Dalton McGuinty funds flying squirrel sex research

Ontario tax dollars at work

TORONTO, March 19 /CNW/ - With four days until the provincial budget, Progressive Conservative Party Leader John Tory today called on Dalton McGuinty to rein in his government's reckless spending after learning taxpayers are paying $150,000 for flying squirrel sex research.

"Dalton McGuinty is treating taxpayers' dollars like monopoly money," said Tory. "For $150,000 to be spent on this after Dalton McGuinty brought in the biggest tax increase in Ontario's history is inexcusable. The McGuinty government's spending is out of control - who knows what other boondoggles they have squirreled away in their upcoming budget?"

"Squirreled" away. :lol:

Dalton McGuinty created the Ministry of Research and Innovation in June 2005 and appointed himself Minister. In September 2005, his Ministry awarded a researcher at Laurentian University with a $150,000 grant to study the sex life of flying squirrels.

Perhaps this is another example of those "Canadian values" that Paul Martin was yammering about during the election...

• 2 weeks later...

Subsidizing GM is one of those few areas where we'd agree quinton.

These subsides have created a company that no longer can compete, and Ontario isn't far from losing its auto industry to Japan... where unionisation and corporate welfare haven't left their dirty fingers on Toyota and Honda.

Government shouldn't be in the business of handing out to anyone.

Better things that helping understand a species through scientific research that we've pushed to the brink of extinction?

I think not.

Did you know that there are so few flying squirrels in the Pinery Provincial Park that there is question if they have enough genetic diversity to have a viable breeding population?

The reason is because the park is too small and it is filled with tons of roads, development and campsites.

Apparently the public doesn't care about preserving any wilderness in southern Ontario. Just tiny parks which are more for recreational development than protection of fragile ecosystems.

I just want to emphasize again that I hate Dalton McGuinty.

Especially for the fact that he has not made any progressive environmental legislation since he was in office.

For starters, he did not take the leadership of stopping clearcutting in Algonquin Provincial Park, which still sneakily goes on.

When pay equity was brought in it was pretty straight forward and supported the working people, when the conservative gov't came in, Ontario, we were suddenly told that if we wanted support we should have a union. The support for the workers was gone. I know this from personal experience. I fought and won pay equity not only for my own staff but for other women in our area. I paid a high personal price in the treatment I got from the elected and appointed board in our area. I am still considered a trouble maker.

Unions for us was a laugh, we had to have individual unions and when two workers would be the union it didn't make much sense. I really believe the only use of unions is size or amount of members.

Honda and Toyota don't have unions. If you get sick or have family problems watch out you will be fired with no benefits even the ones you are entitled to. The only ones who can fight back are the ones who have no responsibilities and can get a good lawyer. Honda is continually in court for illegal firings but you won't know it because they force gags on the people suing them. I know this is true, you can win if you fight but the cost is pretty high and time consuming and to get your settlement you must sign a paper saying you will not discuss the case.

Nice free county we have don't you think.

The UAW, in my belief, became a laugh quite a while ago. The pendulum never stops in the middle. There are horrendous stories of what happened to people who were completely controlled by big companies. One comes to mind of a company town in the west where people were required to buy everything form the company store. Women who dared walk into town to shop were met on the way home and their bags of groceries destroyed the the company goons.

We all benefit from the threat of unions, as we all are hurt from the treat of a controlling body who thinks they are gods. The pensioners who were unionized at Stelco stand a great chance of any reembersement to their earned peinsions, the emplyees who were not unionized right now have no one to fight for them.

This can be your payment for working hard all your life and paying into a pension plan.

Better things that helping understand a species through scientific research that we've pushed to the brink of extinction?

I think not.

OMG you have to be kidding! Do you need a band aide for that bleeding heart of yours? Yes there are better more practical things to do with the money than fund flying squirrel sex research!

I think so.

Did you know that there are so few flying squirrels in the Pinery Provincial Park that there is question if they have enough genetic diversity to have a viable breeding population?

:rolleyes:

I wonder if they make good hats? Mittens? :lol:

I can see how wearing a flying squirrel hat or mittens could give you a psychological advantage while lugeing/skeletoning or going down mountains.

Wouldn't help you an iota in yesterday's Boston Marathon though.

How did you do?

PS - I always use those strap on Chinese umbrellas when I'm running. It gives me a lift.

I wonder if they make good hats? Mittens? :lol:

I can see how wearing a flying squirrel hat or mittens could give you a psychological advantage while lugeing/skeletoning or going down mountains.

Wouldn't help you an iota in yesterday's Boston Marathon though.

How did you do?

PS - I always use those strap on Chinese umbrellas when I'm running. It gives me a lift.

Hahaha, first place of course. I wish I could run like those Kenyans, or even just qualify for Boston. Oh well, maybe one day when my age category is a little less competitive... like 90+.

About skeleton since you mentioned it, it was enough for me to never want to do it again. I highly recommend everyone try it, if your not at risk for a heart attack, it is a huge rush. But going that fast down a track of ice with no ability to stop, wow, I'd be crazy to do it again. And I was only doing like 70km/h, apparently I have no skill, those olympic folk go twice as fast. Bloody ridiculous if you ask me. Oh well, won $50 from that bet.

I bet I would have both qualified for Boston and broke a world record in skeleton if I had a flying squirrel hat though.

If anything, Ontario needs to stop researching these beasts and just introduce a mass cull to provide all Canadians with a small token of their heritage and a competitive advantage at the next olympics.

This story is another example of 'gotcha' politics that lowers the level of policy debate in this country, as one can see in this very thread. It's a shame that Mr. Tory's conservatives are using these tactics when Mr. Harper's government seems to be intent on taking the high road with regards to political discourse.

This story is another example of 'gotcha' politics that lowers the level of policy debate in this country, as one can see in this very thread. It's a shame that Mr. Tory's conservatives are using these tactics when Mr. Harper's government seems to be intent on taking the high road with regards to political discourse.

I doubt this kind of accusation actually lowers the level of political debate in this country....but I agree that these means definitely are not an example of the high road politically speaking.

On that note though this accusation should be taken with a grain of salt, the parties always take pot shots at each other.