Barking at the stone wall.

It sems to me that Ontario is once again trying to get something they want for nothing by barking at a stone wall. Every single day their premier stands up and tells the Federal government that Canada should ban weapons. The shooting at Virginia technical once again has the premeir standing up and screaming that "It's not fair!". As horrible as the killings were, it wasn't the gun that killed the people, it was the mentally unstable kid that pointed the gun and pulled the trigger. We have more people killed by cars and knives than guns, yet we still allow cars and knives in our society and no one ever complains and orders they be removed.

Listen people, if you want to ban weapons, then inact provincial laws to get rid of guns. Why should it be a Federal law when you have the power within the provincial regulations to ban weapons. Thinking for two seconds that banning weapons of any kind in the West wouldn't force the start of a break up of the confederation, then you need to look at what's going on in the West. Even this Ontario born and raised boy sees the problems with trying to ban guns in the west where they are actually used for animal control and protection from animals that hunt humans. Cougars and Grizzlies actually enjoy human flesh.

So if Attorney General Michael Bryant wants to put his own laws in place with the blessing of brillant the Premier Dalton McGuinty, I say go for it, but stop beating a dead horse as the West doesn't want to play your game. They need guns for protection, not killing off local gang members like Toronto has happening. So if you are part of the church chior Bryant and McGuinty have all round up, sing the blues to the Ontario government to get it's law writers together and make your own provincial law. The rest of Canada doesn't care.

Listen people, if you want to ban weapons, then inact provincial laws to get rid of guns.

How do you propose that when it seems it is your constitutional right to own firearms?

"Do Canadians have the right to firearms ownership? The English Bill of Rights provided the right to English citizens. The preamble to the British North America Act extended that right to Canadians. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guaranteed the continuation of these rights."

http://www.cufoa.ca/2.html

This it appears, is a federal issue not provincial.

Listen people, if you want to ban weapons, then inact provincial laws to get rid of guns.

How do you propose that when it seems it is your constitutional right to own firearms?

"Do Canadians have the right to firearms ownership? The English Bill of Rights provided the right to English citizens. The preamble to the British North America Act extended that right to Canadians. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guaranteed the continuation of these rights."

http://www.cufoa.ca/2.html

This it appears, is a federal issue not provincial.

Perhaps in the same manner as the City I live in bans the use of firearms within the city limits. I'm no lawyer, nor would I want to be, but I'm sure those people can come up with a well written law that will ban fire arms within City and town limits throughout Ontario.

Perhaps in the same manner as the City I live in bans the use of firearms within the city limits. I'm no lawyer, nor would I want to be, but I'm sure those people can come up with a well written law that will ban fire arms within City and town limits throughout Ontario.

You just said two different things. You said ban the use, and ban fire arms.

You just said two different things. You said ban the use, and ban fire arms.

I'm sayng that Ontario, according to the leadership, has a huge problem with gang wars happening on the streets. With that in mind, they want to ban firearms from all of Canada. That just won't happen because of the Wests obvious distaste for anything Ottawa has to say about guns. Would it not make more sense for the Premier to have his law makers write a provincial law that bans firearms from city and town areas? The Charter of Rights and freedoms is not what people here think it is. It was wrote to have holes. I'm sure enough holes can be found to give the province control over guns without impacting the rest of Canada.

I was also told that the majority of the guns crime occur with handguns, yet the registry shows near zero the amount of weapons used in crime were actually registered. The RCMP admits that 99% of the weapons used in crime are either reported stolen without being registered, or were brought into Canada through illegal means. Instead of putting money into a registry that doesn't actually control firearms that are illegal, perhaps place additional assets into border guards and search more cargo and vehicles crossing into Canada. I also think giving gang members and criminals additional time without parole for crimes involving firearms is a much better idea. I also think a minimum of 7 years without parole for having in your possesion a firearm that you are not licensed for would go a long way to fixing our problem. Pissing off the West is not the right answer.

the rest of Canada.

I was also told that the majority of the guns crime occur with handguns, yet the registry shows near zero the amount of weapons used in crime were actually registered.

The registry isn't for hand guns

I'm sayng that Ontario, according to the leadership, has a huge problem with gang wars happening on the streets.

I have not heard this, and I live in the city. If Mcguinty is saying it, he is not telling the truth. Ontario has the lowest crime rate in the country, followed by Quebec. Perhaps he meant Man Sask Alta and BC? I am kidding of course but one "could " make that point. See level 1-3 assaults (using a gun) in the link.

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/Legal04b.htm

With that in mind, they want to ban firearms from all of Canada. That just won't happen because of the Wests obvious distaste for anything Ottawa has to say about guns.

I suspect it matches the easts' view .

Would it not make more sense for the Premier to have his law makers write a provincial law that bans firearms from city and town areas?

No then you make criminals out of people who are doing nothing more than going for a drive , should a gun be in the trunk. Maybe they have to go to the gun range and cannot bypass the town with the ordnance.

I was also told that the majority of the guns crime occur with handguns, yet the registry shows near zero the amount of weapons used in crime were actually registered. The RCMP admits that 99% of the weapons used in crime are either reported stolen without being registered, or were brought into Canada through illegal means.

Robberies using firearms = 18% (1998)

Instead of putting money into a registry that doesn't actually control firearms that are illegal, perhaps place additional assets into border guards and search more cargo and vehicles crossing into Canada. I also think giving gang members and criminals additional time without parole for crimes involving firearms is a much better idea. I also think a minimum of 7 years without parole for having in your possesion a firearm that you are not licensed for would go a long way to fixing our problem. Pissing off the ANYONE is not the right answer.

Agreed....once I changed one word.

'Fat Freddie' date='Apr 18 2007, 03:45 PM' post='209448']

I'm sayng that Ontario, according to the leadership, has a huge problem with gang wars happening on the streets. With that in mind, they want to ban firearms from all of Canada. That just won't happen because of the Wests obvious distaste for anything Ottawa has to say about guns. Would it not make more sense for the Premier to have his law makers write a provincial law that bans firearms from city and town areas? The Charter of Rights and freedoms is not what people here think it is. It was wrote to have holes. I'm sure enough holes can be found to give the province control over guns without impacting the rest of Canada.

If there is a problem with gangs, then ban the gangs. Banning fire arms is one definition of a police state. The people should wise up to politicians who call for banning fire arms and toss them out. The proper solution here is right to carry laws like they have done in most of the states.