Canadian Information Censorship?

The United States has the NSA (National Security Advisory) and Canada has the CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service).

Both countries have laws against the government spying on its people, but it's not illegal for a government to spy on another country's people. Thusly, the Canadian government monitors the United States and the U.S. government monitors Canada. The United States has access to information about Canada and it's people. This is why it may seem that the U.S. get information about Canada before Canadians.

Tec21

I think what's more troubling are some of the hate speech laws in this country, especially this latest bill (C-250?) which involves homosexuality.

If my interpretation of the bill is correct, you can be charged with hate speech by simply speaking against homosexuality without reference to religion. So, if someone says or writes, "I think homosexuality is wrong and bad for people", would they be slapped with a hate crime violation?

Doesn't such a bill violate the whole notion of freedom of speech where instead of outlawing speech you don't like you fight it with speech you do like?

Isn't this country going down the wrong path when it tries to protect justice by infringing upon speech? This is not justice but a kind of tyrrany of the politically correct, isn't it?

If my interpretation of the bill is correct, you can be charged with hate speech by simply speaking against homosexuality without reference to religion. So, if someone says or writes, "I think homosexuality is wrong and bad for people", would they be slapped with a hate crime violation?

do you actually believe that is how our canadian legal system will function from now on?

if so, jews control the media, blacks are destroying the white race, and Islam is an evil religion while christianity is the only faith of God.

SirRiff

Actually, NSA stands for "National Security Agency" and it's counterpart in the Canadian confederation is the CSE, or Canadian Security Establishment. CSIS is aimed at your basic counter-intelligence operations, while the NSA, CSE and GCHQ are aimed at electronic intelligence gathering. Since the Canadians only do electronic intelligence, the CSE represents the sum total of the Canadian intelligence gathering capabilities. For the more complex stuff, we rely on MI-6 and the CIA, thus the British and Americans have to tell us everything we ever find out about.

• 18 years later...

Instead of starting a new media thread I'll just post this here. Trudeau is now talking about requiring media outlets to get a federal license. So essentially another attack on a free press.. if the government doesn't like what you say they take your license. .

Moving into some pretty sad times 

8 hours ago, West said:

Instead of starting a new media thread I'll just post this here. Trudeau is now talking about requiring media outlets to get a federal license. So essentially another attack on a free press.. if the government doesn't like what you say they take your license. .

Moving into some pretty sad times 

You know, you are right about that.

But there's also a problem with paid disinfo agents coming here to cause interference.

If you doubt that national sovereignty over political discussion is essential, note that the Conservative government of Brian Mulroney almost scuttled the FTA over this.

Licensing is not a great solution, not is government funding of media.