Why am I forced to pay for this social liberalism agenda?

What our boy Gerry conveniently leaves out is that In the Edmonton market he cites, CBC One finishes ELEVENTH OUT OF FIFTEEN STATIONS CBC Radio 2 finishes fourteenth our of fifteen.

I didn't leave it out for convenience, I left it out because it doesn't give the full picture, as evidenced by your attempt.

You looked at only one matrix on that website, and got even that one wrong.

The summer 2005 matrix you cite actually has an "other" category that lists "including" (implying there may be more) 8 stations.

Therefore, for the summer and fall of 2005 CBC one is ELEVENTH OUT OF TWENTY THREE STATIONS listed on the matrix. CBC 2 is 14th out of 23.

Let's look at the rest of the time period matrixes:

For the spring of 2005 CBC one is NINTH OUT OF TWENTY-TWO STATIONS. CBC two was 13th.

For the fall of 2004 CBC one is NINTH OUT OF TWENTY-ONE STATIONS. CBC two was 12th.

Here's a good one:

For the summer of 2004 CBC one and two are NINTH AND TENTH OUT OF TWENTY-ONE STATIONS.

I could go on, but I've corrected you and that's enough.

Given that the lockout was in the late summer/early fall of 2005, I'd say they are doing pretty good in a Western city there.

Thanks for making my point.

The CBC rates way, way down even in the tiny markets like Edmonton.

The did finish 1th out of the fifteen that were ranked. The rest of the stations were of so little consequence they were lumped together, and CBC barely finished ahead of the. One of the stations of no consequence was also CBC, the French station.

Nobody is listening.

Next time, post the link if you don't want to get caught with your nose growing.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Station rankings are the most meaningless statistics imaginable. The difference in marketshare between 1st and 20th place could be 1 percent but you would not know it from the rankings.

CBC Radio pulls in between 10% and 15% of the rasio listening audience across the country which is a respectable share for any radio station given how fragmented the market is. The top ranked station in any market will rarely have more than 15-20% share.

ft,

Completely agreed with you about the CBC. However, Edmonton is *far* from a tiny market.

It's the fifth biggest TV market in the country. Don't know how that compares with radio rankings ... but it has gotta be close.

Here's the link so my nose doesn't grow any bigger than it already is. :lol:

Next time, post the link if you don't want to get caught with your nose growing.

Station rankings are the most meaningless statistics imaginable. The difference in marketshare between 1st and 20th place could be 1 percent but you would not know it from the rankings.

CBC Radio pulls in between 10% and 15% of the rasio listening audience across the country which is a respectable share for any radio station given how fragmented the market is. The top ranked station in any market will rarely have more than 15-20% share.

What? Station rankings are very important in the industry, they base their advertising rates on them, and advertisers want to be on the more popular stations.

It does not change the reality that CBC radio still finishes 11 th and 14th. That sucks no matter what kind of gloss you put on it. And CBC is more than a station, it is a network and the only one that has massive, coast to coast to coast coverage and broadcasting, access to far more resources than any of the commercial stations - and it still draws only 10%. 10% in that subsidized and dominant position isn't admirable, it is pathetic. Consider that 90% of Canadians would rather listen to heavily commercial crap than to the CBC. You could then argue that the audience sucks when the reality is that they'd rather listen to anything BUT the CBC.

Nobody is listening. All are paying.

Here's the link so my nose doesn't grow any bigger than it already is.
Are we switching to TV now?

And Edmonton is a small market compared to the usual top three.

Of the thirty top shows in Canada, one is CBC, and thats hockey, point and shoot the camera, add a little Cherry.

http://www.bbm.ca/en/nat01302006.pdf

The problem with CBC is shows like Au Courant. I'm sure in English Canada it gets all of 200 viewers. And it costs the taxpayer millions to produce. How stupid is that?

Of course I want to know whats new in Francophone culture. :blink:

can you give me some examples from 'your experience', where social conservatives have 'gotten in power' and provided govt funding for their content

Not particularly, but that's mostly because social conservatives tend not to be "mass communications" sorts.

My observation is that it appears to me that most social conservatives don't object to a government broadcaster per se, but rather one which doesn't support their agenda as opposed to an agenda in opposition to theirs.

I'm opposed to government broadcasters of all stripes, not because I disagree (or agree) with their content, but because government shouldn't be in the broadcasting business at all.

And I agree that FOX News is clearly, ridiculously biased, but unlike PBS, CBC, the BBC, etc., people who don't like FOX News have the option to not pay for it. Whereas the CBC and other "public" broadcasters force everyone to pay for their content -- whether or not it's of any perceived value.

Not switching to TV, but I couldn't find any market rankings for radio so I picked TV market rankings as the next closest surrogate.

So do you mean that any market not in the top 3 is *tiny* by definition? :rolleyes:

Are we switching to TV now?

And Edmonton is a small market compared to the usual top three.

Fellowtraveler your still bitchin bout the CBC? I was waiting for your reply in thread:desciples of doom. You never answered :(

Is it still around?

And it isn't bitching, it's just my small contribution to your political re-education.

A self-criticism session will be scheduled for you soon... oh wait, you are a leftie CBC lover so you know the drill.....

Fox News is a breath of fresh air.

HA HA HA HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

sorry, I thought you were joking. Fox News? Credible?

About as credible as the CBC... ;)

Why would anybody claim the CBC is biased?

Hmmm, the longest story on tonight's National is about their *stunning* accusations about Brian Mulroney and Airbus ... based on the word of Karlheinz Schreiber and some withdrawl's from a bank account Schreiber controlled on *the same days he met with Mulroney*. OMG what absolute damning evidence. Maybe the RCMP should refile those charges against Mulroney. wtf?

This *story* appears to add nothing to the case the RCMP dropped 12 years ago. A case the Feds dropped, issued a public apology over and paid Mulroney over $2,000,000 in damages for.

Hmmm, this is now a *story* again on the same week the first time a non-Liberal government takes power in more than a decade.

No bias there at all :rolleyes:

Hmmm, the longest story on tonight's National is about their *stunning* accusations about Brian Mulroney and Airbus ... based on the word of Karlheinz Schreiber and some withdrawl's from a bank account Schreiber controlled on *the same days he met with Mulroney*. OMG what absolute damning evidence. Maybe the RCMP should refile those charges against Mulroney. wtf?

This *story* appears to add nothing to the case the RCMP dropped 12 years ago. A case the Feds dropped, issued a public apology over and paid Mulroney over $2,000,000 in damages for.

Hmmm, this is now a *story* again on the same week the first time a non-Liberal government takes power in more than a decade.

Last night they showed that everyone in Calgary is red-necked gay haters too!

No bias, only truth!!

What's that got to do with Harper taking power? That isn't even the same party. Harper is leader of the Regressive Conservatives. I think you're trolling for bias. :lol:

I think Concerned made the best pro-CBC points:

Privatized networks naturally favour right wing views because they are answerable to their sponsors and are primarily profit based.

A publicly funded network balances this bias by allowing for views that are not effected by privatized sponsorship.

In Canada we enjoy both and therefore enjoy a rounded set of opinions on any particular issue.

To point out the "crap" on public networks without also pointing out the "crap" on private networks is to promote an irrelevant argument.

What of the social cost that the public pays always having to be bombarded by advertisements through any form of media? As far as I am concerned private media means that I have to watch and listen to content that I do not want to see or hear, as it is embedded in the programming and cannot easily be switched off.

And Canuck E Stan made the best points against.

I'm pro-CBC but that organization needs a thorough review. It's expensive and aloof. There are too many managers and too much nepotism.

It's notable that the most successful series of all time - "Trailer Park Boys" - was developed as a complete "outsider" project at very little cost. This is the type of thing that the CBC was developed to champion, but they totally missed it.

Yeah, considering it's CPC members who are musing about it.

"I think the right authorities will be looking into it and I'll leave it at that," Alberta MP Myron Thompson said.

"I guess the best thing the Canadian people can ask for is a thorough and fulsome investigation of whatever new charges are brought, up," said Ontario MP Garth Turner, who ran to succeed Mulroney as party leader in 1993.

CBC TV.....feh. I have no great fondness for it, although every once in a while they carry something of interest.

CBC Radio on the other hand, I appreciate in a big way. This is primarily because the programming is, for the most part, intelligent and often thought provoking. There is occasionally some crap, I agree. But there are no loud, brash commercials to annoy me, sandwiched in between crappy music, which annoys me more.

But the one big thing about the CBC is simply this, no matter where you are in Canada, you can pick up a signal, unlike any other station or network, and this was the CBC's original purpose.

Not odd at all. Simply another example of a blatant, unabashed bias on the part of the CBC. If anybody actually watched the CBC's story on Schreiber it would be painfully obvious that there was no *news* there. He has been screaming for years about his *version* of events.

Why is it suddenly newsworthy the same week a Conservative government takes power for the first time in over 12 years? It isn't. Strange how only one news outlet in the entire country thought it was. :P

Oddly enough this (the Mulroney stuff) was only an issue on the CBC. No other networks are carrying the story to the same degree. I think this speaks volumes as to the "shock-value" of Mr. Schreiber's allegations.