Are we witnessing the death of the Parti Québécois?

As Dubuc also notes, there is something rabid about the effect this frustration has on PQ militants. They truly do eat their own, while refusing to face their true problems directly. It's a form of cognitive dissonance.
As a bankruptcy lawyer, I will tell you that in a failing business, many companies do eat their own. No different here. It's always easier to snipe at a partisan rival than address real, substantive, deep-seated problems. The problem here is that many Quebeckers want badly to retain the benefits of membership in Canada, even if they want independence. Sort of like a 16 year old who wants to move out, with Daddy paying the rent.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Federalism should mean that Quebecers are welcome anywhere in the country because indeed, all of it is their home.

Sovereignty and autonomy are vaguely defined terms used by those parties that know that the majority of Quebec are federalists. It doesn't sound as threatening as separation.

Your vaguely defined federalism is even more utopic, or ideological.

Canada will never be country where its citizens feel comfortable everywhere, and I don't think I'd want such a country anyway.

For most Quebecers, Canada will at most be an administrative structure that is useful for government. As Churchill described India, "it is a geographic term like the equator". I frankly see no harm in this and instead see something to our credit. People in northern North America get along.

My vaguely defined idea of federalism has been the policy of Canada for decades now. I think many Quebecers are proud Canadians and don't think as narrowly as you describe.

• 2 weeks later...

The past week has been a roller coaster - a Russian or American Mountain - for the PQ.

I don't want to inflict more French text on posters here but I'll provide this short quote and link for those who can read French. This is the lead editorial in La Presse today:

Le drame historique du Parti québécois est de n'avoir jamais, ni par élection ni par référendum, été capable de concilier l'offre claire de l'indépendance et l'accès démocratique à la possibilité de la déclarer.
Gesco

[The quote above states that the PQ has never been able to win, as Americans would say, fair and square.]

This is just an editorial opinion, possibly paid for. But it's also a defendable opinion, and rather typical of opinion in Quebec. The PQ is moribund and I don't know if Marois can resurrect it.

When Marois said that there would not be a referendum during a first mandate, she gave up the ghost. Heck, when Parizeau let Bouchard into the deal and talked of lobsters, he too gave it up. The PQ has lost its raison d'être. It has only to be reborn, as in Canada's past, in a different form.

My vaguely defined idea of federalism has been the policy of Canada for decades now. I think many Quebecers are proud Canadians and don't think as narrowly as you describe.
I'll disagree.

Canada works best when people are not forced to choose between Canada and their 'country'.

I'll disagree.

Canada works best when people are not forced to choose between Canada and their 'country'.

That could probably be said for Quebec as well. I'm sure the First Nations and various municipalities would be happy to have to their choice to go where they will if it ever came down to it.

Gesco

[The quote above states that the PQ has never been able to win, as Americans would say, fair and square.]

This is just an editorial opinion, possibly paid for. But it's also a defendable opinion, and rather typical of opinion in Quebec. The PQ is moribund and I don't know if Marois can resurrect it.

When Marois said that there would not be a referendum during a first mandate, she gave up the ghost. Heck, when Parizeau let Bouchard into the deal and talked of lobsters, he too gave it up. The PQ has lost its raison d'être. It has only to be reborn, as in Canada's past, in a different form.

(snip)

Remember, Levesque won in 1976 on a good government, not separation, platform.

• 9 months later...
The party that brought us two sovereignty referendums finally woke up and smelled the federalist coffee. At a Parti Québécois convention in Saint-Hyacinthe last weekend, an effusive and tearful Pauline Marois presided over her party’s biggest policy shift in years — PQ members voted to drop a promise to hold a third sovereignty referendum as soon as possible once elected.

In any event, the prospects for a sovereign Quebec have hit a historic low. Despite Pauline Marois’s tears of joy, the PQ’s decision to focus on the discourse of sovereignty as opposed to the “means and strategy for achieving independence” is a victory for Canadian unity.

National Post

Marois has moved the PQ to the right and she has gotten rid of the referendum requirement. Marois is trying to turn the PQ into the ADQ - but with a blonde-haired (dyed) French woman in charge.

I suppose this represents the official death of the PQ, even if many péquistes view these changes as a renouveau. (Even a federalist views this as a comeback.)

Stephen Harper (a WASP no less) deserves some credit.

----

Is this French sovereignist dragon slayed? No. Canada is a wonderful country because it combines black and white, truth and beauty, honesty and intrigue. We are a multicultural country because our anthem has different versions.

Like the Arctic Circle, Canada is a geographic definition. There are many ways to be Canadian - just as there are many ways to live north of the 49th parallel.

Edited by August1991