Racism and Calgary

bradco

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the fact I am not living there? Nope.

Full of LaCoste and Fendi wearing, Jag driving women who wont do me. Thats a ghetto I wont be around.

Great area, loved it when I lived east of there. The park across the street is worth the price of admission.

The oark with the statue of Peter Pan?

You would have liked ghe book I never had time to write......The Poor Man's Guide to Rich Women.

You meant park I hope.

That one and the one with the reservoir at Spadina and St Clair.

You must have at the least a synopsis. Email it to me at

[email protected]

Well, it starts with you have to be under 30. Over 30 and they don't tolerate poverty. Under 30 and you are a starving tortured soul....that and never drink beer from a bottle....

Well, it starts with you have to be under 30. Over 30 and they don't tolerate poverty. Under 30 and you are a starving tortured soul....that and never drink beer from a bottle....

I look younger - can a tetra pak of Baby Duck work? I can tuck in some collapsible plastic wine glasses with my Metropass.

And they better not bring that old ruse "you dont wear paisley with argyle" crap.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

A few years ago i lived in Calgary. Downtown there was a bar called "the drink".

Before you could enter the club, the staff would scan your drivers licence. I thought it was odd, but didn't think much of it. I later found out that the bar directly sent that information to the local police. My girlfriend at the time said this was a topic of interest at her law school, privacy laws and such.

I'm curious, does anyone know if the bar still exists and do they still do this?

I mention this because my Asian friend thought the door staff was hassling him. I told him it was all in his mind, then later some Asian guys were whipping beer bottles at each other. Who knows.

A few years ago i lived in Calgary. Downtown there was a bar called "the drink".

Before you could enter the club, the staff would scan your drivers licence. I thought it was odd, but didn't think much of it. I later found out that the bar directly sent that information to the local police.

I dont believe it.

For what purpose and how would they do it?

• 4 months later...
Guyser, a few bars in Calgary scan IDs, but I haven't heard that they send them to police. They do it so they know who is present. And they have a blacklist of known gang-members, so they can deny entry to those that shouldn't be there.

I sure wish they would do that in Toronto - but here - it's take the money even if it is from the devil himself. There should be a BLACK LIST here.... Like those gang members that are not gang members but plain bad ass idiots who are to stupid to be civlized...

• 2 weeks later...
So I was visiting Calgary over the weekend...

I head out to some clubs with a friend and some guys he knows from work (3 of us white and 2 asian guys)

First club we go to they let the three of us who are white in no problem....then the two asian guys flash their ids and the bouncer says oh your from out of province you need to show another id. So they flash another and then its oh your under 25 you cant get in. Interesting thing is the three of us who were white were also showing BC drivers licenses and we were also all under 25. In front of us was an asian guy with three white girls. All the girls got in and he didnt.

Next club they were trying to pull the same shit. Only reason I think the two asian guys got in was a cop was standing right beside the bouncer....the asian guys were forced to show three pieces of photo id and we showed one.

Anyone from Calgary know if tyhis happens a lot? What is going on in that city? Is racism and conservatism connected? :P

So you decide to imply that anyone conservative is surely racist.Nice.Did it ever occur to you to ask why your asian friends were kept out(assuming your little story is not fiction)?Hell,they can go to the Alberta Human Rights Commission and launch a costly complaint entirely at taxpayer expense and surely come out with a very nice pile of money.

On second thought,you likely made the whole thing up.

I head out to some clubs with a friend and some guys he knows from work (3 of us white and 2 asian guys)

First club we go to they let the three of us who are white in no problem....then the two asian guys flash their ids and the bouncer says oh your from out of province you need to show another id. So they flash another and then its oh your under 25 you cant get in. Interesting thing is the three of us who were white were also showing BC drivers licenses and we were also all under 25. In front of us was an asian guy with three white girls. All the girls got in and he didnt.

Next club they were trying to pull the same shit. Only reason I think the two asian guys got in was a cop was standing right beside the bouncer....the asian guys were forced to show three pieces of photo id and we showed one.

Anyone from Calgary know if tyhis happens a lot? What is going on in that city? Is racism and conservatism connected? :P

The protective reaction that is racism is a natural human occurance - It's part of having domain over truf for generations - THEN poorly planned immigration takes place and the locals feel they are slowly being internally displaced and slowly marginalized by STRANGERS from a stange land - If - the new arrivals were respectful of the original and established inhabitants there would be no problem.

- BUT what immigrants are taught on arrival - is that they do not have to earn the rights of privledge - that they have equal rights to those that are already here - It's a case of having a scenario that is akin to people entering a nation that because of it's overly kind and utopian immigration policy - new arrivals are not respectable or respecting -

They look at this nation as a no mans land - a type of open house - that it is not like a real nation - that Canadian fools - are a push over - BUT in their country of origin racism is a respected protective part of human behaviour - Go to an asian or arabic nation and try to act as if you won the place - and have full rights - You will end up confined and falsely charged crimminally - for your arrogance and disrespect.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont believe it.

For what purpose and how would they do it?

It's done to test if the card is legit - if it's a fake ID the magnetic strip either won't have any data on it or it won't match up to the personal info on the front of the card.

• 4 weeks later...

I smell a lie....

we have no way to ascertain this anecdotal nonsense.

I have a brother in Calgary ...he goes out all the time and he has never heard of this happening or has never seen it happen ever!

I have a few buddies who I know hit the club scene in Cowtown, and they've told me how this one club got shut down once because it wouldn't tolerate "hip hop" regalia: i.e. oversized T-shirts and basketball jerseys, baggy shorts and jeans, caps etc... some Alberta Human Rights commission had a fit and said that such dress codes were put up ONLY to keep blacks out...

The victim mentality is so deep and inveterate in some of our minorities that they inevitably see demons where there are none...

... some Alberta Human Rights commission had a fit and said that such dress codes were put up ONLY to keep blacks out...

Sounds like bullshit so I will assume a citation is out of the question.

....and mainly because in calgary, white hip hoppers probably out number black hip hoppers 10 to 1...

I have a few buddies who I know hit the club scene in Cowtown, and they've told me how this one club got shut down once because it wouldn't tolerate "hip hop" regalia: i.e. oversized T-shirts and basketball jerseys, baggy shorts and jeans, caps etc... some Alberta Human Rights commission had a fit and said that such dress codes were put up ONLY to keep blacks out...

The victim mentality is so deep and inveterate in some of our minorities that they inevitably see demons where there are none...

But sometimes in the past, barriers have been put up by the authorities to deprive minorities of "rights". For example, in the States they used to have a literacy test for all voters. Sinec blacks went to largely-underfunded schools many could not read very well and were, therefore, denied their vote. This went on into the 20th century in the States. Just saying...

But sometimes in the past, barriers have been put up by the authorities to deprive minorities of "rights". For example, in the States they used to have a literacy test for all voters. Sinec blacks went to largely-underfunded schools many could not read very well and were, therefore, denied their vote. This went on into the 20th century in the States. Just saying...

I fail to see the relationship... but i'd love for you to provide me with link or sources about this "voter system".... I've actually never heard of a such a scheme.

I fail to see the relationship... but i'd love for you to provide me with link or sources about this "voter system".... I've actually never heard of a such a scheme.

You are a product of your lack of education.

Such disfranchising laws included poll taxes, literacy tests, vouchers of "good character," and disqualification for "crimes of moral turpitude." These laws were "color-blind" on their face, but were designed to exclude black citizens disproportionately by allowing white election officials to apply the procedures selectively. Other laws and practices, such as the "white primary,", attempted to evade the 15th Amendment by allowing "private" political parties to conduct elections and establish qualifications for their members.

As a result of these efforts, in the former Confederate states nearly all black citizens were disenfranchised and removed from by 1910. The process of restoring the rights taken stolen by these tactics would take many decades.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/voting/intro/intro_a.php

You are a product of your lack of education.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/voting/intro/intro_a.php

already Dancer? ad hominem number 1...

...Our friend made it appear as if this was a recent phenomenon... alas its been nearly 100 years... 3 generations ago.

And in hindsight, i'm not so sure how not restricting the right to vote to persons actually capable of reading and speaking coherent discourse is such a "crime" and affront to democracy...

I suppose you agree with the current state of affairs now, where even the mentally ill and retarded are permitted the vote... Yes, in the States, if you're suffering from some form of mental insanity, you can be unstrapped from your straight jacket long enough to strike a check on a presidential candiadate...

And people with downs are "undiscriminated" against...

anyways I fail to see the relevance still between US electoral policies of the 1910's and the so called "racism" of letting private club owners open their doors TO WHO EVER THEY WANT AS THE LAW SHOULD PERMIT THEM.