Something's Happening To CBC Radio

betsy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...it's begining to feel a lot like Christmas! Even on the CBC!

They've been mentioning the word "Jesus"...and mentioning the word "God"...

and playing some Christian songs!

This may be more a topic for the moral & religious forum; however, I can't stand the bastardization of Christmas. I think I made my views perfectly clear in the other forum, but Christmas is what it is. Commercializing and taking Christ out of it to be 'inclusive' is just plain idiotic.

Why this "softening" now?

Were they "encouraged" before by liberal-thinking management from expressing Christian sentiments?

Were they pressured before by liberal-leaning top CBC honchos citing political correctness?

Do some CBC staff finding the courage now to buck the old system, which seemed to have a rule that says: "play anything BUT...?"

Are they finally listening to all the criticisms and complaints from Christian tax-payers, who probably were also complaining to their MPs?

Does the Harper government now applying a little "encouragement" of its own?

Anyway, I've got to go...going for a walk with the kids...and pick up some "Merry Christmas" cards.

I can't stand the bastardization of Christmas.

I agree. Who do these "Christians" think they are, messing with the traditional ancient Roman winter solstice celebrations and absconding with so many of its pagan traditons?

:P

Nice.

Well, let's hope no pagans are offended by having their holiday usurped. In the meantime, those who've celebrated Christmas as the birth of Christ for generations, should not be expected to change their views because it's not "all-inclusive".

Well, let's hope no pagans are offended by having their holiday usurped. In the meantime, those who've celebrated Christmas as the birth of Christ for generations, should not be expected to change their views because it's not "all-inclusive".

Why not? The pagans who celebrated the winter solstice for generations had to change their views when the new Christian celebration came along, why should the Christians themselves be excepted from change?

Why not? The pagans who celebrated the winter solstice for generations had to change their views when the new Christian celebration came along, why should the Christians themselves be excepted from change?

So, we should change Christmas into the universal 'gift-giving' holiday with no religious ties? I'm all for it, but that still doesn't change its history and we shouldn't expect the 1.1 Billions Christians to change their views.

So, we should change Christmas into the universal 'gift-giving' holiday with no religious ties? I'm all for it, but that still doesn't change its history and we shouldn't expect the 1.1 Billions Christians to change their views.

I'm not asking why Christmas should be changed, by why it should be exempt from change.

I'm not asking why Christmas should be changed, by why it should be exempt from change.

It shouldn't be. You're right. I think it shouldn't exist at all. It's a stress put on people who may not have the financial capacity to meet with society's demands on them at that time of year. It's a marketing juggernaut designed to fuel fiscal year end numbers at the expense of the financial and mental health of people.

It shouldn't be. You're right. I think it shouldn't exist at all. It's a stress put on people who may not have the financial capacity to meet with society's demands on them at that time of year. It's a marketing juggernaut designed to fuel fiscal year end numbers at the expense of the financial and mental health of people

We must destroy Christmas to save it? I like it.

It shouldn't be. You're right. I think it shouldn't exist at all. It's a stress put on people who may not have the financial capacity to meet with society's demands on them at that time of year. It's a marketing juggernaut designed to fuel fiscal year end numbers at the expense of the financial and mental health of people

We must destroy Christmas to save it? I like it.

Where's Jerry Bruckheimer when you need him? This storyline needs more explosions and an underlying love story.

There are interesting posts on here. I have listened to CBC for 50 years and they have always played carols sometimes nothing else for 2 or three weeks before christmas. I don't know where some information comes from. The best part of the CBC is that we get Canadian Content.

I really dislike stations that play nothing but music, if I want that I have CD player and I can play what I like.

The problem with the TV end of it is that we are not into sports and we do not watch any American stations other than PBS. There is far too much advertizing on CBC TV, and this is because of the continued cutting if government money and critizism of people who want to shut it down.

It's true that CBC never stopped playing Christmas carols. They also play their fair share of religious music throughout the year on Radio Two. For some reason, however, there is this idea that Christians are being persecuted and marginalized in our society, and I think the opposite is the case.

Yeah i heard that too yesterday. I was suprised that's for sure.

Think they've done that every year that I've listened. Perhaps it is a surprise that more people are actually listening to CBC Radio. What could they be doing right?

They should play Muslim songs and Wiccan songs as well. All taxpayers subsidize the CBC, not just those of one particular religious group.

Actually they do during Ramadan.

It shouldn't be. You're right. I think it shouldn't exist at all. It's a stress put on people who may not have the financial capacity to meet with society's demands on them at that time of year. It's a marketing juggernaut designed to fuel fiscal year end numbers at the expense of the financial and mental health of people.

Lol!

Yeah lets all become like North Korea. Screw the marketplace and religion.

They should play Muslim songs and Wiccan songs as well. All taxpayers subsidize the CBC, not just those of one particular religious group.

Yeah, I bet there's tons of great Muslim Christmas carols they could play. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that CBC plays all kinds of worldbeat crap if you search their schedule, Norm.

Why, sometimes they even play music that I'd listen to, if I was willing to stay up until 3am to hear it.

-k