Why am I forced to pay for this social liberalism agenda?

The state-run taxpayer-funded CBC is at it again, this time promoting their social liberalism--and I am forced to pay for this sh*t. Privatize these leeches and let them get out in the private world--like Global and CTV--and see if they can make it.

Your tax dollars at work--videos promoting social liberalism:

Ballwaxer: Yes it is a video of a guy getting his privates waxed at a waxing establishment. *Might not be work safe*

Gay wedding: Two guys getting married. Watch at your own risk (lots of guy-on-guy kissing).

Body modification: Some dude who was more piercings than the state-run CBC's George Stroumboulopoulos--goes to a piercing parlor and gets meat hooks put in his back. Then they show the guy swinging back and forth on these meat hooks in some kind of establishment (a progressive liberal fund-raiser? ;) ).

Kids: (Don't) Try this at home.

Promoting graffiti: The CBC doesn't show the faces of these vandals. Why? Because they are engaging in an illegal activity.

An obviously wasted teenage girl spots the fuzzy CBC microphone and says that it could "tickle" her. Perhaps it was the shape of the mic?

A (stoned?) teen girl says judgemental people should take that pickle out of their a$$ and then takes a pencil and pretends to take a pickle out of her a**. What's the point of this? :huh:

Teenage boy--who "doesn't believe in clothes"--streaks through a public parking lot: *Not work safe*

Weasely American liberal who moved to Canada--goes on a long tirade bashing America before getting to the real point: "George Bush is a monkey".

What a "progressive" analysis for the kiddies. :rolleyes:

Stephen Harper should yank the $1 billion they annually get and put them out on their own. There is no balance on the CBC. It is a political organ for the Canadian left, especially the social liberal activists. The Liberal Party even picks Canada's Governor Generals from the CBC. I believe that many people would dislike their taxpayer dollars going towards programming like this. If you are a private station, air whatever you feel like. Private stations like the centre-left CTV and centrist Global are forbidden by the CRTC to have a 24 hour news station like CBC Newsworld. Unfair. Let's not forget that the wildly popular Fox News Channel was banned for 5 years in Canada. When they applied in 1999, they were told they had to have 35% Canadian content and it was to be called Fox News Canada.

Does anyone recall the CRTC putting those restrictions on CNN?

Only the uproar caused by the CRTC allowing Al Jazeera into Canada forced them to lift their 5 year ban of the FNC. What was the Liberal Party-controlled CRTC scared of?

They were scared of the masses hearing the other side, and they were scared that "their side" would be regularly demolished when forced to defend their views against right-leaning opponenets.

And their fears were justified. Fox News is a breath of fresh air. It's easy to see why it is so popular in the US.

I love watching Sean Hannity mowing down liberals with facts on the Hannity & Colmes show. :)

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The state-run taxpayer-funded CBC is at it again,

Oh for heavens sake.

Go here:

http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/program/pro...levision&genre=

See that? "Nerve" is one of hundreds of shows.

And some of what you're complaining about appears to be videos sent in by viewers. What should we do, withold thier tax rebates? :rolleyes:

Your outrage is shrill and baseless.

GOD BLESS YOU CBC, WE LOVE YOU!!!

The last bastion of unbiased commercial free radio. Always stand on guard Canada, to rightwingers the lack of rightwing bias = leftwing bias. Don't let the fascists steal the quality from the world!

While I am absolutely not in favour of government broadcasters, I also wonder if your anger about the CBC grows not out of its "public status," but rather out of the content of its broadcasts.

If it was a social conservative network, would you still be calling for its privatization? I'm not so sure.

I would be, but hey, oh well.

I saw a show on 'Street Cents' talking about how vandals (or 'artists' if your not the one paying for property damage) make cities look more trendy. Again, it showed these graffiti people committing their crimes (I thought it was against the law to watch a crime in progress and not at least report it) and the reporter interviewing them on their work (faces blurred of course).

This doesn't even cover their coziness with a terrorist group (Hamas), and how they consistantly have video of them setting up ambushes for Israeli soliders. Just must be by chance right.

Oh, it's one thing to not like the content.

It's another thing to call for privatization.

But it's my experience that most social conservatives who want something privatized only want it privatized when they disagree with the content. Once they get in power, they're all about government funding for their own content -- whether or not certain taxpayers agree with it or not.

Could you please enlighten us with an example from your experience in Canada? Or are you just going to use these fictitious *experiences* of yours derail the conversation. Like a *social conservative* calling for more government expenses/money in broadcasting?

CBC has an agenda. As a government-funded broadcaster it shouldn't. Period.

Hmmm, the Alberta government privatized Access (basically the equivalent of TVO or PBS). I can't think of any complaints from *social conservatives* about that one. (Do you feel better use that hateful buzzword without any support?)

Oh, it's one thing to not like the content.

It's another thing to call for privatization.

But it's my experience that most social conservatives who want something privatized only want it privatized when they disagree with the content. Once they get in power, they're all about government funding for their own content -- whether or not certain taxpayers agree with it or not.

Could you please enlighten us with an example from your experience in Canada? Or are you just going to use these fictitious *experiences* of yours derail the conversation. Like a *social conservative* calling for more government expenses/money in broadcasting?

CBC has an agenda.

The ironly your first paragraph against that next sentence almost made me fall down. Or is that hypocrisy?

Ahem...

Uhhhh...could you please enlighten us with an example from your experience in Canada? Or are you just going to use these fictitious *experiences* of yours derail the conversation. Like the CBC having an *agenda*

CBC has an agenda. What tin-foil hat nonsense.

It seems to me if you want the CBC to be privatized, you'd make a better case by explaining why you think the government shouldn't be financing a TV network, not by picking out videos they've shown that you personally dislike. Every organization has a bias of one sort or another: it's impossible to avoid, and the argument that "they showed a video that legitimized kids spraypainting; therefore, they should be privatized" is pretty weak.

Like a *social conservative* calling for more government expenses/money in broadcasting?

Social conservatives LOVE government spending on their special programs. Just look at school vouchers, government funded home-schooling, or religious broadcasting for examples of that.

CBC has an agenda. As a government-funded broadcaster it shouldn't.

Government funded broadcasters shouldn't exist. However, as I suspected, it appears your problem isn't with the government funding so much as it is with the content.

If the CBC was broadcasting Christian Bible Hour and anti-gay documentaries talking about how awful gay marriage is, I suspect you'd be all for it and blasting people calling for privatisation as "cultural liberals against the majority."

It seems to me if you want the CBC to be privatized, you'd make a better case by explaining why you think the government shouldn't be financing a TV network

Actually, I have yet to see a case for why the government SHOULD be funding a TV network.

Ooooooh, the be all and end all. Tin-foil hat, you got me. What a great addition to the debate. :rolleyes:

Just watch *The Hour* to see the agenda of the CBC.

Lok at the questions thrown at the leader's during the town hall's during the election. Look at the examples given by the OP. The agenda exists, it is real.

Heck, look at Keith Boag's coverage of CBC News. Look at *anything* Evan Solomon does.

CBC has an agenda. What tin-foil hat nonsense.

In September of 2003, I had issues with "Nerve."

I complained to the CBC because it was listed under the banner of "TEENS" on the CBC start-up page.

At that time when you opened up the TEEN portion of the site and clicked on Nerve the first thing you saw was an advisory that this was for mature audiences (on a teen site?).

So a teen(still aged 13 to 18 as far as I remember) could go on and see all of these clips of Ballwaxing,Gay Marriage,Running naked through a parking lot,etc.

With a 13 year old girl in the house,I didn't believe this kind of material was appropriate for young teens.

Mature advisory or not,won't stop any teen from looking, but putting it on a CBC teen site?

Back then they listed all the people who were involved in the Nerve segments, not one was a teen.

All were in their twenties and all thought their were just "cool teens."

I think this whole site was developed around the "JackAss" stuff that was popular then.

A year later I believe it was still on the "Teen" segment of CBC with the mature advisory.

I gave up on trying to put some sense into CBC, and now I see it no longer is attached to the "Teen" segment.Where was their thinking?

-CES

The state-run taxpayer-funded CBC is at it again, this time promoting their social liberalism--and I am forced to pay for this sh*t. Privatize these leeches and let them get out in the private world--like Global and CTV--and see if they can make it.

Ballwaxer: Yes it is a video of a guy getting his privates waxed at a waxing establishment. *Might not be work safe*

Gay wedding: Two guys getting married. Watch at your own risk (lots of guy-on-guy kissing).

Body modification: Some dude who was more piercings than the state-run CBC's George Stroumboulopoulos--goes to a piercing parlor and gets meat hooks put in his back. Then they show the guy swinging back and forth on these meat hooks in some kind of establishment (a progressive liberal fund-raiser? ;) ).

Promoting graffiti: The CBC doesn't show the faces of these vandals. Why? Because they are engaging in an illegal activity.

An obviously wasted teenage girl spots the fuzzy CBC microphone and says that it could "tickle" her. Perhaps it was the shape of the mic?

A (stoned?) teen girl says judgemental people should take that pickle out of their a$$ and then takes a pencil and pretends to take a pickle out of her a**. What's the point of this? :huh:

Teenage boy--who "doesn't believe in clothes"--streaks through a public parking lot: *Not work safe*

Weasely American liberal who moved to Canada--goes on a long tirade bashing America before getting to the real point: "George Bush is a monkey".

Stephen Harper should yank the $1 billion they annually get and put them out on their own. There is no balance on the CBC. It is a political organ for the Canadian left, especially the social liberal activists. The Liberal Party even picks Canada's Governor Generals from the CBC. I believe that many people would dislike their taxpayer dollars going towards programming like this. If you are a private station, air whatever you feel like. Private stations like the centre-left CTV and centrist Global are forbidden by the CRTC to have a 24 hour news station like CBC Newsworld. Unfair. Let's not forget that the wildly popular Fox News Channel was banned for 5 years in Canada. When they applied in 1999, they were told they had to have 35% Canadian content and it was to be called Fox News Canada.

Only the uproar caused by the CRTC allowing Al Jazeera into Canada forced them to lift their 5 year ban of the FNC. What was the Liberal Party-controlled CRTC scared of?

They were scared of the masses hearing the other side, and they were scared that "their side" would be regularly demolished when forced to defend their views against right-leaning opponenets.

And their fears were justified. Fox News is a breath of fresh air. It's easy to see why it is so popular in the US.

I love watching Sean Hannity mowing down liberals with facts on the Hannity & Colmes show. :)

I must say that I agree with that statement. Our government has no business owning a supposed news network. All tax-dollars should be cut immediately, and these leeches should be forced to fund themselves through shareholder's dollars or close. Sink or swim people!

Fine. Then don't give taxpayer money to *any* news organization.

I don't think it's possible to report on something and not have a some sort of slant come through. There is no such thing as an unbiased reporter. If you think there is one, they're probably just so in line with your own views, you can't spot the bias.

Those clips are the stupidest things I have ever seen in my entire life. If that is where my tax dollars go, I am behind Montgomery Burns 100%.

I think we should able to see Canadian content if we want to. But that stuff is just childish. The bitching American one is probably the worst one, the ungrateful liberal scum that guy is, but the ball-waxing one is equally appalling.

CBC needs to get its act together. It was not founded for such blatant partisan purposes.

Those clips are the stupidest things I have ever seen in my entire life. If that is where my tax dollars go, I am behind Montgomery Burns 100%.

Look back. This is one show out of hundreds, and many of those clips are submitted by the public.

Are you suggesting the CBC censure Canadians becuase you don't like the content?

This; as a critisism of the CBC, is truely the most pathetic objection I've ever seen. The CBC has ideological enemies who resent the fact that it's not rightwing. Anything not rightwing (but centrist as the CBC is) is condemned by rightwing fundamentalists as being leftwing.

ie. anything left of them is left.

Sad.

It was not founded for such blatant partisan purposes.

What "partisan purposes"? WTH are you talking about? Stop making empty accusations and give us some specifics. And pointing at a couple of clips on a single show (which may have been submitted by viewers) does not make your case, just so you know.

How about this past election? It should be easy for you to find "partisan" activity there if indeed the CBC is what you claim it is. Can you?

I've seen right-leaning posters here point out that the National "your turn" hammered Martin and went relatively easy on Harper. Agree? Disagree? I've pointed out that the CBC didn't even touch the incredible news of Harper locking down media access 2 days before vote to protect his lead. Accountability? Transparancey? Huh? What say you?

All the bullsh#t about CBC being a leftist partisan organization is pure invention by people who want to utilize the network for thier rightwing partisan goals. Look at how much media is pure rightwing....talk radio and Sun Media....obviously they want more.

Easy big fellow. Nobody is talking about censoring the CBC.

Just give it the same amount of money that CTV, The Globe and Mail, Global, etc. get from the government.

All the bullsh#t about CBC being a leftist partisan organization is pure invention by people who want to utilize the network for thier rightwing partisan goals. Look at how much media is pure rightwing....talk radio and Sun Media....obviously they want more.

Make sure the Globe and Mail gets $800 milion per year from the government?

That is a classicly Canadian solution.

It does not matter if the bias is right wing or left wing. The acknowledgement of the existence of bias itself is sufficient to warrant cancellation of any direct government involvement in the media.

I would agree that the government should spend advertising money evenly amongst publications or privately owned radio/TV, based on their circulation.

But there is no longer any justification for them to continue to provide a few Canadians with entertainment at the expense of all.

Just give it the same amount of money that CTV, The Globe and Mail, Global, etc. get from the government.

Pay attention shoop. My quote was

"Are you suggesting the CBC censure Canadians becuase you don't like the content?"

Do not misrepresent what I've said Ok? Thanks.

Go ahead and lobby for giving equal payments to those other organizations. Try to touch the CBC though and there will be riots!

Have you ever listened to CBC radio? I mean, really made an attempt? It's slipped a bit since the lockout, but it's still heads and tails above everything else out there.

Pay attention shoop. My quote was

"Are you suggesting the CBC censure Canadians becuase you don't like the content?"

Do not misrepresent what I've said Ok? Thanks.

Go ahead and lobby for giving equal payments to those other organizations. Try to touch the CBC though and there will be riots!

Have you ever listened to CBC radio? I mean, really made an attempt? It's slipped a bit since the lockout, but it's still heads and tails above everything else out there.

Riots of all the ten people that listen to it.