Harper Lavishes Praise

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070418/...rper_mulroney_4

Stephen Harper lavished praise on a predecessor who was once a bitter rival but who now serves as his political inspiration: Brian Mulroney.

The current prime minister paid tribute Wednesday to the former at an event honouring Mulroney for his 1991 recognition of Ukrainian independence.

In those days, Harper had just bolted from Mulroney's Conservative party to help spearhead the Reform movement.

Today, he hopes to emulate Mulroney's political success by leading the newly formed Conservatives back to the hallowed land of majority government.

Harper described his predecessor as a visionary who is only now being recognized for successes that once went ignored.

Quite the change from when Harper bolted the PCs and attacked Mulroney relentlessly in the 1990s.

One would almost forget how angry Harper was with Mulroney that the man helped create a party just to defeat him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Harper

He became chief aide to Progressive Conservative MP Jim Hawkes in 1985, but later became disillusioned with both the party and the government of Brian Mulroney. Harper was especially critical of the Mulroney government's fiscal policy, and its inability to fully revoke the NEP until 1986. He left the PC Party that same year.

Where's the anger in that. He may well have been enraged for that matter, but your link doesn't say that. People leave parties quite regularly to join different ones. Leaving to start a brand new party is uncommon.

To inject some honesty he left to help start a new party. Reform was Manning's baby, Harper was just along for the ride.

Where's the anger in that. He may well have been enraged for that matter, but your link doesn't say that. People leave parties quite regularly to join different ones. Leaving to start a brand new party is uncommon.

The praise Harper lavished on Mulroney doesn't mention what differences Harper had with Mulroney. Must have been something, don't you think? Happy people don't make speeches and contribute articles that repeatedly said Mulroney was wrong.

Harper was also credited with the phrase, "the west wants in."

http://www.cbc.ca/canadavotes/analysiscomm...tern_clout.html

What did that mean as it pertains to Mulroney?

............and Martin and Chretien were the best of pals.

They were the most vociferous of enemies at the end. For a while, they had one of the stronger finance minister and PM relationships that the country has ever seen.

Martin and Chretien never left the Liberal party because they were upset though.

They may not have left, but their bitter feud did untold damage. Chretien stayed on for the last election JUST to make Martin wait for the reins of power. Also, party members tended to choose between the two to support instead of having a unified party. Maybe one of them should have left!

They may not have left, but their bitter feud did untold damage. Chretien stayed on for the last election JUST to make Martin wait for the reins of power. Also, party members tended to choose between the two to support instead of having a unified party. Maybe one of them should have left!

I've always thought Chretien stayed on one election too many.

However, getting back the subject, neither man left the party and split the party vote so that they were reduced to two seats.

Reform was Manning's baby, Harper was just along for the ride.

Exactly. He merely used the Reform Party to boost his career.

Harper was a rightwing idealogue and opportunist who had no interest in accountability, democratic reform or populism. His subsequent turn at the helm has shown no inclination toward empowering people at the grassroots, or improving governance and accountability, or anything Preston Manning stood for.

Harper is a professional flip-flop. Go "google" Stephen Harper and read how he was a Lib under Trudeau, then switch to PC followed by Reformer, Alliance and ????? where next???

I dunno. He seems to have settled for the moment. I'm pretty sure he won't become a Marijuana Party follower this week anyway. Is this supposed to be a real question?

Harper is a professional flip-flop. Go "google" Stephen Harper and read how he was a Lib under Trudeau, then switch to PC followed by Reformer, Alliance and ????? where next???

I dunno. He seems to have settled for the moment. I'm pretty sure he won't become a Marijuana Party follower this week anyway. Is this supposed to be a real question?

Wasn't everyone a Liberal under Trudeau? I was a Liberal under Trudeau, and when Trudeau returns, I will be a Liberal again.

Think about Trudeau for a second.....if he wasn't afraid to call out the army against domestic terrorists....how would he have handled a foreign threat?

I will never forget my absolute disgust watching Mulroney and Reagan sing Irish eyes are smiling on a stage in Quebec.

Both claiming to be Irish I guess, it wasn't even an Irish song. And yes, Harper wants to be a totla prime minister no matter what he has to say and do and then Canadians you will get what you are asking for so watch out.

From red to blue to green to blue: One more colour change and he'll be flying the rainbow flag in the gay pride parade.