Harper Accuses Liberals of

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/187460

OTTAWA–Prime Minister Stephen Harper appeared to take some liberty with facts yesterday to allege patronage charges against two Liberal women MPs from Montreal.

The facts though are that Mulroney made one of the appointments and the other appointment was made before the wife of appointee was elected.

In fact, Robillard's ex-husband, Jacques Lasalle, was appointed to the board in 1990 when Brian Mulroney was prime minister, and Jennings' husband, Luciano del Negro, joined the board in 1996, before his wife was first elected to the Commons in 1997.

All of this was to divert from Harper's own appointments to the refugee board.

Moreover, the Tories are sticking to the story that the Liberals never paid for their flights despite all the cancelled checks that prove they did.

Liberals are also angry that Conservatives seem to be getting bolder about publicly stating mistruths about them. In the Fredericton Gleaner yesterday, Harper's communications director, Sandra Buckler, was quoted as saying: "The former Liberal government never reimbursed Canadian taxpayers when they used the Challenger (government jet) for non-government business."

In fact, Liberals produced reams of cancelled cheques and receipts yesterday from former prime minister Paul Martin, reimbursing the federal treasury.

Harper has made dozens (if not hundreds) of patronage appointments already and he hasn't paid his jet bills. Nothing new about that, the Conservatives are bunch of lying scum. When someone points out how they are abusing their powers, they are only capable of responding with accusations, lies and personal attacks.

Yea well what are you gonna do.

Other than hang around and wait for the "oh but the Liberals did much worse and you didnt complain then " crowd .

Sandra Buckler = Tony Snow in a dress and high heels.

And really, what is so funny is that most Liberals, nay people of this country, realize that Dion is a bad choice and Harper would do so much better if he just told his whole caucus and anyone remotely connected to the CPC to shut up and say nothing to anyone on anything. The lead Harp has,( substantial but meaningless ) would have ballooned thru the roof, but he must be too dumb to realize it and seems stuck on pay back . Sign of an idiot frankly.

I don't know why Stephen Harper likes to play the part of the hatchet man. I was howling when the media reported he got this one wrong. Perhaps he is of the opinion, if you throw enough ..IT some of it is going to stick, whether fact or fiction.

I think that Harper hopes the original message or accusation is the one that gets heard and that people will not hear about the correction the next day. Certainly there is no apologies.

I suppose he can say he learned this from the Liberals and is now using it himself. However, at some point, it made the Liberals look bad. I can see it happening to him as well. Respect for being decisive and not backing down eventually comes to be regarded as arrogant and muleheaded. Witness one George Bush.

And really, what is so funny is that most Liberals, nay people of this country, realize that Dion is a bad choice and Harper would do so much better if he just told his whole caucus and anyone remotely connected to the CPC to shut up and say nothing to anyone on anything. The lead Harp has,( substantial but meaningless ) would have ballooned thru the roof, but he must be too dumb to realize it and seems stuck on pay back . Sign of an idiot frankly.

I think the jury is still out on Dion. Certainly he is not performing any worse than Chretien did in Opposition.

Yea well what are you gonna do.

Other than hang around and wait for the "oh but the Liberals did much worse and you didnt complain then " crowd .

Sandra Buckler = Tony Snow in a dress and high heels.

Well said. Harper's promise of "cleaning up the Governent" has died a quick death. He refuses to answer the bulk of questions put to him in Question Period, and instead reverts to bashing the entire Liberal party with cheap shot come-backs. His school yard bullying tactics as of late clearly indicate that he enjoys the journey down the low road. For those reasons he lost all credibility with me, and quite possibly with a great deal of Canadians.

For those reasons he lost all credibility with me, and quite possibly with a great deal of Canadians.

Who cares about him losing credibility with you.You're a die hard Liberal,who would vote for Kyoto the dog if he was a Liberal leader.

Lost credibility with Canadians, I think not. That's why Harper and the CPC popularity is going up.

Dion will have the shortest term ever as a Liberal leader.

The Liberals will pay dearly for their mistake in picking this "loser" in the next election, and in turn will have to wait 5 years before they can try it again. They had a better choice and blew it.

Lost credibility with Canadians, I think not. That's why Harper and the CPC popularity is going up.

The Liberals will pay dearly for their mistake in picking this "loser" in the next election, and in turn will have to wait 5 years before they can try it again. They had a better choice and blew it.

If Dion needs no help from Harper to defeat him, why does Harper assert things like he did about the two Liberal MPs from Montreal? Clearly neither MP was involved in the appointments of their spouses to the Immigration Board and yet Harper says they did. Why the lie?

Moreover, even after the Liberals turned over information about flights paid for, the PMO says they never paid.

For those reasons he lost all credibility with me, and quite possibly with a great deal of Canadians.

Who cares about him losing credibility with you.You're a die hard Liberal,who would vote for Kyoto the dog if he was a Liberal leader.

Actually your second first point is incorrect. You see, unlike most CPCer's I pick and choose. Your reference to my voting for a dog is classic Harperish belittling. Bravo!

I guess we have to wait and see about the future. Also unlike the CPCer's I will give Dion a chance.

I guess we have to wait and see about the future. Also unlike the CPCer's I will give Dion a chance.

You would never give Harper a chance, because being a Liberal means never having to say you're sorry.....for having picked a leader who will be the shortest term leader in Liberal history.

Go ahead, give Dion a chance, be one of the few,the brave, but better start thinking of who really can lead the Liberal party back to the forefront. It sure as hell won't be Dion.

Then if someone accuses Harper of something that you know to be incorrect, you have no problem with it.

Let's see how it's played out, we don't know if it's incorrect.A Liberal politician saying it's incorrect just doesn't mean much to most Canadians.We've been given the gears from you guys for years.

Don't know why I bother but I didn't vote Liberal in the last Federal election. In my view Harper has blown it with his lack of credibilty, from Emerson to Bains to global warming flip flop to Dion's negative ads. He sucked a lot of voters in and I can only hope they begin to see him as he really is.

Let's see how it's played out, we don't know if it's incorrect.A Liberal politician saying it's incorrect just doesn't mean much to most Canadians.We've been given the gears from you guys for years.

And now Harper is doing it himself. It didn't take rocket science to show that two Liberal MPs didn't promote their spouses to the Immigration Board.

It certainly makes people cynical. I thought Liberal accusations like this is the past were stupid. I continue to think that such baseless accusations are stupid.

Don't know why I bother but I didn't vote Liberal in the last Federal election. In my view Harper has blown it with his lack of credibilty, from Emerson to Bains to global warming flip flop to Dion's negative ads. He sucked a lot of voters in and I can only hope they begin to see him as he really is.

I've seen what Liberals are, and that scares the hell out of me. After one year of Harper, I'm ready to give him another vote, hopefully he gets a majority. I've said this before, if he fucks screws up, he won't get my vote again. But one year is not enough time to judge,especially in a minority government.I'll give him more a chance ,hopefully one majority mandate. Right now there is no one else I would give my vote to.....especially Dion...he's a total loser in my book.

You would never give Harper a chance...

We gave him a chance. He completely wasted it. He has shown that he is just as corrupt as the previous Liberal government - he appointed unelected friends to cabinet the moment he was elected, he bought MPs to cross the floor, he made numerous political appointments. He is running a disfunctional government, that produces nothing other than ridiculous QP scenes. He continues to be a lying bully that makes false accusations in the hope that the mud will stick, whether real or fabricated. It didn't look good when he was in opposition, it looks much worse when he is the PM. He has decided that earning votes is too hard for him, so he's just going to buy them - even if it means screwing up the financial affairs of the country. I didn't expect much from him but I never imagined that he'd turn out to be such scum. Given his similarities to Bush and Harris, I should have expected it - I suppose I was in denial.

Harper is complete scum, I don't really think he's that bad of a guy. I mean the only people that really use those harshest of terms are people who can't really apply any real criticism.

You would never give Harper a chance, because being a Liberal means never having to say you're sorry.....for having picked a leader who will be the shortest term leader in Liberal history.

Go ahead, give Dion a chance, be one of the few,the brave, but better start thinking of who really can lead the Liberal party back to the forefront. It sure as hell won't be Dion.

Things can drastically change, I'm waiting to see what happens in the next election.

You should know about elections, it's all part of the political game. Winner takes all.

Then if someone accuses Harper of something that you know to be incorrect, you have no problem with it.

Beautiful!

I can't wait to see what the response to this will be.... :)

This is the type of play book they are operating from, one sees it in play here every time they do not want to discuss anything that is fact a proves Harper and the CPC for the crinminal liars they are.

While the Liberals were quite effective in making Preston Manning, Stockewell Day, and Stephen Harper look like scary leaders, the link you provided definitely outlines the styles used in the US.

I do see that that is the style that the Prime Minister wants to lead his party by, and that a handful of others within the party are picking up on these style of attacks. While not unusual for biased forum posters to play attack dog, and fog up the issue, it is different from previous Conservative governments in the use of these tactics inside and out of parliment.

If that is the way politics is going to be, it is going to go further downhill then it already is.

I think the jury is still out on Dion. Certainly he is not performing any worse than Chretien did in Opposition.

Oh, that's promising. Chretien was a disaster as PM. It was under his watch that health care collapsed even while he was boasting about it being a sacred trust.