Canadians insult America (again)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chemical weapons would be expected to produce deaths in the thousands also, and they are considered the definition of a poor mans weapon of mass distruction.

Tough luck for Saddam that his WMDs were totally imaginary.

Wait! That's it. Saddam's chemical weapons were all in Bush's head -- i.e. Bush had chemicals on his brain! That explains a lot.

He spouted enough about them, and dug his own grave (or hole he was found in).

good point JBG. If I hold up a bank with a squirt gun hoping you thinks its real, and then the police shoot me in the wrist, I dont think I would try suing the police saying it was not a real gun after all, and it was only in their heads.

Yeah I believe Remiel was condemning the booing and flag burning. Maybe you misinterpreted him. This sort of thing has happened on both sides of the border though. Anyhow...

When he says only a minimal amount of respect, and dislike bordering on hatred, he has defined himself. Yes, he might not boo, but the hatred is palpable. Canadians, some and maybe quite a few, dislike America and Americans. I do not think a negative feeling toward Canada exists. If there is any booing in your directions, it is only a reaction to stuff that has come in this direction for decades. Where it comes from, who knows, but obviously if children are saying it, they have learned it from their parents, parents like Remiel.

I have lived my entire life in areas of the US that are both physically and economically close to Canada. Other than the odd (and privately expressed) snipe by friends who worked a lot with Canadian tourists, I have *never* personally heard a single negative comment by an American about a Canadian or Canadians. Never. I am not talking about comedians' jokes or statements by political talking heads on TV or talk radio. I'm talking about real, everyday people. Never. There is simply no animus against Canadians among Americans -- at least not in my part of the country and within my experience. There are casual, harmless jokes, but never anything beyond casual ribbing.

On the other hand, it seems that there is a certain percentage of Canadians who harbor (harbour?) and express deep hatred of the US or Americans, and a greater percentage who hold on to and express a softer bigotry or disdain for things and people south of the border. To me, it seems almost universal among Canadians to have something negative to say about the US or Americans.

I have lived my entire life in areas of the US that are both physically and economically close to Canada. Other than the odd (and privately expressed) snipe by friends who worked a lot with Canadian tourists, I have *never* personally heard a single negative comment by an American about a Canadian or Canadians. Never. I am not talking about comedians' jokes or statements by political talking heads on TV or talk radio. I'm talking about real, everyday people. Never. There is simply no animus against Canadians among Americans -- at least not in my part of the country and within my experience. There are casual, harmless jokes, but never anything beyond casual ribbing.

On the other hand, it seems that there is a certain percentage of Canadians who harbor (harbour?) and express deep hatred of the US or Americans, and a greater percentage who hold on to and express a softer bigotry or disdain for things and people south of the border. To me, it seems almost universal among Canadians to have something negative to say about the US or Americans.

You may not have heard it, Liam. I have. From Americans. Not ones I was criticizing either. I have been called Canadistani and a terrorist coddler. I believe the same sort of thing happened at a hockey game in the states where fans began to chant "Fuck Canada". This was before the incident happened in Canada. But that is not really important. I dont deny anti-American sentiment exists here, but actually I like you live among my own people. I know my next door neighbours, and the everyday people in life. I have never heard them say anything negative about America either.

However online I see it much more. From both sides. I am not saying Canadians are more innocent of this than Americans. I have seen Canadians acting totally rude, condescending and disrespectful in American chat rooms, where the people are like "what the #@$#, who asked Canada anyway". I understand that this angers alot of Americans. I dont condone it, and sometimes I find it very embarrassing. But even though I dont think you or people you work with hate Canadians or boo them, I must say its simply not true that this has not happened. On a conservative chat room in the US I was booted one day----not for questioning American policy or anything . It was on IRC. Not sure if you are familiar with the format. But the OP questioned me "Hello Jefferiah are you from New Brunswick." I thought he was making conversation, so I said "Yes, you know it?" And then I was promptly kicked from the chat with the kick message "Shut your half french canadian pie hole"

However online I see it much more.

I must say jefferiah that you are the most measured Canadian poster I have seen of late. I have been a member of this forum for about two years, but I have very few posts for that length of time. In the past I remember the forum as fairly balanced. There are a few who I remember from a couple of years ago, but posters come and go, and the forum is more antiAmerican than I remember it. I know that Canada elected a new Prime Minister, and I think he is an improvement over the past two. Perhaps the electorate is changing also.

As far as Iraq being the cause of some of this, I think they had an obligation to check the sewer out, but I wish they would have just left after six months. I do not think they had any obligation to see them into the light of democracy.

You may not have heard it, Liam. I have. From Americans. Not ones I was criticizing either. I have been called Canadistani and a terrorist coddler. I believe the same sort of thing happened at a hockey game in the states where fans began to chant "Fuck Canada". This was before the incident happened in Canada. But that is not really important. I dont deny anti-American sentiment exists here, but actually I like you live among my own people. I know my next door neighbours, and the everyday people in life. I have never heard them say anything negative about America either.

The best way for me to respond is to reiterate that such statements are outside my experience. I don't doubt that among some people in the US (I'd say it's much more common among Southern/conservative Americans) who would insult Canadians or Canada ("socialized medicine?! why don't you go back to Russia!" *LOL), but I have never had something like that said within earshot of me -- at least not meant as anything more than a playful jab. My sense is that the feelings of anti-[neighboring country] and the willingness to express it are assymetrical and tilting more heavily in the direction of Canada.

You are right that the online world provides a platform for cowards and yahoos (on both sides of the border) to make stupid and/or rude statements.

The best way for me to respond is to reiterate that such statements are outside my experience. I don't doubt that among some people in the US (I'd say it's much more common among Southern/conservative Americans) who would insult Canadians or Canada ("socialized medicine?! why don't you go back to Russia!" *LOL), but I have never had something like that said within earshot of me -- at least not meant as anything more than a playful jab. My sense is that the feelings of anti-[neighboring country] and the willingness to express it are assymetrical and tilting more heavily in the direction of Canada.

You are right that the online world provides a platform for cowards and yahoos (on both sides of the border) to make stupid and/or rude statements.

Well said Liam.