Senator fires back at U.S. family upset with seal hunt

The embarrassing thing about the clubbing and skinning alive of baby harp seals is that the Canadian govt pays for this. And when the sealers went over their quota by slaughtering 30,000 more baby seals, the Canadian govt merely upped their quota.

And who could ever forget National Resources Minister John Efford boasting (during his first cabinet meeting in Dec/2003) while flaunting a thigh length seal coat, "I think it's a great industry in Newfoundland. I've promoted it for years and years."

And in the Newfoundland House of Assembly on May 4, 1998, Efford cruelly stated, "I would like to see the six million seals, or whatever number is out there, killed and sold, or destroyed or burned. I do not care what happens to them. The more they kill, the better I will love it."

Let me get this straight. Killing seals is abhorrent, whereas killing other animals for human purposes is acceptable? What possible distinction is there?

Some have attempted to answer this question by commenting on the domestication of certain animals. The measurement of an animal's life is dependent on whether it was born to serve a human utility?

As for everyone drawing a distinction between cattle and seals on the basis of the age of the cubs killed, I suggest you do some research into veal. Arguably far more morally atrocious then clubbing.

The fact of it is that humans generally kill animals when it serves our purpose, whether its termites in your basement or seals for their skins, so again what is the difference?

GreenWhiteandPink

You wrote- " Humans can also eat and digest seal. There are 8oo million people that live without beef in India, so I wouldn't consider it a necessary part of the food chain."

India is a large exporter of beef.

The North American diet includes beef and poultry.

Seal meat is considered to be inedible and UNFIT for human consumption.

http://www.seashepherd.org/seals/seals_seal_hunt_facts.html

You are not providing any links to back any claims you make and therefore assume you are a troll.

Newfoundlanders and others don't own the ocean and the government of Canada has a responsibility to eliminate this seal cull especially when it's only purpose is to supply furs to affluent Europeans thereby destroying and wasting the rest of the animal.

The seasheppard society :D Give me a break. Paul Watson is a terrorist, who uses the seal harvest as money making campaign, as does the IFAW. Looks like you and Monty Burns are becoming a bunch of eco-loving treehugers. :ph34r:

The many healthy and nutritional benefits of seal products

Newfoundlamd and Labrador has just as much right to it's oceans resources as Alberta has to it's oil.

India is a large exporter of beef? Maybe or maybe your lying but regardless 800 million people that live there don't eat meat.

GreenWhiteandPink

You wrote-" Lots of facts and sources here. 'Atlantic Canada seal hunt.'

Oh great more propaganda from the sealers themselves.

You realize of course you have world opinion against the seal hunt and the only reason the federal government supports it is it a 'cheap way out'.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0319-07.htm

I guess some of the people in Atlantic Canada are trying to get back at the Europeans by selling them expensive seal pelts after Europe helped destroy the fishing industry in Atlantic Canada while the feds stood by and watched and won't be happy until nothing swims or walks.

Canadians in Atlantic Canada should demand the same kind of federal help to develop other forms of industry that was given to Quebec.

Oh great more propaganda from the sealers themselves.
As opposed to the anti-sealing propoganda link you listed.

You realize of course you have world opinion against the seal hunt and the only reason the federal government supports it is it a 'cheap way out'.
When a single pelt is selling for more than a barel of oil, then some people are obiviously surporting the seal hunt.

You starting to sound like Heather Mills-McCartney. :rolleyes: Another PETA fanatic.

geoffrey

You wrote- " No difference than killing a seal than killing a chicken."

That's not the point.

The point is chickens are bred specifically for that purpose in private facilites as a BUISNESS.

Seals unlike fish (for food) are MAINLY killed for their SKINS on public facilites as a private buisness thus bypassing the added cost of breeding, feeding, slaughtering, transporting and selling the animals as buisness on private property.

In other words the sealing cull is an unecessary attack on wildlife prompted by greed.

geoffrey

You wrote- " No difference than killing a seal than killing a chicken."

That's not the point.

The point is chickens are bred specifically for that purpose in private facilites as a BUISNESS.

Seals unlike fish (for food) are MAINLY killed for their SKINS on public facilites as a private buisness thus bypassing the added cost of breeding, feeding, slaughtering, transporting and selling the animals as buisness on private property.

In other words the sealing cull is an unecessary attack on wildlife prompted by greed.

So we should never eat fish. We actually suffocate them to death, much more brutal.

And the difference is? NOTHING!

geoffrey

You wrote- " So we should never eat fish. We actually suffocate them to death, much more brutal. And the difference is nothing."

The point again it is cruel to kill seals mainly for there pelts and not for food.

If you consider killing seals a legitimate and ethical industry good for you, I don't along with many others.

The day of wearing animal skins for clothing and protection is 'passe' as many other products are readily avaiable to the consumer.

We are no longer cave men.

Bryan

You wrote- " Freshly clubbed seals are a rich source of Omega-3."

Ever hear of Chia....

http://www.newstarget.com/019312.html

Even carrots are rich in Omega-3 as well as well as many other foods.

Vegetable sources of Omega 3 are negligible. First, the total levels are low compared to seafood oils, and the ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 is far too skewed towards the Omega 6's to be of benefit. Second, the Omega 3 found in grains is ALA, not DHA and EPA. Your body has to convert ALA to EPA and DHA in order to be absorbed, and this process is an inefficient one, resulting in even less Omega 3 actually getting used.

Personally, I stick to eating Salmon for my Omega 3's. However, if a Seal Oil were to be marketed as a dietary supplement, I definitely would buy it.

The seal cull is a small part of the fur trade in this country, the numbers culled today are peanuts compared to say 20 years ago. The fur trade has been a major influence on the growth of our Nation, and it was'nt that long ago when it was still big bussiness to do so.

There will always be a demand for fur, and as long is there is a dollar to be made people in this country will continue to trap,club,hunt animals for thier hides. it is considered an honest living.

Animals are harvested for dozens of reasons that the carcus is not consumed, for tropies, for parts ie bear paws and testicles, and just for sport etc etc..

Even DFO does it, Salmon in parts of NB are harvested just for the Rowe for fish farms the carcus are then discarded normally to the dump.

You don't like it then don't do it, who are we to say that an indiv can not make a living at this. Just because they don't eat what they kill. perhaps if they were on the endangered list but harp seals are not.