The Atlantica Party

I have a suggestion.

If Newfoundlanders are not satisfied with what outside oil companies want to make in profits, Newfoundlanders should put up the money themselves. That way Newfoundlanders will have the control.

I know that the government of Newfoundland has offered to buyout the federal's government share of Hibernia but were flatly turned down. And I believe that the oil companies have no intention of seeling their share of the oil fields. The reason being is that the oil fields are too much of a "cash cow." So unfortunately, there is not much Newfoundland can do in gaining more control.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that the government of Newfoundland has offered to buyout the federal's government share of Hibernia but were flatly turned down. And I believe that the oil companies have no intention of seeling their share of the oil fields. The reason being is that the oil fields are too much of a "cash cow." So unfortunately, there is not much Newfoundland can do in gaining more control.
If Newfoundlanders do not have the money they should save up.

Do you want every other Canadian to pay for it?

Forgive me for coming across as very harsh, but if I want something and I can not afford it, I have borrow. If nobody wants to lend me the money, I eat humble pie and ask my family or friends. If they do not have the money, I have to save up.

I realize that throughout the entire country, different regions get money from other regions and thus, it may seem unfair to Newfoundland to not get a handout. However, I feel the same way for every Canadian. Nobody deserves a handout from the tax-payer. There are poor people in Canada and I do not think it is fair to pick favorites.

[/size]If Newfoundlanders do not have the money they should save up.

Do you want every other Canadian to pay for it?

Forgive me for coming across as very harsh, but if I want something and I can not afford it, I have borrow. If nobody wants to lend me the money, I eat humble pie and ask my family or friends. If they do not have the money, I have to save up.

I realize that throughout the entire country, different regions get money from other regions and thus, it may seem unfair to Newfoundland to not get a handout. However, I feel the same way for every Canadian. Nobody deserves a handout from the tax-payer. There are poor people in Canada and I do not think it is fair to pick favorites.

You don't seem to understand. The provincial govt. is willing to purchase the Federal's govt share of the Hibernia oil field and even entertained buying out Mobile Exxon's share of the oil field. This was without any monies from the Federal govt., therefore no other Canadians would have to pay for it.

And in regards to the royalties from the oil companies, the Federal govt has nothing to do with this other then perhaps grabbing a share for themselves (so this means more money for Canadians on a whole not less)

The provincial govt. is willing to purchase the Federal's govt share of the Hibernia oil field and even entertained buying out Mobile Exxon's share of the oil field.
Do you have a link to that claim?

I know that the federal government was thinking of selling its 8.5% share in Hibernia and Williams asked that it be transferred (as in freebie) to the Newfoundland government. (Keep in mind that the federal government acquired its share in 1992 when Mulroney ponied up because others were bailing out. Hibernia was a very risky proposition.) As to MobileExxon, Williams threaten to force it to sell out to the other partners as an attempt to get it divulge financial information.

Williams is going around claiming that he's being ripped off. He's about to scupper the Hebron deal because of his intransigeance.

I happen to think Newfoundlanders have in general been poorly served by their provincial leaders. There's always a whiff of one-man show, tinpot dictator. But what do I know...

----

As to this new Atlantica Party, I notice they're in favour of electoral reform. Why? At present the four Atlantic provinces, with 2.3 million people, get 32 federal seats. PEI with 110,000 people gets 4 seats. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

From their web site, I see this:

The members of the Atlantica Party feel that this region is deserving of a proper name, and thus the term Atlantica will henceforth be used in place of Atlantic Canada.
Wow! Now that's an audacious change for the country!

Or this:

The Atlantica Party does not unequivocally support the union of the Atlantican provinces, however it does advocate further study into the benefits and detriments of such a union. Proponents of union typically cite its benefits as smaller, more efficient regional government, increased trade and economic cooperation between Atlantican provinces, and greater political clout in dealing with Ottawa, etc.
Now, this is an area where Harper might move on his own - removing provincial barriers to trade and to free movement of people. Except that Harper will run up against the objectons of provincial bureaucracies.
Whether full political and economic sovereignty is desirable depends on tangibles such as the regional capability for self-sufficiency, and intangibles such as sentimental attachment to the federation in question. Again, the Atlantica Party does not endorse sovereignty of Atlantica, it rather acknowledges the possibility and has determined to study its benefits, drawbacks, and feasibility.
Now that's a lightening call to standing up for one's rights! "... acknowledges the possibility... "

Mario Dumont on a bad day could have drafted all of this so much better. I'm sure his fees are low; the Atlantica Party should have hired him as a consultant.

Democracy is great because people can set up new parties and try to get popular support. Rotsa ruck!

With what money? At least Alberta and Quebec can threaten removal from equalisation and things like that. Atlantic Canada is 3rd world without the rest of Canada, they have no real regional power besides politically correct decisions to gain a few (over-represented) seats.

3rd world?!? Maybe Atlantic Canada might not be as prosperous as Alberta or Ontario but to say third world is pushing it beyond the lines of extreme. With oil and gas in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, the nickel and iron ore mines in Lbarador, a revamped fishery that doesn't have have to deal with the federal goverment of Canada, argiculture especially in the Maritimes, potential hydro in Labrador and a possible revamp of the bad Lower Churchill deal with Quebec. And this is just off the top of my head.

Africa is one of the most resource rich continents in the world. Saskatchewan has more resource wealth then Alberta.

Stuff in the ground or in the sea means dick.

The provincial govt. is willing to purchase the Federal's govt share of the Hibernia oil field and even entertained buying out Mobile Exxon's share of the oil field.
Do you have a link to that claim?

I know that the federal government was thinking of selling its 8.5% share in Hibernia and Williams asked that it be transferred (as in freebie) to the Newfoundland government. (Keep in mind that the federal government acquired its share in 1992 when Mulroney ponied up because others were bailing out. Hibernia was a very risky proposition.) As to MobileExxon, Williams threaten to force it to sell out to the other partners as an attempt to get it divulge financial information.

Williams is going around claiming that he's being ripped off. He's about to scupper the Hebron deal because of his intransigeance.

I happen to think Newfoundlanders have in general been poorly served by their provincial leaders. There's always a whiff of one-man show, tinpot dictator. But what do I know...

This link Cash cow lays out the provincial govt. idea to purchase the Federal government share. Here's an excerpt:

Our position before was that they should transfer it to us,” says Williams, “That’s simply not on. I don’t think that’s going to happen.”

He says the province would be interested in purchasing the share at a reduced rate instead.

“I don’t want to pay the peak price for it,” Williams says. “I’d like to say fine, give us an opportunity to buy this at a carried interest basis, whereby as it earns income we can pay it off, so we don’t have to outlay $100 million or whatever it happens to be.”

And regarding Mobil Exxon. I couldn't find a link saying that the govt would buy out MobileExxon, but I remember him mentioning it on local TV. I do admit that I may have misheard or misundertsood what he said. You are generally right on what he did say (on the links I have found) but here's more info from a link Hebron shelved; Williams takes aim at Exxon

Here's some excerpts:

The proponents of the Hebron oil field have shelved the project, with Premier Danny Williams suggesting he is prepared to have the provincial government replace the partner he blames for delaying development.

Williams said Monday that ExxonMobil, which owns the greatest stake in what would be the fourth oil play off Newfoundland and Labrador, got cold feet late last week during negotiations to close a development deal.

"I'm saying to ExxonMobil right now that if you don't want to move on with this project, then we would be prepared to take you out," said Williams, who added his government is prepared to take on a greater equity stake with remaining partners.

Williams said provincial negotiators were close to reaching an equity stake of five per cent.

Williams said Monday that hopes for a negotiated deal by a March 31 deadline looked good late last week, until the companies asked for tax credits and exemption on fuel costs

Seems to me that it was ExxonMobil that scuttled the deal not the Newfoundland govt.

There have been lacklusture Newfoundland ex-Premiers, in my opinion. such as Brian Peckford and Brian Tobin but I have to say that Danny Williams does not fit the way you portray him. He hasn't been suckered like Peckford was with the Sprung Greenhouse fiasco and he didn't sign a bad deal with Inco or almost sign a bad deal with Quebec over the Lower Churchill like Roger Grimes.

Newfoundland is in the best shape it has been in years and Williams has done this by being tough with various negotiations, unlike many former Premiers that would give in to companies to get some short-term jobs but no long term gain for Newfoundland. He's been tough with business and tough with the Federal government and he hasn't played favourites as he has been tough with unions as well. A year or so ago, he allowed the Auditor General access to info that was blocked by previous govts and because of that, some of the MHAs including from his own party, have been caught doing possible fraudulent activites...so he is starting to clean up the government as well. I have to admit that it's strange for me to praise a Conservative premier but he deserves it and the level of popularity is one of the highest it has ever been for a sitting govt. in Newfoundland. And he's willing to fight the Federal Tory government if that don't come through with their election promises such as monies for the Trans Labrador Highway and too work on custodial management of the Grand Banks.

There have been some that call him dictorial like the Liberal opposition (shocker that) but in my opinion, he can't touch Stephen Harper with it comes to being dictorial.

The secret is too manage the resources well. For example with the fishery, it should be managed by people that know it and live right next to the resource, not by beaucrats in Ottawa who don't have a clue.

And in regards to developing resources, a province must get the best deal possible under the circumstances, allow long term benefits for the province and its people and have provisions if circumstances change. Alberta obviously did that with the oil years ago and are now reaping the benefits just as Newfoundland and Nova Scotia is trying to do now. And lets' face it, the oil companies are raking in billions and billions of dollars in profit, so NL and NS should get the best possible deal and hold out if necessary because we all know that oil is a non-renewable resource and the benefits will only last so long.

Newfoundland, for too long was suckered by companies, because Newfoundland was only looking at job creation (and in some cases, short-term,) Often, the raw resources (fish, paper, etc.) was shipped to mainland Canada and elsewhere, where the money was really made in value-added activities such as manufacturing. It's almost like Newfoundland getting $0.20 per fish, then shipping away where it was processed elsewhere, then the processed fish, ready to be sold to customers, was worth $10. The big money was being made elsewhere. This practise is slowly changing by it's still a big problem

The secret is too manage the resources well. For example with the fishery, it should be managed by people that know it and live right next to the resource, not by beaucrats in Ottawa who don't have a clue.

And in regards to developing resources, a province must get the best deal possible under the circumstances, allow long term benefits for the province and its people and have provisions if circumstances change. Alberta obviosuly did that with the oil years ago and are now reaping the benefits just as Newfoundland and Nova Scotia is trying to do now. And lets' face it, the oil companies are raking in billions and billions of dollars in profit, so NL and NS should get the best possible deal and hold out if necessary because we all know that oil is a non-renewable resource and the benefits will only last so long.

Newfoundland, for too long was suckered by companies, because Newfoundland was only looking at job creation (and in some cases, short-term,) Often, the raw resources (fish, paper, etc.) was shipped to mainland Canada and elsewhere, where the money was really made in value-added activities such as manufacturing. It's almost like Newfoundland getting $0.20 per fish, then shipping away where it was processed elsewhere, then the processed fish, ready to be sold to customers, was worth $10. The big money was being made elsewhere. This practise is slowly changing by it's still a big problem

It's not about freakin' provinces getting a good deal, Alberta has never made any money per barrel in royalties, we charge unbelievably low royalties and always have. Compared to the rest of the world the Alberta government is getting royally ripped right off.

But it's rich people that make provinces rich. Rich governments mean companies and people are starving. Alberta is only as successful as big oil is inside it, keeping corporates happy and not making them pay large amounts keeps your population employed and wealthy.

The big problem with Easterners is they equate the province with their own standard of living. Hey, if the government is getting money, that must be I'll be better off. Dead wrong. You need the money, not the government, it can pay it's own bills. Lower taxes, especially on corporations is all that can save the East now.

It's not about freakin' provinces getting a good deal, Alberta has never made any money per barrel in royalties, we charge unbelievably low royalties and always have. Compared to the rest of the world the Alberta government is getting royally ripped right off.

But it's rich people that make provinces rich. Rich governments mean companies and people are starving. Alberta is only as successful as big oil is inside it, keeping corporates happy and not making them pay large amounts keeps your population employed and wealthy.

The big problem with Easterners is they equate the province with their own standard of living. Hey, if the government is getting money, that must be I'll be better off. Dead wrong. You need the money, not the government, it can pay it's own bills. Lower taxes, especially on corporations is all that can save the East now.

Seems to me that Alberta's 25% royalties after production costs are recovered is a not what I call a low royalty. And it is important that the province gets the best deal possible through negotiations with companies because we all know that the companies best interests are not the provinces and its people but to the shareholders of the company. Newfoundland had to fight tooth and nail to get a smelter build within the Inco deal (an experimental one has been built but not a fully functional one) but sadly the company has an out if the smelter is deemed unfeasible (due to unworkable technologies and the like) and while we're waiting for the smelter to be completed, the raw ore is being shipped to Ontario and Manitoba providing jobs to workers in those provinces as well as putting cash in those provinces' coffers.

Yes, there should be some give and take between the provinces and the corporations but the provinces must be careful not to give-in to the big corporations too much to avoid getting to little in return. Yes, jobs will be created and there would be short-term benefits but what about the long-term. Will they do what the forestry companies are doing now and demand concessions from its workers, government to give them huge power breaks or up and leave if they don't get their way.

As hard as it is to believe, but there are plenty of rich people here as well. Is there a study that correlates rich people with rich provinces and how about the per capita for all the provinces.

In regards to business taxes and incentives for business to work here; as far as I have read, Atlantic Canada is doing well in this regard, especially lately. Here's a few excerpts from the following link Atlantic Canada: Traditional + Emerging Industries =

But Atlantic Canada is also rapidly emerging as a business-friendly region of high-tech prowess with some of the most highly educated and motivated workers in the world. The provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador have embraced the New Economy by generously investing in education, building state-of-the-art infrastructure, and creating one the lowest-cost places in the world to do business.
This is reflected in KPMG's 2004 Competitive Alternatives study, which compares the after-tax cost of start-up and operation for 17 industry types in 11 countries. For the fourth year in a row, Canada was the overall cost leader, scoring a 9 percent advantage over U.S. baseline costs. Atlantic Canada emerged as the most competitive region in the entire KPMG study, showing an 11.6 percent cost advantage over the United States. What's more, Atlantic Canada had the lowest costs in 14 of the 17 industries studied, with four of its cities scoring in the top 10 of the 98 cities surveyed.
There are lots of reasons for this impressive showing. Atlantic Canada has worked hard to improve its business tax climate. All the provinces offer competitive incentives and financial packages at the city, provincial, and federal levels.

This is a very valid demand. I agree with it.

However, what else do Atlantic Canadians deserve?

If Canada separated from the Atlantic provinces (kicked them out and forced them to be either independent countries or one Atlantica country or some combination) what would Atlantic-Canadians do differently?

This is a very valid demand. I agree with it.

However, what else do Atlantic Canadians deserve?

If Canada separated from the Atlantic provinces (kicked them out and forced them to be either independent countries or one Atlantica country or some combination) what would Atlantic-Canadians do differently?

I believe that Atlantic Canada has recently done very positive steps in regards to turning the region around. Contrary to what many people believe, Atlantic Canada is business friendly (see my last post for details.)

First, Atlantic Canada must be aggressive in it's dealing with business. Don't just accept a deal because it offers jobs and short-term benefits. Maximize the benefits of a deal long-term (if possible) and maximize the deal for the entire region and its people. Very good deals should be had with companies in sectors that are making billions and billions of dollars in profit.

Next, stop sending raw resources elsewhere to be processed. Process and manufacture within the region and the region will get the jobs and cash not elsewhere. As I have mentioned before, this has been a problem for years and has helped other regions in cash and job creation and this trend needs to be reversed.

And sadly, though it will bode well for the economic situation in the region, small communities that rely on fishery and in some cases forestry are disappearing as they are no longer self-sustaining. The govt. will only go so far to save these communities and as the young people leave, the communities will age (people) until the communities are no more. Some of the bigger fishing communities will survive and some communities that can take advantage of tourism and aquaculture or some kind of small industry will survive but that's about it. As these communities fade away, the consequence is that govt. will not longer have to spend money to maintain them (infrastructure, energy, ferry services, roads and so on) and many of these remote communities do require a lot of money to survive. I'm sad that this is happening because part of our culture is dying along with these communities but unfortunately it's the sign of our modern times and the result of the mismanagement of the fishery (which many say will never return to what it once was)

If Atlantic Canada did indeed become a country within itself, they would have more autonomy over their resources. This would shutout Canada from making decisions that often do not favour the region. In addtion, the Atlantic (country) would have control of most of the 200 mile coastal region. They could use this to their advantage as Canada would have virtually no Atlantic zone (other then the St. Lawrence.) And the region could better push its own custodial management, unlike Canada, wouldn't be afraid to offend other countries and risk trade agreements that might impact on Ontario or the West.

Now, I believe that Atlantic Canada should stay within Canada but Atlantic Canada needs to treated with a more equal footing within the Confederation. With our limited numbers of seats, we don't have the political clout of Ontario, Quebec or the West and its hard to get our voice heard. Perhaps a senate with a equal amount of seats for the different regions may be the way to go.

If Atlantic Canada did indeed become a country within itself, they would have more autonomy over their resources. This would shutout Canada from making decisions that often do not favour the region. In addtion, the Atlantic (country) would have control of most of the 200 mile coastal region.
If you want to stay in Canada, here is a trade:

-> you get 100% resource and coastal control

in exchange for

-> Canada cancels 100% transfer payments

Does that sound reasonable?

No, you do not get more seats in the Parliament. Why you ask for more representation, I do not know.

With our limited numbers of seats, we don't have the political clout of Ontario, Quebec or the West and its hard to get our voice heard. Perhaps a senate with a equal amount of seats for the different regions may be the way to go.

Ontario 24 seats-12,541,400 people

Quebec 24 seats-7,598,100 people

New Brunswick 10 seats -752,000 people

Nova Scotia 10 seats -937,900 people

Prince Edward Island 4 seats -138,100 people

Newfoundland and Labrador 6 seats -516,000 people

Alberta 6 seats -3,256,800 people

British Columbia 6 seats-4,254,500 people

Manitoba 6 seats-1,177,600 people

Saskatchewan 6 seats -994,100 people

Northwest Territories 1 seat -43,000 people

Nunavut 1 seat -30,000 people

Yukon 1 seat -31,000 people

Total 105 seats

Canada 32,270.5 people

I don't think so.

Right now Atlantic Canada has more seats for it's population and size than any other region of the country.

If anything they should be giving up some of their seats in the senate,or the government should increase the seats for some of the other provinces.

With our limited numbers of seats, we don't have the political clout of Ontario, Quebec or the West and its hard to get our voice heard. Perhaps a senate with a equal amount of seats for the different regions may be the way to go.

Total 105 seats

Canada 32,270.5 people

I don't think so.

Right now Atlantic Canada has more seats for it's population and size than any other region of the country.

If anything they should be giving up some of their seats in the senate,or the government should increase the seats for some of the other provinces.

If we wish to keep with the whole "Equal representation" cherade then Atlantic Canada needs to give up 6 seats so that the regions have the same number of seats each.

Personally senate reform is the only area where I lean towards the NDP possition. Same net effect as the Tory reform idea, but much cheaper.

If Atlantic Canada did indeed become a country within itself, they would have more autonomy over their resources. This would shutout Canada from making decisions that often do not favour the region. In addtion, the Atlantic (country) would have control of most of the 200 mile coastal region.

in exchange for

No, you do not get more seats in the Parliament. Why you ask for more representation, I do not know.

Can't see it happening because the Federal govt. won't go for that.

I didn't suggest more representation for Atlantic Canada in the Parliament.

Total 105 seats

Canada 32,270.5 people

I don't think so.

That's interesting. I didn't really know the makeup of the Senate in seats. Seems like the regions are fairly equal in seats. I believe that population shouldn't matter in regards to the senate. The different regions should have an equal amount of seats, that way, a region or regions with the most people doesn't dominate.

But its seems even with the relative equality of the current senate, it doesn't seem to function very well. Perhaps because of partisanship within the Senate. Well, perhaps it should be abolished completely then

in exchange for

Can't see it happening because the Federal govt. won't go for that.

I didn't suggest more representation for Atlantic Canada in the Parliament.

Of course the Feds would go for it, it would only leave Quebec as a major burden on equalisation. If "Atlantica" joined up with the West to push that through, I can't see Ontario putting up much of a fight considering they want to pay less into confederation too.

That's interesting. I didn't really know the makeup of the Senate in seats. Seems like the regions are fairly equal in seats. I believe that population shouldn't matter in regards to the senate. The different regions should have an equal amount of seats, that way, a region or regions with the most people doesn't dominate.

But its seems even with the relative equality of the current senate, it doesn't seem to function very well. Perhaps because of partisanship within the Senate. Well, perhaps it should be abolished completely then

Each area does have the same number of seats... West 24, Ontario 24, Quebec 24, Atlantic 24... Newfoundland is the big catch in the issue though I don't think most Atlantic Canadian's consider them really in the same region... at least thats the impression I get when I've visited.

Great mountain biking by the way, no BC or Alberta level of course, but its a good reason for you to stay in Canada, for my enjoyment. :)

• 6 months later...

We have just released our first ever policy platform!

The Atlantica Party will introduce Single Transferable Vote (STV) for provincial elections and ban election contributions from all sources in favor of equal election financing for each candidate. These reforms are needed to ensure fairer elections, allow more political voices to be heard, encourage citizens to become engaged in elections, and present voters with more electoral choice.

The Atlantica Party will reform the provincial political system by re-establishing the independence of the Legislature from the Executive. This sharing of powers between the citizen's representatives in the Legislature and the Executive will encourage freer debate, better decision making, and establish stricter public oversight of government operations. The Atlantica Party will also institute in a prudent fashion several direct democracy tools for use by citizens, including Citizen's Initiative and Recall.

The Atlantica Party commits to increasing the voice of the region within Confederation in order to reverse the neglect of this region by the Federal Government.

To learn more about our policies or about the party please visit us at www.atlanticaparty.ca

You can email us at [email protected] or reply to this email.

For discussion please visit our new discussion forum at www.atlanticaparty.ca/forum

Enjoy.

The Atlantica Party Executive.

Leading The Movement For Real Reform.

Everytime the maritimes try to come up with a way to fix our provinces we get ridiculed and basically told to go back and play the fiddle.

Last year PEI had a chance to be a leader in electoral reform.

After several years of study,it had all culminated in a recommendation that the province adopt a Mixed-Member Proportional (MMP)

What a dog's breakfast that was! All these PR electoral schemes are profoundly flawed -- unwieldy, and designed to give power to electoral losers. Voters in all provinces are right to say no thanks.

Newfoundland's tax the hell out of oil policy sure works doesn't it. Alberta gets far less per barrel of oil than Newfoundland, that's why we are rich, because we have low taxes and low royalties. You'll see that trend throughout Canada.

Alberta gets far less per barrel because Alberta has far more oil and can afford to charge close to nothing in return for it. If NFLD allowed the same rates for its oil as Alberta, the oil will be gone in no time and NFLDers will be back panhandling. There is the additional disadvantage that oil companies demand even better deals than they get in Alberta because they know NFLD is in trouble and figure that NFLD can't refuse even peanuts.

Rich governments mean companies and people are starving. Alberta is only as successful as big oil is inside it, keeping corporates happy and not making them pay large amounts keeps your population employed and wealthy.

That's a true genious. Eastern governments are stupid and think that the pie is of fixed size and stall economic development to get a bigger piece of the fixed pie at the expense of the population. Buy Danny a golden throne to sit on with the money. They should be grateful that you are around to solve all their problems - just lower taxes to close to nothing and there will be a multi-millionaire in every house. I tell you, with the ease you solve the East's problems that thousands of competent people have worked on and haven't managed to solve, you are truly a genious deserving all Nobel prizes - from economics to peace.

"The big problem with Easterners is they equate the province with their own standard of living. Hey, if the government is getting money, that must be I'll be better off. Dead wrong. You need the money, not the government, it can pay it's own bills. Lower taxes, especially on corporations is all that can save the East now."

I agree with this for sure. Unfortunately Atlantic Canadians want more more more in terms of services("I want the best services no matter were I live") without realizing this is why there tax bill is so high. Lower taxes and aggressive business strategy is what the region needs..not "more health care funding."

I'm on the wrong side of the country, but you get a tip of the hat from me. Anyone proposing more provincial autonomy and fiscal responsibility get's my support.

I really don't like much of your democratic reform concepts. Some of it, sure, the rest of it is a little radical for the general population. Seperating the House and the Executive in Canada or even provincially would require an entire rewrite of our political system. I like the idea, but it won't sell.

Are you trying to win Provincially or Federally? It's not clear from your website. You may want to remedy that.

Don't be discouraged by the initial trouble, the Alberta Alliance won a seat on a platform close to yours, though socially conservative (it is Alberta after all).

Best of luck.