Killed 7 People - $200K Fine

CBC

They probably didn't even have to declare bankruptcy like a normal immoral corporation. I think this decision is a shameful reminder of what's wrong with our system. We've had threads before about the immorality of taxation but how about the immorality of the business world ?

Anyone ?

Edit: The fine was actually $225 K or about 30K per victim.

I don't know if this is a good example of immorality of the business world. It was a construction accident. They are dangerous places at the best of times. It wasn't premeditated murder or man slaughter, but whoever was operating the machinery that ruptured the gas line was at fault. An awful accident to be sure, but under our laws, which seem to be pretty protective of citizens compared to the rest of the world, no criminal charges were laid.

At the end of the article it states that one trial continues, and more blame (read cash) may be forthcoming for enbridge Gas. They are charged with failing to provide accurate info on the location of the gas lines.

I fail to see the point........are you suggesting the damages are far too low? I agree.

My father was killed along with 10 other men in Lasalle when the Monsanto plant blew up in 1966.

Amount of $$$ we received from Monsanto?

*Zero*

Morris - that is really tough. I'm sorry.

Sharkman:

I don't know if this is a good example of immorality of the business world. It was a construction accident. They are dangerous places at the best of times. It wasn't premeditated murder or man slaughter, but whoever was operating the machinery that ruptured the gas line was at fault.

In other words, 'oops'.

The truth is - if you push all responsibility for safety into the hands of the line workers, you will get more accidents and grief.

An awful accident to be sure, but under our laws, which seem to be pretty protective of citizens compared to the rest of the world, no criminal charges were laid.

Compared to India and Africa is not where I'd like to be. I'd like to live in a country where this kind of accident does not happen.

At the end of the article it states that one trial continues, and more blame (read cash) may be forthcoming for enbridge Gas. They are charged with failing to provide accurate info on the location of the gas lines.

I read that, and I am hopeful. It's conceivable that this small company followed safety guidelines to the letter but due to multiple failures in the system they triggered an accident that was caused by other entities.

The agency called it the largest fine in their history imposed by the courts.

Well, that's something. A start at least.

Warren Bitulithic was one of three companies charged in the explosion.

Hey, I worked for this company one summer doing road construction in Northern Ontario.

Enbridge Gas and a subcontractor, Precision Utility Ltd., were charged with failing to provide accurate information about the location of the natural gas pipelines. Their trial continues.

So if this company did not provide accurate information, that would certainly take some of the blame off the shoulders of those who were actually doing the digging, doncha think???

Warren Bitulithic Limited was ordered to pay a fine of $225,000 with a 25 per cent victim surcharge of $56,250 under the Provincial Offences Act for its part in the incident.

The company faced charges of digging without determining the exact location of an underground gas line and damaging an underground natural gas pipeline without permission.

This makes me scratch my head a bit. If the gas company is being charged with not providing accurate information about the location of the pipes, and IF the diggers did do their best to acquire the information, why wouldn't this let the diggers off the hook???

Strange.

Gonna have to watch this and see how it unfolds.