Williams Trusts Dion

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070421/...l/williams_dion

Dion and Williams met today in St. John's and talked generally about several issues, including equalization and the province's fisheries, after which Williams said Dion is a man he can trust.

The pair said they didn't intend to reach any formal agreements, but rather open a dialogue that would continue if Dion is elected prime minister.

Williams has threatened to campaign against Prime Minister Stephen Harper in the next election over Ottawa's handling of the fiscal imbalance, but says he hasn't committed to actively campaign for Dion.

Given Williams' popularity, this helps Dion in that province.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams hates Harper, so is it any surprise that he comes out in support of Harper's politcal competitor? Williams is playing a dangerous game that would come back to bite him if the Tories win a majority in the next election. And the chances of Dion winning anything are pretty small.

Williams hates Harper, so is it any surprise that he comes out in support of Harper's politcal competitor? Williams is playing a dangerous game that would come back to bite him if the Tories win a majority in the next election. And the chances of Dion winning anything are pretty small.

Williams will remain popular as long as he plays against the federal government.

As far as Tories winning a majority, not according to any polls recently.

Williams will remain popular as long as he plays against the federal government.

Just those polls you have "seen" The Ipsos Reid poll on Thursday puts the Conservatives at 39%. But I thought 40% was the level for a majority. So one point of isn't close?

Open your eyes.

Just those polls you have "seen" The Ipsos Reid poll on Thursday puts the Conservatives at 39%. But I thought 40% was the level for a majority. So one point of isn't close?

Open your eyes.

I know I haven't been around long in this world, but in my entire life, I've never seen so much inconsistency in the polls about the federal parties as I have these days. One day there's a 20% gap coming from one polling agency, the next there is a 3% difference from another. All I know, is that the same agencies who predicted leaps and bounds majority territory for the Cons in the last election seem to be the same ones who keep coming up with the 20% gap these days. That's a sigh of relief for me. :)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070421/...l/williams_dion
Dion and Williams met today in St. John's and talked generally about several issues, including equalization and the province's fisheries, after which Williams said Dion is a man he can trust.

The pair said they didn't intend to reach any formal agreements, but rather open a dialogue that would continue if Dion is elected prime minister.

Williams has threatened to campaign against Prime Minister Stephen Harper in the next election over Ottawa's handling of the fiscal imbalance, but says he hasn't committed to actively campaign for Dion.

Given Williams' popularity, this helps Dion in that province.

Williams is a boob who would hump his own sister if he thought it would make him popular. He and that idiot shooter from Virginia Tech are in the same category for me...stop giving these idiots publicity!!!

Dion could care less about NFLD, Dion just wants to lead and continue the Liberal tradition of doing nothing for the people, but stay popular while doing it!

Williams is a boob who would hump his own sister if he thought it would make him popular. He and that idiot shooter from Virginia Tech are in the same category for me...stop giving these idiots publicity!!!

Dion could care less about NFLD, Dion just wants to lead and continue the Liberal tradition of doing nothing for the people, but stay popular while doing it!

Same category as the shooter in Virginia? Yeesh. And I thought Williams overflowed at the mouth.

As far as the rest of your rant on the Liberals, Dion has said he would remain committed to the Atlantic Accord. It was the Tories that reneged on that deal.

No oil companies,no oil production.

No oil production,no jobs.

No jobs,no prosperity.

No prosperity,no popularity.

No popularity,no Williams.

I don't disagree that this is essential for popularity. However, Williams is now at 94% popularity because he is going toe to toe with the Feds.

I don't disagree that this is essential for popularity. However, Williams is now at 94% popularity because he is going toe to toe with the Feds.

Dion was about the same in popularity just after he got his leadership nod.

Quite the pair. Committing to nothing because Williams knows Doin will never be a PM.

Dion was about the same in popularity just after he got his leadership nod.

Quite the pair. Committing to nothing because Williams knows Doin will never be a PM.

I can't recall Dion ever having that high a level of popularity.

And at the moment, it doesn't look Harper will get his majority.

I think you summed it up nicely.

Williams stance is meaningless. He'll always be against whatever party is in power.

Canuck E Stan Posted Yesterday, 10:43 PM

No oil companies,no oil production.

No oil production,no jobs.

No jobs,no prosperity.

No prosperity,no popularity.

No popularity,no Williams.

There are three projects in production right now and they will be for the next 20 years, the only project waiting to be developed is Hebron, and it will be developed when a deal can be reached to deliever the maxium benefits to Newfoundland and Labrador. Untill that time comes the oil can stay in the ground.

Williams is playing hardball, using a precedent set long ago by Peter Lougheed. Come hell or high water, Lougheed fought the Feds for every ounce of Alberta resource, and the premier of Newfoundland is doing the same. One look at the resultant coffers in Alberta and it's plain that hardball works.

Williams is playing hardball, using a precedent set long ago by Peter Lougheed. Come hell or high water, Lougheed fought the Feds for every ounce of Alberta resource, and the premier of Newfoundland is doing the same. One look at the resultant coffers in Alberta and it's plain that hardball works.

Completely inaccurate.

Lougheed agreed to some concessions with the Feds before Trudeau imposed the NEP. Which meant that Alberta was willing to pay more than it's fair share INTO equalization.

Williams' latest little fight is an attempt to get more than Newfoundland's fair share OUT OF Equalization.

Let's take a look at the "resultant" coffers in Alberta. The NEP, coupled with other factors, lead to a huge recession in Alberta. Alberta faced more than a decade of deficits. Deficits that Klein dealt with, in the rare bright spot of his career, with massive spending cuts and a slim surplus.

The mega surpluses of today have nothing to do with Peter Lougheed.

I think you summed it up nicely.

Williams stance is meaningless. He'll always be against whatever party is in power.

It has proved to be a winning strategy for Newfoundland premiers. I don't know if his stance is meaningless if he targets Tory ridings for defeat.

Given his 94% support, he is a formidable force.

Dion best be careful here. Making friends with Williams is dangerous at best. As soon as Dion doesn't give a massively favourable deal to Newfoundland (nothing is good for Williams mind you, that's why he has double digit unemployment and undeveloped oil and gas), Dion will be in Harper's spot.

Williams is an irrational mouthpeice at best. When I see him deliver some results to his people, instead of blaming everything on Ottawa/Harper/Martin/ect., then I'll change my tune about him.

Dion best be careful here. Making friends with Williams is dangerous at best. As soon as Dion doesn't give a massively favourable deal to Newfoundland (nothing is good for Williams mind you, that's why he has double digit unemployment and undeveloped oil and gas), Dion will be in Harper's spot.

Williams is an irrational mouthpeice at best. When I see him deliver some results to his people, instead of blaming everything on Ottawa/Harper/Martin/ect., then I'll change my tune about him.

So far the only commitment Dion has made is to keep the Atlantic Accord. There will always be something for Williams to attack on but that one is his biggie at the moment.

The Atlantic Accord won't be good enough, you wait and see, it's Williams style.

... someone gives an offer to drill, Williams accepts it, six months later he figures it's not a good deal, askes for more, and more.... repeat previous steps and you'll arrive at the reason for Newfoundland's lack of prosperity.

It's all Williams fault, no one elses. If Alberta turn away all the oil companies tomorrow, would the rest of Canada have sympathy?

Same category as the shooter in Virginia? Yeesh. And I thought Williams overflowed at the mouth.

As far as the rest of your rant on the Liberals, Dion has said he would remain committed to the Atlantic Accord. It was the Tories that reneged on that deal.

The Tories did not renege on that deal, that is just media spin, but you're a left winger so why would I expect less.

Williams is a loud mouth pain in the ass and wants media face time. If Williams was any good, the Newfies would not have 15% unemployment!

The Tories did not renege on that deal, that is just media spin, but you're a left winger so why would I expect less.

Williams is a loud mouth pain in the ass and wants media face time. If Williams was any good, the Newfies would not have 15% unemployment!

And you're a right winger so you won't even look at the independent study that says that Newfoundland would make better under the Atlantic Accord?