Marijuana In Canada

Hello!

I am a Canadian citizen living in the U.S. I follow Canadian politics when I can and always try to catch up on the happenings of my home Country.

Anyway, I remember a while back that marijuana was legal in Canada.

Is there a legal amount?

Can anyone grow it?

Is it for medical use only? If so, does anyone know what steps one would take to become a supplier to the Canadian medical industry?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

UO

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah but i think he means getting a permit to grow it for the medical industry. I would think that would be a very difficult thing.

I dont think mj is very widely prescribed by any doctors anyway.

as for the driving thing, I can tell you that is a big problem around here for sure, but it doesnt matter if its legal or not, its doesnt impact the problem at all. The people who want to do it will do it regardless.

What I'm scared of is people driving high on the roads, so now everyone is in danger.

Well no one is interested in making that legal...however driving a car is not an inherrent part of smoking pot...although according to recent anti-drug adds, sitting on pete's coach is. For that matter 10,000 people die every year in the U.S due to the use of non-prescription medicines. Its dissapointing that we cannot bring Pot into the realm of government regulations.

What I'm scared of is people driving high on the roads, so now everyone is in danger.

I remember my friend driving high once. That 30kph in a 60kph zone he was doing sure was dangerous. :lol:

But in all seriousness you are right, Marijuana is a mind altering substance and impairs judgment, and should be treated in a similar, but less harsh, manner as Alcohol and driving.

yeah but i think he means getting a permit to grow it for the medical industry. I would think that would be a very difficult thing.

I dont think mj is very widely prescribed by any doctors anyway.

as for the driving thing, I can tell you that is a big problem around here for sure, but it doesnt matter if its legal or not, its doesnt impact the problem at all. The people who want to do it will do it regardless.

I know a guy who is trying to get a medical permit to grow his own.

• 4 months later...

Arrests have really spiked since the bill to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana was killed.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/pot_arrests_spike

The number of people arrested for smoking pot rose dramatically in several Canadian cities last year after the Conservatives took office and killed a bill to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana.

The spike in arrests for simple possession of cannabis appears in data compiled by The Canadian Press from municipal police forces through interviews and Access to Information Act requests.

National statistics will only be released next week but preliminary figures suggest the number of arrests jumped by more than one-third in several Canadian cities.

Seems like a waste of resources going after these type of offenses.

Moreover, enforcement is inconsistent.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070708/...t_you_re_busted

Marc-Boris St-Maurice has been arrested so many times for marijuana possession that he serves as a one-man clinical study in the fate reserved for those caught with small amounts of pot.

The study's theme would be inconsistency.

The Montreal pot activist has been arrested about seven times and on a handful of other occasions he's been left alone by police without so much as a slap on the wrist.

His mishmash of experiences with authority offers a glimpse into a law whose application appears at best erratic, and at worst improvised and arbitrary.

Arrests have really spokes since the bill to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana was killed.

Yet another dishonest post and misleading representation of an article.

Here is the headline.

Pot busts surge in some cities now that decriminalization bill's dead

Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa and Halifax all reported increases of between 20 and 50 per cent in 2006, while Montreal and Calgary saw their number of arrests dip a few percentage points from the previous year.

Guess it depends where you live as to whether or not arrests have spiked.

The some in the title of the article makes all the difference in the world.

Although I don't smoke much pot these days, I know many people who would rather smoke a joint or 2 after a hard days work then drink a beer, smoke a cigar, or any of the other legal/illegal substances that people use to unwind with. Most, not all, but most will NOT drive while stoned (just like some people will drive drunk). They see it as no different from driving drunk.

The pot laws we have now (and their inconsistant enforcement) are a joke. If people want to smoke it and do not endanger others while doing so, what is it to me?

You people seem to be uninformed on Marijuana.

There are no studies indicating marijuana impairs anyone enough to affect their driving.

In fact Proffessors who lecture on it due to medical use, chronic use, are said to do better than those who don't!

Prof deserves better and Students defend Prof

http://www.excal.on.ca/index.php?option=co...d=2737&Itemid=2

Yet another dishonest post and misleading representation of an article.

Here is the headline.

Pot busts surge in some cities now that decriminalization bill's dead

Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa and Halifax all reported increases of between 20 and 50 per cent in 2006, while Montreal and Calgary saw their number of arrests dip a few percentage points from the previous year.

Yet another dishonest post response. My highlighted quote mentions several cities.

The next quotes includes inconsistency in how the law is applied.

Try to read what is included in the post next time.

A bit off topic, but industrial hemp can be grown in Canada, can't it? The good ole U.S. of A. won't allow it. I guess they're afraid someone will roll up a shirt and smoke it.

Industrial hemp has been grown for a while in Canada.

Since 1961, marijuana was also grown for research purposes.

Medicinal marijuana is grown in Manitoba in an old mine. It has been in place since 1990 and supplies 700 people with severe illness.

A bit off topic, but industrial hemp can be grown in Canada, can't it? The good ole U.S. of A. won't allow it. I guess they're afraid someone will roll up a shirt and smoke it.

The principle opposition to the legalization of marijuana in the USA comes not from the fact that people smoke it. That's part of it, but the primary impetus came from the oil industry (hemp-ethanol as a competitor to oil) and the pharmaceutical industry (pot as a competitor to big pharma for selling happiness).

It was big oil that got pot made illegal in 1927.

Just FYI

Around 1670, intendant Jean Talon, in an effect to revitalize industry in Canada, ordered that hemp be grown in large quantities in order to make sails and ropes. Over the centuries, this practice was abandonned, but a lot of hemp has grown wild all over the place. According to those who now use it for reasons unsuspected in the 17th century, it is supposed to be of very good quality.

I have also heard (but not verified) that in the U.S. Mexican workers were reputed to be lazy; this was attributed to the fact that they smoked marijuana. By making it illegal, this was alleged tp increase their productivity.

Today, this would be called discrimination.

(Can anyone confirm this?)

I doubt that a few percentage points decrease in Calgary & Montreal is going to make up for the 20-50% increase in Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa & Halifax.

I'd have to see more statistics, but based on those numbers I'd bet that in Canada, arrests have gone up considerably.

I doubt that a few percentage points decrease in Calgary & Montreal is going to make up for the 20-50% increase in Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa & Halifax.

I'd have to see more statistics, but based on those numbers I'd bet that in Canada, arrests have gone up considerably.

It would seem we are going to see a lot more arrests if this story is correct.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/07/09/...a-cannabis.html

Canadians use marijuana at four times the world average, making Canada the leader of the industrialized world in cannabis consumption, a recent United Nations report found.

The 2007 World Drug Report by the UN Office on Drugs and Crime says that 16.8 per cent of Canadians aged 15 to 64 smoked marijuana or used another cannabis product in 2006. The world average is 3.8 per cent.

In the report, Canada ranks fifth in the world for marijuana use, behind Ghana at 21.5 per cent, Zambia, 17.7 per cent, and Papua New Guinea and Micronesia with 29 per cent each.

Cannabis accounts for the bulk of global drug use, consumed by 160 million people.

The principle opposition to the legalization of marijuana in the USA comes not from the fact that people smoke it. That's part of it, but the primary impetus came from the oil industry (hemp-ethanol as a competitor to oil) and the pharmaceutical industry (pot as a competitor to big pharma for selling happiness).

It was big oil that got pot made illegal in 1927.

Those are interesting tidbits I didn't know. Why am I not surprised? I thought there might be a turnaround on industrial hemp in the U.S. for fuel, but apparently not under the current regime.