The Environment Bill

I wonder what the deficit would be if Layton got in? He'd have to bring in some of his priorities with him, i'd say quite a few priorities would stay.

That is what I am wondering. If Layton were to be given the Environment post what NDP priorities would he sacrifice and for how long?

What issues would be non-starters, and what would be the first to be sacrificed?

This would be a very interesting venture.

I wonder what the deficit would be if Layton got in?

Non-existent? Manitoba has had an NDP government for nearly eight years and haven't run a deficit yet. They've reduced taxes though.

But Layton likes to promise and what not, the Manitoba NDP isn't extravagant like the feds are. the roads in manitoba are garbage though, plus if your an industry requesting funding then forget it.

I can see the NDP even gaining some seats, they can campaign on their accomplishments again. I can see if it's going to be a minority parliament again the NDP will benefit. If polls suggest majority, they will become irrelevant.

At the moment, I think the Green Party might eat the NDP's lunch.

Non-existent? Manitoba has had an NDP government for nearly eight years and haven't run a deficit yet. They've reduced taxes though.

All true and all commendable. I think it helped the NDP win their second majority.

As far as the next election goes, the Crocus collapse and creaking infrastructure and a desire for change might conspire to deny the NDP a third majority.

I can see the NDP even gaining some seats, they can campaign on their accomplishments again. I can see if it's going to be a minority parliament again the NDP will benefit. If polls suggest majority, they will become irrelevant.

At the moment, I think the Green Party might eat the NDP's lunch.

NDP runs pretty solid campaigns though plus they have some accomplishments.

Federally, they have been hurt both Liberal and Green party rises in the polls. If they are seen as to close the Tories, it will hurt their base. They are already down from the election.

Federally, they have been hurt both Liberal and Green party rises in the polls. If they are seen as to close the Tories, it will hurt their base. They are already down from the election.

I'd wait until the campaign after they can put some spin on it.

I'd wait until the campaign after they can put some spin on it.

I don't know. I think the pressure is already building from the western wing of the party. The drop in support for the NDP in the west has got the local NDP worried. And this is without a huge Green impact yet.

Gee, he's smart. His comments on the effects of Kyoto - if fully implemented - are still accurate today. I don't think he feels any different about the concept of Kyoto as it is now structured.....but as he now says "The Science has evolved". After all, that letter was written 5 years ago and there was a lot of division in the ranks of scientists. There are still lots of questions - regardless of what the True Believers say. I do believe that the Conservatives will proceed in a cautious, but substantial way. I also think that we will be a major player in trying to negotiate a more realistic post-2012 Kyoto approach.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but came across this which is very disturbing, featured on Bourque.

http://www.bourque.org/notes.html

Basically, Mark Holland is suggesting that he and Dion would get in the face of energy producers in Alberta, be confrontational, and get the tar sands shut down to meet Kyoto targets. They're leaking a broad hidden agenda of "Screw Alberta", since it doesn't contribute to their caucus, there's the hint that by trying to promote separatism there, they may tie the hands of the Conservative caucus and possibly even eliminate that part of their caucus if they drive Alberta out.

Now, of course, I'm sure we are all adamantly opposed to any separatist movement, and even worse than any internally-sourced movement is any external attempt to drive a province away.

This is scary to me, considering the CPC government has been good for unity, (Quebec isn't making anywhere near the noise they were under Chretien), and the wholecountry is happy to be Canada together now, we had better hope the CPC win a majority next time around.

Looking at the spectre of Dion ever winning and attempting to implement his mad policies, hopefully Edmonton and others will make it clear that Ottawa may NOT turn off the tap. Hopefully it's clear that doing so would lead directly to the lights going off in Ontario ( remember "The Ontario Blackout) and pump prices skyrocketing. You would think that Dion et al would figure out that stopping energy producers isn't going to win votes.

If anyone is looking scary now it is Dion and this type of devious mischief.

Transcripts here and will be archived. Who wants to bet that Holland will be thrown under a bus

ASAP LOL

http://www.cjob.com/shows/adler.aspx

And yet today Baird is saying that he is going to make solid cuts in emissions which will affect which province the most?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/02/02/...ate-070202.html

The Opposition parties united on a Liberal motion. This could prove embarrassing to the Conservatives late on.

The Liberal motion, which passed 161-115 in the House of Commons today, is not binding, but it could embarrass the Tories and put more public pressure on them.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070205/...al/kyoto_motion