Who is Rod Bryden?

Bryden appears to be one of those federal civil servants who then becomes an "entrepreneur" (entirely dependant on government contracts) and who then becomes a lobbyist. The guy appears to be a schmoozer.

Just two years ago he faced personal bankruptcy, owing nearly $60-million to creditors. But over the weekend, new Liberal leader Stephane Dion named Mr. Bryden, 65, as part of his transition team. Along with former intergovernmental affairs minister Marcel Masse, he will be responsible for helping the Liberals make the transition from acting leader Bill Graham to Mr. Dion.
National Post

He apparently has "volunteered" to organize "without pay" Dion's transition to Official Opposition leader.

«Voilà une illustration parfaite de la relation incestueuse qu'entretient la politique canadienne avec le financement à grande échelle», a commenté hier le député du NPD, Pat Martin. «Personne ne devrait être en mesure d'acheter une élection ou un politicien. Or, ces prêts consentis aux libéraux durant la course au leadership sont l'équivalent de donations corporatives, à mon avis. C'est très dangereux.»
La Presse

Despite a bankruptcy that meant creditors received only $600,000 of $60 million owed, Bryden managed to lend $50,000 to Dion for his leadership campaign. This appears to be the way that Dion is paying him back: by naming Bryden to his transition team.

At a low price, Bryden has bought apparently a very valuable rolodex if Dion becomes PM.

Dion should know better than to do this. Is it because Dion lacks the political instincts or is it because he lacks the strength to stand up to some people? Or is it just the same old, same old Liberals.

Rod Bryden is best known as the former owner of the Ottawa Senators hockey team, and also a close associate of John Manley I believe.

It is in fact through Rod Bryden's connection to the Liberal Party that I first heard of the Sponsorship Program, long before Sheila Fraser cracked that thing open. A Toronto Sun sports-writer noted that while the Ottawa Senators had picked up a considerable amount of Sponsorship Program money, and some had been spent with Les Canadiens as well, the remaining Canadian teams had received virtually none. The Toronto Sun sports writer mused that perhaps Rod Bryden's acquaintences with the Liberals had something to do with the Senators getting extra loot under the program. As it turns out, that sports-writer touched on something a lot bigger than he knew.

-k

Dion should know better than to do this. Is it because Dion lacks the political instincts or is it because he lacks the strength to stand up to some people? Or is it just the same old, same old Liberals.

He's just an Ontario elite. When I lived in ottawa he was known to be seen with the Corel owner.. can't remember his name.

All the Ontario elites know each other including Rae, Malrouny, the Stranich's, and the list goes on.

He's just an Ontario elite. When I lived in ottawa he was known to be seen with the Corel owner.. can't remember his name.

All the Ontario elites know each other including Rae, Malrouny, the Stranich's, and the list goes on.

I'm embarrassed,apparently he had been doing more then keeping the Sens going.

Jeez,I've lived in Ottawa for years and i never knew this stuff.Talk about being out of the loop :blink:

Despite a bankruptcy that meant creditors received only $600,000 of $60 million owed, Bryden managed to lend $50,000 to Dion for his leadership campaign. This appears to be the way that Dion is paying him back: by naming Bryden to his transition team.

Let me get this straight. Bryden lends Dion money and then goes to work for Dion for no pay so Dion can pay him back??? And you know all this, how???

Anyone want to read the true facts on Rod Bryden and what an excellent choice Dion made to help him with this transitions should click on this link

And for those who are not interested in the facts, the $160 million (not $60) in debt was because of the Ottawa Senators and it was not a bankruptcy that occurred but bankruptcy protection that was granted while looking for someone to buy the team and it's assets. Of course the Senators were sold for $117 million. There was also a group who acquired a minority stake in the Senators for $51 million.

Hiti, the link you provide is exactly the same as in the OP. (Do you read other posts?) The National Post article refers to $60 million not $160 million but if you say Bryden lost a larger sum, I'll believe you.

Anyway, all this is neither here not there. You haven't disputed the main point that Bryden owes his financial success to his ability to cadge money from politicians who get their money through taxes. IOW, Bryden's a courtier.

I liked CA's link to info about Bryden's brother. Now then, does Stephane Dion have the force of character to change the federal Liberal Party? Maybe Ignatieff or a born-again Rae could have done it. But Dion is simply too beholden and too weak.

Steve has not forgot his cronies. They are popping up in positions all over his government.
Typical Liberal response. Divert attention.

Girl: "I like autumn." Boy: "Autumn is nice. The colourful leaves. But I like summer. It's so warm. You can wear shorts and you can swim... "

And the next thing you know, you're not talking about autumn, you're talking about what he wants to talk about: summer.

----

So then. Why has Stephane Dion hired a Liberal crony for his transition? Same old, same old?

Why has Stephane Dion hired a Liberal crony for his transition? Same old, same old?
Yes. It has to be the same old Liberal machine.

What I find depressing is the lack of opposition towards the obvious cronyism. hiti, please tell me: why do you permit cronyism??

I can not help but think: How much wealthier would every Canadian be if our money was not being funneled to the cronies?

The only thing that comes to mind is that Canadians accept cronyism like dogs scurrying underneath the dinner table for scraps. Canadians deliberately but foolishly believe they will ultimately be recipients of some of the spin-offs and loose change dropped by the cronies.

So we can't talk about Steve's cronyism cause Dion hired a Liberal on his transition team. What should he have done? Hired someone who knows nothing about politics? Or maybe a conservative. Ya.

Except that Harper hired Derek Burney, a former Mulroney chief of staff and a former ambassador to Washington, Camille Guilbault, former deputy chief of staff to Mulroney, Elizabeth Roscoe, a former chief of staff to senior Mulroney ministers, Maurice Archdeacon, a veteran public servant with expertise in security issues, and Ray Speaker, a founding member of the Reform party and a former Alberta cabinet minister.

But then these were Mulroney cronies. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.