Hillary's Report

http://clinton.senate.gov/news/statements/...s.cfm?id=264008

Washington, DC – Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton today released a report that details the devastating impact of Canadian trade practices on New York’s farmers and growers.

The report, compiled by the Senator’s office, with the help of the New York Apple Association, the New York Horticulture Society, the Northeast Council of Dairy Cooperatives, the New York Farm Bureau and the Empire State Potato Growers, details the impact of Canadian subsidies and trade barriers on dairy, fruits, vegetables, wine and agricultural products and concludes that while Canadian growers have little problem accessing New York markets for their produce, New York farmers and growers experience severe restrictions on selling their products in Canada.

(You can download the pdf file of the full report with link given in article.)

This from possibly the next president.

Very interesting. Thank you for bringing that to my attn. I will have to read the whole report to understand the opinions .

The only one I smiled at was the milk, and of course that is controlled by Quebec,and that province if I recall correctly, takes care of 60% of the market.

Some ontarians are paid to dump their milk.

That must be frustrating to see that huge market over the water and get restricted from it.

Thank you for giving it a reply. After Higgly complains about the irrelevant threads, I thought I would dig up this one. It was covered in the Buffalo media recently. The forum is Canada/US relations, and this certainly is relevant, but strangely Higgly and crowd made no comment, yet he continues to bump his irrelevant thread.

http://clinton.senate.gov/news/statements/...s.cfm?id=264008

Washington, DC – Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton today released a report that details the devastating impact of Canadian trade practices on New York’s farmers and growers.

The report, compiled by the Senator’s office, with the help of the New York Apple Association, the New York Horticulture Society, the Northeast Council of Dairy Cooperatives, the New York Farm Bureau and the Empire State Potato Growers, details the impact of Canadian subsidies and trade barriers on dairy, fruits, vegetables, wine and agricultural products and concludes that while Canadian growers have little problem accessing New York markets for their produce, New York farmers and growers experience severe restrictions on selling their products in Canada.

(You can download the pdf file of the full report with link given in article.)

This from possibly the next president.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, she's bitching about subsidies!! She only has to look in her backyard, her prairie boys get subsidies second only to the E.U. I think their ag subsidies are similar to our Healthcare expenses in terms of costs. No wonder they are in a deficit. Any american bitching about Canadian farmers getting subsidies is a hypocrite.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, she's bitching about subsidies!! She only has to look in her backyard, her prairie boys get subsidies second only to the E.U. I think their ag subsidies are similar to our Healthcare expenses in terms of costs. No wonder they are in a deficit. Any american bitching about Canadian farmers getting subsidies is a hypocrite.

Some form of subsidies goes on in everything. Why not debate instead of being a wiseass?

The OP was merely suggesting a good topic to look at. Maybe he has a dog in this fight, like maybe a farmer in the family, either way it is a an interesting topic.

Besides that, she is trying to get elected so she concentrates on home turf. Why bring in something taht affects none of her constituents.

Some form of subsidies goes on in everything. Why not debate instead of being a wiseass?

The OP was merely suggesting a good topic to look at. Maybe he has a dog in this fight, like maybe a farmer in the family, either way it is a an interesting topic.

Besides that, she is trying to get elected so she concentrates on home turf. Why bring in something taht affects none of her constituents.

I am a dog in this fight, I find it ridiculous that She is complaining about all those Canadian subsidies and protectionism when the Americans are guilty of just that, its a two way street and she should realize that. It's the North American Free Trade Agreement, not the United States Free Trade Agreement.

I am a dog in this fight, I find it ridiculous that She is complaining about all those Canadian subsidies and protectionism when the Americans are guilty of just that, its a two way street and she should realize that. It's the North American Free Trade Agreement, not the United States Free Trade Agreement.

I live in Buffalo, right next to Canada. You would think that Buffalo would benefit from the free trade agreement, NOT. Jobs are lost all the time, but mostly to Mexico. No spinoff jobs from Canada to my knowledge. Perhaps mail drops, and truck stops. The rise in the Canadian dollar over the past ten years has been primarily from NAFTA. I thought the wine trade was especially interesting because NYS produces wine south of Buffalo along the lake, and along the finger lakes. Canada produces wine around Niagara on the Lake. You can see the vineyards, but the wine flows in one direction, south.

In any event, get ready for more protectionism not less. The free trade buzz word will be replaced with the balanced trade buzz word. Why do you think that the foreign automakers are setting up shop in US? To prepare for that day.

I live in Buffalo, right next to Canada. You would think that Buffalo would benefit from the free trade agreement, NOT. Jobs are lost all the time, but mostly to Mexico. No spinoff jobs from Canada to my knowledge. Perhaps mail drops, and truck stops. The rise in the Canadian dollar over the past ten years has been primarily from NAFTA. I thought the wine trade was especially interesting because NYS produces wine south of Buffalo along the lake, and along the finger lakes. Canada produces wine around Niagara on the Lake. You can see the vineyards, but the wine flows in one direction, south.

In any event, get ready for more protectionism not less. The free trade buzz word will be replaced with the balanced trade buzz word. Why do you think that the foreign automakers are setting up shop in US? To prepare for that day.

The rise in the Canadian dollar vs US has happened quite recently. Not so much against other currencies. Under NAFTA, the Canadian dollar has also hit record lows versus the US dollar. It's present rise is mainly due to high commodity prices (oil, minerals etc) and the fact the US has been devaluing its own currency with its huge deficit.

We produce lots of wine in BC but you can find plenty of California wines in our stores as well.

Niagara, I am a fan of Buffalo as I travel there quite frequently to see some friends. (Amherst are if asking)

I am not so sure that Buffalo was to benefit all that much from NAFTA . It is my impression that the mfg'ing base that historically has been Buff's forte was in serious decline prior to NAFTA. There is a reason it was nicknamed the rust belt as I am sure you know. Do you think there is any truth to that?

I have no idea why the wine trade is not better for you guys, as it is essentially the same soil. Probably, and I may be talking out of my hat here, the CDN wine industry blocks local competition on the local level. Does LCBO buy any of your wines?

Trim Your Posts and Quotes -- Don't just hit "Reply"

The majority of this thread is repetition. At least half of the posts so far in this thread repeat the immediately preceding posts entirely.

That is unnecessary and bad form.

Each of you should go back and remove redundant quotes. If you are not too sure about using the formatting or editing functions, I will be glad to help you.

Just send me a PM directly and I will walk you through it.

• 2 weeks later...
The only one I smiled at was the milk, and of course that is controlled by Quebec,and that province if I recall correctly, takes care of 60% of the market.

This is a flase statement. Ontario farmers are NOT paid to dump their milk. Supply is regulated in the form of Milk Quota. You must own quota in order to transport the milk that your farm produces. If a farner produces too little there is a financial penalty levied against the quota holder. If a farmer produces too much milk a fine is leveid against the farmer. If a farmer is producing too much milk they could dump milk if they wanted to however they are NOT paid to do so. They are only paid for volume of milk quota that they hold and are allowed to ship.

To summarize the supply management practices that the DFO has adopted does NOT reward farmers for over production. Farmers are in fact penalized for overproduction.

Read the Ontario Milk Act if you like.

I have.

Very interesting. Thank you for bringing that to my attn. I will have to read the whole report to understand the opinions .

That must be frustrating to see that huge market over the water and get restricted from it.

The dairy industry is controlled in each province by its milk marketing boards. We have dairy farmers in the family in Ontario and BC and they would very quickly dispute your facts. Can you tell me who in Ontario is paid to dump their milk because this is the first time I have heard of it.