Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" tops "Break up"

I have to admit it was a good selling job by Gore and no doubt backed by clubs such as the Sierra Club and Greenpeace, spreading their gospel, but at the end of the day it doesn't look like this movie got any traction with the mainstream. And when you're selling junk science, the truth will indeed eventually come out.

No traction in the mainstream? Junk science? You're either delusional, or partisan.

Global warming is a hell of a thing to be partisan about.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need a movie by Al Gore to know about Global Warming. While he travels the World crying about Global Warming he uses private jets and tour buses that contribute to the problem, what a Hypocrite!

South Park's "Man Bear Pig" starting Al Gore.

You know Al Gore is a Real Loser when South Park creators Trey Parker & Matt Stone mock him and his fear mongering on Global Warming..

South Park's "Man Bear Pig" Link

No traction in the mainstream? Junk science? You're either delusional, or partisan.

I actually laughed out loud when I read this post.

UPDATE: What would have made it even better would have been if you'd ended the post, "GORE FOR PRESIDENT!!!"

I actually laughed out loud when I read this post.

UPDATE: What would have made it even better would have been if you'd ended the post, "GORE FOR PRESIDENT!!!"

And the point of your post (beyond trolling/baiting) is......?

Al Gore is not running for President, btw. Global Warming is what he's devoted to. All the non-idiots in this world would do well to pay attention....put asside their partisan pettiness and worries about political opponents and think of things bigger than the next midterm or President.

And the point of your post (beyond trolling/baiting) is......?

For the second time tonight, I'll remind you that accusing other members of trolling is against forum rules.

Besides which, you only started this thread so you could shill for Gore's movie, which is spamming. (Oh goodness - did I just accuse you of spamming? That's also against the rules. Oh well. Maybe two wrongs can make a right, just this once.)

Al Gore is not running for President, btw.

Tell it to these people. (I love how the site is called "Al Gore 2008" but the url is "algore04.com". You get a real sense of history from details like that.)

Global Warming is what he's devoted to. All the non-idiots in this world would do well to pay attention....put asside their partisan pettiness and worries about political opponents and think of things bigger than the next midterm or President.

You are one of the most nakedly partisan posters I've ever seen on every other thread, so it's just hilarious to see you demand that partisanship be considered verbotten for your own pet topic. Besides which, everyone knows Gore is just using the green movement to climb his way back up the greased pole in Washington, the same as he always has.

For the second time tonight, I'll remind you that accusing other members of trolling is against forum rules.

Besides which, you only started this thread so you could shill for Gore's movie, which is spamming.

You are free to complain.

For my part, I will call a spade a spade. You are baiting and trolling me, and if that's against the rules I will be warned.

Do you enjoy this departure from intelligent debate?

I realize this is several days after the fact but would you guys knock off the "You said" "Did not" "Did too" nonsense.

IMDb has Gore's movie doing a respectable $3 million a week and playing on a steady 500 screens. That's an extremely good $6000/screen weekly. Distributors love films like that and there's a chance it'll plod along at the same speed all through the summer. The movie's been well-marketed.

$13,364,881 (USA) (2 July 2006)

$9,630,014 (USA) (25 June 2006)

$6,567,780 (USA) (18 June 2006)

$3,983,071 (USA) (11 June 2006)

$1,937,361 (USA) (4 June 2006)

$490,860 (USA) (28 May 2006)

Weekend Gross

$1,690,035 (USA) (2 July 2006) (587 Screens)

$2,016,408 (USA) (25 June 2006) (514 Screens)

$1,911,747 (USA) (18 June 2006) (403 Screens)

$1,504,701 (USA) (11 June 2006) (122 Screens)

$1,356,387 (USA) (4 June 2006) (77 Screens)

$367,311 (USA) (28 May 2006)

I don't need a movie by Al Gore to know about Global Warming. While he travels the World crying about Global Warming he uses private jets and tour buses that contribute to the problem, what a Hypocrite!
Are you suggesting that Al Gore stop breathing? (Anyway, the movie shows Gore in airports like the rest of us, pulling his luggage. He apparently sometimes flies commercial.)

The point is not to stop all greenhouse gas emissions. Instead, we have to go about this in a more intelligent fashion. At present, it's a free-for-all and anyone can emit any gas they want (pun intended). If people could dump garbage on your front lawn and you had no way to stop them, what would your property look like in six months?

Canada's Great Lakes are now cleaner, the Ozone layer has been protected and Acid Rain is less problematic because we collectively took action. It is wrong to pretend that environmental problems are imaginary. When something appears to be free, people will tend to overuse it.

I am no science wizard, but it seems to me that there is something going on with the environment. Open ice at the north pole, ozone holes at the south pole, chuncks of ices miles long and wide breaking off in the Antarctic, these things are not "normal" Perhaps on a global lifespan scale they may be, but not in my life time. I live in Alberta, and I remember the Columbia Icefield used to be a damned sight closer than it is now to the parking lot.

Eskimos have seen lightning, that is beyond not just living memory but beyond the story telling experience of those folks. Something is happening.

By the time the acedemics and spin doctors have decided anything I figure that for all intents and purposes the equator will seem to have moved about 15 degrees north! When the Americans run out of water from draining that big aquifer in the midwest, opinions on this "junk science" will change I think.

Are you suggesting that Al Gore stop breathing?

That's the moronic argument he's making.

Nobody can say anything about global warming (or any other environmental concern) unless they live in the bush with a loin cloth. That's the ad hom argument of folks like Johnny Utah.

The point is not to stop all greenhouse gas emissions. Instead, we have to go about this in a more intelligent fashion.

Exactly. Unfortunately, an "intelligent" approach to tackling the problem is being cramped by those who won't admit humans human greenhouse gas creation is causing the problem.

Exactly. Unfortunately, an "intelligent" approach to tackling the problem is being cramped by those who won't admit humans human greenhouse gas creation is causing the problem.

Sorry gerry, in all the excitement I've missed your intelligent approach. What was that again?

Nevermind troll.

Just the sort of response I've come to expect from you. You don't have a serious, intelligent position on this issue, so you slough off serious questions with unwarranted ad hominem. You're a shame on this forum.

UPDATE: And by the way, "Never mind" is two words.

Can't you see how, by saying our society is too dependent on oil and by still living in that society, Gore must be a hypocrite? Therefore, we don't need to further discuss this issue. :D

What a remarkably facile and ironic comment, coming from someone who supports the position that the scientific debate on anthropogenic warming is over.

If we're too dependant on oil, what is the upper threshold of "not too dependant"? When will we be in a position to say that our oil dependancy is under control? What would satisfy you in this regard?

If we're too dependant on oil, what is the upper threshold of "not too dependant"? When will we be in a position to say that our oil dependancy is under control? What would satisfy you in this regard?

What is "not too dependent?" At this stage, I believe the only thing that will reduce our dependence is the brute force of $200-$300 a barrel. Then you will find less dependency, as Hummers are scrapped and McMansions go vacant, as hyper-inflation goes into overdrive and the middle class disappears.

What would satisfy me is a recognition that peak oil is probably here, and that the only thing that will save us is an increase in funding of research into alternative technologies. If the oil companies want to avoid this issue for the sake of maximizing their profits, then government should tax them accordingly and take the lead into this research.

Then I'd be satisfied.

What is "not too dependent?" At this stage, I believe the only thing that will reduce our dependence is the brute force of $200-$300 a barrel. Then you will find less dependency, as Hummers are scrapped and McMansions go vacant, as hyper-inflation goes into overdrive and the middle class disappears.

What would satisfy me is a recognition that peak oil is probably here, and that the only thing that will save us is an increase in funding of research into alternative technologies. If the oil companies want to avoid this issue for the sake of maximizing their profits, then government should tax them accordingly and take the lead into this research.

Then I'd be satisfied.

No worries, then. $300-a-barrel oil is on it's way. What may make a difference (I hope) is new technology like the Scuderi engine.

What a remarkably facile and ironic comment, coming from someone who supports the position that the scientific debate on anthropogenic warming is over.

Are you a scientist? Did'nt think so.

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/Climate_Change/...ce/Skeptics.asp

Sit down, shut up. The debate on whether its happening is over - only sycophants and paid corporate shrills persist.

Are you a scientist? Did'nt think so.

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/Climate_Change/...ce/Skeptics.asp

Sit down, shut up. The debate on whether its happening is over - only sycophants and paid corporate shrills persist.

On this issue I'm as much of a scientist as David Suzuki is. I've already read and commented on Mr. Suzuki's Skeptics page on another thread. Do a search of the forum for your response. And cut it with the ad hom. I'm neither a sycophant nor a shill, just someone more concerned with scientific truth than you are.

On this issue I'm as much of a scientist as David Suzuki is.

Hardly.

I've already read and commented on Mr. Suzuki's Skeptics page on another thread. Do a search of the forum for your response. And cut it with the ad hom. I'm neither a sycophant nor a shill, just someone more concerned with scientific truth than you are.

I hope that you are young enough to live to admit you were wrong.

Would you guys knock of the "Jerk!" "Bigger jerk!" "Sez who?" "Sez me!"

Oil is not going to $200/barrel anytime soon. In the past eight years, it has gone from $10 to $70/barrel and that has already brought into play many reactions. In general, people are looking for new sources and people are looking for ways to consume less.
You're joking, right? You want the government to tax individual effort to subsidize bureaucratic effort. That's an obvious solution to our problems.

Look, peak oil ain't here and never will be. Worrying about running out of oil is like worrying about running out of land. (There not making any more! Oh no!)

Global warming is an entirely different issue and there is every reason to be concerned.

In very simple terms, oil is not a problem because somebody owns most of it. The environment is a problem because nobody owns it. When something appears to be free, then in general eventually, you'll have a problem. And that's exactly what global warming is.

Look, peak oil ain't here and never will be. Worrying about running out of oil is like worrying about running out of land.

Huh?

Peak oil is a valid economic hypothesis, and has nothing to do with 'running out of oil'. Peak oil is when we have reached maximum daily production, and yet demand continues to grow, as will happen with the emerging economies of China and India. They will increasingly compete for a share of global oil production, driving prices up to the benefit of international oil companies.

In fact, the current oil prices may have nothing to do with 'regional instabilites' and everything to do with the current production rates. The Saudis are notoriously secretive about production figures, therefore it is hard to gauge what kind of world capacity we currently have.

Peak oil is a valid economic hypothesis, and has nothing to do with 'running out of oil'. Peak oil is when we have reached maximum daily production, and yet demand continues to grow...
Peak oil is not a valid economic hypothesis. It's a valid geological hypothesis. The way prices mesh with the world around us is the source of so much confusion. (Aside: I have always felt that an engineering degree with an MBA is an excellent and unfortunately rare combination.)
The Saudis are notoriously secretive about production figures, therefore it is hard to gauge what kind of world capacity we currently have.
Hmmm. The Saudis.

Machinations, maybe this argument will work. If the peak oil theory were true, then the Saudis would be wise to leave the oil in the ground, wait ten years, and then start to pump it out. According to peak oil theory, the price will be $300/barrel in ten years. Why sell oil for $70 now when you can get $300 in 10 years? What other investment offers a 400% return over 10 years?

Machinations, maybe this argument will work. If the peak oil theory were true, then the Saudis would be wise to leave the oil in the ground, wait ten years, and then start to pump it out. According to peak oil theory, the price will be $300/barrel in ten years. Why sell oil for $70 now when you can get $300 in 10 years? What other investment offers a 400% return over 10 years?

The Saudi government runs on a steady cash from oil. I'm not sure they could wait 10 years without the government falling and all hell breaking loose. In fact, all hell could break loose there anyways.

Maybe Alberta could hold on to their oil for 10 years. <heh>