Police Seeking Revellers Who Urinated On Ottawa Memorial

Police Seeking Revellers who urinated on Ottawa Memorial

Ca.News.Yahoo.com

July 3rd, 2006

Excerpt:

Ottawa police are looking for three Canada Day revellers photographed urinating on the National War Memorial.

Police have asked anyone with information about the three to come forward.

Det. Mike Walker said police have contacted the photographer, retired Canadian Armed Forces Maj. Michael Pilon, and will ensure charges are laid.

Pilon's picture, taken around 11 p.m. on July 1 after a fireworks display ended, has prompted outrage.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper called an Ottawa radio station and said the action was "thoughtless," but "it doesn't represent the views of any segment of Canadian society, we all strongly honour our vets."

Police said they could lay charges of mischief, being drunk in a public place and performing an indecent act in a public place.

Veterans want security for monument

The incident has renewed calls by veterans groups for better security to protect the memorial, located in the centre of Ottawa. It honours the country's war dead and holds the remains of The Unknown Soldier, returned to Canada from France in 2000.

"We've asked for people to be stationed here so that it can be stopped. And we'll be pressing for that in the future, and I must say that we'll be pressing much harder from now on," Royal Canadian Legion's Bob Butt said.

Link

If they catch these punks who have done this jail is to good for them, they should be shipped off to Afghanistan to shine the boots of every Canadian Soldier serving there..

Police said they could lay charges of mischief, being drunk in a public place and performing an indecent act in a public place.

These charges really dont seem harsh enough. There is so much more to this act than mischief and indecency.

As part of any sentence meted out to these people id like to see them doing community service in the form of helping retired veterans. Listening to the stories of these veterans may teach them something about the sacrifices they made and how we benefited from them.

Why do I get the feeling that this will lead inexorably to a "free speech" defense at the Supreme Court?

If this werein the US, this would be considered "conduct", which is not protected, rather than "speech", which is.

Have you seen the picture? It was just a drunken idiot kid. Yes, he deserves to be punished...but let's not get carried away.

I think the PM should shut his mouth about it for one. Don't make political hay at the expense of a kid, over one stupid drunken act.

As well, this kid could be a young offender....so the Ottawa Citizen better watch it's step.

If he is underage - community service with a retired veteran is an ideal solution.

Have you seen the picture? It was just a drunken idiot kid. Yes, he deserves to be punished...but let's not get carried away.

I think the PM should shut his mouth about it for one. Don't make political hay at the expense of a kid, over one stupid drunken act.

As well, this kid could be a young offender....so the Ottawa Citizen better watch it's step.

I don't know what scares me more, these guys desecrating a war memorial or this kind of liberal indifference to it shown above.

I don't know what scares me more, these guys desecrating a war memorial or this kind of liberal indifference to it shown above.
How about every single person (including the photographer) standing by who saw this happen and did not stop it? Where would they rank?

I agree and disagree with Gerry on this one.

Agree - It was a drunken idiot..."kid" maybe a relative term. Punishment is needed but calling for lengthy jail time is silly. This is hardly the first time an inebriated a--hole relieved himself on public property. In the normal course, assuming no prior criminal record, he would be looking at community service or a fine or both.

Now, the fact that what he pissed on was a sacred war memorial I am satisfied should warrant a higher than normal sentence...but that means stricter and longer probation and a higher fine...not jail. I think even most veterans would rather see him forced to spend a hundred hours helping other veterans for his crime rather than sitting in a lock-up for a couple of weeks and having no true appreciation for why what he did was so wrong.

Disagree - Any Prime Minister would be daft, and indeed disappointing, if he or she simply ignored a story like this. Not because it is "scoring political points", but because it is the right thing to do to officially stand up for the veterans, the monument, and all that Canada represents when it comes to honouring fallen soldiers.

The response was very appropriate in my view...Harper pointed out that the actions of this prick did not represent any identifiable group of Canadians and should obviously not be taken as a sign that Canada as a whole does not respect its veterans.

Not sure why Gerry is so against a Prime Minister being patriotic. You see, the thing is that when a PM (or any politician) does something right, and for the right reasons, it will by necessary implication increase his popularity or "score politcial points"...this doesn't somehow make good conduct therefore wrong or "dirty".

I dare say that it has been some time since Canadians have been able to be proud of anything their PM has done (and this is not partisan...I was disgusted by the Emmerson floor cross just as much as I was appalled about any Liberal indiscretions for example) and so if Canadians are moved to feel good about Harper because he phoned into the Ottawa radio station then I say it's good for Canada, including Her vets.

FTA

My concern isn't so much with punishment as with the gradual slide in our values. I'm just depressed by it and even more depressed by people like this Gerry guy defending them. I don't care if it's some drunk teenager or some fool with a junior high education. Anyone who lives in this country, old or young, should have respect for the people who died fighting. I think living under Liberal rule for so long, the barrage from our national news sources, and the abundance of left leaning educators in the system have taken their toll on how we feel about past and present sacrifices.

Yep, who cares? Don't punish him, that's what ah said, huh? :rolleyes:

My concern isn't so much with punishment as with the gradual slide in our values. I'm just depressed by it and even more depressed by people like this Gerry guy defending them. I don't care if it's some drunk teenager or some fool with a junior high education. Anyone who lives in this country, old or young, should have respect for the people who died fighting. I think living under Liberal rule for so long, the barrage from our national news sources, and the abundance of left leaning educators in the system have taken their toll on how we feel about past and present sacrifices.

Yep, it's the fault of the Liberal teachers. Probably the single mothers are to blame as well.

Those rotton kids just don't have any respect for anything anymore. Not like when we were kids, huh? No good for nothing little brats should all be sent off to boot camp.

How old would you say that kid is? 17? 15? Tsk tsk, underage drinking too.

Harper should bring in the war measures act. Man, he's a decisive leader....coming right out and declaring this disgusting and whatever else he came right out and declared. Man, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. I wonder what he thinks of that guy who got shot in neighbourhood the other day. Hmmmm, he didn't say anything about that. Isn't he going to comment on that crime also?

Harper should bring in the war measures act. Man, he's a decisive leader....coming right out and declaring this disgusting and whatever else he came right out and declared. Man, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. I wonder what he thinks of that guy who got shot in neighbourhood the other day. Hmmmm, he didn't say anything about that. Isn't he going to comment on that crime also?

Yup, just like True Dope did for a half-dozen disoriented people who called themselves the FLQ.

Yep, who cares? Don't punish him, that's what ah said, huh? :rolleyes:

Could be a young offender?? IS a young offender, but has not been charged with anything, so I think the Citizen is in the clear on this one. How would you react if you picked up the paper and discovered it was YOUR kid on the cover? I bet total embarassment would be just shy of how you would feel. My dad would have beat the tar out of me for such blatent disrespect of public property. I would feel utter shame if that was me or my kid or even a close friend on the cover. Utter f*cking shame.

He should feel like an ass, cause he is an ass. I agree with I Miss Regan on this one myself.

Could be a young offender?? IS a young offender, but has not been charged with anything, so I think the Citizen is in the clear on this one.

They know who it as and aren't charging him? Is there a news item on that?

How would you react if you picked up the paper and discovered it was YOUR kid on the cover?

I'd react the same as you, but I sure as h#ll would not want my kid going to jail over it.

Kids make stupid mistakes, and they deserve punishment but nobody would be making my kid a martyr for the sake of a appeasing the outrage of intollerant old f@rts.

And I repeat, PM Harper should have kept his mouth shut over this. Political opportunism of that kind is not worthy of the nations leader.

Yup, just like True Dope did for a half-dozen disoriented people who called themselves the FLQ.

:lol: Good call.

Kids make stupid mistakes, and they deserve punishment but nobody would be making my kid a martyr for the sake of a appeasing the outrage of intollerant old f@rts.

"Intollerant old farts"? Is that what people are who are offended by someone urinating on the memory of thousands of dead kids? How narrow minded of these prudes who are offended. We should be more open minded to this kind of stuff. Perhaps you and I should go streak next year's rememberance day ceremony. I'll give you a buck if you goose the Governer General on the way. How about we egg a legion next weekend? We'll knock some of those intollerant old farts on their butts as they walk to the curling rink. Perhaps you could grab one of their medals and pee on it for kicks. That'd be fun. :rolleyes:

"Intollerant old farts"? Is that what people are who are offended by someone urinating on the memory of thousands of dead kids? How narrow minded of these prudes who are offended. We should be more open minded to this kind of stuff. Perhaps you and I should go streak next year's rememberance day ceremony. I'll give you a buck if you goose the Governer General on the way. How about we egg a legion next weekend? We'll knock some of those intollerant old farts on their butts as they walk to the curling rink. Perhaps you could grab one of their medals and pee on it for kicks. That'd be fun. :rolleyes:

I totally agree. The Left must draw the line at disrespect of those whose blod gave them the right to spout their nonesense.

Could be a young offender?? IS a young offender, but has not been charged with anything, so I think the Citizen is in the clear on this one.

They know who it as and aren't charging him? Is there a news item on that?

How would you react if you picked up the paper and discovered it was YOUR kid on the cover?

I'd react the same as you, but I sure as h#ll would not want my kid going to jail over it.

And I repeat, PM Harper should have kept his mouth shut over this. Political opportunism of that kind is not worthy of the nations leader.

You realize it is a NATIONAL MONUMENT FOR OUR DEAD SOLDIERS. Harper SHOULD say something about it. It is the tomb of the unknown canadian soldier. Public property of ANY kind is not an acceptable place to just piss whereever you want. I see people downtown Ottawa do that all the time. Drunk people who are too drunk to have a little control and self respect.

Jail time may be a bit much I agree, but a heafty fine and some community service should set him straight. Or maybe some public speaking tours. "yes I am one among many jerks who pissed on the unkown soldier tomb/monument.

If this is not acceptable, why don't we piss on all monuments. How about the Eternal Flame near the front gate of Parliment? Samuel Champlain's statue that overlooks the Ottawa River? (also my favourite vantage point in the whole city)

Have some self respect, and some self control. We live in a civilized modern society. We have toilets and indoor plumbing.

Maybe these people were drunk and did'nt realize what they were doing, if it was deliberate then I would hope they're dealt with as harshly as the law would allow...... now if it was the Trudeau statue they were relieving themsleves upon that is something I would call in good taste and appropriate........

Maybe these people were drunk and did'nt realize what they were doing, if it was deliberate then I would hope they're dealt with as harshly as the law would allow...... now if it was the Trudeau statue they were relieving themsleves upon that is something I would call in good taste and appropriate........

CTV reported three of these individuals were from Montreal.

Maybe customs are different in Quebec.

Why do I get the feeling that this will lead inexorably to a "free speech" defense at the Supreme Court?

If this werein the US, this would be considered "conduct", which is not protected, rather than "speech", which is.

You mean conduct like burning a flag?

You mean conduct like burning a flag?

Localities can ban open burning, and flag burning would violate that. Where US courts have gone a bit ditsy is to state that Congress cannot regulate flag burning in and of itself as a vial activiity.