Harper on TSN Tonight

I certainly hope so. I'm curious to see if Gigure starts tonight, if he doesn't, Flames have the series.

He did and look what happened. :D

Calgary lost that game, Anahiem didn't win it. Everytime in the playoffs a team scores more than 4 goals on Kipper, he wins the next games hands down. So I expect a quick 3 in a row, Flames in 5.

• 2 weeks later...

5 of 8. Sadly, I usually don't predict this accurately. :(

Detroit versus Edmonton

Seems like every year Edmonton finds themselves in this situation – facing off against the best club in the west. I think Edmonton will do better than expected, but goaltending ultimately will hurt them. Detroit in six.

Well I was right about Edmonton doing better than expected.

Dallas versus Colorado

The Stars and Av’s are always a great matchup, I don’t think that will change this year. Colorado didn’t have their best year by any stretch of the imagination, but I find it difficult to write them off easily. If Theodore can find his game, I think Colorado can upset here. Colorado in seven.

Colorado did upset, but more easily than I would have thought.

Calgary versus Anaheim

Goaltending is so important in the playoffs and Kiprusoff is one of the best. Coupled with perhaps the best defensive core in the league, Calgary will prevail over Anaheim. Calgary in five.

Surprised how impotent Calgary's offense was in the series.

Nashville versus San Jose

With the loss of Vokoun for the playoffs, I predict this to be the most lopsided first round encounter. The dynamic duo should lead the first round in scoring putting quite a few biscuits past Mason. Toskala will frustrate Kariya and friends. San Jose sweeps.

Not the most lopsided, but the Sharks finished them off with relative ease.

Ottawa versus Tampa Bay

Unfortunately for Tampa Khabibulin isn’t in net, Grahame is. I think Ottawa has too much firepower for the Lightning to handle. If Hasek was playing at 100%, I would put money on Ottawa to go all the way. But even with Emery in net, Ottawa should take this easily. Ottawa in five.

No surprise here.

Carolina versus Montreal

Huet wil be starting the series. The young goaltender recorded 7 shutouts playing in less than half of the games. Huet also has the league’s best save percentage. Although he is young and unproven, I still feel the Habs have the edge in goal. Carolina’s finish was less than stellar. Some suggest that they had the division locked up and coasted the last month of the season. Can they turn it back on? I say they don’t. Montreal in six.

The Habs up 2 to 0 heading back to Montreal should have won this. To my amazement, Cam Ward came in and turned the series around. I found the Carolina recovery more surprising than the Edmonton upset of the Red Wings.

New Jersey versus New York

I like the young Ranger goaltender, but the edge has to be given to the much more experienced Brodeur. Although the Rangers have a great first line, can the rest of the team contribute. The Devils, a more balanced squad will give New York fits. New Jersey in five.

No surprise here.

Buffalo versus Philadelphia

I like the Sabres tandem of Biron and Miller much better then Phlllie’s Esche and Nyittimaki. I don’t believe Forsberg is 100%, which will seriously jeopardize their chances in this series. I think Buffalo’s speed trumps Philadelphia’s brawn. Buffalo in five.

Buffalo skated circles around Clarke's slower, bigger players. Will the owner fire his son-in-law?

Since none of my predicted matchups for the second round will be taking place, here are my revised predictions.

Colorado and Anaheim Avs in five.

San Jose and Edmonton Sharks in six

Ottawa and Buffalo Sens in seven - although I will be rooting for Buffalo ;)

New Jersey and Carolina Devils in five

I'll stay by Cup prediction that Langenbrunner still scores in overtime to eliminate the Sharks.

My predictions ended up being nearly all wrong, 2 of 8. I predicted the top 4 in the west all win their series, and they all lost. How disgusting.

Revised predictions for the next round, after watching the playoff game of all these teams:

Colorado and Anaheim

- Anaheim is a little beat up from 7 games with the Flames, where as the Avs have had a few days to recover. Colorado is much faster and more skilled. Anaheim might have a physical edge, and a hot goalie. None the less, Colorado will likely move on.

- Colorado in 6

San Jose and Edmonton

- Edmonton barely squeaked by Detroit. Roloson is hot though, and the Sharks, while impressive, didn't play that well against an apparently incompetent Nashville.

- Edmonton in 6

Ottawa and Buffalo

- Ottawa has too much firepower, too hot to handle.

- Ottawa in 5

New Jersey and Carolina

- Jersey played a disiplined, effective, first series against New York. Carolina struggled past the Habs. Carolina lacks confidence, Jersey is playing like they own the world.

- Jersey in 5

Anyone catch the Swords and the Sens tonight....

...What a game!!!

Sabres win 7 to 6 in OT!!!

:D

I cried on the inside after that mockery.

That was an amazing game to watch from a hockey's fan's POV. You have to admit that. I know it must have hurt after all the playoff failures you've endured. On nights like these you're probably wondering if its going to happen again.

As I typed that paragraph, Anaheim scored to make it 2-0 with a little less than 9 minutes left in the second period.

5 of 8. Sadly, I usually don't predict this accurately. :(

Since none of my predicted matchups for the second round will be taking place, here are my revised predictions.

Colorado and Anaheim Avs in five.

San Jose and Edmonton Sharks in six

Ottawa and Buffalo Sens in seven - although I will be rooting for Buffalo ;)

New Jersey and Carolina Devils in five

I'll stay by Cup prediction that Langenbrunner still scores in overtime to eliminate the Sharks.

Well the Av's made it close....

...NOT.

The second round so far has been more typical of how well I usually predict playoff outcomes. :(

With the Oil making it 2-2 with a dominating win tonight it's very unlikely you will get your Sharks in 6 prediction correct.

Hopefully the Oilers have Toskala rattled.

If he can't return to the superhuman form of games one and two the Oil should be able to close it out at home on Wednesday night!!!

The second round so far has been more typical of how well I usually predict playoff outcomes. :(

0 for 4 :(

With San Jose out and their big guns having scored very little, I still have chance to win my pool, but Buffalo must beat Carolina. Winner of this series determines our pool winner.

Conference Final Predictions:

Buffalo in 7

Edmonton in 6

The opening hockey dad reference here reminds me that perhaps the most normal, representatative, middle class, middle aged Canadian federal party leader we have had in decades is none other than the supposedly "scary" Stephen Harper. Compare his family background, early career and recent financial status and tastes and lifestyle with such bizarrely untypical leaders as the spoiled multi-millionaire snotty kid and long time rootless playboy Trudeau and the born into politics and privelege and preferential access to things like bank money Paul Martin and others to see my point.

Teddy nails it. The middle, or upper-middle, class Harper seems to be someone the public can relate to. I've seen the pics of him loading up the mini-van to take the family to a hockey game. If that isn't typically Canadian, I don't know what is. :D

Guess I got that one right. :lol:

I'll go with the Oil in five and Carolina in six.

Hopefully the Oilers have Toskala rattled.

If he can't return to the superhuman form of games one and two the Oil should be able to close it out at home on Wednesday night!!!