Layton.

Bob Rae isn't a factor Federally today in Ontario. While he was in power, he definitely aided the cause in the failure of the Federal Party in Ontario. I believe every NDP seat was lost. Bob Rae is comfortably playing possum in the Liberal Party. Perhaps he will get his opportunity to do for the Liberals what he did to the NDP.

Ed Broadbent was popular, but the Liberal Brand, and their ability to be a chamelon and change policy and principle on the fly, were able to do what they have always done. Keep seats of contention away from the NDP.

If the Liberals only got half of what the NDP received, the numbers don't add up. Where did you get these numbers from?

Sorry I neglected to link.

Toronto Star

When people were asked to name the top environmental party, 67 per cent chose the Green party, 45 per cent chose the NDP, while just 22 per cent said the Liberals were the best on the environment.

When people were asked to name the top environmental party, 67 per cent chose the Green party, 45 per cent chose the NDP, while just 22 per cent said the Liberals were the best on the environment.

So, 67 + 45 + 22 = 134% ?? I guess that means the Conservatives are at negative 34%??

So, 67 + 45 + 22 = 134% ?? I guess that means the Conservatives are at negative 34%??

No kidding. What the hell?

No kidding. What the hell?

Hey geoffrey!

You're the accountant.

You tell us how this government math works:)