New Main Topic ?

Hey Greg and Co.

I was hoping you would consider a new main topic thread for the main page. Literature. Stuff we read, books that are about out political landscape. Authors who tell us their views of the landscape. Support/dismiss and the discussion about stuff we read.

I am wanting to know what kind of support for this new topic/thread idea I could muster.

Thanks !!

Dear GostHacked,

I was hoping you would consider a new main topic thread for the main page. Literature

This is a political forum, and Greg makes it clear that it is to remain as such. I am sure you could start a thread discussing the impact of literature on politics, but if you start telling everyone how moved you were when Curious George had to get x-rays to remove a puzzle piece, I am guessing the thread would be deemed 'not relevant'.

when Curious George had to get x-rays to remove a puzzle piece

Hey, I remember that book.

An insightful look at our health care system, IMHO :D

Additionally, a fine piece of political allegory, ie; don't swallow what the government tells you until you've heard the whole story.

Taking in only little pieces can lead to indigestion.

Dear GostHacked,
I was hoping you would consider a new main topic thread for the main page. Literature

This is a political forum, and Greg makes it clear that it is to remain as such. I am sure you could start a thread discussing the impact of literature on politics, but if you start telling everyone how moved you were when Curious George had to get x-rays to remove a puzzle piece, I am guessing the thread would be deemed 'not relevant'.

I am not talking about Tom Clancy novels here dude. or let's say TV shows like 24, or the West Wing. I am talking about books written by political leaders, present and past, and university professors and such. Part of the reason the site here exists (to me anyways) is to educate along with debate. People who are IN the process, books by them, who make and influence the process.

Could talk about the merits of the book ect. Also those books are out there to tell their side of the story. We all could learn alot by what we read and passing vital information along to others.

The reason I am asking this is because I want to read more myself. I want to know what books influence your views/desicions on the political landscape. We can scour the MSM all we like, but sometimes it helps to consider other avenues.

Dear GostHacked,

I am talking about books written by political leaders, present and past, and university professors and such. Part of the reason the site here exists (to me anyways) is to educate along with debate. People who are IN the process, books by them, who make and influence the process.
Well said. I believe that no particular section is needed, you could easily start a 'new topic' discussing a particular line of questioning, and ask what books others have read (and contribute what you may have read on that paticular subject), and how true/influential they are.

Be prepared for a lot of 'ad hominem' attacks, though, even some of the books I have referenced by 'inside experts', such as "Imperial Hubris" by author Anonymous (CIA officer Michael Scheuer, head of the 'Bin Laden desk' at the CIA), have been 'pooh-poohed' as partisanship (or, as August1991 so dismissed as 'probably a low-level apologist')

Ages ago, I suggested the following (slightly modified below):

The suggested line up would be:

Canadian Politics

-Federal Politics

-Provincial Politics

International Politics

-Canada/US Relations

-US Politics

-Rest of the World

Philosophy, Religion, Culture

-Moral & Religious Issues

-Book/Movie/TV Reviews

News and Support

-Support and Questions

-News and Announcements

----

Be prepared for a lot of 'ad hominem' attacks, though, even some of the books I have referenced by 'inside experts', such as "Imperial Hubris" by author Anonymous (CIA officer Michael Scheuer, head of the 'Bin Laden desk' at the CIA), have been 'pooh-poohed' as partisanship (or, as August1991 so dismissed as 'probably a low-level apologist')
I never said that, did I? I got the book, read it and came away with the impression that Scheuer had an axe to grind and a strong desire to make a few bucks.

• Forum Admin

August,

I'm open to restructuring the forum as you've proposed. However, everyone will need to work to make sure that the Book/Movie/TV Reviews section doesn't dissolve into, "Did you see Survivor last night?" type of conversations. And if the level of conversation does go south, I will remove that section.

Everyong Agree?

August,

I'm open to restructuring the forum as you've proposed. However, everyone will need to work to make sure that the Book/Movie/TV Reviews section doesn't dissolve into, "Did you see Survivor last night?" type of conversations. And if the level of conversation does go south, I will remove that section.

Everyong Agree?

Agreed! Thanks for considering it Greg.

In my opinion, television is what you get in lieu of culture. However, I understand it is quite popular. However, there are a great deal of important books, documentaries and allegory out there. I have no objections to a format change.
Thelonious, I tend to agree with you, but I'm no snob. I rarely if ever watch TV in part because I find the advertisements more interesting than the programmes. Television is produced so quickly that it's more technique than art.

----

I don't know why I put TV in the culture column. I put Movies in because I thought we could discuss new ones. I just saw Capote (filmed in Manitoba) and I would have a few comments. Similarly, I've always got a book or two on the go.

We once had a computer thread that was useful (and popular) and a hockey thread would attract posters. But I suppose other forums exist for such.

Anyway, that's good news Greg. Let's see where it goes (if anywhere).

----

Actually, I believe you said 'junior-level apologist'.
But he was! The CIA, the DIA, State are filled with such report-writing analysts. They tend to see trees but are blind to forests, and they tend to have an inflated view of their own importance.

You know allowing a limited number of off topic threads may not be such a bad idea for the general flow and behavoir on the forum. All to often we sit behind a computer screen and see people as that lonnie left wing guy, that rightwing nut job, that pinko commie and so on and so... I realise there is opposition to this because this is a political forum, but knowing posters as people instead of as a backwards pain in the ass <insert affiliation here> may be benificial to the forum. But just a thought, other then that I don't mind the idea of the proposed change, and including telivision may not be a bad thing, you could probabley generate alot of interestign conversation on some Movie/T.V documentary, especially when members of this forum can send out advanced notice.

In my opinion, television is what you get in lieu of culture. However, I understand it is quite popular. However, there are a great deal of important books, documentaries and allegory out there. I have no objections to a format change.

Thelonious, I tend to agree with you, but I'm no snob. I rarely if ever watch TV in part because I find the advertisements more interesting than the programmes. Television is produced so quickly that it's more technique than art.

Telling any story, real or imagined, is about technique and art. I too rarely watch TV now. I'm not entirely sure why I lost interest. Was it that I grew more sophisticated, or that the level of humour, art, and sophistication of television programs deteriorated since the days I used to actually read TV Guide to see what was going to happen with my favourite shows? There used to be a lot of good programs, many of which were ahead of their time, dragging a backward culture with them and arousing national debate. What do we have now? The Rick Mercer report? The West Wing? (which has been cancelled, damn it).

I once read that in their desperate attempt to appeal to a younger audience (whose minds are considered more maleable by advertisers) the main networks wound up hiring younger "hip" writers, so that the average age of a television show writer now is something like 24. Not to be insulting to youth, but a lot of the dialogue and characterization they think is clever were cliche'd before they were born. Those of us over 40 have already seen the same plots dozens of times over. Add in pretty faces instead of good actors and the glut of "reality" shows, and television is largely a wasteland.

Telling any story, real or imagined, is about technique and art. I too rarely watch TV now. I'm not entirely sure why I lost interest. Was it that I grew more sophisticated, or that the level of humour, art, and sophistication of television programs deteriorated since the days I used to actually read TV Guide to see what was going to happen with my favourite shows? There used to be a lot of good programs, many of which were ahead of their time, dragging a backward culture with them and arousing national debate. What do we have now? The Rick Mercer report? The West Wing? (which has been cancelled, damn it).

I once read that in their desperate attempt to appeal to a younger audience (whose minds are considered more maleable by advertisers) the main networks wound up hiring younger "hip" writers, so that the average age of a television show writer now is something like 24. Not to be insulting to youth, but a lot of the dialogue and characterization they think is clever were cliche'd before they were born. Those of us over 40 have already seen the same plots dozens of times over. Add in pretty faces instead of good actors and the glut of "reality" shows, and television is largely a wasteland.

Again, I am not talking about West Wing...... This is the thing Greg wants to avoid, and I agree. I won't even object of having the new topic pulled due to that kind of talk.

Let me start.

I wanted to read more on the history of the US and the Middle East for the last 40 years. I was pointed to a book called 'Epic Encounters - Culture, Media and US Interests in the Middle East since 1945' by Melani McAlister. It is a very complex book, it took her 40 pages to outline her thesis. Yikes! She is an associate professor of American Studies and International Affairs and George Washington University.

I am not even 50 pages into this book, but it shows me things I have never noticed. Or would not have noticed if I had not picked it up.

I understand that books, like MSM can be slanted/biased/spun, and I think it helps sometimes. I am still not sure if this book can be thrown into that new category I am looking for, but at least I would know what you people read and why. And that I am wanting to read other books or watch other compelling documentaries on the politics.

Let me start.

I wanted to read more on the history of the US and the Middle East for the last 40 years. I was pointed to a book called 'Epic Encounters - Culture, Media and US Interests in the Middle East since 1945' by Melani McAlister. It is a very complex book, it took her 40 pages to outline her thesis. Yikes! She is an associate professor of American Studies and International Affairs and George Washington University.

I am not even 50 pages into this book, but it shows me things I have never noticed. Or would not have noticed if I had not picked it up.

I understand that books, like MSM can be slanted/biased/spun, and I think it helps sometimes. I am still not sure if this book can be thrown into that new category I am looking for, but at least I would know what you people read and why. And that I am wanting to read other books or watch other compelling documentaries on the politics.

The only problem I see is that while a conversation about television is made possible by the fact there are relatively few television shows (dozens) so that you'll probably find little difficulty in finding others who have seen the same show - well - there are tens of thousands of books. Even if you restrict yourself to political, historical non-fiction there is still a vast library. Statistically, most of the books you've read - no one else here has and vice versa.

So what this is likely to involve is: "Hey, I just read a great book about....." and maybe a "Oh, really. Maybe I'll pick it up some day" as a response. In my experience, that's the way most book groups go which are not devoted to a particular popular genre or author.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I am done that book, I must say it was a very interesting read.

McAlister makes the point of how the US media, (TV movies MSM) created an almost subconcious interest in the middle east by the american population, through media and how it is presented. In the process I learned something about the american pshyche.

Monty Burns, you would like this book, for it shows a biased from MSM that you point out.

-----

I am now reading Imad Khadduri's book called 'Iraq's Nuclear Mirage. Khadduri was an important person in Iraq's Nuclear program. Should be interesting. Will keep you posted.