Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" tops "Break up"

How can any of us "live" by what he's saying? The point is our society is structured so that it is nearly impossible to function without burning fossil fuels and living unsustainably. You aren't a hypocrite for pointing that out, but you are if you claim to have people's best interests at heart and continue to ignore reality.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shall rephrase: It's easy to hold Gore up to an impossible standard and then call him a hypocrite for not living up to it.

<heh> I hear ya. It was to be expected in this blogging world where they look up the videos you rent to see if you are socially this or that, see what library books you taken out, see how your house is heated, etc.

Gandhi ws reported to have taken medicine meant for his wife. It wasn't a shining moment but in the life of one man, it is par for the course.

I take it then that you agree we should all be doing something on global warming
Ultimately, it'll be technology that provides us with the necessary solutions.

I hope so too, but that will require investment. Investment will require a significant, but hopefully gradual, continual rise in the cost of oil to make alternative technologies economically feasible. Of course, it's likely naive to think that we can replace the foundation of our economy without significant pain, but total pessimism won't get us anywhere.

Anyway, peak oil and global warming are two completely different scenarios. In terms of the real topic of this thread, global warming, I can't help but be pessimistic. I just hope all the scientists are wrong because I can't imagine there's anything we can do about it.