U.S. adapts English

Ladies and gentleman the 'national language of the U.S.' will be officially English.

The U.S. Senate voted to make English the "national language" of the United States as part of legislation overhauling immigration policy.

The amendment passed by a margin of 63-34.

"This is a historic vote in support that has united Americans for more than two centuries" said Mauro E. Mujica, Chairman of the Board of U.S. English incorporated.

" Making English the national language is a longstanding oversight that to-days Senate vote corrected. To-day's vote heeded the voices of the vast majority of Americans who believe English is a crucial part of being American."

He also said " In our diverse country we must focus on things that bring us together. Without a common language, we we are not a nation of immigrants, but instead a group of immigrants living a nation."

See story:

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=66084

I think you mean "adopts" English. ;)

But what are they thinking?? Didn't they fight a revolution to get rid of the English? :lol:

Surely they should adopt "American" as their offical language. It's an interesting language, American, quite similar to English, but includes words like "misunderestimate" and "donut", curiously omits the "u" from words like "colour" and has odd prounciations of common words like "foyer" (in American: "foi-err") and "roof" ("ruuf"). :P

Black dog

You wrote- " I think you mean "adopts" English."

Excellent observation, but unlike federal officials I don't have a team of 57 secretaries to check and recheck a five word memo. But be aware I have noticed quite a few BD spelling errors, but does that make you a bad dog...hey, no way. Adapt fits in also as new immigrants will have to adapt to learn and speak the English language.

You also wrote- " Surely they should adopt " American" as their official language."

They did and it's called American English or U.S. English and it's also spoken with different dialects in different states or regionally across the U.S.

Just like Canadian English dialect varies in different parts of the country and is a mix of American, British, Franglais and unique Canadianisms and is spoken by 85% of Canadians. Canadian spelling of the English language combines British and American rules.

Quebec French is also different French than parisien French and contains a lot of slang.

Dear Leafless,

They did and it's called American English or U.S. English and it's also spoken with different dialects in different states or regionally across the U.S.
Indeed, some computer software comes with language choices, including :English(US) or English (UK). Canada uses some of each, really.

Other than that, I think Black Dog was teasing. He does make errors, as do I sometimes, but BD's seem to be mostly from typing too fast.

Well, where are all the howls of approval and shouts for joy.

Now it seems Quebec and the U.S. have an 'official language and it's only the ROC (rest of Canada) that doesn't.

So when is the big day going happen??

It seems there isn't much interest in this subject when there should be.

What's the matter is mostly every one on this site anti-English?

Dear Leafless,

Now it seems Quebec and the U.S. have an 'official language and it's only the ROC (rest of Canada) that doesn't.

So when is the big day going happen??

It seems there isn't much interest in this subject when there should be.

What's the matter is mostly every one on this site anti-English?

No, most everyone knows Canada has two official languages...

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ca.html

Languages:

English (official) 59.3%, French (official) 23.2%, other 17.5%

So, to have just one, you would have to take away one.

theloniusfleabag

You wrote- " No, most everyone knows Canada has two official languages"

Sorry, Canada does NOT have two 'offical languages.'

The two 'official languages' your talking about are applicable on a federal level only and basically what that means is anything that falls and is controlled under federal authority is it permissable to use these two 'official federal languages.'

These two languages are NOT official across Canada on a provincial level or throughout Canada's provinces except for New Brunswick that is 'officially bilingual' meaning it incorporates both federally designated official languages by it's own choice.

Language in Canada falls under provincial jurisdiction and to date QUEBEC is the only province to declare itself 'officially French' on a provincial basis.

So, this means Quebec is officially French on a federal level and officially French on a provincial level leaving all other majority English provinces (except New Brunswick) stifled by 'federal official languages pertaining to federal bilingualism' and stifled by Quebec's provincial self proclaimed official French language status.

I would say the majority English provinces should move quickly to perserve it's English majority status in Canada.

You also wrote- " English (offical)59.3%, French (offical)23.2%, other 17.5%."

Federal language numbers do not reflect the reality of the actually language used in everyday use. I would say they are fraudulent and do not apply to real life conditons pertaining to usage across Canada and if real usage was applied to obtain such a fiqure English would be a lot more dominant just like in the federal governments own census results in which 85% of Canadians use the English language.

Dear Leafless,

Sorry, Canada does NOT have two 'offical languages.'
Au contraire, mon ami...from:

http://lois.justice.gc.ca/en/O-3.01/text.html

Official Languages Act

R.S., 1985, c. 31 (4th Supp.)

[1988, c. 38, assented to 28th July, 1988]

An Act respecting the status and use of the official languages of Canada

Preamble

WHEREAS the Constitution of Canada provides that English and French are the official languages of Canada and have equality of status and equal rights and privileges as to their use in all institutions of the Parliament and government of Canada;

You also wrote- " English (offical)59.3%, French (offical)23.2%, other 17.5%."
I didn't write it, I merely cut&pasted it from the CIA World Factbook. If you wish to claim the numbers fraudulent, take it up with the CIA.
I would say they are fraudulent and do not apply to real life conditons pertaining to usage across Canada and if real usage was applied to obtain such a fiqure English would be a lot more dominant just like in the federal governments own census results in which 85% of Canadians use the English language.
English is certainly the main language of Canada, and if we had to choose 'just one official language', that would likely be the one. 85%?? Perhaps those living in Canada that can speak some English. Those that speak only English, I would put at about the 60-70% range. I would also wager that more Canadians speak Cantonese at home (and/or punjabi) than French.

Guest Warwick Green
Ladies and gentleman the 'national language of the U.S.' will be officially English.

The U.S. Senate voted to make English the "national language" of the United States as part of legislation overhauling immigration policy.

The amendment passed by a margin of 63-34.

"This is a historic vote in support that has united Americans for more than two centuries" said Mauro E. Mujica, Chairman of the Board of U.S. English incorporated.

" Making English the national language is a longstanding oversight that to-days Senate vote corrected. To-day's vote heeded the voices of the vast majority of Americans who believe English is a crucial part of being American."

He also said " In our diverse country we must focus on things that bring us together. Without a common language, we we are not a nation of immigrants, but instead a group of immigrants living a nation."

See story:

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=66084

But what does it mean? Is it a simple matter of legislative preference with no force and effect or could it be used to prevent the states, for example, from subsidizing social services in Spanish, etc? Even if it doesn't come equipped with a bushelfull of regulations there will no doubt be those who will want to use it to keep the linguistic cauldron bubbling.

theloniusfleabag

The CIA World Factbook uses information supplied by our federal government.

Canada's federal official languages are just that, federally invented official languages to accomodate at a federal level Quebec and federal offical bilingualism and to give Quebec added federal weight pertaining to Charter issues. I suppose that's why many Canadians consider federal official languages outright discrimination.

The 'official' aspect has nothing to do with these languages being official province to province or on a provincial level across Canada which in my estimation is a misrepresentation of the federal government using the word 'official' as if to imply these languages are official and legally used across Canada.

I agree with you Canada does have have 'official federal languages' ( and that's the way it should read officially) but really means nothing pertaining to it's usage outside of the confines of limited federal jurisdiction.

Guest Warwick Green
theloniusfleabag

The CIA World Factbook uses information supplied by our federal government.

Canada's federal official languages are just that, federally invented official languages to accomodate at a federal level Quebec and federal offical bilingualism and to give Quebec added federal weight pertaining to Charter issues. I suppose that's why many Canadians consider federal official languages outright discrimination.

The 'official' aspect has nothing to do with these languages being official province to province or on a provincial level across Canada which in my estimation is a misrepresentation of the federal government using the word 'official' as if to imply these languages are official and legally used across Canada.

I agree with you Canada does have have 'official federal languages' ( and that's the way it should read officially) but really means nothing pertaining to it's usage outside of the confines of limited federal jurisdiction.

There are official languages and then there are official languages. The federal Official Languages Act merely provides for services in French and English by the federal government. On the other hand Bill 101 in Quebec restricts the private sector - signs and language of work, as examples.

Warwick Green

You wrote- " The federal Official Languages Act merely provides for services in French and English by the federal government."

It does a lot more than that.

It promotes official bilingualism into provincial provinces by encouraging them to become officially bilingual and promotes French culture.

It has created thousands of federal public service jobs for francophones and transfomed these work places so francophones can work in their own language so much so, that French it seems has taked over our federal public service with bilingual postions and transforming previous senior English mangement positons to include hard to obtain a high level of French proficiency usually only francophones can achieve.

It has a serious impact on Charter rights that promote the French culture for instance Sec. 16-(3) states " Nothing in this charter limits the authority of Parliament or a legislature to advance the equality status or use of English or french." And we know their not talking about English advancement.

Services covers a lot of territory including providing French schools, clinics, hospitals and is paid for by the general population and not only francophone tax payers.

You also wrote- " On the other hand Bill-101 resticts the private sector signs and language of work"

And this is what the English provinces should do is the same as Quebec as done, make English the official working language in English majority provinces and using the notwithstanding clause implement the same type of language restrictions Quebec has employed to protect the English language from federal attack and to preserve it as the majority language free of any bilingual interference.

Guest Warwick Green
Warwick Green

You wrote- " The federal Official Languages Act merely provides for services in French and English by the federal government."

It does a lot more than that.

It promotes official bilingualism into provincial provinces by encouraging them to become officially bilingual and promotes French culture.

It has created thousands of federal public service jobs for francophones and transfomed these work places so francophones can work in their own language so much so, that French it seems has taked over our federal public service with bilingual postions and transforming previous senior English mangement positons to include hard to obtain a high level of French proficiency usually only francophones can achieve.

It has a serious impact on Charter rights that promote the French culture for instance Sec. 16-(3) states " Nothing in this charter limits the authority of Parliament or a legislature to advance the equality status or use of English or french." And we know their not talking about English advancement.

Services covers a lot of territory including providing French schools, clinics, hospitals and is paid for by the general population and not only francophone tax payers.

You also wrote- " On the other hand Bill-101 resticts the private sector signs and language of work"

And this is what the English provinces should do is the same as Quebec as done, make English the official working language in English majority provinces and using the notwithstanding clause implement the same type of language restrictions Quebec has employed to protect the English language from federal attack and to preserve it as the majority language free of any bilingual interference.

The federal statute obliges only the public service. Quebec's law covers the private sector too. That is the essential difference between the two. Perhaps the other provinces should be doing the same as Quebec. That is a matter of judgement. But if they did they would be going further than the Official Languages Act.

Addendum:

Neither of us likes language legislation. Our efforts should be to get it rescinded, not expanded. Somehow I don't see Campbell bringing in a bill that would outlaw Chinese signs in Vancouver. :)

Warrick Green

You wrote- " The federal statute obliges only the public service."

What federal statute are you talking about, 'official languages' or 'official bilingualism'??

These work hand in hand and extend in certain areas into provinces ACTUALLY outside of federal jurisdiction and extends discriminatory rights into the Charter.

Guest Warwick Green
Warrick Green

You wrote- " The federal statute obliges only the public service."

What federal statute are you talking about, 'official languages' or 'official bilingualism'??

These work hand in hand and extend in certain areas into provinces ACTUALLY outside of federal jurisdiction and extends discriminatory rights into the Charter.

The Official Languages Act. I am not aware of it applying to the provinces since an Act of Parliament would not be binding in an area where the provinces clearly have jurisdiction, for example, schools or hospitals. And the federal act does not apply to private companies within Parliament's domain, such as banks or radio stations.

Dear Leafless,

I am not against having 'one official language' for the country, and of course, selfishly, I would prefer it to be English. I think all culture (and language' should stand on it's own merits, Frenc included. If someone wishes their storefront sign to be in Urdu, Chinese or French, they should be free to decide. This should include Quebec.

However, federally, one has a choice to conduct business in front of a judge or the taxman in English or French, whether in Quebec City or in Kelowna. If you wished to change that, as I say, you would have to 'take away' one of the official languages.

Warwick Green

You wrote- "The Official Languages Act. I am not aware of it applying to the provinces since an Act of Parliament would not be binding in an area where the provinces clearly have jurisdiction, for example, schools or hospitals. And the federal act does not apply to private companies within Parliament's domain, such as banks or radio stations."

The 'Official Languages Act" applies to the Charter and in Sec. 16(3) states " Nothing in this Charter limits the authority of Parliament or a legislature to advance the equality of status or use of English and French."

The federal government promotes 'official bilingualism' and in a city like Ottawa, Ontario with francophones in that city , they demand it. The government provides grants in certain areas concerning bilingualism and that is why in the case of Ottawa developed a bilingual policy that not only makes City of Ottawa employees binding to this policy it also makes other areas of service including hospitals in Ottawa bilingual.

Private buisness in Ottawa are also catering to this bilingualism policy by making it imperative in many cases for employees of private buisness to be fluently bilingual, so much so that it is hard to find employment in the service orv private sector unless you are bilingual.

In other words at this time the City of Ottawa for all practical reasons with a bilingual policy this policy makes the city officially bilingual. The federal bilingual policy has also assisted francophones in the province of Ontario with provincial services steming from 'The French Language Services Act' with French schools, hospitals, clinics etc. paid for by all Ontario tax payers.

This in my opinion and the opinion of others is highly discriminatory but at this moment is being fought by a group opposing this City of Ottawa bilingual policy as it almost duplicates federal style official bilingualism.

They have tried to make the province of Ontario officially bilingual but failed.

theloniusfleabag

You wrote- "However, federally, one has a choice to conduct business in front of a judge or the taxman in English or French, whether in Quebec City or in Kelowna. If you wished to change that, as I say, you would have to 'take away' one of the official languages."

We are talking making English official on a provincial level separate from the federal level...like Quebec has done in their province.

Provicial courts operate in the language they choose.

If this isn't what you mean, then I'm not sure I follow you.

Guest Warwick Green
Warwick Green

You wrote- "The Official Languages Act. I am not aware of it applying to the provinces since an Act of Parliament would not be binding in an area where the provinces clearly have jurisdiction, for example, schools or hospitals. And the federal act does not apply to private companies within Parliament's domain, such as banks or radio stations."

The 'Official Languages Act" applies to the Charter and in Sec. 16(3) states " Nothing in this Charter limits the authority of Parliament or a legislature to advance the equality of status or use of English and French."

The federal government promotes 'official bilingualism' and in a city like Ottawa, Ontario with francophones in that city , they demand it. The government provides grants in certain areas concerning bilingualism and that is why in the case of Ottawa developed a bilingual policy that not only makes City of Ottawa employees binding to this policy it also makes other areas of service including hospitals in Ottawa bilingual.

Private buisness in Ottawa are also catering to this bilingualism policy by making it imperative in many cases for employees of private buisness to be fluently bilingual, so much so that it is hard to find employment in the service orv private sector unless you are bilingual.

In other words at this time the City of Ottawa for all practical reasons with a bilingual policy this policy makes the city officially bilingual. The federal bilingual policy has also assisted francophones in the province of Ontario with provincial services steming from 'The French Language Services Act' with French schools, hospitals, clinics etc. paid for by all Ontario tax payers.

This in my opinion and the opinion of others is highly discriminatory but at this moment is being fought by a group opposing this City of Ottawa bilingual policy as it almost duplicates federal style official bilingualism.

They have tried to make the province of Ontario officially bilingual but failed.

It's hardly surprising that in Ottawa, the national capital, with its significant francophone majority, there is pressure to provide bilingual services. Go a 100 klicks down 417 to Hawkesbury, still in Ontario, and you will find that every business in town provides bilingual service. Nothing to do with official bilingualism, simply the realities of linguistic demographics. On the other hand, go into a store in Peterborough and try to get service in French.... More linguistic realities.

Warwick Green

You wrote- "It's hardly surprising that in Ottawa, the national capital, with its significant francophone majority, there is pressure to provide bilingual services. Go a 100 klicks down 417 to Hawkesbury, still in Ontario, and you will find that every business in town provides bilingual service. Nothing to do with official bilingualism, simply the realities of linguistic demographics. On the other hand, go into a store in Peterborough and try to get service in French.... More linguistic realities."

Ottawa the National Capital DOES NOT have a significant majority and this is a fabrication and is totally FALSE.

The recent City of Ottawa amalgamation has increased the francophone population by including French towns in Eastern Ontario that were previously not part of Ottawa.

Even at that, English is 50.9% English and 32.6% French.

The province is NOT 'officially bilingual' with the mayor of Ottawa Bob Chirallei a federal Liberal supporter who has created this City of Ottawa's bilingual policy on his own iniative without the consent of the tax payers of Ottawa creating a major discriminatory policy for Ottawa residents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa

Guest Warwick Green
The province is NOT 'officially bilingual' with the mayor of Ottawa Bob Chirallei a federal Liberal supporter who has created this City of Ottawa's bilingual policy on his own iniative without the consent of the tax payers of Ottawa creating a major discriminatory policy for Ottawa residents.

If the residents of RMOC are that up in arms about the municipalitiy's position on bilingualism they are free to vote Mr Chiarelli out of office.

BTW, my apologies, I meant to write, "significant francophone minority'

Warwick Green

You wrote:

"If the residents of RMOC are that up in arms about the municipalitiy's position on bilingualism they are free to vote Mr Chiarelli out of office."

I don't know if it's as easy as you say.

Ottawa based 'Language Fairness' is presently fighting this bylaw in court and a city lawyer Ronald Caza said " It is our positon the city can do what it is doing even if it did not pass the bylaw" He said this after citing Supreme Court legislation on language rights.

'Languge Fairness' lawyer Arthur Cogan apears to be fighting this language legislation that it violates anglophones freedom of expression as laid out in the Charter of Rights according to a Ottawa Citizen article pg.-C7, Wed. May 24/2006.

Guest Warwick Green
Warwick Green

You wrote:

"If the residents of RMOC are that up in arms about the municipalitiy's position on bilingualism they are free to vote Mr Chiarelli out of office."

I don't know if it's as easy as you say.

Ottawa based 'Language Fairness' is presently fighting this bylaw in court and a city lawyer Ronald Caza said " It is our positon the city can do what it is doing even if it did not pass the bylaw" He said this after citing Supreme Court legislation on language rights.

'Languge Fairness' lawyer Arthur Cogan apears to be fighting this language legislation that it violates anglophones freedom of expression as laid out in the Charter of Rights according to a Ottawa Citizen article pg.-C7, Wed. May 24/2006.

Has the bylaw been passed or not? Or is Ottawa doing all this by decree? What does the law do? Require bilingual services by the civic government?

I have brought up two daughters since official bilingualism came into force. I made damn sure both became fluently bilingual. And it's of great value to them. They both have job opportunties they otherwise would not have. I would encourage other parents to do the same.

Fight the law if you wish. That's up to you. But with two languages you are that much further ahead of those with only one.