Was the Japanese internment wrong?

There is nothing wrong with other languages jbg -- it may be valuable for you to learn one. ;)
Agreed on that, and agreed on the downright theft of property from the Japanese. As people on this Board know, my views on PM King and FDR are unprintable.

As far as languages go, my view is that it does children a gross injustice for them not to learn the working language of a country, in Canada's case, English.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you imagine that there would be a population of Ukrainians or Lithuanians or Africans that would concern our government about their loyalty to Japan? Of course they're Japanese, what do you think they'd be?

It doesn't make it racist. It's just obvious. The internment wasn't based solely on the fact they were of Japanese descent. It was based on the concern that they would obey their god and emperor and perform treacherous acts from within our borders.

Why? Because they were Japanese. In other words, the assumption that they would be disloyal was based soley on their race. You simply cannot-repeat, cannot-make the assertion that they were a security risk without addressing why that consclusion was reached. And that conclusion was arrived at on the racist assumption that all Japanese would be loyal to Japan regardelss of their situation here in North America.

But while I'm here, did I ever tell you the story of the circling dog...

Yeah you blathered on about that, but I ignored it because it made as much sense as anything else you post. Which is to say: no sense at all.

Watched a program on the Chinese men who built the Canadian Pacific railway. Gross injustice doesn't even come close.

Many Japanese families (most of them acutally) had to start from scratch after the "internment". They never got their land or assets returned to them.

If I had a first language other than english, you darn right I'd use it at home to be sure my children never lose it's useage. My family lost it's french -- we spoke it when we were little and my grandparents were alive. There is nothing wrong with other languages jbg -- it may be valuable for you to learn one. ;)

I want to learn Hindi so I can talk to the little old lady at the Indian restaurant I frequent. Why should this (she must be at least 100yo) old lady be forced to learn a new language at her age? Should her family just ship her back to India 'cause she can't speak english?

Indian and oriental women are by far the most beautiful on earth btw. The most beautiful men are blacks. Pasty, small-eyed, pimplyskinned white people don't even compare (except for maybe blue eyes) LOL

I guess overt racism against white folks isn't really racism, huh?

No they were rounded up because the almighty white Canadians wanted their properties, plain and simple.

Silly, unprovable and not backed up by fact.

Boy where have you been, talked to any of these people what a dumb statement

Perhaps you might want to look at what was happening not only in Canada but in the US and Britain. Internments were being conducted in all 3 countries and not just to Japanese and not just to Japanese with property.

No, they were rounded up because almighty white canadians, americans and brits were scared shitless of losing a war to the Japanese, germans and Italians. Japanese Property had SFA to do with it.

• 12 years later...

OP repeatedly claims that they aren't supporting internment, yet all their comments seem to be backing up those who do [support internment].

Make up your mind.

And what decides whether your "loyalties lie with our country"? How is that defined? Is it by... that tweet they made about how their prime minister is probably gay? Is it by whether they drop their traditions they have lived with all their lives for ours? Is it by whether they play hockey or not? 

There's no definition for this. And domestic threats are just as powerful as foreign ones, so it confuses me that your argument centers around immigrant "threats".

And as for internment, this didn't come into play. It was based on their ethnicity. Period. So, this whole bit about loyalties and way of life and oaths is the biggest load of crap.

On 6/20/2007 at 9:25 AM, JerrySeinfeld said:

Think about the Taliban threats of yesterday.

What I am saying is that today's world provides for a very complicated "war". And our multi-culti sensitivity is a huge weakness. We KNOW that the Taliban has threatened us. Yet we can't start profiling recent afghan immigrants or visitors. Well, we try to but there is constant outrage against "watchlists" etc. The Islamists know and understand this "tolerance" and softness when it comes to a long war. The Islamists know the war is not popular, and in a democracy that means it's our weakness.

Ah yes, the classic "Let's fear Islam because some radical nutjob is religious and so they represent the entire religion!"

Maybe the reason you keep assuring us you don't support internment is because you keep creating plausibility, nay, probability that you do. Not a big leap to suggest you're lying through your teeth.

-F

EDIT: Wow didn't realise this is from 2007 mb

Edited by MrF
oops this thread is from 2007